ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Article on U of Louisiana - Lafayette coach Billy Napier in Sunday's "Tennessean"

MTFNBY5

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2005
While this extensive article is primarily about Napier's career, philosophy, and prospects of moving toa P5 program (he's already been pursued) of interest to MT readers is the plan in place so La La (out of respect to Monroe I try to avoid calling them Louisiana) can be seen as "Vying for the top Group of 5 spot in America".

The plan includes adding staff (grad assistants, quality control analyst, and nutritionist) and a $65 million stadium project along with giving Napier a new $2 million contract.

The biggest take-away to me was the following statement from A. D. Dr. Bryan Maggard: " . . . the key to a Louisiana football ascent was landing attainable recruits from the school's footprint rather than losing them to lower- or mid-tier Power 5 schools" "Billy and his staff are doing that." The 25th ranked Ragin' Cajuns (USA Today's offseason ranking) have had the top Sun Belt classes for the last three years and this incoming class is expected to be the best yet and is ranked above several Power 5 programs at number 68 nationally.

Nuff said!

Meanwhile in Murfreesboro, we'll continue on with the same failed tactics of the past 10 years because eventually they'll work.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
It's so depressing reading stuff like this. I've been to ULaLa for a game and while it was a decent place, it was nothing special.

I admire their AD and University for setting such lofty goals, and then backing that talk up with $65 million in renovations and a $2 million contract for their coach.

Reading stuff like this makes it literally impossible to be an MT fan. I can understand Power 5 programs passing us by and being in a league of their own, but when your peers and even FCS programs are making us look like a laughing stock, it becomes impossible to want to be involved or care.

MT just isn't it yall. We have no ambition, no leadership, no money, no political clout, and no future.

I remember when Louisiana fired Hudspeth before hiring Napier. Their AD said it was due to dwindling attendance, dwindling donations and 3 straight losing seasons.

The decision was made....along with a sense of apathy that surrounded our program.”

I know Hud had NCAA issues, but he also was more successful than Stock. By the time he was fired at ULL, the program mirrored MT under Stock.

Fan apathy at MT is as bad as I’ve seen it since I enrolled in 2003 and became an alum in 2005. I will be shocked if they can draw 50 people at these Blitz functions. Maybe they’ll be able to convert some of the regulars who are already there eating and drinking in the respective establishments.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT