ADVERTISEMENT

Portal

💯 Long gone are the days or working your butt off, moving up the depth chart and earning your scholarship.
This is exactly why guys from my time will never give to any NIL initiative. The hours we put in for the love of the game and the opportunity to play for free college, room and board was enough. Kids these days practice half the hours we did and I have first hand knowledge of a few who even reported their coaches for going an hour over the weekly maximum allowed by the NCAA. And they want to be paid like professionals.

“Bullxxxx!”

This is exactly why guys from my time will never give to any NIL initiative. The hours we put in for the love of the game and the opportunity to play for free college, room and board was enough. Kids these days practice half the hours we did and I have first hand knowledge of a few who even reported their coaches for going an hour over the weekly maximum allowed by the NCAA. And they want to be paid like professionals.

“Bullxxxx!”

That’s sad and just further reinforces my pessimistic view of college sports and the future for college sports. Money has ruined so many things, and college sports appears to be next on its list. I absolutely cannot stand the current state of affairs with pay for play and the transfer portal. So many of them are entitled sissies that are very fortunate to be coming of age in such a soft time period. They wouldn’t last one week back when we grew up.

Unfortunately, nobody is going to care what people like you and I say or believe though. And we are then faced with an impossible choice….

Get in line and donate/support, or watch your alma mater fall behind and become irrelevant.

I’ve chosen the latter, unfortunately. And it’s mostly due to my disdain for college athletics as a whole, not just for MT, though McPhee sure makes it easier.

One thing most 19 year olds don't know until it's too late, not every treasure hunter finds treasure.

Former QB commit Colandrea getting action vs TN due to injury.

Is the rule, the first transfer you can play immediately, but the second time you transfer you have to sit out a year? Grads can play right away?

If that's the rule, I would be recruiting the portal VERY hard knowing kids probably don't want to sit out a full year if they don't like your school.

Is the rule, the first transfer you can play immediately, but the second time you transfer you have to sit out a year? Grads can play right away?

If that's the rule, I would be recruiting the portal VERY hard knowing kids probably don't want to sit out a full year if they don't like your school.
Yes that is the rule

It would be a weird strategy, but in theory I would think we could get better talent by not recruiting as many high school kids, but focusing on portal kids that never really got a shot at a big program. I would imagine a 2nd/3rd string QB at Florida that transfers out for playing time would be better than any QB we could get straight from high school. Furthermore if they do well here straight out of high school they are more likely to transfer out using their one time ransfer waiver.

It would be a weird strategy, but in theory I would think we could get better talent by not recruiting as many high school kids, but focusing on portal kids that never really got a shot at a big program. I would imagine a 2nd/3rd string QB at Florida that transfers out for playing time would be better than any QB we could get straight from high school. Furthermore if they do well here straight out of high school they are more likely to transfer out using their one time ransfer waiver.

I would agree but position dependent. I think our QB1 could play just about anywhere. And maybe our QB2 but we don’t know enough there yet.

Seems like a lot of people forgot how well Nick played after that first start as a true FR. Y’all already know I’m ver high on this guy if he can be kept upright.

I absolutely believe we can get better at the OL recruiting out of the portal. We have flopped there a lot. Bottom line is - like Primtine has demonstrated- you can make a roster out of the portal. But Stock is too old school. He doesn’t get it. So we’ll rank 8th in recruiting behind three FCS schools in the league that just moved up.

I would agree but position dependent. I think our QB1 could play just about anywhere. And maybe our QB2 but we don’t know enough there yet.

Seems like a lot of people forgot how well Nick played after that first start as a true FR. Y’all already know I’m ver high on this guy if he can be kept upright.

I absolutely believe we can get better at the OL recruiting out of the portal. We have flopped there a lot. Bottom line is - like Primtine has demonstrated- you can make a roster out of the portal. But Stock is too old school. He doesn’t get it. So we’ll rank 8th in recruiting behind three FCS schools in the league that just moved up.
I am also a believer in Nick. We just need to keep him up. I’ve said for awhile we should be mostly recruiting the portal. Sprinkle in a few high schoolers and great.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT