ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL JMU lawsuit...Jax too?

MidTennMtneer

All American
Nov 13, 2013
So it appears a restraining order against the NCAA will be sought. If that happens, it opens immediate access for JMU of not only a bowl, but the SBC champ too.

That opens a can of worms for CUSA possibly too. If Jax beats LaT this weekend, they will be 6-1 in conf just like NMSU. And well, Jax and NMSU play each other last game of year. But yet NMSU has already been given the game spot.

I said on X...the rule is stupid. But you can't change it this late in the season.

I also think it's a stupid rule, but did not JMU & JAX St know the rules as they are when jumping from fcs to fbs in the 1st place?
I wouldn’t mind seeing 2 things come out of this.
1) NCAA change the rule for things going forward concerning the next wave of schools wanting to make the jump.
2) Liberty U it's a tough situation for your school, but you knew the rule when jumping to fbs status. It's time to shut up & take your lumps. You're eligible in 2024, just accept it & go on with life. It's time to move on.

Reactions: arg3b and mtfblue
I also think it's a stupid rule, but did not JMU & JAX St know the rules as they are when jumping from fcs to fbs in the 1st place?
I wouldn’t mind seeing 2 things come out of this.
1) NCAA change the rule for things going forward concerning the next wave of schools wanting to make the jump.
2) Liberty U it's a tough situation for your school, but you knew the rule when jumping to fbs status. It's time to shut up & take your lumps. You're eligible in 2024, just accept it & go on with life. It's time to move on.
Apparently the key is the anti-trust. If the Virginia AG can show it as a violation, it essentially makes the rule illegal. And then it doesn't matter if JMU knew about it or not.

Apparently the key is the anti-trust. If the Virginia AG can show it as a violation, it essentially makes the rule illegal. And then it doesn't matter if JMU knew about it or not.
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

How is it anti trust when everyone agreed to it? Here is the problem, App, GSU, coastal all set out the 1st 2 years and all were bowl eligible. JMU might not have any friends on this one.

How is it anti trust when everyone agreed to it? Here is the problem, App, GSU, coastal all set out the 1st 2 years and all were bowl eligible. JMU might not have any friends on this one.
Agree or not doesn't matter. If what was agreed to is deemed illegal by the courts, then that agreement doesn't stand.
JMU technically isn't the one fighting. The VA AG has hired an outside firm to represent JMU. Of course the school isn't going to say no.

I personally think it should wait and remove the law next year. They are gonna go bowling anyway since there won't be enough teams. And if the AAC gets the NY6 spot, if I were CUSA and the SBC, I'd fight for LU and JMU in a bowl together.

At the same time I love chaos....so let's go Jax! Beat LaT and NMSU!

Not only did they sit out but GA Southern would have won the conference their first year.

Reactions: mtfblue
That was a great game. Better cameras and it "might" have changed that final catch. I turned ours off at start of 4th. Sad I enjoy watching another game over us.
That’s saying a lot because our game actually was pretty entertaining

He's not wrong. I give the NCAA 10 more years, tops. The anti-trust suits making their way through will eventually lead to athletes getting paid, and when that happens there will be a major split off for football and basketball. Using my magic 8 ball as you can see. Lol.

But seriously, the rule is ridiculous. Shouldn't be changed now, too late this year. But has to be revisited. Granted the fee has gone up astronomically to join FBS now, but still.

And for the record, his personality is not a good fit for Gameday at all. Not at all.

just came across this story. Too many bowls. So many that the NCAA had to approve their own waiver request. (looks like even Minnesota, 5 - 7, is going bowling. Everyone gets a trophy I guess)

The NCAA did the right thing by inviting James Madison University and Jacksonville State University, two successful teams that had moved up from the Football Championship Series (FCS, formerly Division I-AA) to the Football Bowl Series (FBS, formerly Division I-A). The NCAA had previously denied postseason waivers to those teams because they were in the second year of the two-year trial period for moving up to FBS.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Oh there are wayyyyy too many bowls. 100%. If I was in charge I wouldn't even let 6-6 teams go.

It's why bowls mean little now. Sure extra practice and I'm happy for the players to have the experience. But as a program, especially with the new playoff format, conference championships matter more than anything.

I mean out of the 41 bowls, ESPN owns all but like 3. It all is just inventory to keep the college football TV cash cow going a bit longer.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Well well.

LU will have to wait till after tonight and maybe AAC game.
NMSU will have to wait till after tonight.
WKU?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT