ADVERTISEMENT

ITS OVER

MT01

All American
Aug 1, 2005
Just talked to an old source from my way back days. We are officially f’d.

Sun Belt won. We lose. When the realignment musical chairs stopped MT is one of four left out.

Doesn’t look like the MAC has an immediate interest and plans to ponder its future. Every single person associated with MT athletics beginning with McPhee on down should be immediately fired. But even if that were to happen it wouldn’t matter. We can’t be saved now. The ship has sunk and we are still on it.

I suspect MT will either have to go FCS now or drop football all together as we will need to seek a home for Olympic sports. It’s been a pleasure knowing you all. Peace out!

We know it's over. It's been pretty clear we will be one of the schools left without a chair. And rightly so. Our "leaders" have done nothing to prove that we take athletics seriously here at MT. Nothing. The fact that they got on twitter and started discussing bowl eligibility and athlete's grades/GPA is a ****ing disgrace. NOBODY CARES ABOUT THAT SHIT.

Wanna know what people care about? Commitment, nice facilities/building new facilities, chasing the best coaches, and winning.

We've spent the last 10 years building new locker rooms for our softball team and new tennis courts and god knows what else for sports NOBODY cares about. Meanwhile, schools with a real commitment have built new football stadiums, indoor practice facilities, state-of-the-art athletic complexes, and so forth. Who do you think is getting the conference invites in that scenario? LOL

And the saddest part of it all, everyone saw this coming a mile away. I truly don't know how the "leaders" here at MT can be so inept, so flat footed, so inexplicably RETARDED.

That's what gets me. That money should have been spent on FB which would bring in more money which then could fund the other sports.

All though we still would be stuck with Mr. .500 so it may not have made a difference.

So many woulda shoulda coulda with this administration.

I've thought for a while we should dump money into basketball over football. Now look what is happening with the football team and athletics in general being in complete disarray.

Is Stockstill aware that he is one of the ones who killed MT football? He must be a pompous ass.

I was thinking this as well. McPhee, Massaro, and Stockstill have destroyed MT Athletics.

I wonder if they have any self respect and accountability to that fact? Or do you think they each blame each other?

Stockstill blames Massaro & McPhee for not investing more $$ in athletics. He rationalizes his poor teams and results because other schools had unfair advantages over him with facilities, recruiting, and athletic department support.

McPhee blames Massaro for bad contracts and bad hires, and blames Stockstill for poor results and never delivering a championship program.

Massaro blames McPhee for tying his hands and not having appropriated funds for new facilities, and blames Stockstill for poor results and never delivering a championship program.

Whereas the reality is, all 3 of them individually and collectively ruined MT Athletics

Stockstill never could deliver a championship football program and get the community involved.

Massaro could never fundraise enough $$$, get the community involved, hire the right coaches, or invest the resources he does have appropriately into the major sports

McPhee sat around and allowed incompetence and mediocrity to flourish, and insisted on one of the worst hires in D1 basketball over the last 10 years across the entire sport.

One huge, massive failure and they all are to blame.

Do you think we get any self respect or accountability from any of them?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bolt_Up_72
Just talked to an old source from my way back days. We are officially f’d.

Sun Belt won. We lose. When the realignment musical chairs stopped MT is one of four left out.

Doesn’t look like the MAC has an immediate interest and plans to ponder its future. Every single person associated with MT athletics beginning with McPhee on down should be immediately fired. But even if that were to happen it wouldn’t matter. We can’t be saved now. The ship has sunk and we are still on it.

I suspect MT will either have to go FCS now or drop football all together as we will need to seek a home for Olympic sports. It’s been a pleasure knowing you all. Peace out!
One of 4 left our? Who is being picked up between WKU, UTEP, FIU, and La Tech? I assume WKU to the MAC?

I was thinking this as well. McPhee, Massaro, and Stockstill have destroyed MT Athletics.

I wonder if they have any self respect and accountability to that fact? Or do you think they each blame each other?

Stockstill blames Massaro & McPhee for not investing more $$ in athletics. He rationalizes his poor teams and results because other schools had unfair advantages over him with facilities, recruiting, and athletic department support.

McPhee blames Massaro for bad contracts and bad hires, and blames Stockstill for poor results and never delivering a championship program.

Massaro blames McPhee for tying his hands and not having appropriated funds for new facilities, and blames Stockstill for poor results and never delivering a championship program.

Whereas the reality is, all 3 of them individually and collectively ruined MT Athletics

Stockstill never could deliver a championship football program and get the community involved.

Massaro could never fundraise enough $$$, get the community involved, hire the right coaches, or invest the resources he does have appropriately into the major sports

McPhee sat around and allowed incompetence and mediocrity to flourish, and insisted on one of the worst hires in D1 basketball over the last 10 years across the entire sport.

Anybody want a free T-Shirt??????

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
This report is entirely believable based on available public information. I know that this is the exact likely outcome that the signs have been pointing to since last week that has had me posting in disgust and outrage all week. Obviously, I haven't been the only one shouting this warning all week.

Heck, almost all of us have been shouting from the rooftops for years warning of this failing direction of the athletic department.

If this continues to unfold as it has been without an almost miraculous development, in a matter of days it could end up being too late. If this unfolds like that, I imagine I won't be the only alumnus and fan that they will have completely lost likely to never come back.

Last edited:
Seems like we at least have a shot at the MAC. FIU, LaTech and UTEP really have no options. Unbelievable really.
I've run across a public report or two in the last day or so that indicates that the MAC is really not seriously considering any expansion. Those reports could be wrong. Just saying, there are mixed reports at best based on speculation. I ain't holding my breath.

I'd be glad to be wrong, but this all just ain't looking good.

I wanted to be the nice person and hope he gets to 100 wins and retires, but now, nope. Especially if we lose tonight.

Given the shape of our athletic program, the current leadership (or lack there of), and the lack of success in positive revenue sports, this is exactly where we should be. Hopefully with the program's back up against the wall and the changes to be made, some leadership will emerge.

I'm personally hoping that we cannot find a conference home for football and go the independent route. Sure scheduling will take more effort, but we this is in the only way to stabilize the entire athletic departments financial situation. Sure UConn, NMSU, and UMASS have struggled as independent's but Liberty has done a great job. Let's do years of (5) Power 5 games + 4+4 home/away games vs. G5 opponents to get financial stability, come up with some $$$ to improve facilities, create higher budgets for coaching, and improve the team performance. Find a regional D1 conference that will take us for other sports. The only objective in finding a conference for other sports would be to reduce travel expenses and maintain NCAA tournament bid opportunities. It shouldn't be hard to find an Olympic sport conference and it doesn't really matter what conference it is.

Either way, we are at the point now with lack of an enthusiastic fan base, that it really doesn't matter. The doors could close, and for the short term it wouldn't matter. There FCS, HBCUs, and maybe some high schools with larger fan bases, better marketing, and financials than MT Athletics.

Oh, I could say with a high degree of certitude what they are saying and thinking just based on general human observations in similar circumstances.

There may be a minor bit of resentment between those three over the events of the last years, you know over usual disagreements over stuff. I'd about be willing to bet the farm that those three are blaming us. My strong suspicion is that they are especially blaming us, the "negative" "critics" that were trying to warn them of the direction of things with the continued failures. If we weren't so negative and just attended games and gave money, all would have been well.

That is the usual mindset in such circumstances. Those who carry the responsibility but refused to accept or address weaknesses or failures almost always double down on blaming others for their failures particularly those who tried to warn them or call for accountability. Since I have yet to see a resignation coming from over at campus, it likely means they are A) about to pull off a miracle (ain't holding my breath on this option) B) ain't accepting responsibility for their failings. If so, that usually leads back to doubling down on blaming the very people that were trying to warn them.

I would also venture a guess that some of those few in authority have and continue at times to blame the "little middle" mindset. You know, using the attitude that Middle Tennessee is too small, too little fans, too little support, too little community involvement, too little media support etc etc etc. Those are all legit challenges for most programs, but it is not excuse to accept failure or poor outcomes in general. Additionally, people like Kermit disproved that mindset as a valid excuse for failure. It may require extra time and work, but those challenges can be overcome to achieve success at Middle Tennessee.

Obviously, I could be wrong since I don't know them personally and am not inside their heads. I'm just saying those are typically the kind of behaviors exhibited in similar situations.

One of 4 left our? Who is being picked up between WKU, UTEP, FIU, and La Tech? I assume WKU to the MAC?
I didn’t want to say because it’s in the 50/50 realm and if what’s already happened hasn’t blown the lid off this place and what I’m hearing happens what’s left of us may get the pitch forks out.

James Madison isn’t a slam dunk. From what I understand the Goats up in Bowling Green are still ver much in play under two scenarios particularly because some schools are pushing hard for their inclusion. And fyi no one wants us. No one is advocating for us. So, one scenario is JMU doesn’t get approval to move up and wkcc fills that spot with Marshall, ODU, and USM. The other scenario entails the Sun Belt going to 16 with JMU adding La Tech and wkcc. Either way we are f’d but even more so in this second because there is nothing left to salvage in C-USA. Oh and Liberty is out.

So, there it is. If there is a more egregious scenario than what is already happening it would be this basically being relegated to FCS while you watch your biggest rival be chosen over you. Paramount to Ohio State getting an invite to the SEC while Michigan has to go play in the AAC.

Be a nice ending though right? Prove everyone right. Clean house. Start over in a year like UAB? Might be the best thing that ever happened to us. Did you really want to watch this $&@“ for another 5 years?

Reactions: MTTrueBlue
Again, it sounds like little if any accountability to be expected.

Stock retiring is not the issue. Needed, but not the pertinent issue at this point.

Scapegoating Massaro would just be adding duplicity to the colossal failure. In my opinion, there is no accountability short of McPhee being forced out. Of course both M&M should be forced out immediately.

It almost sounds by MT01's insights that MTSU's leadership hasn't been playing well with others.

The thing is, there is no one to hold anyone accountable.

The board rubber stamped McPhee. CM is his yes man so he ain't gonna toss him. It just is a bad look all around.

I really thought having our own board could lead to some changes. Nope. Might as well just make us UT Murfreesboro. I really don't understand what type of "vision" McPhee has for us.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I don’t remember if it was posted here or I saw it on Twitter, but some CUSA university told the AAC before this started that it would not risk/take debt to upgrade the athletic facilities necessary to be competitive with other AAC schools.

I don’t know the personnel at La Tech, WKU, FIU or UTEP, but hearing that I am 99% convinced that came from Chris Massaro and McPhee. It sure sounds like their lack of vision. To the OP point, why would any conference want us that’s our mentality.

It’s so infuriating how much M&M have shot this athletic program in the foot. I have been saying I hope we are doing whatever possible to get into the MAC instead of being stuck with FCS and D2 additions but given the two in charge of things, I wouldn’t be surprised if the attitude is “we’ll be fine”

I don’t remember if it was posted here or I saw it on Twitter, but some CUSA university told the AAC before this started that it would not risk/take debt to upgrade the athletic facilities necessary to be competitive with other AAC schools.

I don’t know the personnel at La Tech, WKU, FIU or UTEP, but hearing that I am 99% convinced that came from Chris Massaro and McPhee. It sure sounds like their lack of vision. To the OP point, why would any conference want us that’s our mentality.

I posted the link from Twitter. It was an FIU beat writer who said it. Doesn't mean it was FIU but the official used UCF as an example so probably was.

But point is still valid. Could easily be MT saying that. EASILY.

I didn’t want to say because it’s in the 50/50 realm and if what’s already happened hasn’t blown the lid off this place and what I’m hearing happens what’s left of us may get the pitch forks out.

James Madison isn’t a slam dunk. From what I understand the Goats up in Bowling Green are still ver much in play under two scenarios particularly because some schools are pushing hard for their inclusion. And fyi no one wants us. No one is advocating for us. So, one scenario is JMU doesn’t get approval to move up and wkcc fills that spot with Marshall, ODU, and USM. The other scenario entails the Sun Belt going to 16 with JMU adding La Tech and wkcc. Either way we are f’d but even more so in this second because there is nothing left to salvage in C-USA. Oh and Liberty is out.

So, there it is. If there is a more egregious scenario than what is already happening it would be this basically being relegated to FCS while you watch your biggest rival be chosen over you. Paramount to Ohio State getting an invite to the SEC while Michigan has to go play in the AAC.

both of these scenarios put MT and CUSA in untenable situations. Would explain why Judy is talking to Tarleton State…..

this is going to end badly. Very badly.

If WKU goes somewhere without us (I don't see MAC if they expand taking us and someone else but not WKU), then that's it. Drop to FCS and SOCON or ASUN or shut it down. We could survive in a regional FCS conference.

No way we could survive in a new CUSA with what looks to be tons of western schools. No way.

Reactions: MT Glenn
I posted the link from Twitter. It was an FIU beat writer who said it. Doesn't mean it was FIU but the official used UCF as an example so probably was.

But point is still valid. Could easily be MT saying that. EASILY.
Highly unlikely it’s MT.

Massaro has indicated multiple times they will take out bonds to pay for the upgrades

Highly unlikely it’s MT.

Massaro has indicated multiple times they will take out bonds to pay for the upgrades
If he was serious, then where are the upgrades promised years ago?

I know magically he announced pending bids that just happen to be the week we were left out of the AAC. Where was this action before? where was the public progress reports? Why are we behind their projected plans from years ago?

If he was serious, we would already have the bonds.

He may not have said it, but Massaro has proven to be a liar or incompetent when it comes to facilities.

I know magically he announced pending bids that just happen to be the week we were left out of the AAC. Where was this action before? where was the public progress reports? Why are we behind their projected plans from years ago?

He may not have said it, but Massaro has proven to be a liar or incompetent when it comes to facilities.
The plans have been in the works for a while now. They are, it appears, actually doing something... but obviously it didn't matter to AAC/SBC.

Memphis used TN School Bonding Authority funds for $10MM to start the IPF and Football Facility upgrade. They borrowed another $10MM from the School Foundation to finish the project.

As I understand it, you have to have a dedicated stream of income to apply for the bonds. They needed the revenue stream from increased student fees to apply for the bonds.

To the best of my memory, Massaro has been consistent : bonds would be used.

Massaro’s consistency re: bonds does not leave him without criticism. These improvements should have been built years ago. It’s taken longer than it should. And that’s on Massaro & McPhee for not doing more sooner.

How many MT fans genuinely know anything about Tarleton State short of using Google? I barely knew about them; primarily from a colleague I worked with 15 years ago who lived near Stephensville, Texas. He later received a masters degree from Abilene Christian. As I recall, Tarleton was a recent D-2, and just moved up to WAC not long ago. Tarleton MIGHT help Judy get New Mexico State as a travel partner to UTEP, but that’s all the value is stabilize three teams fate and open the FBS door to an aspiring university.

Folks, MT needs a miracle. Basically, our athletics program has become homeless. Thanks to collective failures in university leadership, coaches, and conference commissioner who let the proverbial farm get essentially foreclosed and repossessed out from under us. And, it’s going to require many charity acts made on our behalf to get a tolerable conference home again. The problem is MT’s proverbial FBS credit score and optics profile is now bad…help doesn’t appear on the way.

MT is attempting to hitch a proverbial boxcar ride. Although multiple dismissals and resignations are in order, it really won’t help in the immediate term. The story now is about triage to stay FBS viable. Forget Bowl Eligible promotions: the way this conference is trending, bowl slots vanish and be awarded to AAC, Sun Belt, or even MAC. Actually, the OVC might actually be better overall than this C-USA version 4.0 (or whatever this now is if we count from the 1980s Metro Conference). (Hint—Beth DeBauche is a good contact to start conversations, Chris Massaro even though it would likely sacrifice FBS 🏈). Athletics Department is far more reaching beyond FBS 🏈 —it’s all sports MT sponsors for scholarship that is being affected. Think twice, think clearly, and be decisive!!

Rough times ahead for Blue Raider fans. Maybe MT prevails again as a leader in my lifetime. However, hope is dim and many other things in life are worthy of my support as I age. Let’s certainly hope the dim light seen is not a second train ending all dreams Doctor James E. Walker had for a fine, world-class university and athletics program that was overwhelmingly assured 23-27 years ago.

Some sad words: “What might have been!” That’s the MT Blue Raiders story circa October 2021. What a story to greet alumni back to campus homecoming week! But, many will ignore background noise because we are “little middle” in many media’s and public’s mind.

Tennessee State University—Murfreesboro?
Sounding more plausible by the day as merger may be a longer term agenda in play since Nashville (690,000) and Murfreesboro (156,000) are effectively a unified urban area in the larger MSA and synergies could be developed towards that line of thought.

How many MT fans genuinely know anything about Tarleton State short of using Google? I barely knew about them; primarily from a colleague I worked with 15 years ago who lived near Stephensville, Texas. He later received a masters degree from Abilene Christian. As I recall, Tarleton was a recent D-2, and just moved up to WAC not long ago. Tarleton MIGHT help Judy get New Mexico State as a travel partner to UTEP, but that’s all the value is stabilize three teams fate and open the FBS door to an aspiring university.

Folks, MT needs a miracle. Basically, our athletics program has become homeless. Thanks to collective failures in university leadership, coaches, and conference commissioner who let the proverbial farm get essentially foreclosed and repossessed out from under us. And, it’s going to require many charity acts made on our behalf to get a tolerable conference home again. The problem is MT’s proverbial FBS credit score and optics profile is now bad…help doesn’t appear on the way.

MT is attempting to hitch a proverbial boxcar ride. Although multiple dismissals and resignations are in order, it really won’t help in the immediate term. The story now is about triage to stay FBS viable. Forget Bowl Eligible promotions: the way this conference is trending, bowl slots vanish and be awarded to AAC, Sun Belt, or even MAC. Actually, the OVC might actually be better overall than this C-USA version 4.0 (or whatever this now is if we count from the 1980s Metro Conference). (Hint—Beth DeBauche is a good contact to start conversations, Chris Massaro even though it would likely sacrifice FBS 🏈). Athletics Department is far more reaching beyond FBS 🏈 —it’s all sports MT sponsors for scholarship that is being affected. Think twice, think clearly, and be decisive!!

Rough times ahead for Blue Raider fans. Maybe MT prevails again as a leader in my lifetime. However, hope is dim and many other things in life are worthy of my support as I age. Let’s certainly hope the dim light seen is not a second train ending all dreams Doctor James E. Walker had for a fine, world-class university and athletics program that was overwhelmingly assured 23-27 years ago.

Some sad words: “What might have been!” That’s the MT Blue Raiders story circa October 2021. What a story to greet alumni back to campus homecoming week! But, many will ignore background noise because we are “little middle” in many media’s and public’s mind.

Tennessee State University—Murfreesboro?
Sounding more plausible by the day as merger may be a longer term agenda in play since Nashville (690,000) and Murfreesboro (156,000) are effectively a unified urban area in the larger MSA and synergies could be developed towards that line of thought.
I knew a bit about Tarleton State from a friend at the gym. He played ball there about 10-15 years ago and has raved about the new facilities and vision from the president. Now in the WAC, they share a conference several other schools in TX (including some near my place in east TX).

Reactions: Raiderclyde
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT