ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Q&A with Defensive Coordinator Scott Shafer ahead of Spring Practice

Are they going to actually do a spring game? We’re really missing an opportunity by not doing that.

Reactions: TrueBlueFB_23
I've always said it should be an event. Inflatables for the kids. How about cooking hamburgers and hotdogs and letting fans have a picnic on the field? Beer tasting for all the special brews they had last year at home games. Absolutely throw a night baseball game in there. Make it an event. Signings with the players and equipment giveaways or BRAA raffle for jerseys etc. @ldeleon5 Are the wheels turning there at the Murph for some fun? Planning begun?

Reactions: ewglenn
I've always said it should be an event. Inflatables for the kids. How about cooking hamburgers and hotdogs and letting fans have a picnic on the field? Beer tasting for all the special brews they had last year at home games. Absolutely throw a night baseball game in there. Make it an event. Signings with the players and equipment giveaways or BRAA raffle for jerseys etc. @ldeleon5 Are the wheels turning there at the Murph for some fun? Planning begun?
Great idea. Maybe you should work for the athletic dept. Really these things aren’t rocket science. I just don’t get us not even trying.

On the flip side, there might be some fear that attendance would be so low it would be an embarrassment. Market it right and invite all the local school kids out and it would be a good turnout. Setup pickup locations around town in case people don’t want to drive. Do a sign up in advance and cancel routes with low attendance. Again, just try and get some future fans. Sell ticket packages at the spring game. Lots you could do.

Just as you said, market it right and people will come. Free food does wonders.

We have a great relationship with the schools as shown with their games at the start of basketball season. Work with the schools and have Lightning come visit the kids. Bring free tickets to the students with a QR code or easy cheap way for adult tickets. Then do a promotion for a home game in the fall for those that attend the spring game. Give them a reason to come back.

I've said for years there is zero reason a school with 20k students, in a town of over 100k, in a metro area of over 1m, can't get 15-20k to a game in a 30k seat stadium. Yes the on field product affects it, but even WVU in a losing season with a coach the state is ready to throw out averaged 48k in a 60k seat stadium. Argue things to do vs P5 vs UT all you want. There still is no reason it can't become an event in the Boro.

Spring game can and should be the springboard so to speak to the fall season.

Reactions: TrueBlueFB_23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT