ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL remember David Simmons?

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
juco kid who saw a little time during kermit's last season who was off the team (reportedly for not going to class) by the time the team went to Louisville for the final game in that short NIT run. He transferred to Southern Indiana, he's now transferred, again, to Campbellsville.

Its a sad situation. He is going to have all these years of free college and most likely will not have a degree. I hope for himself and his future family he gets his butt in gear from an academic perspective.

If you're an athlete, now-a-days all you have to do is show up and you'll pass. It's not difficult at all.

I think that under John Merritt, TSU football players didn't go to class at all. The guys would work a job and practice/play football.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I think that under John Merritt, TSU football players didn't go to class at all. The guys would work a job and practice/play football.

I'm old enough to remember AD Bubber Murphy absolutely livid that tsu, going into a game (I think Ben Hurt was still coach) with Middle Tennessee at the beginning of the season, was going to play a freshman who didn't even graduate high school, based on a GED. Penalty was going to be foregoing tv revenue. Merritt, IIRC, shrugged his shoulders, played the kid, and Murphy said we would never play tsu again as a result. It wasn't until a few years into Boots' tenure that MT would begin to play tsu again.

IIRC, the player was Larry Kinnebrew, who played several years in the NFL later, and in the 90's faced trial for rape.

Its a sad situation. He is going to have all these years of free college and most likely will not have a degree. I hope for himself and his future family he gets his butt in gear from an academic perspective.

According to article I found, Simmons should graduate from campbellsville in December. Said he wants to pursue an overseas pro career and then coaching.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT