ADVERTISEMENT

ITS OVER

Darrell’s 20 minutes told me 3 things:
1) We still have a building in the middle of campus bearing an offensive name which is a barrier in recruiting (for both athletics and academics).
2) Our unsuccessful attempt at acquiring the Law School could have been handled much better.
3) Our admin and BOT strategy to grow “organically” instead of being aggressive in acquiring other campuses has resulted in the UTK system being expanded directly into our market less than 80 miles from Cope.

There's and old LBJ quote about a political opponent (RFK or J Edgar Hoover): "Well, it’s better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in."

Since he is no longer vice chair, pissing into the tent now? Oped in Tennessean. Good for Darrell.

WOW! That is huge public criticism of MTSU leadership when someone with those levels of business and political connections writes that in Nashville's newspaper. If I'm not mistaken, all the while the state legislature is in special session in Nashville. Someone knew what they were doing.

In my opinion, this is an example of the type of political activity needed to get changes in MTSU leadership. That reads like MTSU has leadership that is too lazy or just doesn't care to take charge of pertinent matters to MTSU and the people of Tennessee. Just wow. This sort of thing needs to be supported.

Actually time for a fresh start.

As it looks like the move to the MAC is inevitable, I was thinking a little about this exact same thing.

This is what the sales pitch to any MT fans that are actually listening or at the least open to listening should be hearing from from Massaro and McPhee. And it can't just be a sales pitch. It has to be demonstrated by real action. By real action? There has to be major changes. The basketball coach should be sent packing immediately after he locks down a losing season which should be early January, and hire a basketball coach that has demonstrated he can win championships. If Stockstill is kept another season, .500 or not, then he must be forced to make significant changes in his staff, especially those position coaches responsible for the lines of scrimmage, both D and O.

When we start play in the MAC we need fresh faces, we need cranes reaching to the sky on facilities.

I would prefer to hear the sales pitch from a new AD and a new President as well, but I don't think we can get that in the short term, so it is going to be hard to sell a new start when these clowns have no credibility. They need to sell this with facts and numbers. No BS, No lies, no spin, and I'm not sure that can done even with honest brokers, much less those two clowns.

Sadly, so much of all of this boils down to the horrible leadership. I'm of the mind that the MAC is throwing MTSU a life line. I like the idea of the stability of the MAC especially considering the length of time that might be required to actually get competent leadership at MTSU.

I still have such low confidence in the leadership that I could still easily see them screwing up the lifeline from the MAC. Otherwords, it's not done until it's official.

Anyone else see coach stock as a guy who does not want to coach night games in the north? I also suspect he and the retirement crew do not relish the prospect of having to retool recruiting for the MAC. Too much work. One can hope he retires cause M&M can't be relied upon.

Of MAC, football, and weather, some smart scheduling would attempt to get November games played at MTSU & WKU while scheduling early season games in the far north.

Reactions: Raiderclyde
As it looks like the move to the MAC is inevitable, I was thinking a little about this exact same thing.

This is what the sales pitch to any MT fans that are actually listening or at the least open to listening should be hearing from from Massaro and McPhee. And it can't just be a sales pitch. It has to be demonstrated by real action. By real action? There has to be major changes. The basketball coach should be sent packing immediately after he locks down a losing season which should be early January, and hire a basketball coach that has demonstrated he can win championships. If Stockstill is kept another season, .500 or not, then he must be forced to make significant changes in his staff, especially those position coaches responsible for the lines of scrimmage, both D and O.

When we start play in the MAC we need fresh faces, we need cranes reaching to the sky on facilities.

I would prefer to hear the sales pitch from a new AD and a new President as well, but I don't think we can get that in the short term, so it is going to be hard to sell a new start when these clowns have no credibility. They need to sell this with facts and numbers. No BS, No lies, no spin, and I'm not sure that can done even with honest brokers, much less those two clowns.
And updated logo, mascot, etc

A complete re-branding. Including a name change. That requires that mcphee is no longer occupying Cope.

Yup. Of all the great things Walker grew this university in to, I wish he could've gotten the name changed too. He could've done it. There will be major pushback and McPhee doesn't have the clout. The law school fiasco proved that.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
So I was playing around and created a rebrand package a while ago. I feel the same way many do on here about the winged horse and I killed it. :) I decided to focus on the Raider aspect without the "confederate" past. This is what I came up with.

First of all the basketball coach should have been fired on March 24 when his buyout was reduced by half.

Also, how does all that get done you've suggested with this move? We have people on this very board - the ones who are supposed to be the most die hard - who are already eating this up arguing that even with an influx of millions by staying in C-USA nothing is ever going to get done or get better with this administration ergo it's the reason why we should take the invite to worst possible conference we could land in while its there. Yet the inverse of that - instead of receiving millions we're now going forfeit millions - and suddenly we're going to have the cash to buyout McDevitt or even Stockstill?? Oh and also build facilities?? Having a hard time following that logic train. Space, you're one of the smartest people on this board. You know that's pie in the sky. CM will try unsuccessfully to sell this like bowl eligibility as if it's paramount to getting an SEC invite.

But there won't be anything tangible behind it. Because how can there be? Instead of collecting a 1/5th share surplus of forfeited revenue from departing schools we will now be forced to forfeit our own revenues for the next two years. And over the past five years MT has average an annual distribution of $3.1M. One of the higher in the league. So, not only are we giving up a significant bump in distributions from C-USA over the next two years we're now looking at about $5 to $6M forfeited revenue over the next two years plus a $1M entry fee to the MAC. That's six or seven more body bag games against Georgia, Clemson, and Alabama just to get back to net zero. That's not building anything.

And I find it very hard to believe that suddenly we're going to see an influx of donors coming to the rescue. The move to the MAC is going to be perceived for what it is. Just as the comment above someone said the MAC is throwing us a lifeline. Being thrown a lifeline isn't the type of event that causes increased interest, excitement, and confidence in the direction. So, anyone thinking that we're going to see the donor base go up is playing with fools gold. And then lastly, you all already know how I feel this puts us at a strategic disadvantage competitively, because of recruiting and even moreso the impact on the fan base. The MT fan base isn't coming out to games on a Tuesday night. Even if we're doing well. It's going to continue to drive a wedge between the Univ and the fans. I know almost no one agrees with this and that's fine. But I will stick to it. I kind of had a feeling that it was Independence or maybe the MAC, but both are bad for MT for recruiting purposes. I did not expect C-USA to survive initially but it looks like it will. And three schools are going to make out very well financially as a result. MT will continue to struggle financially, because the fan base has evacuated and the donor base has dried up with it. Taking the cash and building both a more fan friendly experience and something that excites recruits was the path to take. But as others have said we always make the wrong decision.

Reactions: crposton and Hop45
First of all the basketball coach should have been fired on March 24 when his buyout was reduced by half.

Also, how does all that get done you've suggested with this move? We have people on this very board - the ones who are supposed to be the most die hard - who are already eating this up arguing that even with an influx of millions by staying in C-USA nothing is ever going to get done or get better with this administration ergo it's the reason why we should take the invite to worst possible conference we could land in while its there. Yet the inverse of that - instead of receiving millions we're now going forfeit millions - and suddenly we're going to have the cash to buyout McDevitt or even Stockstill?? Oh and also build facilities?? Having a hard time following that logic train. Space, you're one of the smartest people on this board. You know that's pie in the sky. CM will try unsuccessfully to sell this like bowl eligibility as if it's paramount to getting an SEC invite.

But there won't be anything tangible behind it. Because how can there be? Instead of collecting a 1/5th share surplus of forfeited revenue from departing schools we will now be forced to forfeit our own revenues for the next two years. And over the past five years MT has average an annual distribution of $3.1M. One of the higher in the league. So, not only are we giving up a significant bump in distributions from C-USA over the next two years we're now looking at about $5 to $6M forfeited revenue over the next two years plus a $1M entry fee to the MAC. That's six or seven more body bag games against Georgia, Clemson, and Alabama just to get back to net zero. That's not building anything.

And I find it very hard to believe that suddenly we're going to see an influx of donors coming to the rescue. The move to the MAC is going to be perceived for what it is. Just as the comment above someone said the MAC is throwing us a lifeline. Being thrown a lifeline isn't the type of event that causes increased interest, excitement, and confidence in the direction. So, anyone thinking that we're going to see the donor base go up is playing with fools gold. And then lastly, you all already know how I feel this puts us at a strategic disadvantage competitively, because of recruiting and even moreso the impact on the fan base. The MT fan base isn't coming out to games on a Tuesday night. Even if we're doing well. It's going to continue to drive a wedge between the Univ and the fans. I know almost no one agrees with this and that's fine. But I will stick to it. I kind of had a feeling that it was Independence or maybe the MAC, but both are bad for MT for recruiting purposes. I did not expect C-USA to survive initially but it looks like it will. And three schools are going to make out very well financially as a result. MT will continue to struggle financially, because the fan base has evacuated and the donor base has dried up with it. Taking the cash and building both a more fan friendly experience and something that excites recruits was the path to take. But as others have said we always make the wrong decision.
Bro, go tell this to the Athletic Department. I think it's obvious that we on this board have zero control of this move.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Bro, go tell this to the Athletic Department. I think it's obvious that we on this board have zero control of this move.

So, because my view is different you don't think I should talk about it here. Ok. Got it.

Question for you MT01:

Posit this scenario:

1. We don't get the cash windfall. I know you're convinced that we're in line for millions and millions, but these things have a way of being negotiated and dealed away. I'll believe it when I see Massaro standing in front of a giant check. We disagree here, but just humor me on this point.

2. Suppose any cash we do get is used for purposes that are relatively ineffectual - re-pave a parking lot, new roof on softball dugout, a few new incentives for Stock and crew for bowl eligibility!

There's no indication that M&M are unhappy with the FB program, and maybe not even the BBall program as well. We'd certainly agree that winning championships is somewhere down the list of goals for M&M - there's certainly a disconnect between what M&M consider adequate performance and what us fans would.

3. Blowing everything up and quitting football is not an option. I know you and Wiley are all like "burn it all down" but that ain't happening. It might feel good and be cathartic, but it ain't happening.

If those three scenarios are all true (which seems pretty realistic to me) - wouldn't the MAC and it's lower bar for competition (worse recruiting territory, lower budgeted schools, similar facilities or lack thereof) be a better landing spot?

I honestly think we can win in the MAC in our present state. Yes, even with Stock. Like it or not, we were always going to be at something of a disadvantage in a conference with schools based in Florida and Texas - for the very same reasons we've talked about - we don't have the recruiting territory of Florida or Texas and we don't have the budgets of some of those mega-schools.

And I believe that the only way back to some semblance of a successful athletic program is to build it back with winning.

FWIW, I think weekday games on ESPN are the way to go. This program will never draw going up against the SEC titanic matchup of the week, and it's only going to get worse when OU/Tx are added to the SEC schedule.

I don't mind the viewpoint at all. It's just wasted air and energy. Not gonna change anything.
I could say the same thing about every post on this board on the other end of the spectrum. But I guess from your perspective only those who disagree with you are wasted air and energy. Yours is more valuable. Again, got it. I'm catching on.

And BTW, no-freaking-where will you see where I've said anything remotely like burn it down or quit. That's wiley. I'm not that emotional about this. Just disappointed in what's transpired and the amount of time and money I've wasted over the past 20 years trying to help this place not suck. And yet it still does. Kind of frustrating when I think about it.

And BTW, no-freaking-where will you see where I've said anything remotely like burn it down or quit. That's wiley. I'm not that emotional about this. Just disappointed in what's transpired and the amount of time and money I've wasted over the past 20 years trying to help this place not suck. And yet it still does. Kind of frustrating when I think about it.

This post of yours is kind of like "burn it down" or "quit":

Then Doug in that case my vote isn't up there. Just drop football and give up all together. Because that's paramount to the same thing. It's a white flag. I don't think that way no matter how bad our leadership is. They will leave some day and things could improve.

Question for you MT01:

Posit this scenario:

1. We don't get the cash windfall. I know you're convinced that we're in line for millions and millions, but these things have a way of being negotiated and dealed away. I'll believe it when I see Massaro standing in front of a giant check. We disagree here, but just humor me on this point.

2. Suppose any cash we do get is used for purposes that are relatively ineffectual - re-pave a parking lot, new roof on softball dugout, a few new incentives for Stock and crew for bowl eligibility!

There's no indication that M&M are unhappy with the FB program, and maybe not even the BBall program as well. We'd certainly agree that winning championships is somewhere down the list of goals for M&M - there's certainly a disconnect between what M&M consider adequate performance and what us fans would.

3. Blowing everything up and quitting football is not an option. I know you and Wiley are all like "burn it all down" but that ain't happening. It might feel good and be cathartic, but it ain't happening.

If those three scenarios are all true (which seems pretty realistic to me) - wouldn't the MAC and it's lower bar for competition (worse recruiting territory, lower budgeted schools, similar facilities or lack thereof) be a better landing spot?

I honestly think we can win in the MAC in our present state. Yes, even with Stock. Like it or not, we were always going to be at something of a disadvantage in a conference with schools based in Florida and Texas - for the very same reasons we've talked about - we don't have the recruiting territory of Florida or Texas and we don't have the budgets of some of those mega-schools.

And I believe that the only way back to some semblance of a successful athletic program is to build it back with winning.

FWIW, I think weekday games on ESPN are the way to go. This program will never draw going up against the SEC titanic matchup of the week, and it's only going to get worse when OU/Tx are added to the SEC schedule.
Be careful Doug, There's too much common sense in your posts. Here's the deal, Judy is horrible. Like the worst commish ever. Waters and Benson were better and we didn't like them. If we stay we are guaranteed 2 things....

1. Judy
2. A horrible media deal that won't get better.

For those 2 reasons alone, I'm out. All CUSA is doing is pumping blood into a dead corpse. I think the AAC is no better now either with 6 CUSA teams and 4-5 of them being the same turds that weakened us in the first place. Judy is not gonna ever have our best interests at heart. We may never know what they did to get Liberty to want to join. That exit money windfall is mythical and will be filtered way down before a check ever gets mailed to MT.

Comparing G5 conferences in terms of prestige is like re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic. So, we might as well go where ESPN is. CUSA's conference championship games aren't even on ESPN. What does that say?

The SEC ain't ever walking through the door so now it's about being in a stable conference with ESPN ties. I also like weekday games. We have been scheduling head to head with Vandy, UT and Bama for 8 years now and that has worked out great. LOL. When we had games at MT on tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, we had good attendance and we were on ESPN by ourselves. You're telling me that's not better than being on Stadium or Facebook right when Bama, UT and Vandy are playing? Come on.

It's out of our hands but it makes sense to me.

Question for you MT01:

Posit this scenario:

To answer your questions about the cash, certainly understand the concern and plausibility that its not what we hope it will be. That said, there's not going to be the proverbial giant check. Bottom line is this. C-USA will have revenues for distribution somewhere in the $40-$45M range each of the final two years before the other nine leave. They forfeit their revenues the day they announced they were leaving. There are no "exit fees" per say. They simply give up their right to those distributions. Now, to your point Judy could decide to give herself a $10M raise and or blow it on a new toy jeep. Who knows. Yes, all that's possible. But the money for revenue distribution is going to be the same. The difference is there are only five (and now three schools) to distribute that $40 to $45M. The purpose of the conference is to distribute revenues to its members and promote its members interests. Could something go wrong? I'm sure that's possible but is cash strapped Southern Miss really going to spend as much on legal fees that equates to a years worth of forfeited revenue? I would venture not because those leaving have created a legal jeopardy for themselves by the amount of damage that is being done to C-USA. As such, departing schools face the risk of significant lawsuits if they attempt to block the league from distributing revenue. And BTW, both Marshall and USM have already publicly stated they are foregoing two years of revenue, so it's clear they are not gong to contest it. I don't see anyone else in the league doing that either. Too much legal risk there to do so.

As for the last question, again, I want to reiterated I've said nothing to the effect about burn it down.

This post of yours is kind of like "burn it down" or "quit":

Then Doug in that case my vote isn't up there. Just drop football and give up all together. Because that's paramount to the same thing. It's a white flag. I don't think that way no matter how bad our leadership is. They will leave some day and things could improve.
In response to your nonsensical hypothetical scenario. Context matters. But nice try.

I could say the same thing about every post on this board on the other end of the spectrum. But I guess from your perspective only those who disagree with you are wasted air and energy. Yours is more valuable. Again, got it. I'm catching on.

It does suck. I admire your passion. I wish we could change it. I wish we mattered enough to the Athletic Dept. My opinion totlay doesn't matter at all. I know that much. :) I just don't think there is a winning situation here. Just a lesser evil.

Be careful Doug, There's too much common sense in your posts. Here's the deal, Judy is horrible. Like the worst commish ever. Waters and Benson were better and we didn't like them. If we stay we are guaranteed 2 things....

1. Judy
2. A horrible media deal that won't get better.

For those 2 reasons alone, I'm out. All CUSA is doing is pumping blood into a dead corpse. I think the AAC is no better now either with 6 CUSA teams and 4-5 of them being the same turds that weakened us in the first place. Judy is not gonna ever have our best interests at heart. We may never know what they did to get Liberty to want to join. That exit money windfall is mythical and will be filtered way down before a check ever gets mailed to MT.

Comparing G5 conferences in terms of prestige is like re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic. So, we might as well go where ESPN is. CUSA's conference championship games aren't even on ESPN. What does that say?

The SEC ain't ever walking through the door so now it's about being in a stable conference with ESPN ties. I also like weekday games. We have been scheduling head to head with Vandy, UT and Bama for 8 years now and that has worked out great. LOL. When we had games at MT on tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, we had good attendance and we were on ESPN by ourselves. You're telling me that's not better than being on Stadium or Facebook right when Bama, UT and Vandy are playing? Come on.

It's out of our hands but it makes sense to me.

I think there's some ego involved here as to why folks may be having a hard time with this. We spent 15 years ragging on MAC programs like we were some giant of the sport, and then, all of a sudden, we are one of them.

But if you really dig down into the nuts and bolts of it all - It's a move that makes a lot of sense for a lot of factors.

I have no idea why I feel this way, but I'm kind of enthused for a new start here. I was completely bored with the last 5 or 6 years of MT football. It might still be a turd-burger of a conference, but it's at least a different flavor of turd-burger.

It does suck. I admire your passion. I wish we could change it. I wish we mattered enough to the Athletic Dept. My opinion totlay doesn't matter at all. I know that much. :) I just don't think there is a winning situation here. Just a lesser evil.
Touche.

We agree there. We just disagree which is the lesser evil. Obviously, Judy has no business being in charge. She needs to be removed ASAP regardless of who is left in the league. For us at this moment - given the failures and poor decisions of our administration the donor base is all but gone, which has destroyed our ability to be competitive in the marketplace. And there is nothing more important than cash. And even if my estimates are way to high and the next two years only would produce $10M that's still a good chunk of change we're going to be giving up by leaving.

The MAC isn't going to bring that back. Getting the facilities back on par is perhaps the first best step in not only helping us recruit better but when we do hire new coaches here in the next year or two or three that those good up and coming coaches will see that commitment and want to come here. We're a poor school going to an even poorer conference. On average, the MAC only distributes $25M per year.

In response to your nonsensical hypothetical scenario. Context matters. But nice try.

Your quote was in direct response to the above scenario in the "which option" thread.

There's no different context here. We've been discussing the same possible event across 3 days in several posts. It's all the same context - MT athletics to the MAC.

There's only like 15 of us here. It's not that hard to keep track of what's being posted back and forth.

Good luck convincing anyone here that you've not been one of the most hysterical and histrionic posters throughout this saga. You'd be better off just being like "yeah, i don't like the MAC idea and I was emotional" instead of the whole "yeah, but but but we were discussing something else and I didn't mean it that way" nonsense.

And to steer this back, why is my scenario nonsensical and hypothetical?

We've a leadership that you yourself have been critical of for failing to invest in the program. To see them all of a sudden invest in facilities and coaching changes would go against 15+ years of them doing the direct opposite. It's not hypothetical and nonsensical. Fool you once, shame on them. Fool you twice, shame on you. Who's at fault when they fool you 16 times?

You also have to know by precedent that $$$'s changing hands during conference re-alignment tends to end up something less than the initial figures bandied about. There are many many ways and factors for large sums to change hands going out, and coming in. To flatly declare that X amount of dollars are definitely being left on the table is simply unknowable at this time by anyone outside of the brokers of this move.

The fact is, my scenario is the most likely - we're not going to see that windfall, and any money we do see won't be used in any tangible progressive manner.

And the question still stands - if the $$$'s are less than many millions and won't be used to any effect anyway - are we not better off in the MAC?

Touche.

We agree there. We just disagree which is the lesser evil. Obviously, Judy has no business being in charge. She needs to be removed ASAP regardless of who is left in the league. For us at this moment - given the failures and poor decisions of our administration the donor base is all but gone, which has destroyed our ability to be competitive in the marketplace. And there is nothing more important than cash. And even if my estimates are way to high and the next two years only would produce $10M that's still a good chunk of change we're going to be giving up by leaving.

The MAC isn't going to bring that back. Getting the facilities back on par is perhaps the first best step in not only helping us recruit better but when we do hire new coaches here in the next year or two or three that those good up and coming coaches will see that commitment and want to come here. We're a poor school going to an even poorer conference. On average, the MAC only distributes $25M per year.
That's the issue. Judy ain't leaving and the members won't vote her out. At least the MAC commish wants us and went to bat for us. That says a lot to me. Judy has been nothing but Texas. She doesn't care about us whatsover. Also, wait for the reworked media deal. It's not gonna be good. Liberty will be getting a larger cut. They got a deal out of this. They were ignoring us until last week. Something was thrown into the pot to get them to budge.

I think the one point everyone can agree on is that M&M are a net negative and need to go. We’ve got good pieces in place if we ever were to get some competent and forward leaning leadership. It’s one thing to have your coaches’ backs, but it’s another to do that while expecting greatness and enforcing those standards your fan base is expecting. In that regard, it doesn’t matter where we are but a change might kick start that process or, less likely, change our fortunes.

I like the logos, but not on the helmet. Looks too "busy" for me there, but looks good on the 50 yd line

Interesting logos. I like the direction. A lot to go with using the definition of the Raider. Soldier, ships, etc. However the Blue just may be our continual depressive state and we are just now figuring that out.

raider​

noun
Save Word
To save this word, you'll need to log in.

raid·er | \ ˈrā-dər \

Definition of raider

: one that raids: such as
a: a fast lightly armed ship operating against merchant shipping
b: a soldier specially trained for close-range fighting
c: one that attempts a usually hostile takeover of a business corporationcorporate raiders

Reactions: blueraiderJT
I think the one point everyone can agree on is that M&M are a net negative and need to go. We’ve got good pieces in place if we ever were to get some competent and forward leaning leadership. It’s one thing to have your coaches’ backs, but it’s another to do that while expecting greatness and enforcing those standards your fan base is expecting. In that regard, it doesn’t matter where we are but a change might kick start that process or, less likely, change our fortunes.
You'll have to cart their corpses out of there when they finally drop. That's the only way they are leaving.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT