ADVERTISEMENT

BB RECRUITING Portal Shopping

Skylar Gill formerly of North Alabama has left Kansas. She’s an interesting player, plays the 3 and one of the top shot blockers of n the country while at UNA at only 5-10 or 5-11. Didn’t get much playing time at Kansas. She’s an Insell type player IMHO. I wonder if the program is interested in her?
Where was that reported? Not saying you’re wrong, but I don’t see her listed on the portal tracker or her personal Twitter.

It’s of note she is followed by Matt on Twitter.

Reactions: Tomorrow299
Just not a program I regard as holding WBB to a pedastal that would shell out that kind of money to pull 2 of the top 10 transfers in the country.

I mean they nearly lost their season in December and held open tryouts for walk-ons!
Me neither, but maybe a decision was made to prioritize WBB. Otherwise there really isn't a reason I can come up with

Reactions: jakeboldenbrp
She is a perfect fit for our program. She know us and we for sure remember her. I actual made that suggestion to her half way thru the 4th quarter of our game back in Dec! Wish she had pulled the trigger earlier. Not sure we need her now?

Reactions: MTOleBlue
She is a perfect fit for our program. She know us and we for sure remember her. I actual made that suggestion to her half way thru the 4th quarter of our game back in Dec! Wish she had pulled the trigger earlier. Not sure we need her now?
Maybe not "need" but your never turning away forwards who can stretch the floor with SEC experience, let her and Arike compete for a starting spot

I imagine she's used to receiving NIL compensation of some variety. Would like to know what a player like her was receiving in NIL last year. It may not have been significant. She certainly would give us the size and added talent to compete with just about anyone on our schedule next year, including USC possibly. Be great to see her in a Blue Raider uniform playing against the orange in Knoxville.

I imagine she's used to receiving NIL compensation of some variety. Would like to know what a player like her was receiving in NIL last year. It may not have been significant. She certainly would give us the size and added talent to compete with just about anyone on our schedule next year, including USC possibly. Be great to see her in a Blue Raider uniform playing against the orange in Knoxville.
I’m not so sure that our ladies don’t get a nil package. I know they’ve done a couple of commercials, and Matt is crafty as hell. I’m also thinking that the wealthier fans are giving to this program. It’s probably not UT women’s money, but 1k a month is still a lot for a college kid with no bills

I’m not so sure that our ladies don’t get a nil package. I know they’ve done a couple of commercials, and Matt is crafty as hell. I’m also thinking that the wealthier fans are giving to this program. It’s probably not UT women’s money, but 1k a month is still a lot for a college kid with no bills
One thing I brought up on our NIL posting recently was I hope the season ticket package can be updated for when they come out this fall. When renewing would be great to have an option for NIL donation to be included on season ticket purchase. Be very simple to have say a $30 donation allotted to our NIL collective. If we could get 1,500 to 2,000 season ticket holders to buy in that would be an extremely easy way of picking up another $50 - $60k in NIL for men's or women's program.
Last year it was only $125 for a women's season ticket pkg. The difference between $125 & $155 for a MT women's fan is virtually negligible, & would be a great of promoting support to our players. Ideleon quickly responded, & said it's something they're looking in to. I hope it comes about.

One thing I brought up on our NIL posting recently was I hope the season ticket package can be updated for when they come out this fall. When renewing would be great to have an option for NIL donation to be included on season ticket purchase. Be very simple to have say a $30 donation allotted to our NIL collective. If we could get 1,500 to 2,000 season ticket holders to buy in that would be an extremely easy way of picking up another $50 - $60k in NIL for men's or women's program.
Last year it was only $125 for a women's season ticket pkg. The difference between $125 & $155 for a MT women's fan is virtually negligible, & would be a great of promoting support to our players. Ideleon quickly responded, & said it's something they're looking in to. I hope it comes about.
For that matter it could be done at the walk up counter for single ticket purchases as well. For a $20 ticket just give $25 designating the other $5 to go towards the team's NIL fund. Being fan based money one would think this should be an easy & great way to build our NIL funding.

Year 2 ✔️ can be taken two ways.
A) 2 years of college down. Neither worked out, & time now for next chapter at new school.
Or,
B) She's revised her original decision to enter portal, & is looking forward to year 2 here.

Could be wrong of course, my interpretation anyway. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Year 2 ✔️ can be taken two ways.
A) 2 years of college down. Neither worked out, & time now for next chapter at new school.
Or,
B) She's revised her original decision to enter portal, & is looking forward to year 2 here.

Could be wrong of course, my interpretation anyway. Guess we'll find out soon enough.
B was my initial thought and the fact no one said “best of luck” or “you’ll be missed” is why I took it that way.

I have an internal source that says she’s confirmed still in the portal. Doesn’t mean she couldn’t still return.

B was my initial thought and the fact no one said “best of luck” or “you’ll be missed” is why I took it that way.

I have an internal source that says she’s confirmed still in the portal. Doesn’t mean she couldn’t still return.
Would it be solely her choice? Nothing against her, I wished she would have seen the court more, but are coaches obligated to a student athlete once they announce they've entered the portal???

Would it be solely her choice? Nothing against her, I wished she would have seen the court more, but are coaches obligated to a student athlete once they announce they've entered the portal???
I’m not sure. I’ve always considered it like free agency. She can come back if their is still a spot for her and I’d assume the coaches would need to be willing.

May be a similar situation to Eli Lawrence last year. From what I understand, he decided he wanted to stay after entering the portal but the team voted for him not to return.

• Wow
Reactions: MTOleBlue and Hop45
I don't live anywhere near Murfreesboro but would be willing to buy that package.

May be a similar situation to Eli Lawrence last year. From what I understand, he decided he wanted to stay after entering the portal but the team voted for him not to return.
That would be true. Though, to credit our ladies, they seem like more of a cohesive unit and family than the men's team did/does...

In response to MTSU players getting some type of NIL package, Jaylen Gregory has something and I think Savannah does also. Tamia just signed up with APEX Athlete Management and when you check them out, they initially help with NIL agreements with athletes. You could eventually see this being used to shop players around along with NIL. Hopefully for now, it is just to help her get and keep NIL agreements here.

Reactions: MTOleBlue and Hop45
In response to MTSU players getting some type of NIL package, Jaylen Gregory has something and I think Savannah does also. Tamia just signed up with APEX Athlete Management and when you check them out, they initially help with NIL agreements with athletes. You could eventually see this being used to shop players around along with NIL. Hopefully for now, it is just to help her get and keep NIL agreements here.
I believe a portion of the money from sales at the Boulevard from the season wrap-up dinner also went into the ladies' NIL fund.

Updated Portal List after some commitments

Names that I like:
Elina Arike, 6'2" F, Sr. Texas Tech -> Middle Tennessee
Elle Evans
, 6'3" G, Soph. North Dakota State
Denim Deshields, 5'5" G, Soph. UAB
Alexis Mead, 5'5" G, Jr. Western Kentucky
Caitlin Weimar, 6'4" F, Sr. Boston U
Gracie Merkle, 6'6" C, Soph. Bellarmine -> Penn State
McKinley Brooks-Sumpter
, 5'7" G, Sr. UNC-Asheville -> Charleston
Tessa Miller
, 6'2" C, Jr. Belmont -> Clemson

Other names to keep an eye on:
Jayden Marable, 5'6" G, Sr. Northern Illinois
Makayla Andrews, 5'10" G Sr. Lafayette
Alexsia Rose, 5'7" G Sr. UMass
Khamari Mitchell-Steen, 5'7" G Jr. Northern Kentucky
Joiya Maddox, 6'0" G Sr. Chattanooga
Emma Theodorsson, 6'1" F Soph. Bucknell -> Loyola-Chicago
Alexis Whitfield
, 6'2" F Sr. UC-Santa Barbara
Jazion Jackson, 5'9" G Sr. Texas Tech
Caroline Lyles, 6'0" G Soph. Tulsa
Jane Nwaba, 5’10" F Sr. Pepperdine
Laniah Randle, 5'11" F Jr. Southern Illinois -> Missouri
Emily Monson
, 6'1" G Fr. Purdue

P5's that could realistically fall through:
Janae Walker, 6'4" F Fr. Kentucky
Bailey Gilmore, 6'3" F Fr. Vanderbilt
Gabby Hutcherson, 6'2" F Sr. Pittsburgh
Cameron Williams, 6'3" F Sr. Michigan
Alyssa Latham, 6'2" F Fr. Syracuse -> Tennessee
Malea Williams
, 6'4" F Sr. Cincinnati
Zoesha Smith, 6'1" F Sr. Georgia -> Georgia Tech

Longshots:
Kaylene Smikle, 6’0" G Soph. Rutgers -> Maryland
Maddie Scherr
, 5’11" G Sr. Kentucky -> TCU
Terren Ward
, 5’11" G Sr. Georgia Southern
Taliah Scott, 5’9" G Fr. Arkansas -> Auburn
Hailey Van Lith
, 5'7" G Sr. LSU -> TCU
Karoline Striplin
, 6'3" F Sr. Tennessee

Last edited:
8 days since our last commitment. Any rumors floating around towards next possible arrival either via international or portal?

8 days since our last commitment. Any rumors floating around towards next possible arrival either via international or portal?
I know they're still looking to add at the guard position if it's a good fit. My priority would still be at the true point guard position. Denim Deshields (Soph. G UAB) is yet to commit and she is a player I'm sure the Lady Raiders' staff is/still targeting.

Another name to keep an eye on from South Dakota, Kendall Holmes (5'10" Jr. G). Holmes entered the portal prior to the news that Head Coach Kayla Karius would take the vacant job at Green Bay. Holmes played 3 seasons at DePaul, earned a starting spot her Junior season averaged nearly 10 ppg while shooting 38% from 3. At SD, over 60% of her shot attempts were from beyond the arc where she made 35%. Holmes was the second leading scorer (11.4 ppg) for the Coyotes that finished 4th in The Summit League. Very quick release, teams cant afford to lose her on the perimeter. Would be a depth piece (at the 2 and/or 3) on the current roster.

I'd speculate that their is something in the international pipeline, but I'd assume it would be a center in the high school class of '25.

I know they're still looking to add at the guard position if it's a good fit. My priority would still be at the true point guard position. Denim Deshields (Soph. G UAB) is yet to commit and she is a player I'm sure the Lady Raiders' staff is/still targeting.

Another name to keep an eye on from South Dakota, Kendall Holmes (5'10" Jr. G). Holmes entered the portal prior to the news that Head Coach Kayla Karius would take the vacant job at Green Bay. Holmes played 3 seasons at DePaul, earned a starting spot her Junior season averaged nearly 10 ppg while shooting 38% from 3. At SD, over 60% of her shot attempts were from beyond the arc where she made 35%. Holmes was the second leading scorer (11.4 ppg) for the Coyotes that finished 4th in The Summit League. Very quick release, teams cant afford to lose her on the perimeter. Would be a depth piece (at the 2 and/or 3) on the current roster.

I'd speculate that their is something in the international pipeline, but I'd assume it would be a center in the high school class of '25.
Skyler Gill out of Kansas (North Alabama), went with FGCU. I wish we could get them on our schedule, that would be a great annual series.

Reactions: jakeboldenbrp
Skyler Gill out of Kansas (North Alabama), went with FGCU. I wish we could get them on our schedule, that would be a great annual series.
Wholeheartedly agree. There are so few Top 100 Mid-Majors that I'd much rather fill our schedule up with them, so we help each other out. UTC, Green Bay, Harvard, Princeton, Gonzaga, Drake, Creighton are some we should seek to schedule

Wholeheartedly agree. There are so few Top 100 Mid-Majors that I'd much rather fill our schedule up with them, so we help each other out. UTC, Green Bay, Harvard, Princeton, Gonzaga, Drake, Creighton are some we should seek to schedule
I believe we have a return trip to Princeton this year (unless last year was a one and done deal). I’m excited for that if we do because that’s about an hour drive away for me lol

Reactions: Tomorrow299
I believe we have a return trip to Princeton this year (unless last year was a one and done deal). I’m excited for that if we do because that’s about an hour drive away for me lol
Hopefully we can find a way to make it a regular thing. Need to get back to playing a tough OOC to offset playing in a bad conference

Hopefully we can find a way to make it a regular thing. Need to get back to playing a tough OOC to offset playing in a bad conference
Updated Portal List after some commitments

Names that I like:
Elina Arike, 6'2" F, Sr. Texas Tech -> Middle Tennessee
Elle Evans
, 6'3" G, Soph. North Dakota State
Denim Deshields, 5'5" G, Soph. UAB
Alexis Mead, 5'5" G, Jr. Western Kentucky
Caitlin Weimar, 6'4" F, Sr. Boston U
Gracie Merkle, 6'6" C, Soph. Bellarmine -> Penn State
McKinley Brooks-Sumpter
, 5'7" G, Sr. UNC-Asheville -> Charleston
Tessa Miller
, 6'2" C, Jr. Belmont -> Clemson

Other names to keep an eye on:
Jayden Marable, 5'6" G, Sr. Northern Illinois
Makayla Andrews, 5'10" G Sr. Lafayette
Alexsia Rose, 5'7" G Sr. UMass
Khamari Mitchell-Steen, 5'7" G Jr. Northern Kentucky
Joiya Maddox, 6'0" G Sr. Chattanooga
Emma Theodorsson, 6'1" F Soph. Bucknell -> Loyola-Chicago
Alexis Whitfield
, 6'2" F Sr. UC-Santa Barbara
Jazion Jackson, 5'9" G Sr. Texas Tech
Caroline Lyles, 6'0" G Soph. Tulsa
Jane Nwaba, 5’10" F Sr. Pepperdine
Laniah Randle, 5'11" F Jr. Southern Illinois -> Missouri
Emily Monson
, 6'1" G Fr. Purdue

P5's that could realistically fall through:
Janae Walker, 6'4" F Fr. Kentucky
Bailey Gilmore, 6'3" F Fr. Vanderbilt
Gabby Hutcherson, 6'2" F Sr. Pittsburgh
Cameron Williams, 6'3" F Sr. Michigan
Alyssa Latham, 6'2" F Fr. Syracuse -> Tennessee
Malea Williams
, 6'4" F Sr. Cincinnati
Zoesha Smith, 6'1" F Sr. Georgia -> Georgia Tech

Longshots:
Kaylene Smikle, 6’0" G Soph. Rutgers -> Maryland
Maddie Scherr
, 5’11" G Sr. Kentucky -> TCU
Terren Ward
, 5’11" G Sr. Georgia Southern
Taliah Scott, 5’9" G Fr. Arkansas -> Auburn
Hailey Van Lith
, 5'7" G Sr. LSU -> TCU
Karoline Striplin
, 6'3" F Sr. Tennessee
Faith Alston out of Appalachian St. is a recent entry into the portal that would be a great addition IMHO. She only has one year of eligibility, but she would be a great PG addition ifwe don’t get Diamond Deshields. I’m not sure which one I like the best, Deshields has the pedigree, but Alston plays with a helluva lot of poise and control. Here are her stats from 2023-2024. 18.3 PPG, 3.2 RPG, 4.7 APG, 1.9 steals/game; second team All–Sun Belt (she got robbed, should’ve been First Team). She’s 5’7”.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT