ADVERTISEMENT

LADY RAIDER BB Middle Tennessee (20-4, 10-0) @ UTEP (9-14, 4-6) Sat. 02-17, 2 pm ESPN+

MTFAN61

All Conference
Gold Member
Aug 11, 2022
UTEP hosts Middle Tennessee after snapping a 3 game losing streak with a much needed home victory over WKU 73-68. Middle Tennessee comes in to Saturday's game off of an impressive 73-37 road victory over NMSU. The Lady Raiders used that victory for an impressive 5 team jump in the latest NET Rankings. MT saw its placement jump from #42 nationally to its highest seasonal ranking of #37. The Lady Raiders look to avenge a disappointing loss in El Paso last year. The Raiders are riding a 10 game winning streak behind impressive play & leadership from point guard Savannah Wheeler.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Our coaches would be very wise to remind our players that UTEP rallied from a 16 point half time deficit to defeat the Lady Toppers in their last game in El Paso. We can't afford any mental lapses at the end of the year.

This is gonna be a tough game but I think we are gonna come out absolutely on fire this afternoon. The ladies have certainly gotten the message about what we need to do to improve our at-large chances, just in case, and will be ready to play. I'm gonna say a final score of 80-58.

Not sure if there's been a time change. Just turned to ESPN+. It shows ladies game 3 pm instead of 2 pm. Can anyone verify the time change?

Whitson with the worst start to a game I've seen by her in a long time... 3 TOs, airballed 3s... Grabovskaia in for her to end the quarter and UTEP leads 15-11. Gotta get it together.

Whitson with the worst start to a game I've seen by her in a long time... 3 TOs, airballed 3s... Grabovskaia in for her to end the quarter and UTEP leads 15-11. Gotta get it together.
I know Coach loves her, but she's our weakest link. Allows her emotions to become too involved in a game. If she just stuck with rebounding we would be much better over all.

Was concerned about this game. We've played terribly down there recently, & it's gotten in their heads. Will be lucky to win this.

MT leads 23-20 at half

Team Comparison
STATISTICMTUTEP
FG%35%29%
FGs8-238-28
3FG%46%0%
3FGs6-130-4
FT%100%57%
FTs1-14-7
TOs83
PtsOffTO04
TotReb1819
DefReb1613
Off Reb26
2ndChPts04
BenchPts04
PtsPaint48
FstBkPt120
Blocks11
Steals14
Assts61
Times Tied:3
Time Tied:1:36
Lead Chg:3
LeadTime7:1311:05

Lucky to have the lead at halftime here. 23-20 after some clutch 3 point shooting late in the 2Q. The most frustrating part of this game is the 8 turnovers so far... almost all due to bad decisions, bad passes to the post. I just don't get throwing the same pass to the same spot when the UTEP post is fronting Boldyreva and stealing it every time. Baffling. Gotta expect the shooting to improve though from 35% in the first half.

#PlayerPTSFG3FGFTREBAPFTOMIN
2*BOLDYREVA,A52-71-20-0501119
4*WHEELER,S62-41-11-1332220
10*GREGORY,J62-62-50-0021220
15*SCOTT,T00-00-00-0101118
33*WHITSON,C62-52-40-0511219
0INEZA,S00-10-10-000002
55GRABOVSKAIA,I00-00-00-000002
TMTEAM,---400
TOTALS238-236-131-118668
GAME PCT34.846.2100.0

Boldyreva has missed about 5 open layups in this game. Entire team is discombobulated. Good news was only 1 TO that quarter. But you have to be able to hit your shots?? Like what the heck is going on with the wide open misses in this game, good lord

Starting to "pull away" now ... 49-41

(And these UTEP announcers keep saying "Un-sell" instead of Insell, driving me crazy)

Much closer than the final. Our usual stellar D but offense was off today. Bottom line, we win. Not our best performance but chalk it up, don't look back and full speed ahead.

Team Comparison
STATISTICMTUTEP
FG%40%33%
FGs19-4718-55
3FG%44%14%
3FGs11-251-7
FT%70%57%
FTs7-104-7
TOs109
PtsOffTO84
TotReb3336
DefReb2825
Off Reb511
2ndChPts46
BenchPts014
PtsPaint1420
FstBkPt182
Blocks51
Steals55
Assts114
Times Tied:8
Time Tied:4:31
Lead Chg:7
LeadTime21:1313:47

Starting to "pull away" now ... 49-41

(And these UTEP announcers keep saying "Un-sell" instead of Insell, driving me crazy)
The majority of folks mispronounce it. It's pronounced In-zell. I hear everyone at MT say Insul

Whew! Great finish. Listening to the pre-game interview with Matt I was very concerned. The way he was talking you would have thought we were getting ready to play at UCONN. When a coach has a demeanor like that early on I was automatically concerned it would carry over to the team & hurt our confidence. That's the way we played for 3 quarters, but love the resilient 4th quarter.
Now that we have that out of our system let's go take this thing!

Whew! Great finish. Listening to the pre-game interview with Matt I was very concerned. The way he was talking you would have thought we were getting ready to play at UCONN. When a coach has a demeanor like that early on I was automatically concerned it would carry over to the team & hurt our confidence. That's the way we played for 3 quarters, but love the resilient 4th quarter.
Now that we have that out of our system let's go take this thing!
The scout was clearly off for this one. Whitson should have been guarding Asinde the entire time, and for some reason that only happened in the 4Q (which is when we started pulling away... funny enough). Offense was a hot mess most of the game too, no passing in the post at the right time which was just strange to watch. Lots of lessons to learn for this one I think for team and coaches.

Reactions: MTFAN61
Tip of the hat to Whitson for the triples in the fourth. She may miss 10 in a row, but those back to back 3's were very badly needed. Also how many blocks does Scott have on the year now? She's may be our best athlete on the floor now.

How does everyone feel about college athletes on the basketball court using the John Cena "you can't see me" hand wave & taunt? On the MT women's twitter there is a video of one of our players copying Cena, Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese, etc. doing the same gesture after we came back & convincingly beat UTEP on the road.
I know the meaning is that I'm so good or so superior you can't even keep up with me. Meaning I'm so much faster & better than you that you can't see me.
In essence it's a more subtle form of shooting the bird at your opponent or their fans. I wish Clark had never started this in women's basketball last year. She somewhat got her just reward for that when Angel Reese returned the favor in last year's national championship game.
So ladies & men playing the game I say if you want to be an arrogant a-hole to your opponent when mocking them after a victory stop being so shy about it. Instead of the "John Cena hand wave" just do what you're really expressing, just be a total ass & shoot them & their fans "the bird". If one's apparently ok with the coaches so will the other.

That hand wave is actually a signal to play a specific defense most of the time (Clark, Reese, Cena, etc. have given it another meaning). The usual meaning is to play intense face-guard defense.

Well if we thought our game at UTEP was rough, look at #1 South Carolina vs 11-13 Georgia... 5 minutes to go in the 3Q and Georgia is winning 39-35. Yikes!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT