ADVERTISEMENT

Should we start scheduling Sun Belt teams again?

TrueBlue147

All Conference
Mar 19, 2008
Is it too early to put Troy, Arkansas State, or Louisiana Lafayette on the football schedule? Do we still want to keep separating ourselves from them? I think a game against Troy and to a lesser extent the others would draw a good amount of interest from both sides at this point.

Have no desire to play them. I do not think there is any demand, at all, by our fans to see arky state, troy, or any of the rest of them. Just like when we were out of the ovc and began later to play some ovc teams that did not create much interest and did not boost attendance.

Reactions: dukewayne
Back when MT left the OVC, I thought that playing some of the closer OVC teams for OOC games would be a good idea. In addition to thinking that those games might generate local interest and attendance, some thought it would still be good for some local ooc rivalries. It became clear rather rapidly that fans in general just were not that interested in those former conf games. In bball, MT games vs TSU typically has low attendance numbers. MT at TSU attendance is pitiful. TSU at MT for ooc does not seem to boost the typical ooc home attendance.

With that sort of history, there seems to be very little gained for MT to try to schedule some of the old SBC matchups.

I do think we should schedule TSU for a FB game...We play one FCS school a year, I think this one would be well attended as it was in the past.

I agree with Mike. Since we are going to schedule 1 FCS each year, I would prefer it was an instate FCS school.

To me our 4 OOC games should be (if possible), 1 - Top 25 P5 school, 1 lower tier P5 school, 1 FBS non-P5 team, & an instate FCS school. Personally, I would like to see the 1 FBS non-P5 team be an AAC school, but I wouldn't mind us playing SB/MAC schools within a 5 hour drive from M'boro.

tumblr_lsrwvcI0lO1qfsr58o1_500.png

Reactions: Blueraider_Mike
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT