ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL SIAP: Attendance Prediction for Vanderbilt game..

Feeling optimistic...its the first game, the students will be around because is early in the school year. I think Vandy brings more than in the past...

I'm typically a little more bearish on MT attendance with recent years lack of buzz based on fairly average performance on the field.

Even so, the first game of the season with two local rivals will produce some pretty good attendance. It seems Vandy might be building a little momentum that just might get a few more of their fans interested to come out.

Maybe most importantly, the first game of the season with football fans chomping at the bit for the season to start will really help with attendance. Throw in local sports media will likely be focusing, talking, and hyping this game for a few weeks leading up to the game, and there is a good chance all of that could equal a good turnout.

I'm not going to predict a sellout due to MT just not producing the buzz the last few seasons. Still, the ingredients are in place for it to possibly approach 30,000. If I have to at least narrow it down to a predicted range, I'd say 25,000 - 27,500.

The fact that it's not one of the worst teams in FCS will likely count for a good 5,000 boost in attendance over the last few home season openers.

There is a lot of positives about the scheduling of this game.

1. It's on a Saturday and at night.
2. First game hype.
3. Inter city FBS battle.
4. UT isn't playing.
5. Titans aren't playing a home game.

The cards are lined up right for the first time in forever. If it's not raining, we will get good numbers.

Reactions: MTTim
I just think that the times are changing. Gone are the days of big venues or big crowds. Maybe I'm off but we ALL know the last 2-3 games reported last year were NOT fannies in seats.

Reactions: Predarat
Ok just for fun, I thought I'd drag up this little thread from back in the summer doldrums when sports were sparse.

While there wasn't a ton of predictions, most seemed to hit pretty close in the 'ole ball park to the announced 26,717

Prederat 18,500 and JohnDavidBlue 21,000 were the most pessimistic and farthest off. Perhaps their pessimism was misplaced and should have been applied to final score predictions where they would have likely taken home the gold and silver. They won't receive any Bottom 10 awards though as at least they had the bravery to call some numbers unlike a lot of the others who I won't name....cough, FranklinRaider315..cough...blueraiderJT.

In the 'ole "just a bit outside" camp were MTTim 23,500 and MLD45 24,000. A couple/few thousand off wasn't that bad.

MTFNBY5 25,000+ gets the close but no cigar call. What is not clear is if this was statement of threshold for patheticness or a prediction. Regardless, a number was posted that was getting fairly close in the 'ole ball park.

Getting real close were Blueraider_Mike 25,888 and MTLynn 25,889 with the classic The Price is Right blocking move that burned his opponent to get the closer call by 1.

Lastly and shamefully boastful was me Duke "I don't know if you're aware of it, but I'm a pretty big deal" Wayne who was pretty darn close with an optimistic outlook. While I thought upwards of 30,000 was possible for the game, I went on to clarify and narrow my prediction to a range of 25,000 - 27,500. Not to brag or anything, but my call nailed down the final attendance in the good meaty part of my range. In all fairness though and to avoid huge message board controversy, I make no claim to the first place call since my prediction was a range and not a one specific number prediction like the rest of you.

In closing for the rest of you, remember, "if you ain't first, you're last"

Ok just for fun, I thought I'd drag up this little thread from back in the summer doldrums when sports were sparse.

While there wasn't a ton of predictions, most seemed to hit pretty close in the 'ole ball park to the announced 26,717

Prederat 18,500 and JohnDavidBlue 21,000 were the most pessimistic and farthest off. Perhaps their pessimism was misplaced and should have been applied to final score predictions where they would have likely taken home the gold and silver. They won't receive any Bottom 10 awards though as at least they had the bravery to call some numbers unlike a lot of the others who I won't name....cough, FranklinRaider315..cough...blueraiderJT.

In the 'ole "just a bit outside" camp were MTTim 23,500 and MLD45 24,000. A couple/few thousand off wasn't that bad.

MTFNBY5 25,000+ gets the close but no cigar call. What is not clear is if this was statement of threshold for patheticness or a prediction. Regardless, a number was posted that was getting fairly close in the 'ole ball park.

Getting real close were Blueraider_Mike 25,888 and MTLynn 25,889 with the classic The Price is Right blocking move that burned his opponent to get the closer call by 1.

Lastly and shamefully boastful was me Duke "I don't know if you're aware of it, but I'm a pretty big deal" Wayne who was pretty darn close with an optimistic outlook. While I thought upwards of 30,000 was possible for the game, I went on to clarify and narrow my prediction to a range of 25,000 - 27,500. Not to brag or anything, but my call nailed down the final attendance in the good meaty part of my range. In all fairness though and to avoid huge message board controversy, I make no claim to the first place call since my prediction was a range and not a one specific number prediction like the rest of you.

In closing for the rest of you, remember, "if you ain't first, you're last"

I stand by my 18.5. Hell, that would have saved 8k folks from suffering through that take a knee shit show.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
haha. Nice write up "Pretty big deal Duke". I did predict a 3 touchdown loss in the armchair thread but I didn't give a score. The taking a knee at halftime killed me. Facepalm moment.

I did see several old friends and people that I haven't seen in years so that was great.

haha. Nice write up "Pretty big deal Duke". I did predict a 3 touchdown loss in the armchair thread but I didn't give a score. The taking a knee at halftime killed me. Facepalm moment.

I did see several old friends and people that I haven't seen in years so that was great.

Sadly, will probably be the last time you see those old friends for a few years judging by the outcome of that game.

I was hoping the time and effort at an attempt of a little humor and levity wouldn't be a waste of time. As I can see by the responses, you all did not disappoint. A bunch of you had comments that cracked me up. Totally worth it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT