ADVERTISEMENT

BB RECRUITING Savannah Davis Commits!

As a sophomore last year in McKenzie won the Class A Miss Basketball trophy & also the tournament mvp. Averaged right at 19 pps. Big time shooter from down town. Class of '24

Love the fact this coaching staff always shows appreciation for state of Tennessee ladies basketball players in their recruiting process!
Since Tennessee fans like to compare their AP ratings to ours, here's a rating of state selected players by THE University of Tennessee to Middle Tennessee women's basketball recruits.
Tennessee based players on UT roster - 2
Tennessee based players on MT roster - 7
Side note:
UT recruits from Michigan - 3
UT recruits from Tennessee - 2
UT top 25 status - NA
MT tip 25 status - 23

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Love the fact this coaching staff always shows appreciation for state of Tennessee ladies basketball players in their recruiting process!
Some of the best players in our program (and NCAA) history are the overlooked ones who are local products… taking a chance on them.

I think it helps that TN as a state produces a ton of d1 talent every year. Even if UT and Vandy wanted to fill their rosters with nothing but in-state players, there would still be some that fall through the cracks. It's a tremendous advantage MT has over alot of programs that they can have a roster filled with girls from this state and win at this level.

I've seen Davis play a few times, she can fill it up. Believe I saw where MT also offered Blair Baugus, 6'0 F C/O 2025 from Wayne Co that is having a great season

Good day for Jada Harrison as well, 17 pts 10 reb and 5 asst leading Westview to a title. Signing Baugus and Phifer would be the making for a great class a couple years from now

Good day for Jada Harrison as well, 17 pts 10 reb and 5 asst leading Westview to a title. Signing Baugus and Phifer would be the making for a great class a couple years from now
Things just keep looking better and better for the ladies. This could be our best team in program history and we have two seniors - granted, they're big pieces of the puzzle, but wow our potential for the next several years is through the roof.

Major key to the future is the MT administration keeping Matt & our assistants in place. University may have to come up with some more cash to maintain this crew. Matt, Nina, & Kim are great recruiters. If we can keep that unit here being led by Matt for another 4-5 years this program has Sweet 16 or better written all over it.

Talked to her Grandmother at the tournament and she indicated Blair already has about 8 offers from big time programs.
One of the good things about social media for athletes is they'll announce pretty much every offer they get. Best I can tell she has offers from Middle, Tech, Union, UTM, Lipscomb, UNA, UTC, and Jacksonville St.

Not trying to contradict her, but Middle is the biggest name she has an offer from at this point, likely to change this summer so hopefully getting in early on her makes an impression like it did for Harrison

Looks like Phifer and Baugus play for the same AAU Organization so hopefully that works in our favor

Last edited:
Major key to the future is the MT administration keeping Matt & our assistants in place. University may have to come up with some more cash to maintain this crew. Matt, Nina, & Kim are great recruiters. If we can keep that unit here being led by Matt for another 4-5 years this program has Sweet 16 or better written all over it.
Well, even if MT gives the job to Matt, they would be foolish to pay him what CRI is currently getting. Matt hasn’t earned that yet, especially when you factor in he flamed out in his one HC opportunity. So there would be some salary savings there.
Generally when an assistant gets promoted to the HC position, it seems most of the time they don’t keep many of their peers on his/her new staff. While watching a few games on tv this year one could argue Matt seems to be the de facto HC, I would guess some of the assistant’s might struggle with having a former peer now be their boss.
Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Well, even if MT gives the job to Matt, they would be foolish to pay him what CRI is currently getting. Matt hasn’t earned that yet, especially when you factor in he flamed out in his one HC opportunity. So there would be some salary savings there.
Generally when an assistant gets promoted to the HC position, it seems most of the time they don’t keep many of their peers on his/her new staff. While watching a few games on tv this year one could argue Matt seems to be the de facto HC, I would guess some of the assistant’s might struggle with having a former peer now be their boss.
Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Don't think it's an "if" at this point since they named Matt AHC. I do agree keeping Brewton and Davis might be hard to do, but don't think it's going to be a big deal working for him instead of with him if they both stay.

I'd argue that Matt probably has earned a salary close to what CRI is making. The level of talent Middle has been able to get has improved since he's been here.

BTW, Kimora Fields from Bradley Central is another one to look out for. She def stood out at the state tourney and is only a freshmen. Watching her gave me Alysha Clark vibes

Speaking of salary. Does anyone know what CRI makes compared to Nick? I know it's men to women salary comparison, but in essence the women probably have as many if not more paying fans than the men. Just saying, the disparity in pay to head coach & assistants between the 2 departments is probably very large. Don't see a problem making an investment with the best ROI probability.

Speaking of salary. Does anyone know what CRI makes compared to Nick? I know it's men to women salary comparison, but in essence the women probably have as many if not more paying fans than the men. Just saying, the disparity in pay to head coach & assistants between the 2 departments is probably very large. Don't see a problem making an investment with the best ROI probability.
In terms of paying fans, both teams are about equal over the last 5 years. But I think the disparity possibly being so large is not ideal especially given the strength of our women's program and the donor support we have in addition to what the men have.

I did a google search looking for just that a few months back and 2021 was the most recent I could find, McDevitt made 575k, Insell only made 300k

Don't think it's an "if" at this point since they named Matt AHC. I do agree keeping Brewton and Davis might be hard to do, but don't think it's going to be a big deal working for him instead of with him if they both stay.

I'd argue that Matt probably has earned a salary close to what CRI is making. The level of talent Middle has been able to get has improved since he's been here.
We have always had good talent. What we’ve lacked, other than the few months of Parker, is height. That’s likely a key reason CRI only has one win on his Big Dance card. If Matt is mostly responsible for the 2 bigs we now have, good for him.👏👏👏

We have always had good talent. What we’ve lacked, other than the few months of Parker, is height. That’s likely a key reason CRI only has one win on his Big Dance card. If Matt is mostly responsible for the 2 bigs we now have, good for him.👏👏👏
True on both counts, but signing Jada Harrison was the kind of signing we've lost out on in years past. Height has hurt Insell in some of his NCAA losses, but being able to consistently sign legit 4 star talent like Harrison is what takes Middle from being a team in the hunt for a NCAA berth to being a team with Sweet16/ Host potential every year

Can't wait to see this starting 5 next year.
Front court: Boldyreva & Scott
Back court: Gregory, Harrison at point, & Davis

Watched Savannah's game highlights produced from the Jackson Sun. While in high school the 3 point line registers from only the top of the key at 19.75 feet many of Davis' shots were easily from 22-25 feet out. Her shots seemed to go down naturally & without effort. Excellent range.

Can't wait to see this starting 5 next year.
Front court: Boldyreva & Scott
Back court: Gregory, Harrison at point, & Davis
Would like to see them try a lineup that has Boldyreva and Grabovskaia in there at the same time, particularly if one of them is reliable on the perimeter. I would say it shouldn't matter who the starting 5 is, that we should be 8-10 deep, but we know that won't happen

Would like to see them try a lineup that has Boldyreva and Grabovskaia in there at the same time, particularly if one of them is reliable on the perimeter. I would say it shouldn't matter who the starting 5 is, that we should be 8-10 deep, but we know that won't happen
Totally agree. Boldyreva while a great shot blocker is to me more of a finesse player. Grabovskaia would be a great compliment down low. She is physically stronger & more imposing on the blocks for rebounding. Nobody's getting the ball from her when she gets her hands on it. If given the opportunity they could be dynamic on the floor, & could give some of the power programs a run for the money come tournament action.

Coach Matt just put out some highlights of Savannah Davis scoring 28 points in a regional victory. Incredibly fast & smooth release off the dribble. Reminiscent of Wheeler's release, but possibly a little quicker. Looking forward to seeing her in blue. With hopefully a healthy Jada Harrison next year we can have 2 extremely impactful freshman in the '24-'25 season.

Coach Matt just put out some highlights of Savannah Davis scoring 28 points in a regional victory. Incredibly fast & smooth release off the dribble. Reminiscent of Wheeler's release, but possibly a little quicker. Looking forward to seeing her in blue. With hopefully a healthy Jada Harrison next year we can have 2 extremely impactful freshman in the '24-'25 season.
Very exciting. Hope she can come in and make an immediate impact. Sounds like just who we need to replace wheeler and, in combo with Jada, we’ll have a fantastic backcourt once again.

Reactions: MTFAN61
Noticed wbb coach at clemson is fired, wonder if Imari Berry from Clarksville is having 2nd thoughts in her commitment there
Saw her last week at state tournament and Clarksville, who was undefeated on the season, got absolutely killed by Bradley. Was not impressed with her court demeanor / attitude or for that matter her game. Maybe she had an off day but she missed a lot of shots.

Saw her last week at state tournament and Clarksville, who was undefeated on the season, got absolutely killed by Bradley. Was not impressed with her court demeanor / attitude or for that matter her game. Maybe she had an off day but she missed a lot of shots.
Entirely possible that it was an off day with the team getting crushed by Bradley. If she opens her commitment and the coaches feel she might be a fit, then worth a look at least.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT