ADVERTISEMENT

LADY RAIDER BB Grabovskaia goes to the portal

Noooo!! Hope we can convince her to stay. Though maybe this means we have someone new coming in...?

Disappointed, she had made leaps and bounds towards the end of the season.

I wonder what's behind it?
I speculate Grannum’s versatility she showed in Baton Rouge may have earned her some PT this upcoming. Probably a reach considering that’s just one game.

May also mean something else is brewing in the portal that would limit her PT.

Disappointing, thought she was happy here. The feelings we are experiencing about Iullia's decision is now the same as what dozens of other school fan bases are currently going through. I concur with the above possibility. There's probable word of post talent headed this way, & she's likely concerned for playing time next year.

Remember a comment she made in a postgame show when she said she was going to spend Christmas with a former coach in Boca Raton. Would not be surprised to see her at FAU……..

Remember a comment she made in a postgame show when she said she was going to spend Christmas with a former coach in Boca Raton. Would not be surprised to see her at FAU……..
I remember her saying something to that extent now that you mention it. My take away from that interview was that her favorite American food was hamburgers (in the thickest Russian accent you’ve ever heard).

The logistics make that pipeline realistic — FAU currently with 6 players in the portal and the majority of the staff is from the UT/Kellie Harper coaching tree.

Because she is an international player, NIL didn’t factor into this decision. Still difficult, but this one was not due to that factor at least.

Because she is an international player, NIL didn’t factor into this decision. Still difficult, but this one was not due to that factor at least.

Not saying it’s relevant here, but there is a way to get NIL money to international athletes. As long as it’s passive income (e.g., image licensing on billboards or athletes for the upcoming EA football) then international students can get NIL money without violating their visa.

Read an article about Penn State getting NIL money to Canadian athletes by putting their image on billboards in their home town to get around the visa restrictions.

Not saying it’s relevant here, but there is a way to get NIL money to international athletes. As long as it’s passive income (e.g., image licensing on billboards or athletes for the upcoming EA football) then international students can get NIL money without violating their visa.

Read an article about Penn State getting NIL money to Canadian athletes by putting their image on billboards in their home town to get around the visa restrictions.
Yeah they can make money but can't tap into the massive American market they play in

I would think she wants to be a starter somewhere. Her playing time was not going up here. I could she her averaging 15 pts and 12 or 13 rebounds a game somewhere.

Reactions: tyler90wm
I would think she wants to be a starter somewhere. Her playing time was not going up here. I could she her averaging 15 pts and 12 or 13 rebounds a game somewhere.

When I first saw this, I was thinking dang, that's a loss for sure as it's nice to have a player like her relieve Nas, but, as I thought about it more and how well she was playing towards the end of the season, I came to the same conclusion. She could easily be a starter at other schools, so good luck to her, I'm appreciative of the time she was here.

When I first saw this, I was thinking dang, that's a loss for sure as it's nice to have a player like her relieve Nas, but, as I thought about it more and how well she was playing towards the end of the season, I came to the same conclusion. She could easily be a starter at other schools, so good luck to her, I'm appreciative of the time she was here.
Understandable for sure. She has the opportunity to make a name for herself somewhere, we've got Nas basically the face of the team for the upcoming year.

In closing about Iullia. Too bad she doesn't have the full vision to see her future here. It's not like she would have zero playing time next season. Probably would still have averaged 8+ minutes/game with her abilities. On top of that would likely get 35 minutes/game as starter her senior year. And on top of that to be on a perennial championship team averaging close to 30 wins per year with ncaa victory opportunities.
Now if what was listed above is correct to throw those opportunities away to start on an 11-19 FAU squad seems naive & silly. Plus if the men are getting NIL money on a 300 net ranking basketball team, I think it only has to be a matter of time we get something going on the NIL front for out ladies.
And one last consideration, MT could average 4,500 fans/game at home next year. What a nice charge of exhilaration for any Lady Raider on the floor or bench. Does Iullia really think she's going to get that same thrill in front of 300 fans at wherever she's going next?
Of course as an old man I can look back on plenty of mistakes in my youth, but you still hate to see someone with nice potential turn away from looking a gift such as MT in the face.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
In closing about Iullia. Too bad she doesn't have the full vision to see her future here. It's not like she would have zero playing time next season. Probably would still have averaged 8+ minutes/game with her abilities. On top of that would likely get 35 minutes/game as starter her senior year. And on top of that to be on a perennial championship team averaging close to 30 wins per year with ncaa victory opportunities.
Now if what was listed above is correct to throw those opportunities away to start on an 11-19 FAU squad seems naive & silly. Plus if the men are getting NIL money on a 300 net ranking basketball team, I think it only has to be a matter of time we get something going on the NIL front for out ladies.
And one last consideration, MT could average 4,500 fans/game at home next year. What a nice charge of exhilaration for any Lady Raider on the floor or bench. Does Iullia really think she's going to get that same thrill in front of 300 fans at wherever she's going next?
Of course as an old man I can look back on plenty of mistakes in my youth, but you still hate to see someone with nice potential turn away from looking a gift such as MT in the face.
Looking at it from her side, if she stays she will only have 1 year to really make her mark at MT, somewhere else it will be 2. Also, international students don't benefit from NIL so even if WBB had a deal in place, half our team wouldn't be able to take advantage

FWIW, I agree with everything you said, I'm not sure why you sign with MT in the first place, it's not like she didn't know her path to playing time was going to be hindered with Boldyreva.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT