ADVERTISEMENT

Stockstill's Buyout...a Tale of Misery

I'm of the opinion that no harm no foul, given the ZERO chance that that would gain traction, it is absurd to begin, totally laughable and not going to be seriously considered.

Even if done as a joke it is unacceptable and an unbelievably disloyal and stupid thing to do. People have been fired for joking in a much less damaging manner. Fire his ass summarily.

Even if done as a joke it is unacceptable and an unbelievably disloyal and stupid thing to do. People have been fired for joking in a much less damaging manner. Fire his ass summarily.
Look at it from this perspective. What if CRS put him up to it?????

If Massaro can prove it then both need to be gone and it would be for cause which probably saves the school $6 million we don’t even have the resources to pay. I emailed my feelings to Massaro this morning.

Massaro should have chimed in on that comments thread and given that post a big ole LIKE

Massaro should have chimed in on that comments thread and given that post a big ole LIKE
My first thought when I read it was could it be one of those late night social media epiphanies after a tough loss that one would like to have back the next morning when we read it. Even if so, no justification for it.

Too bad there is an open week, no press conference or coach's show this week for Joe Spears or Chip to ask Stockstill to gauge his interest in his Alma Mater's opening. LOL

Maybe on his weekly wnsr radio interview, Joe Dubin or Greg will ask him...

Reactions: BlueAlpha
He is employed by Middle Tennessee State University at the pleasure of his Head Coach, Richard Stockstill.

If I was actively promoting my boss to another institution in my industry, I would be gone before I could clean out my desk.

I think this is key. It would be one thing if someone asked him about Stock and he said something like he thinks RS would do a great job anywhere.

However, to publicly promote CRS to leave MT, while employed by MT, is completely unacceptable. If MT leadership doesn’t remove Brent, they confirm every negative thing anyone has ever said about them.

Gentlemen I sent a stern email to Massaro and I suggest that a few others do as well. I will be following up as well to ensure a proper answer is given. I’m sick and tired of some things with this athletic department

Reactions: Raiders_55
Can someone post this on twitter and tell me where to find it? We can blow up the meadia with some retweets And see if anyone runs with it.

this is as pathetic as it gets. Massaro should do something, this is sooooo bad.

Reactions: Raiders_55
Can someone post this on twitter and tell me where to find it? We can blow up the meadia with some retweets And see if anyone runs with it.

this is as pathetic as it gets. Massaro should do something, this is sooooo bad.

We can't blow up anything using social media. There aren't enough people who care that are left. Literally, there are only a few hundred folks that will show up every week.

Reactions: BigBlueBrad
Gentlemen I sent a stern email to Massaro and I suggest that a few others do as well. I will be following up as well to ensure a proper answer is given. I’m sick and tired of some things with this athletic department

Would love to hear Massaro's reply

A pull from a story about FSU. Thought a big part of it was telling. Well several.

......Coburn estimated Taggart's buyout would be right around $18 million, and the university will have to pay more to some of the assistant coaches who aren't retained by the new coach.

But, he said, the cost of paying that money would be less than the loss of revenue that would continue if the football team keeps losing more than it wins. And he implied that the buyout total could be negotiated.

"When you do the numbers, it just made more sense to do this," Coburn said. "It was not an easy decision. … The questions were all asked about season-ticket sales, booster contributions. We looked at it pretty thoroughly.

"We looked at the pluses and minuses and really didn't see any upside to waiting. … Frankly, 6-6 isn't good enough."

I mean yes they are a P5 but to have an AD think that way. Wow. What a concept. Hey CM....take a hint.

A pull from a story about FSU. Thought a big part of it was telling. Well several.

......Coburn estimated Taggart's buyout would be right around $18 million, and the university will have to pay more to some of the assistant coaches who aren't retained by the new coach.

But, he said, the cost of paying that money would be less than the loss of revenue that would continue if the football team keeps losing more than it wins. And he implied that the buyout total could be negotiated.

"When you do the numbers, it just made more sense to do this," Coburn said. "It was not an easy decision. … The questions were all asked about season-ticket sales, booster contributions. We looked at it pretty thoroughly.

"We looked at the pluses and minuses and really didn't see any upside to waiting. … Frankly, 6-6 isn't good enough."

I mean yes they are a P5 but to have an AD think that way. Wow. What a concept. Hey CM....take a hint.
Any way you look at it, it’s still a business and when one person accounts for roughly 1/3 of the headcount expense for that particular business unit he better be in the boat rowing as hard as everyone else or even more so. Customer attraction, retention, service, marketing, recruiting, hiring the right people and most importantly WINNING.

Would love to hear Massaro's reply
I had a long talk yesterday afternoon with Coach Donnelly. I have a hard earned Master’s degree on my office wall from MTSU. Not Belmont, Not Memphis. Middle....Tennessee.....State.....University. I do care. He cares. I don’t want to be negative all the time about my school so I prayed about it and will meet with CM for coffee on Thursday afternoon to share my concerns, listen to him, offer any assistance (if asked) and see what we can all do to fix this mess.

All of us.

If not then we should just shut it down but I don’t think anyone wants that. Not one of us.

Tommy West ranted about his “9 years here at Memphis, hard years” well I’ve got 18 months of grad school and 14 years, hard years, of rooting for and donating to this Athletic program.
It’s time to stop the insanity of doing the same things over and over again.

I had a long talk yesterday afternoon with Coach Donnelly. I have a hard earned Master’s degree on my office wall from MTSU. Not Belmont, Not Memphis. Middle....Tennessee.....State.....University. I do care. He cares. I don’t want to be negative all the time about my school so I prayed about it and will meet with CM for coffee on Thursday afternoon to share my concerns, listen to him, offer any assistance (if asked) and see what we can all do to fix this mess.

All of us.

If not then we should just shut it down but I don’t think anyone wants that. Not one of us.

Tommy West ranted about his “9 years here at Memphis, hard years” well I’ve got 18 months of grad school and 14 years, hard years, of rooting for and donating to this Athletic program.

clap, clap
So glad to hear you say that FR. I know that was a tough decision to make after all the water under the bridge. I too want to see this mess fixed. I have no degree from MT, never stepped in to a class room at MT, heck never even heard of MT until I moved here in 97. One Saturday wanted to see some football, drove over to JRF and never left. I feel like I have a lot invested in this program too. Can't imagine how you Alums feel that have a degree from Middle. Must be heart wrenching to see all this play out the way it has. There will be a lot of crap to go thru to get there but I made MT my 'school' years ago.
Someone said earlier You can't fix this mess with a beer garden and a Kids Zone
Let's go Blue!

All of us.

What did Coach Donnelly have to say?

All of us.

Not to be Debbie Downer here, but what are you expecting Massaro to say? That he screwed up with that absurd contract that we can't afford to get out of? At least try to get an answer about what he intends to do about openly campaigning for the FSU job by our coach(s).

Not to be Debbie Downer here, but what are you expecting Massaro to say? That he screwed up with that absurd contract that we can't afford to get out of? At least try to get an answer about what he intends to do about openly campaigning for the FSU job by our coach(s).
I’ve personally witnessed us regress from beating Maryland twice, destroy GaTech in their house, run over So.Miss and Fedora like a freight train and take 5 out of 7 from Memphis. The latter being so embarrassed that they refuse to play Middle again and completely overhauled their commitment to Tiger Football. It can be done. Stockstill has done it in 2009. But when you take away any incentive to succeed at a high level (i.e. The Contract) then you end up losing to the likes of a Charlotte and other young coaches who are hungry like Stock once was.

Yea. Ask what his thoughts are on Brent Brock openly campaigning for Stock to get the FSU job.

Also ask him what the plans are for facility improvement. We might be stuck with a bum coaching staff but we should still be improving our facilities so the next staff has better facilities

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
clap, clap
So glad to hear you say that FR. I know that was a tough decision to make after all the water under the bridge. I too want to see this mess fixed. I have no degree from MT, never stepped in to a class room at MT, heck never even heard of MT until I moved here in 97. One Saturday wanted to see some football, drove over to JRF and never left. I feel like I have a lot invested in this program too. Can't imagine how you Alums feel that have a degree from Middle. Must be heart wrenching to see all this play out the way it has. There will be a lot of crap to go thru to get there but I made MT my 'school' years ago.
Someone said earlier You can't fix this mess with a beer garden and a Kids Zone
Let's go Blue!

I feel like I’ve just seen an alien. I didn’t know we had any fans like you MarJac. You’re awesome!!

I’ve personally witnessed us regress from beating Maryland twice, destroy GaTech in their house, run over So.Miss and Fedora like a freight train and take 5 out of 7 from Memphis. The latter being so embarrassed that they refuse to play Middle again and completely overhauled their commitment to Tiger Football. It can be done. Stockstill has done it in 2009. But when you take away any incentive to succeed at a high level (i.e. The Contract) then you end up losing to the likes of a Charlotte and other young coaches who are hungry like Stock once was.

The contract isn't actually the issue. It's a talking point for disenfranchised alums/fans, but it isn't the problem. I can assure you all that the problems at MT run much deeper into the fabric and culture of the university that starts with the leadership - and complacency to break the mediocrity that permeates every facet of how the place is run. CM tried in the early years but got completely bulldozed by this culture. He won't admit to that of course, but he's infected now too as if it's a bite from a vampire. The true problem begins and ends in Cope. And of course now a board that completely rubber stamped the status quo with ridiculous McPhee 5-year extension.

With respect to the contract, the bottom line is no university outside the P5 is firing a head coach coming off a division title a year ago who hasn't had a losing season in eight years. MT is the only program in the league that can make that statement, so there is absolutely no way in hell a G5 coach would ever be fired under that scenario - regardless of the contract dynamics. So, the contract isn't itself - per se - the biggest boogeyman. Now, with that said and you want to drill down into the psychology of the fact that CRS has hit the caps and squeezed every penny out of the university he possibly could and now all of sudden that he can't get any further automatic raises/extensions that we find ourselves playing .333 percentage football - well that's an argument that certainly could be made. In other words, what little incentive CRS had to perform has now been completely used up. The only thing keeping him motivated now would have to be personal pride.

For those of you who remember about two or three years ago on the private forum of the other board before it went defunct, I laid out some very specific evidence using business cycle methodology to demonstrate and predict that 2019 would be the year where the university's athletics would completely fall off the cliff and I showed how it would happen to both major sports at nearly the same time. Well, we see what happened with 2019 basketball and now look what's happening to football. Unfortunately, (and I applaud for FR315 trying to make a difference) we're in the midst of a great depression in MT athletics. We won't see championship caliber football or basketball again until the middle of the next decade. I hope I'm wrong.

The contract isn't actually the issue. It's a talking point for disenfranchised alums/fans, but it isn't the problem. I can assure you all that the problems at MT run much deeper into the fabric and culture of the university that starts with the leadership - and complacency to break the mediocrity that permeates every facet of how the place is run. CM tried in the early years but got completely bulldozed by this culture. He won't admit to that of course, but he's infected now too as if it's a bite from a vampire. The true problem begins and ends in Cope. And of course now a board that completely rubber stamped the status quo with ridiculous McPhee 5-year extension.

With respect to the contract, the bottom line is no university outside the P5 is firing a head coach coming off a division title a year ago who hasn't had a losing season in eight years. MT is the only program in the league that can make that statement, so there is absolutely no way in hell a G5 coach would ever be fired under that scenario - regardless of the contract dynamics. So, the contract isn't itself - per se - the biggest boogeyman. Now, with that said and you want to drill down into the psychology of the fact that CRS has hit the caps and squeezed every penny out of the university he possibly could and now all of sudden that he can't get any further automatic raises/extensions that we find ourselves playing .333 percentage football - well that's an argument that certainly could be made. In other words, what little incentive CRS had to perform has now been completely used up. The only thing keeping him motivated now would have to be personal pride.

For those of you who remember about two or three years ago on the private forum of the other board before it went defunct, I laid out some very specific evidence using business cycle methodology to demonstrate and predict that 2019 would be the year where the university's athletics would completely fall off the cliff and I showed how it would happen to both major sports at nearly the same time. Well, we see what happened with 2019 basketball and now look what's happening to football. Unfortunately, (and I applaud for FR315 trying to make a difference) we're in the midst of a great depression in MT athletics. We won't see championship caliber football or basketball again until the middle of the next decade. I hope I'm wrong.

I don't think it fair to lump mens basketball in there...I see them as hungry and building with what they have. But what you said about the FB team is spot on.

Reactions: subkyle
I don't think it fair to lump mens basketball in there...I see them as hungry and building with what they have. But what you said about the FB team is spot on.

Well, I'm not sure I agree. They may be hungry but that doesn't equate to wins nor does it equate to a championship caliber team. It doesn't equate to what we've seen in 7 out of the past 8 years of the program. We won't be there this year and won't be there next year. So, at the earliest you are looking at 2022, which makes what I've predicted pretty accurate. The attributes that deliver that type of results are good recruiting and good coaching. I just don't buy CNM yet in either of those phases. The point to my thesis going back to 2016/2017 time frame (so keep in mind I did this right about three years ago well before knowing coaching status) is what does the future hold for MT athletics particularly football and basketball. Based on a model I created, both MT basketball and football would experience severe downtrend in performance beginning in 2019 that would last five or six years. Basketball had a .344 winning pct last year. Football currently has a .333 winning percentage and even with two games remaining against teams with a combined 1-17 record it's difficult to see this team salvaging a non-losing season with a good defense at WKU awaiting at the end. The cycle likely took into consideration coaching change in basketball. I bet if I went back and did it again focused on just that issue it might have been able to predict Kermit's departure within a year or two whereas my internal bias told me Kermit would retire here. My personal persuasion was wrong about that, but the model very clearly indicated basketball would plunge in 2019. Not sure if any of that info is still available since the website is gone, but I would post it here if I still had it. The hard drive on my MAC went out not long after I did it before I could back it up and it took a lot of work to create so I doubt I will do it again.

We'll just have to see what happens next. Like I said, I hope the modeling is wrong.

Last edited:
Need to stay on this Brent Brock thing. He obviously needs to be fired. One of our coaches more worried about FSU when we are busy getting bulldozed by Charlotte.

Reactions: Hop45
I'm not down on men's BkB just yet. McDevitt clearly gets a mulligan for last year. The team did improve and don't think many of us during the 13 (?) game losing streak thought we would end up winning as many as we did. I know I will be disappointed as to how we start out this year but most, if not all, of that could be laid at Scurry sitting out and Dishman's injury. Gotta admit the team this year more closely passes the "eye test". Closing the deal next Wed. with Fussell along with getting another quality recruit in the early period will give me hope that the return to championship level play will be sooner than expected.

Now along with the FB cluster___ we have the rails coming off of what was supposedly a very promising LR squad, and now that we are talking about problems: How long has baseball been down; have we even been in the conference tournament in the C-USA era?

Agree with Wiley. Let's not lose sight of the issue right in front of us. A staff member publicly campaigned for the starting, veteran head coach to get the job at another university. How is this even remotely acceptable? What about the impact on recruiting when your own staff says your coach should go elsewhere?

No way around it - this guy should be fired or at least suspended with an apology issued. He's basically belittling the program that is paying him. Unacceptable.

Again - I would like to see someone put this on twitter so we can retweet to the media to see if anyone picks it up. Not too mention retweet it right back to Brock and ask WTF? Get it on Twitter!

Reactions: MT Glenn and Hop45
Well, I'm not sure I agree. They may be hungry but that doesn't equate to wins nor does it equate to a championship caliber team. It doesn't equate to what we've seen in 7 out of the past 8 years of the program. We won't be there this year and won't be there next year. So, at the earliest you are looking at 2022, which makes what I've predicted pretty accurate. The attributes that deliver that type of results are good recruiting and good coaching. I just don't buy CNM yet in either of those phases. The point to my thesis going back to 2016/2017 time frame (so keep in mind I did this right about three years ago well before knowing coaching status) is what does the future hold for MT athletics particularly football and basketball. Based on a model I created, both MT basketball and football would experience severe downtrend in performance beginning in 2019 that would last five or six years. Basketball had a .344 winning pct last year. Football currently has a .333 winning percentage and even with two games remaining against teams with a combined 1-17 record it's difficult to see this team salvaging a non-losing season with a good defense at WKU awaiting at the end. The cycle likely took into consideration coaching change in basketball. I bet if I went back and did it again focused on just that issue it might have been able to predict Kermit's departure within a year or two whereas my internal bias told me Kermit would retire here. My personal persuasion was wrong about that, but the model very clearly indicated basketball would plunge in 2019. Not sure if any of that info is still available since the website is gone, but I would post it here if I still had it. The hard drive on my MAC went out not long after I did it before I could back it up and it took a lot of work to create so I doubt I will do it again.

We'll just have to see what happens next. Like I said, I hope the modeling is wrong.

Alright Nostradamus. Anybody could predict we would suck in football and have bad attendance, because we all knew Stockstill would still be here, but your wrong about basketball. McDevitt has unusual circumstances to deal with last year. He seems to be heading in the right direction so far and I don't see how you can say we will not compete for a championship next year.

Alright Nostradamus. Anybody could predict we would suck in football and have bad attendance, because we all knew Stockstill would still be here, but your wrong about basketball. McDevitt has unusual circumstances to deal with last year. He seems to be heading in the right direction so far and I don't see how you can say we will not compete for a championship next year.

Anyone could have but I didn’t see anyone saying it three years ago.

As for hoops thought he was supposed to be a great recruiter. Haven’t seen that yet. I don’t see us landing the recruits that will bring us back to the top of the league. But that’s just my opinion. Model was right so far.

But back to above comments. Staying on focus. Bigger problems and the Brock situation warrants action. Agree there.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
Agree with Wiley. Let's not lose sight of the issue right in front of us. A staff member publicly campaigned for the starting, veteran head coach to get the job at another university. How is this even remotely acceptable? What about the impact on recruiting when your own staff says your coach should go elsewhere?

No way around it - this guy should be fired or at least suspended with an apology issued. He's basically belittling the program that is paying him. Unacceptable.

Again - I would like to see someone put this on twitter so we can retweet to the media to see if anyone picks it up. Not too mention retweet it right back to Brock and ask WTF? Get it on Twitter!
its on Twitter, John Turner posted it.

We can't blow up anything using social media. There aren't enough people who care that are left. Literally, there are only a few hundred folks that will show up every week.
This. No one will be fired because there is zero accountability.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT