ADVERTISEMENT

Somebody help me out with an answer

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Has there ever been a higher rated MT team in any sport fail so spectacularly on the national post season stage???

resolution: I will try not to complain about seeding or perceptions of any MT team until our programs show they can win on the national stage.

I agree with you. It seems like our women save their worst game of the year for the NCAA tourney. It's sad that with the talent we've had since Insell has been here we have only won one game in the tournament.

It's not much of a stretch to say that Chattanooga, UT-M, The team on West End, of course UT-K, and even Belmont in the NIT all represented better than MT all things considered (seeding, ranking, RPI, who they played, where they played).

Could it be that this year that once it really mattered the LRs were the 6th best team in the state?

I think the loss was a combination of things...we layed an egg, we just didn't match up well and then shot poorly. Give OSU credit, they may be the most underrated team in the country.

We didn't "look" like a top 20 team from an eye test perspective....all the girls at OSU had length, looked fit. Several of our girls were shorter (can't fix that) but also carried a too much weight. We just couldn't keep up with them athletically.

Yep, when a much taller player makes a move and gets around a shorter player on the perimeter the shorter player either lacks quickness, defensive fundamentals or both. Few, it any of our young ladies look like gazelles when running down the floor at full speed. I noticed last night just how labored Ebony looked when running at down the floor with the OSU players. A couple of our young ladies are athletic considering their width but not when going against players with more athletic bodies.

When we lost Elie and Jones last year we lost a huge amount of athleticism. OSU's players, to a girl, looked and moved like athletes. We hear all the time about athletes really changing their bodies through conditioning and weight training. Is that harder for females or do we possibly need a different direction in the W&C program in women's BkB?

My God this was ugly. I assumed it was a bad match-up due to the size of OSU, but it seemed our girls came out and mailed in an effort. CRI said they really played hard but it didn't look that way. This is really disturbing as our NCAA performance has worsened each year.

Originally posted by blueboro007:
My God this was ugly. I assumed it was a bad match-up due to the size of OSU, but it seemed our girls came out and mailed in an effort. CRI said they really played hard but it didn't look that way. This is really disturbing as our NCAA performance has worsened each year.
I think we played very hard...but you know, its tough for Ebony to score when bigger athletes are guarding her well. Its tough for Cason to drive in for a layup when a more athletic girls can cover her...we just rarely had an open shot in the flow of our offense.

We were over matched

Originally posted by Blueraider_Mike:

Originally posted by blueboro007:
I think we played very hard...but you know, its tough for Ebony to score when bigger athletes are guarding her well. Its tough for Cason to drive in for a layup when a more athletic girls can cover her...we just rarely had an open shot in the flow of our offense.

We were over matched
This has been an ongoing problem. Insell can recruit good players; however, they're just not tall enough and athletic enough to match-up with some of the bigger "name" schools. I remember Vandy's women doing the same thing to us in the NCAA's. Too much of a height disadvantage for us to overcome.

Can Insell recruit players that are both good AND taller/more athletic? Time will tell....

The Lady Raiders over achieved all season. Amazing they won 29 games with one consistent scorer and no dependable perimeter shooters. Keke's 3 point shooting was considerably skewed in a positive way from one monster game in which I believe she hit 12 3's. Three point shooting was an adventure-several players shot in the neighborhood of 20%-and the 6 players behind Ebony who average from 2 to 9 points a game all shot 37% or less from the field! The question is not what happened in the NCAA game but how this team managed to win 29 games and dominate their league. Probably just a lot of hard work and hustle which can carry you only so far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT