ADVERTISEMENT

Portal

Hearing news that Lawrence, Millen and Fussell are going in the portal.
Hate to see Lawrence go. Talented young man. He could likely scale up. Maybe he'll find a greener $ pasture somewhere else his final year. Understandable if the other 2 desire more playing time, could probably seek out opportunities at smaller schools like the ASUN or OVC.

If you had asked me who is the one person definitely hitting the portal at end of season, I would have guessed Lenard Jr.

I think there is no chance Millin, Fussell, and Smith stat. I hope there is still a chance Eli stays. He has been through it all here and it would be nice to see him in the NCAA Tournament for us.

I think there is no chance Millin, Fussell, and Smith stat. I hope there is still a chance Eli stays. He has been through it all here and it would be nice to see him in the NCAA Tournament for us.
Agree, not many places he can go and start for a team that has a legitimate chance at a championship next year, the others are doing us a favor by allowing us to get better.

Makes little sense about Lawrence. Bufford, Coleman-Jones, Weston, Lenard Jr, Porter, & King with just the right added mix could be an outstanding team. Could only imagine a 1-2 more quality bigs mixed in with a couple nice guards. This team is not that far from having the makings of our best team since Upshaw & Potts.

Makes little sense about Lawrence. Bufford, Coleman-Jones, Weston, Lenard Jr, Porter, & King with just the right added mix could be an outstanding team. Could only imagine a 1-2 more quality bigs mixed in with a couple nice guards. This team is not that far from having the makings of our best team since Upshaw & Potts.
You said the key word right there. Bigs. We need that desperately.

I’ve seen enough.
Eli gone, T gone. It’s only a matter of time before Cam and the rest follow.
Buy out McDevitt.
If it’s going to be a complete rebuild then do it with a new coach. I’m not watching 15 wins combined over three years again.
I think having multiple players in the portal is something everyone is going to have to get used to. Might not happen every year, but it will happen often in this climate no matter who the coach is.

It’s time to start over. House clean.

I want to know where these guys think they are going to play....they can't win more than 19 here...where are they going and who is blowing smoke up their butts for greener pastures?"

Wasn’t this a noticeable problem with Nick over at UNC-A?

“Foundations are gone…sorry”

Last edited:
Reactions: coachchia
Dang....T hurts.

Someone needs to have a direct conversation with these guys that pastures are likely not greener. Have we ever seen a kid leave and excel somewhere else?

Let's see who we get and how they do before going off the deep end.

We can do better than a player who's ceiling is second team all conference, and a player just as likely to get a technical than double figure scoring. Millen, Fussell, Smith defections are almost not noticeable and an opportunity to get better. It's not like we we lost any thing from those three who's contributions were neglible at the worst.

Portal gives and the portal taketh away.

Last edited:
T had tons of potential but did he really contribute that much? He was way too inconsistent and, as Space said, more likely to get a technical than really help you win a game.

Let's see who we get and how they do before going off the deep end.

We can do better than a player who's ceiling is second team all conference, and a player just as likely to get a technical than double figure scoring. Millen, Fussell, Smith defections are almost not noticeable and an opportunity to get better. It's not like we we lost any thing from those three who's contributions were neglible at the worst.

Portal gives and the portal taketh away.

This is true, but what we’re seeing actually starts with T, because CNM isn't developing anyone. It's an easy sell from a poaching staff. NBA talent on the court never was the top player on his own team. So, it's easy to target him by saying you're not getting the instruction you need. Come here and we'll not only develop you into an elite college player here' we'll make you a first round pick.

And then to the others. That staff can't even maximize the most out of NBA talent like that Lenard fella or those other high three and four stars. Come here, we'll get you the instruction and development you aren't getting now, and get you on the path to play pro ball somewhere.

Nick has proven he can't develop so he's going to need to rely heavily on already developed players in the portal - if he can get them.

Reactions: BigBlueBrad
Developing is a lot more on the player than what you are making it. Elias is a guy known around the program that gets shots up at 6 am, and his growth is apparent the last three years. Not gonna put anything else on here about other players but you can read between the lines.

As far as the five guys in the portal right now…

Three of them are not C-USA championship impact players in my opinion. Only guy I might have liked seeing develop further was Smith, but I’ve never been that invested in him given he’s a JC player that could never stay on the court. Not sure anyone should really be fretting over any of their departures.

EL and TL… yea they are good players. I wish they would’ve stayed in Murfreesboro. But when the idea of the transfer portal was presented to me, I understood MTSU, as well as hundreds of programs around the country, was going to lose good players to the portal a regular basis. If you didn’t realize that, idk what to tell you. I was honestly surprised no one transferred last year.

I am not assuming anyone else is leaving. If one of Cam, Buff, King, Porter, or JCJ do leave, I’ll start to get concerned. But retaining four of the top six in minutes played that are eligible to return is not this nightmare scenario that some are making it.

Josh Jefferson was CNMs first commitment from the portal at Middle, and the impact he had his lone season is greater than any of the departing five imo. The staff knows they have to go get good players out of the portal, and there’s already 500+ in the portal less than five days after conference play. Like Space said, let’s see how they retool before panicking.

Last edited:
Nobody is gonna give Leonard or Lawrence much NIL money. They were good defensive players but neither was a threat to score. I don'tsee them going to a program much better than us. I do wish they would stay but it's not like they are irreplaceable. The other three didn't contribute much which gives an opportunity to upgrade in their spots. I hate the transfer rules but I guess were going to have to get use to it.

If Nick has another 5 win season next year I may have to go back to cheering for a 6-6 football season.

Nobody is gonna give Leonard or Lawrence much NIL money. They were good defensive players but neither was a threat to score. I don'tsee them going to a program much better than us. I do wish they would stay but it's not like they are irreplaceable. The other three didn't contribute much which gives an opportunity to upgrade in their spots. I hate the transfer rules but I guess were going to have to get use to it.
Neither was a threat to score? One of them was our leading scorer. I hate Eli is leaving mainly because I really like him as a person and player. Doesn’t matter if he is replaceable as I have watched him play for 4 years and I would like for him to reach all his goals here. I also don’t understand how you can say Nick can’t develop talent when we see the improvement of Elias as someone said. The player has to put in the work or it doesn’t matter what the coach does.

The NCAA needs to re institute sitting out athletically one season when you transfer. It's destroying athletics and it's destroying the kids as well. We owe to look out for them and keep the education an important part of the transfer as well.

If you want to transfer fine, but you need to sit out one year athletically and focus on getting your education settled out as well. Right now it's too easy to bounce around thinking it will be better with sports and then kids will probably never graduate. This is the way to make them slow down and really think out there decisions and keep academics in mind as well.

Reactions: MTTim and Hop45
compiled by a wku fan and posted on the cusa message board:

FIU
Transfers:

Additions:

Jacksonville State
Transfers:
Camron McDowell
J.J. Platt

Additions:

La Tech
Transfers:
Cobe Williams - Tulsa
Keaston Willis - Tulsa
Kenny Hunter
Kaleb Stewart
LaDamien Bradford
Quandre Bullock
Terran Williams

Additions:

Liberty
Transfers:
D.J. Moore

Additions:

MTSU
Transfers:
Tyler Millin
TreVon Smith
Teafale Lenard, Jr.
Eli Lawrence
Christian Fussell

Additions:

New Mexico State
Transfers:
Shahar Lazar
Shakiru Odunewu
Doctor Bradley
Jaden Alexander
Issa Muhammad
Deshwandre Washington
Kyle Feit

Additions:
James Beck - Miami (OH)

Sam Houston St
Transfers:

Additions:

UTEP
Transfers:

Additions:
Elijah Jones - ECU

WKU
Transfers:
Jordan Rawls

Additions:

The NCAA needs to re institute sitting out athletically one season when you transfer. It's destroying athletics and it's destroying the kids as well. We owe to look out for them and keep the education an important part of the transfer as well.

If you want to transfer fine, but you need to sit out one year athletically and focus on getting your education settled out as well. Right now it's too easy to bounce around thinking it will be better with sports and then kids will probably never graduate. This is the way to make them slow down and really think out there decisions and keep academics in mind as well.
I disagree, there needs to be change but I don’t think someone should sit out for transferring. My suggestion would be allowing a one time transfer without sitting out. Once that is used then you have to sit out a year. That would allow a lot of smaller programs to recruit the portal and actually build a roster. It’s hard to maintain anything right now because it’s the Wild West. Are some players going to still take advantage of the one time transfer to move up to a bigger program? Yes, but we will be able to get players moving that wouldn’t be able to do that again so easily and would need to think before hitting the portal.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
A great deal of pride was taken last year when MT did not have a single portal transfer to occur. We thought of it as loyalty to coach McDevitt or maybe to the team's unity towards each other. However, with Dishman coming back this past year I'm starting to think the team's zero transfer staus was because of loyalty specifically towards him. Now that Dish is gone everyone is hitting the portal.

I disagree, there needs to be change but I don’t think someone should sit out for transferring. My suggestion would be allowing a one time transfer without sitting out. Once that is used then you have to sit out a year. That would allow a lot of smaller programs to recruit the portal and actually build a roster. It’s hard to maintain anything right now because it’s the Wild West. Are some players going to still take advantage of the one time transfer to move up to a bigger program? Yes, but we will be able to get players moving that wouldn’t be able to do that again so easily and would need to think before hitting the portal.
This is my exact thought. One free. Not counting grad transfers of course. I see nothing wrong with that.

But there are legitimate reasons to transfer just as non-athletes do. Major changes, family changes/responsibility, just wanting to be closer to home, etc. But as an athlete you have added responsibilities to your teammates and also should respect the investment the school made in you and your physical/mental well being as an athlete. Therefore I think one free without sitting is fine. After that unless you are transferring for grad school, you sit out.

Reactions: ewglenn
I would support a one time transfer without penalty, but after that I agree any additional transfers should institute a 1 year penalty clause annually. Some degree of academic integrity needs to be maintained. To allow someone the opportunity to transfer 3-4 times during their career without a degree of oversight is wrong. Allowing that many transfers is saying academics in academic institution
are meaningless, that these young people are nothing more than temporary semi-professional athletes. And that money & entertainment over rule academic integrity. Unfortunately in these times there's a lot of truth to that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT