ADVERTISEMENT

Should Nick McDevitt have been fired after Six Years of 37% Performance vs D1?

Should Nick McDevitt have been fired after Six Years of 37% Performance vs D1?

• Total voters
As a Letterman and a part of an OVC Championship, I am appalled at the acceptance of less than mediocrity...
That is why I have not visited ANY MTSU sporting events in over 2 years and will not as long as McPhee is still a part of the situation... I hate it for Coach Mason, but a line should be drawn at some point....

Last edited:
As a Letterman and a part of an OVC Championship, I am appalled at the accentrance of less than mediocrity...
That is why I have not visited ANY MTSU sporting events in over 2 years and will not as long as McPhee is still a part of the situation... I hate it for Coach Mason, but a line should be drawn at some point....
I get the frustration bc I'm right there with you, but I recommend supporting the programs that are flourishing in spite of its ineptitude like WBB and Tennis

I'm inclined to vote NO, because change should have been made three years ago. There was already enough statistical data then but also a mountain of anecdotal evidence for an administration truly paying attention and wanting to win championships. Obviously, that is not MT.

Chris Massaro can't point to a single data point or metric that would justify retaining McDevitt. His own letter proved that point. So, what's the real reason?

Can we print posters with that same question and post them around campus? The question alone is eye opening how bad it's been and how LESS than mediocrity is accepted at MT. He isn't even at .500 over 6 years???? Wow. How do you justify him staying?

If you look at Kermit's record he was very average the first 8-9 years at MT, which unfortunately might be part of Administration's reluctance to make any change. They might be thinking it's a similar scenario. It's a totally different landscape now so that would be a terrible assumption.

Reactions: BlueraiderSC
Can we print posters with that same question and post them around campus? The question alone is eye opening how bad it's been and how LESS than mediocrity is accepted at MT. He isn't even at .500 over 6 years???? Wow. How do you justify him staying?

If you look at Kermit's record he was very average the first 8-9 years at MT, which unfortunately might be part of Administration's reluctance to make any change. They might be thinking it's a similar scenario. It's a totally different landscape now so that would be a terrible assumption.
CKD was average yes. But still had a winning overall and conference record after six seasons. He was 100-82 (51-41). He also only had one losing season in those first six.

I don't know how the admin can compare that to 83-106 (47-61) with four losing seasons and think there is an upward trajectory showing. And as you said, different landscape completely.

It's gotta be a $ thing. Yes it's $300k but still a lot when adding in staff buyouts plus a buyout most likely for new coach's old school. I get it, if they didn't extend him.

One of my parameters of judging Kermit vs Nick is Power 5 victories in a career. Don't know the exact number, but Davis had many Power 5 victories in his last 7 years at MT. Reviewing CNM's career at Asheville & MT I honestly couldn't find one.

Getting everybody to agree on anything is like herding cats. I don't begrudge a difference of opinion. but the fact that 95+ percent agree is saying something, but nobody in decision making positions is listening or cares what the majority of fans think.

Last edited:
Getting everybody to agree on anything is like herding cats. I don't begrudge a difference of opinion. but the fact that 95+ percent agree is saying something, but nobody in decision making positions is listening or cares what the majority of fans care.
It’s pretty public knowledge who the one person is at MTSU that likes his power and calling all the shots. He’s the main reason I won’t be back.

Reactions: coachchia and MTTim
I’m sorry to anyone who was hoodwinked by the CRS decision. This isn’t a fight worth fighting anymore. My money has already been redirected elsewhere. Not much more I can do.

I’m hearing two year extension. If they extended this loser I’m out

That's what I was thinking. Most recent FOIA revealed he had 1 year left but I'm guessing there's been another extension since then.

Truly insane. The entire situation feels literally criminal in nature. There's something going on that we are not picking up on. You could even tell McDevitt felt safe all year when the team looked like one of the worst squads in D1 but he was calm as a cucumber and all smiles after getting boat raced by Utah Tech or whatever podunk Utah school that was.

Maybe McDevitt is kicking back $100,000k cash/year to McPhee ? Something is seriously not right here. I've never seen a coach secure a contract extension after 6 years with a 37% winning percentage against D1. How does that actually happen ? Doesn't the board have to approve it ? Isn't there some sort of checks/balance to make sure stuff like this doesn't happen ?

Why does the continued incompetence and retaining of terrible coaches have to happen to my University? No other FBS/D1 school operates like this. Not even close. Why us?

Wow so three more years if that is true? Holy hell. I know that buyout for Stock cost a lot of money but every thing they said during that buyout will seem hollow if the three more years is true. If they added just one year to the remaining year it might make sense if there is a favorable buyout for MTSU at the end of next year if there is another bad season. Even that isn't great. Yikes.

Maybe McDevitt is kicking back $100,000k cash/year to McPhee ? Something is seriously not right here. I've never seen a coach secure a contract extension after 6 years with a 37% winning percentage against D1. How does that actually happen ? Doesn't the board have to approve it ? Isn't there some sort of checks/balance to make sure stuff like this doesn't happen ?
Considering McDevitt received an outrageously unjustified 750K per year salary to take the job, giving a yearly kickback to a sleazy as hell school president is totally conceivable.

Wow so three more years if that is true? Holy hell. I know that buyout for Stock cost a lot of money but every thing they said during that buyout will seem hollow if the three more years is true. If they added just one year to the remaining year it might make sense if there is a favorable buyout for MTSU at the end of next year if there is another bad season. Even that isn't great. Yikes.
It’s hollow not by that but by virtue of making excuses to bring him back at all. Let’s be clear here.

No, he doesn’t want to be cut off by the SID and Coaches.😂😂
I don’t like to speculate on what someone is thinking but considering it’s 30 to 1, who the one is, and fact no other rationale was offered (well there really isn’t a rational reason to have retained him), it’s difficult to avoid jumping to that conclusion. If that is indeed the case it PRECISELY mimics the mentality that has brought this university to the state that it’s in. Principle and self respect are increasingly difficult to find in this world.

I don’t like to speculate on what someone is thinking but considering it’s 30 to 1, who the one is, and fact no other rationale was offered (well there really isn’t a rational reason to have retained him), it’s difficult to avoid jumping to that conclusion. If that is indeed the case it PRECISELY mimics the mentality that has brought this university to the state that it’s in. Principle and self respect are increasingly difficult to find in this world.
Make that 31-1.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Which is exactly why I won’t pay for the “premium” information and journalism.

I really miss Adam Sparks coverage of the Blue Raiders.

Last edited:
I voted no for one reason: because the administration has not given us any reason to believe they would actually enforce standards of performance given the history over the last 6 years of our men’s basketball program. Why should we expect them to uphold that now? Football is one thing, but men’s hoops is a much smaller (budget wise and fan base wise) endeavor. It’s much easier to wait for the contract to expire and then not have to worry about firing him (assuming they didn’t give him an extension this year… concerning that some people are hearing they did).

Reactions: Hop45 and ewglenn
If you vote no explain.
1] we have 4 returning seniors that will probably go somewhere else if there is a coaching change.
2]we currently have a Hugh coaching buyout that we can’t afford . We sure don’t need another one this year.
3]we have a significant amount of NIL money flowing into the basketball program that may dry up if there is a change made now
4]providing that he has some talent, Nick has shown that he is as good or better as any other coach in our conference. I would use as an example wins over WKU, UAB, and FAU in the last 18 months.

1] we have 4 returning seniors that will probably go somewhere else if there is a coaching change.
2]we currently have a Hugh coaching buyout that we can’t afford . We sure don’t need another one this year.
3]we have a significant amount of NIL money flowing into the basketball program that may dry up if there is a change made now
4]providing that he has some talent, Nick has shown that he is as good or better as any other coach in our conference. I would use as an example wins over WKU, UAB, and FAU in the last 18 months.

Chris, is that you?

1. Based on performance that might be a good thing.

2. The cost of bringing this guy back is more expensive. Nick has destroyed the program.

3. First I’ve heard of this. Please provide some evidence that MT has a significant amount of NIL money.

4. What games have you been watching? Lucking into a couple of wins out of 190+ games during a 37% win tenure isn’t proof he’s better than any other coach. The overwhelming amount of contrary data is the proof not the outliers. The outliers are just that. These represent anomalies. If he was better than any other coach he would have at least a couple of regular season and conference titles by now after being here for six years.

Last edited:
Chris, is that you?

1. Based on performance that might be a good thing.

2. The cost of bringing this guy back is more expensive. Nick has destroyed the program.

3. First I’ve heard of this. Please provide some evidence that MT has a significant amount of NIL money.

4. What games have you been watching? Lucking into a couple of wins out of 190+ games during a 37% win tenure isn’t proof he’s better than any other coach. The overwhelming amount of contrary data is the proof not the outliers. The outliers are just that. These represent anomalies. If he was better than any other coach he would have at least a couple of regular season and conference titles by now after being here for six years.
3. Every scholarship player is receiving $3,000 a month through Venture Express/ The Allens.

As an investor, I demand a pretty strong, return or decent return on monies I’m putting into my trades. It goes for real estate I’ve purchased.
Three K a player. Not getting much of a return on that one.

It was a terrible decision to not fire NM after the WKU blowout, but criminal if he was extended 3 years.
Until this entire administration and board are replaced we can expect poor decisions to continue.
I really feel bad for CDM. If it hasn't already, he will wake up one day and realize what a bunch of imbeciles he is working for.
I believe now we don't deserve a coach as good as CDM.

• Sad
Reactions: SpaceRaider
so 36k a year for nil, plus stipend and any financial aid, they may get,that's a shifty return for these results

1) They just had another terrible season. The 4th losing season in the last 6th season,

2) The buyout is affordable (compared to Stock’s) & it’s possible to recoup the buyout with a GOOD HC hire.

3) Love the MBB getting NIL money but that money probably isn’t going away with a new HC.

4) that’s hilarious. Lutz took WKU to NCAA (and took TAMU-CC to NCAA 2x) and is heading off to OSU. MT could absolutely do better than McD, IMO.

There’s not gonna be change this offseason, but barring a 20-25 win season, McD needs to go after next season.

Has anyone tried to secure an interview with Messaro and just flat out asked what is the remaining contract, when was it signed and what metrics require his continued retention based on subpar results? Seems pretty easy to directly ask him in an interview, email, phone call, etc.

You’re an idiot.

Reactions: BigBlueBrad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT