ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Men's Conference Schedule Released

I think the success of this year's team will be dependent on the same factor that played a major role on the fate of last year's team. Can Jalen Jordan's knee hold up through the year? No telling how much better last year's team could have been with a healthy Jordan in its lineup. Guarantee you he would have helped out against all those road losses. Not only is he an excellent shooter, but he should represent a stabilizing maturity to this year's squad on the road. He's shown strong dedication to the program despite the frustration of injuries over the last 2 years. If he can stay healthy I think he will play a major part in helping to mold the team into a successful unit this fall & winter.

CUSA was clearly strong last year. I think the additions only make it stronger. Pumped for Bball

I think the success of this year's team will be dependent on the same factor that played a major role on the fate of last year's team. Can Jalen Jordan's knee hold up through the year? No telling how much better last year's team could have been with a healthy Jordan in its lineup. Guarantee you he would have helped out against all those road losses. Not only is he an excellent shooter, but he should represent a stabilizing maturity to this year's squad on the road. He's shown strong dedication to the program despite the frustration of injuries over the last 2 years. If he can stay healthy I think he will play a major part in helping to mold the team into a successful unit this fall & winter.
His technical from the bench likely cost us the FAU game in the conference tournament. So, hopefully he finally can contribute something to the team.

CUSA/WAC is kind of an even thing in my book. We were the 10th ranked conference in NET last year. The 6 teams we lost had an avg of 119. The 4 coming in had an avg of 135.

The WAC was 11th ranked. We are gaining their top team in SHSU but also their last in NMSU (which shouldn't be near as bad this year). We also lost our worst in UTSA.

So it essentially gives us more of the same teams. Using last year's rankings the new CUSA NET is 157. New WAC is 161.

Doesn't gain, doesn't really hurt. An alliance against a better conference is preferable of course, but we could do worse. There are 32 conferences so plenty of worse ones.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
CUSA/WAC is kind of an even thing in my book. We were the 10th ranked conference in NET last year. The 6 teams we lost had an avg of 119. The 4 coming in had an avg of 135.

The WAC was 11th ranked. We are gaining their top team in SHSU but also their last in NMSU (which shouldn't be near as bad this year). We also lost our worst in UTSA.

So it essentially gives us more of the same teams. Using last year's rankings the new CUSA NET is 157. New WAC is 161.

Doesn't gain, doesn't really hurt. An alliance against a better conference is preferable of course, but we could do worse. There are 32 conferences so plenty of worse ones.
Guess I just figured there would be options closer to help cut down on travel costs for the east schools.

In all honesty, I do not keep up with or know very much about the sport.

Last edited:
Guess I just figured there would be options closer to help cut down on travel costs for the east schools.

In all honestly, I do not keep up with or know very much about the sport.
Totally agree with the travel aspect. If we could not do the same concept with the MVC, Sunbelt or A-10 for example I would have been for leaving well enough alone.

Part of me wonders if this is a precursor to absorbing the whole UAC thing. Testing the waters so to speak.

EDIT...
On a side note, we will be in CA at St Mary's on December 19, then that lists us at S Utah December 22.

Last edited:
This had everything to do with increasing the NET while adding quality games. It’s hard for our conferences to get enough OOC games so they did this. Nothing more nothing less. The SBC and MAC doesn’t help much for NET. The A10 would have been better so I would hope they looked there first.

Do we anticipate a 30 game regular season this year? For some reason I thought it was going to be an 18 game conference season. Obviously I was wrong, going to be a 16 game round robin instead. That could make for possibly a really large non conference season to make up for a shorter conference schedule.
Personally I think I would be ok with a 27 or 28 game season. By end of season our team was really beat up last year. Couple less games may help with fatigue & injuries come tournament time. Thoughts?

Do we anticipate a 30 game regular season this year? For some reason I thought it was going to be an 18 game conference season. Obviously I was wrong, going to be a 16 game round robin instead. That could make for possibly a really large non conference season to make up for a shorter conference schedule.
Personally I think I would be ok with a 27 or 28 game season. By end of season our team was really beat up last year. Couple less games may help with fatigue & injuries come tournament time. Thoughts?
18 is what we will be when Kennesaw joins. I think it depends on who we schedule. I don’t mind a few MEAC and SWAC teams to give our depth guys some playing time. Get SCST and MS Valley on the schedule at home instead of D2 teams. If we’re adding road games at P5 teams I’m okay with a few less games overall. We need to be ready for the conference tournament because that’s the best shot at a NCAAT appearance we have.

Wasn't sure of the interest so didn't create a new post, but Mid-Major Madness is hosting a 90 min CUSA Men's Basketball Preview tomorrow Tues Aug 15 from 11:00 am - 12:30 pm central.
Seems a little early, but will be interesting to see where MMM seeds everyone including the Blue Raiders for the new conference alignment.

Listened to parts of MMM CUSA preview. Large % of this was in interview with NMSU coach & talking about Liberty arriving. After that quick 2-3 minute synopsis of what was anticipated about other teams. Positive note concerning MT's upcoming season is that MMM for the most part seemed to be picking the Blue Raiders as their selection to win the regular season in a closely decided contest between 7-8 schools. Side note, they really liked the capability of our guards as a whole unit.
We'll have to wait & see how team cohesion & the always distinct possibility of injuries pan out.

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
For me it's pretty simple. We clearly missed the presence of Sims and Jefferson's 3 point shooting and clutch basket making last year. We rarely saw our guys shoot the lights out last year. It always seemed to be ugly contests centered around rebounding and defense. Especially on the road.

If this season is going to be any different, these kids are gonna have to do the most fundamental thing in basketball. Put the ball in the hoop. We just had way too many bad shooting nights last season. I'd be very curious where we ranked in 3pt % and non-paint FG's last season. Easily bottom 1/3rd I would suspect for 3's, again especially on the road.

The defense and rebounding is likely to always be pretty good simply because of the size and athleticism Nick is intent on recruiting. But I have always been suspect of their ability to score and will remain suspect until proven otherwise. Outside of Sims/Jefferson's senior seasons we've never been good offensively. And we won't be winning any championships until that changes.

Reactions: MTFAN61 and ewglenn
I really feel we should just go for a guard on the court that can shoot well with all of our size everywhere else. If they have to respect the 3 from anyone then it stretches the floor. We haven’t been able to do that so the defense just collapsed on the paint.

Reactions: MTFAN61
I really feel we should just go for a guard on the court that can shoot well with all of our size everywhere else. If they have to respect the 3 from anyone then it stretches the floor. We haven’t been able to do that so the defense just collapsed on the paint.
this is what i have said for years

My concern is we had 6 scholarships to give, & we never got that "ace" shooting guard. Jordan was considered our best shooter for that 26 win team 2 years ago when his first acl happened. And according to coach was playing great in practice last year when acl #2 occurred. Unfortunately last year's team never recovered from his absence.
Now Jordan is back practicing again which is great, but the season is close by & the coaches are concerned to let him practice against other players or he might blow his knee out again. I suppose they're understandably worried he could have 3 acl's in 3 straight years without getting a chance to play one single game.
Once again it feels our best shooting guard is somewhat suspect for the upcoming season, & without a healthy "ace" guard I'm afraid it makes our chances at a championship season pretty suspect as well.

Just adding it here because I haven’t seen it elsewhere, but we are hosting Western Carolina on Monday Nov 13.

Men's non-conference schedule just came out. Not a bad schedule, but where's St. Bonaventure? Wasn't that a home & home? We played them at their place last year losing 71-64, but looks like they're no where to be seen on the home schedule in the 'Boro. Was this the old bait & switch, or are they maybe coming here next year.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT