ADVERTISEMENT

ITS OVER

Tarleton State?

we’re making the same mistake CUSA did years ago, and AAC did just weeks ago - college football markets don’t matter.

It’s brands that matter. People watch interesting teams and brands and programs with stories. They don’t watch simply because a certain metro area in theory has x number of eyeballs and TV sets.

I guess though that it doesn’t really matter -in order to stay afloat we’re going to throw open the doors and whatever crap wanders in is now our conference mates.

God Damn McPhee, Massaro, and Stockstill.

well if jmu is not a go, odu may pull back along with Marshall. Marshall has already said they will let the new president make the decision. so could app, ga st and Coastal join the CUSA east?

I posted about Tarleton State in the other thread. I know them well Since I live in the area. Basically it’s viewed as a community college. If we go to a conference with them, we have hit a new low. their Reputation around the area is clearly that they are a complete joke academically and athletically. If we end up with them, I seriously might throw in the towel permanently. A complete embarrassment

I don't think WKU is going anywhere, either. From WKU's president on Friday:

“I will say this: The presidents in the conference have been working hard with their colleagues to talk about the future of Conference USA. There are conversations happening about those that might join, those who enjoy being with us,” Caboni added.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I don't think WKU is going anywhere, either. From WKU's president on Friday:
I'm sure it is equally if not more frustrating for wku alumni and fans as it is for MT fans, since you guys have had more success on the field in football than MT in CUSA and more in basketball after Kermit departed MT for Ole Miss. Welcome.

Yep. It is a nightmare we can't wake up from. Never would I have imagined this is how the last? domino would have fallen.
You might can tell by the tenor of our little group that we're extremely unhappy with our coaches, our AD, and our President, and after watching the tedious video from our Board of Trustees September meeting there probably needs a good housecleaning there as well.

Reactions: dukewayne
You might can tell by the tenor of our little group that we're extremely unhappy with our coaches, our AD, and our President, and after watching the tedious video from our Board of Trustees September meeting there probably needs a good housecleaning there as well.
I have complete confidence with our AD, Todd Stewart. But our newish president, Tim Caboni, not so much. He has been looking for a grander job since he stepped on the Hill. I don't have as much confidence in how he is navigating this.

It has been really sad to see the decline at MTSU. WKU and MTSU benefit when are both competitive.

Yep, in my opinion WKU doesn't deserve this. I have to wonder if they are being dragged down by their affiliation with MTSU as a rival & travel partner? Then again, commish MacLeod's abysmal and pathetic leadership would easily explain the horrible circumstances of WKU.

I saw this coming for MTSU under M&M, but I didn't see this coming for WKU.

By the way, the horrid C-USA leadership has been exemplified over the years by the conference's refusal to prioritize the WKU & MTSU rivalry. What should have been perhaps the conference's best and oldest rivalry seemed to be merely an afterthought. Weren't there a few years where MTSU & WKU played only once a year during conference play?

I agree, Duke. I seem to also recall a couple of years we didn't even have a home-and-home basketball game.

We were held back by being in a small market and being a former SBC that apparently left with bad blood, don't think it has anything to do with MTSU.

Weren't there a few years where MTSU & WKU played only once a year during conference play?
That was the result of cusa assigning uab as MT's travel partner or however it was described and wku tied the same to Marshall.

Bringing up uab, reminds that when uab shutdown their football program, I believe the conference gave uab some sort of grace period because when that happened they were no longer a full member of the conference. At least that is what I remember. If they hadn't they might have been out of the conference.

Massaro's old college buddy Selig, the AD at ODU and formerly at wku probably didn't give much thought to screwing his old buddy or his former employer.

Reactions: galojah
I will say, if we are going to be in purgatory, I'm glad we are in it together with our closest rival.
My road trip up there a few years ago when our Blue Raiders were blown out by halftime was made palatable by the seafood concessionaire on the visitors side that sells fish tacos. Good stuff!!!😋

Reactions: galojah
My road trip up there a few years ago when our Blue Raiders were blown out by halftime was made palatable by the seafood concessionaire on the visitors side that sells fish tacos. Good stuff!!!😋
They also sold beer before selling beer was a thing and the atmosphere in the grassy knoll in the end zone was awesome.
But my greatest memory of that game (that I’m not proud of) was the shouting match I got into with Ty Nix as he exits the field at half time.
Man, that hundred miles of hate back home was miserable.

Last edited:
I gotta say, I love WKU's stadium and campus. I was there for both of their Conference title games. One of my best friends is a WKU grad and fan. so I supported him in those years.

I also have to say that I just don't understand why in the world the AAC or Belt didn't take them. I get why they passed on us but WKU has 2 titles in football and they have done well in BB as well. They are a good program. I'm rooting for them and I hope we are with them because our rivalry is what college sports is supposed to be about. Hardly anyone honors it anymore but we still have ours.

I gotta say, I love WKU's stadium and campus. I was there for both of their Conference title games. One of my best friends is a WKU grad and fan. so I supported him in those years.

I also have to say that I just don't understand why in the world the AAC or Belt didn't take them. I get why they passed on us but WKU has 2 titles in football and they have done well in BB as well. They are a good program. I'm rooting for them and I hope we are with them because our rivalry is what college sports is supposed to be about. Hardly anyone honors it anymore but we still have ours.
JT,
The AAC did not take Western due to the TV market. Case in point is Rice. Rice has done nothing in sports as of late. They have an incredible endowment and the Houston TX tv market.

They also sold beer before selling beer was a thing and the atmosphere in the grassy knoll in the end zone was awesome.
But my greatest memory of that game (that I’m not proud of) was the shouting match I got into with Ty Nix as he exits the field at half time.
Man, that hundred miles of hate back home was miserable.
Ty Nix is a big man. 😂

I posted about Tarleton State in the other thread. I know them well Since I live in the area. Basically it’s viewed as a community college. If we go to a conference with them, we have hit a new low. their Reputation around the area is clearly that they are a complete joke academically and athletically. If we end up with them, I seriously might throw in the towel permanently. A complete embarrassment
Tarleton State is a rodeo school, first and foremost. Im from TX. Agree with the post above. Not noted by anyone to be a major player within the state.

I doubt that. Im not saying we're a strong brand, but NOBODY knows who Tarleton State is.
What I meant was that we are the bottom of the barrel of FBS now. Sure, they know us, but apparently that's detrimental. We're the kid in high school that nobody wants to be seen with. If Tarleton State wants to be our friend, then it's worth considering at least.

I doubt that. Im not saying we're a strong brand, but NOBODY knows who Tarleton State is.
I had never heard of them and I’m old!!! I Googled them and they have been D-II until 2019. They aren’t even eligible to “compete” (no pun intended) at the FCS level playoffs until 2024????

I have no words.

Last edited:
I dont want to be Tarleton State's friend ha. They are barely even FCS. The fact that Judy is considering them is appalling. There have to be at least 20 FCS brands with more clout than them.

But agreed, we are at the bottom of the FBS barrel right now, however, with the recent AAC adds, winning apparently isnt everything.

It looks like Tarleton State is doing some good things to improve their university athletically. I hope they are successful with what they are trying to do. Maybe one day we will be wanting them in our conference, but that day is definitely not today and should not be anytime soon. There are numerous FCS schools within our geographic footprint that would be better choices.

It looks like Tarleton State is doing some good things to improve their university athletically. I hope they are successful with what they are trying to do. Maybe one day we will be wanting them in our conference, but that day is definitely not today and should not be anytime soon. There are numerous FCS schools within our geographic footprint that would be better choices.
I agree. Unfortunately, Judy is obsessed with making sure that geographic footprint is centered around Texas. She'll be more attracted to the currently inferior Texas schools.

I’d rather be independent in football than be in a Texas centered conference.

We can still make a bowl….which is the ceiling a G5 has in this cartel known as college football.
Central Tennessee State University trying to survive as a football Independent would require a minimum of 10 wins a year and at least one road win over a P5 school. Then patiently wait by the phone while offering prayers every day for the lower tier bowl aligned conference schools to finish with losing seasons.

With the amount of bowls out there, certainly there would be an invite when a bowl couldn't fill a spot. There are 43 bowls in play.

In 2001, there were only 25 bowls available when we went 8-3. It would definitely be a numbers game...

Central Tennessee State University trying to survive as a football Independent would require a minimum of 10 wins a year and at least one road win over a P5 school. Then patiently wait by the phone while offering prayers every day for the lower tier bowl aligned conference schools to finish with losing seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT