ADVERTISEMENT

Roster/Recruiting Concerns

Middle Mike

True Blue
Dec 14, 2010
In looking at the way things appear to be playing out for signing day, I have a couple comments/concerns:

Nice to see the defensive backfield addressed. However, I am concerned to not see more action at the linebacker and defensive tackle positions.

Someone mentioned this the other day, but four tackles will graduate in two years. (Bennett, Felton, Huff & McBride will all be juniors!) Patrick Stewart is the only guy at the position behind them on the roster.

This coming year we graduate six linebackers (Barber, Luckett, Roberson, Wafford, Watt, & Wells). Luckett, & Wafford both have a redshirt remaining, but it doesn't seem likely that one of them would sit based on playing time from last year. (Barber does too, but there is no way he sits!)

The staff will have another year to address DT, but unless a couple more guys come in under the radar in the next couple days the LB position will be very lean next year. We'll likely lose all 3 three starters, and each of their primary back-ups as well. (Will only have Harges, Harris, Sanders and Stewart remaining.)

Seems like situations pop up like this every year or two. Sure its hard to avoid, but you'd think that more attention would be paid to avoiding it.

I've thought many of the same things.

Where is the 2016 linebacker depth coming from?

If we can't manage to RS a DT this year, then our entire DT depth chart in 2017 is Patrick Stewart and Manciel plus any high schoolers (counting on High schoolers at DT is a bad idea) or JUCO's we sign (does any JUCO position have more busts than DT? - if you're a JUCO DT with a pulse and a bit of ability, you're getting P5 offers).

There's a lot of talent in the class, but the balance is strange.

That said, we don't always have the best or most up to date info - who's leaving, who's hurt, who's bulked up in the weight room, etc.

Originally posted by MTsumner92:
What about Skins at DT. Upcoming Sophomore?
You mean Akins, the transfer from GT?

I'm always a little skeptical about transfers or walkons until they actually see the field.

This guy RS at GT, then sat out a year last year. It'll be two years since he actually played a down of football.

If he can play, that will help out quite a bit going forward.

This post was edited on 2/2 11:08 AM by RaiderDoug

Shame on him for slipping past you! That was very sneaky.

I hope he turns out to be a good one as well. The coaches must think highly of him because it seems that DT has not been a priority to them in this recruiting class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT