ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee vs Northern Kentucky, 7:30PM, Monday, November 6, 2023

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
NORTHERN KENTUCKY
Enrollment: 15,827
Arena: Truist Arena (9,400)
Colors: Black & Gold Nickname: Norse
Conference: Horizon League
Head Coach: Darrin Horn
Record at School: 79-45 (5th Season) Career Record: 250-156 (14th Season)
2022-23 Record: 22-13, 14-6 2022-23 Finish: 4th Horizon
2022-23 Postseason: NCAA First Round
Starters R/L: 3/2 Letterwinners R/L: 8/8
2023-24 Men's Basketball Roster

Well, we will know what we have right away. Better win or it's gonna look like another long, disappointing mediocre year.

These are the types of games McDevitt has traditionally lost. Early season, non-conference G5 opponent on the road with a short line that we should beat, but team comes out with no poise and can't make any baskets.

Hope it's different this time.

Well, we will know what we have right away. Better win or it's gonna look like another long, disappointing mediocre year.

These are the types of games McDevitt has traditionally lost. Early season, non-conference G5 opponent on the road with a short line that we should beat, but team comes out with no poise and can't make any baskets.

Hope it's different this time.
Actually, the first 5 games are at home. Before playing 3 neutral site games. The first road game is not until December 19. Trying to think in which sport if you lose your opener, it defines the rest of your season? Might just depend upon what narrative one is trying to push.

Hope to see the Blue Zoo from the students return in force. Guesstimate about 4,000 in attendance being a school night with nice weather anticipated.
The poor shooting against UT-Martin is a concern. No disrespect to Martin, but UNK should be a considerably better team. Glad to open at home.
If we shoot decently & get our confidence going can see us winning by 10, but If we shoot 45% or under probably favor the Norse slightly. They're a well coached team.

an excerpt from a preview:

...A proven set of veterans are back and thirsty for more in 2024. On paper, the Norse look like the best the Horizon has to offer. And even though last season was a major milestone, this program is not one to shirk at lofty preseason expectations.

The Norse go as Marques Warrick and Sam Vinson go. Warrick has multiple all-conference plaques in his trophy case, having made both second and third team All-Horizon. Vinson took home the league’s Freshman of the Year trophy in 2022 before bouncing into his own all-league selection last year.....

Trying to think in which sport if you lose your opener, it defines the rest of your season? Might just depend upon what narrative one is trying to push.

1 game is 1 game....

but if this team is ready to challenge for a CUSA crown and push for a NCAA tournament appearance and be taken seriously as a good team....shouldn't they be beating inferior teams at home to start the season ?

If they can't get it done at home with a horizon opponent...I'm not sure I'll need (or want) to see much else.

The line of -5 is pretty telling to me. We should be favored by much more IMO since we are traditionally very strong at home.

The line being only -5 tells me NKU wins this one.

Reactions: subkyle
I figure the BRAA guys have already shifted into Basketball positivity mode and let Blue Raider Football fizzle away without much fanfare. Senior Day will be ugly.

Maybe we can start marketing ourselves as Punter U

**Edit....wrong post. Meant for football

Last edited:
Think the Martin game was a good thing for this team. We had such comfortable wins on our Italy trip & venture to Johnson City I could see a team with a lot of new faces taking someone like Martin for granted. We may have needed that to get back on track. I believe the men will come out with a strong effort Monday.

Darrin Horn is northern’s coach. Man. I remember making trips to western and he just had Kermit’s number.

This is a massive game to start the year. NKU is a very good team that returns nearly all of their best players. Their starting 5 go like this.....Graduate Senior, Senior, Junior, Senior, Junior. This team had Houston on the ropes in Round 1 of the tournament last year.

I purchased the 2023-2024 College Almanac that previews all 300+ D1 teams in depth. I will copy and paste some of the notable comments regarding NKU. In summary, we need to win this game. This could be the difference in an at-large bid if we can't win CUSA tournament. They will definitely be a Top 100 team, maybe Top 50, by years end. Can't afford to give this one up @ home.

---The Norse go as Marques Warrick and Sam Vinson go. Warrick has multiple all-conference plaques in his trophy case, having made both second and third team All-Horizon. Vinson took home the league’s Freshman of the Year trophy in 2022 before bouncing into his own all-league selection last year.

---The Horizon’s top-rated defensive unit a year ago was equally as strong on the perimeter. Xavier Rhodes turned out to be a master thief in the steals department, and Faulkner was a plus on that end as well.

This year, there shouldn’t be any serious regression with Warrick, Vinson and Robinson — three multi-year program pillars with an ingrained understanding of Horn’s defensive principles — holding down the fort. Experience playing in zone constructs is pivotal, as repetition enables faster and sharper rotational instincts. This mental makeup helped NKU turn Horizon opponents over at a bonkers rate last season.

---The Norse had no time to ease into the season last year. Head coach Darrin Horn put together a daunting nonconference slate, which pinned NKU against the likes of Kent State, Cincinnati, Toledo, Washington State and Florida Atlantic. Of those tests, the Norse certainly got the one they wanted most — a marquee 64-51 win over local rival Cincinnati. In the others, they battled valiantly, yet inconsistently, giving the team reasons to be optimistic but not arrogant.

NKU quietly improved as the year grew old, and then went full turbo in the month of March. The Norse rode their March mojo to a three-game sweep at the Horizon Tournament, claiming the league’s coveted automatic NCAA Tournament bid. Most prognosticators didn’t give the Norse a prayer against Houston in the opening round, but again, Horn & Co. competed admirably.

A proven set of veterans are back and thirsty for more in 2024. On paper, the Norse look like the best the Horizon has to offer. And even though last season was a major milestone, this program is not one to shirk at lofty preseason expectations.

---Projected starting 5

#PlayerPos.ListedYearMPGPPGRPGAPGSPGBPGFG%3PT%
22Michael Bradley*G6-0Gr.31.314.93.84.31.20.046.537.3
3Marques WarrickG6-2Sr.34.618.82.32.61.30.343.138.2
2Sam VinsonG6-5Jr.32.811.84.32.82.40.339.932.2
1Trey RobinsonG6-6Sr.22.27.03.71.61.00.437.934.0
10Cade Meyer*F6-8Jr.27.410.55.00.70.40.656.823.1

NKU is going to be tough. Looking forward to seeing our top 6-8 guys. 4 seasoned vets with that group. Hopefully we can lean heavily on them early.

I left at halftime, but we are deep. Good to see all 3 bigs get quality time. Buford and King shooters. Weston is still Weston.

This is a great win and great omen going forward. We have an insanely good schedule this year with a huge run of early home games. We need to win every one of them before heading on the road to St. Mary's.

1st 20 was one of the best halves I've seen in Murphy Center in a while. Love the depth, & center rotation. CNM said post game when we ask our players to play as hard as they do we need more than a 6 player rotation. In fact he played 11 tonight. Any other coaches listening?
not likely

Reactions: MTFAN61
That first 20 minutes had me excited. Never liked Darrin Horn and glad him and his team got spanked. Second half was tough to watch. The Raiders seemed to lose focus a little and NKU played like they had to to try to get back in the game. Glad the Raiders had a big cushion of points.

The defense has really improved. That alone will make us better than last year. If I had to be picky, I would say that they coasted a little too much in the last 4 minutes. They need to finish a bit stronger. I feel like MT could have won by 20+ easily. But that is really being picky. I'm way happy with this win. NKU is better than most of our conference if not all now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT