ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL If you were buying/selling stock for Conference USA teams the next five seasons?

I like where we are positioned. I always have.

I don't know if I could go with New Mexico State. IMHO, recruiting is the lifeblood of a program, and when you are in New Mexico, it's always going to be hard to bring in talent.

That's why I'd also buy FIU - if a team can get its feet under it, then there's enough talent in Florida to sustain a competitive team.

I don't know if I could go with New Mexico State. IMHO, recruiting is the lifeblood of a program, and when you are in New Mexico, it's always going to be hard to bring in talent.

That's why I'd also buy FIU - if a team can get its feet under it, then there's enough talent in Florida to sustain a competitive team.
Good point on FIU. They can get the scraps from Miami, UF, FSU and still be solid

On NMSU.. If Boise State could do it, why not them

On NMSU.. If Boise State could do it, why not them
Lots of reasons. History, tradition, leadership, location. Las Cruces is hardly comparable to Boise. Unless you’ve been to both that won’t make sense.

Difficult to participate in this buy/sell thing unless there was some sort of value currently assigned.

Lots of reasons. History, tradition, leadership, location. Las Cruces is hardly comparable to Boise. Unless you’ve been to both that won’t make sense.

Difficult to participate in this buy/sell thing unless there was some sort of value currently assigned.
Should’ve reworded it… Who will trend up and who will trend down next 5 seasons

Buy
Liberty
MT
FIU

UTEP
NMSU
SHSU

FIU has the highest budget in the conference (minus LU). With a young high energy coach they could absolutely do well in fertile FL.
I'd put a watch on Delaware as well and I wouldn't be afraid to invest in Jax either.

MT due to blue goggles but also how CDM has handled things thus far, along with the facility improvements.

Sell UTEP due to Walden. I just think he is in for a rude awakening. I hope I'm wrong and they are successful as I want all CUSA teams to be.
Kill was just a hell of a coach and I think losing him will hurt them big time.
I think both would do better in the MWC. Travel is just huge for them right now.
As for SHSU, they are just in trouble with only a $23m budget.

Reactions: ewglenn
I really don't see anyone in this conference trending up. If you held a gun to my head I would have to say Liberty simply because of their bank roll and access to a ton of money.

They could.

Teams can thrive in areas where there's not a lot of recruits. It's just really really hard.
Mountain West is also the only west coast based FBS conference now so they have a bigger recruiting “area” than most G5s

While I think this is true, we've been hearing the same thing about FIU since they moved up to the FBS in the Sun Belt and they've yet to capitalize on any of their potential.

I think Jax St could be one of those teams regularly in the hunt for FB; they had a pretty good season in year 1.

Reactions: ewglenn

NMSU was moving in that direction and their leadership ran Kill off and they are once again in rebuild mode.

Once we get that SAPC built and running, our stock will jump us to no.2 in the conference behind Liberty as far as facilities go.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT