ADVERTISEMENT

Portal

That's already been put into place. The NCAA voted in January to one freebie transfer and then it's evaluated on a case-by-case basis after that. The criteria are based on things like a serious physical injury or other health issues and exigent circumstances (such as a sexual assault). Playing time or wanting to be closer to mommy is no longer eligible. Those people can transfer but will have to sit out a year the second time around.

Neither was a threat to score? One of them was our leading scorer. I hate Eli is leaving mainly because I really like him as a person and player. Doesn’t matter if he is replaceable as I have watched him play for 4 years and I would like for him to reach all his goals here. I also don’t understand how you can say Nick can’t develop talent when we see the improvement of Elias as someone said. The player has to put in the work or it doesn’t matter what the coach does.

Lawrence averaged what 10 or 12 points a game? Most people wouldn't say that a person that averaged that much was a scoring threat. Leonard averaged less than that. Also, I said that I liked Lawrence and Leonard and I wish they weren't transferring. They are good defenders and like you I like to see consistency and continuity with the team. Lastly. I never said a word about McDevitt developing or not developing players. You must have me confused with someone else.

Lawrence averaged what 10 or 12 points a game? Most people wouldn't say that a person that averaged that much was a scoring threat. Leonard averaged less than that. Also, I said that I liked Lawrence and Leonard and I wish they weren't transferring. They are good defenders and like you I like to see consistency and continuity with the team. Lastly. I never said a word about McDevitt developing or not developing players. You must have me confused with someone else.
I was just responding to people on the board about the not developing. That part wasn’t meant for you.

That's already been put into place. The NCAA voted in January to one freebie transfer and then it's evaluated on a case-by-case basis after that. The criteria are based on things like a serious physical injury or other health issues and exigent circumstances (such as a sexual assault). Playing time or wanting to be closer to mommy is no longer eligible. Those people can transfer but will have to sit out a year the second time around.
I knew it was being talked about but I hadn’t heard it was approved. Good info.

One thing that the portal will provide to many student athletes will be real world experience. This will represent for many of these students their 1st steps in realizing university life is not real world life after all. Unfortunately for many this real world experience will be a sad one.
If I'm a P5 school do I want a kid from the portal that averaged 7-10 points a game at a mid-major school, or traditionally another mid-major guy who averaged 18+ & shot 39% from 3? Odds are the higher your stats, the higher your interest. And there's going to be a lot of players out there who averaged better than 12 points a game. In the real world a strong resume always helps. No one on MT's team really excelled on the court this past year, but like many people the lure of the lottery prize is just too strong. Why would you think you can score 18 points a game in the ACC or SEC earning $100k+ in NIL when you barely could average double digits here? For some the answer was they weren't thinking, only wishing.
On Chip's podcast interview he said last year over 700 student athletes were not selected from the portal & lost their positions, & much of this was because of terrible guidance by those they trusted. Those numbers are expected to be even higher this year.
I'm not saying all of MT's players won't make it, but odds are one or more of those young men may have thrown away a great opportunity while getting lost in the shuffle of the transfer portal.
That's the sad feature of the portal, & it's certainly one we won't hear the NCAA talking about now or in the future.

So currently the MTSU rosters stands as…

Guards: Weston, Porter, Jordan, Green

Wings/forwards: Bufford, King, Mosley

Bigs: Coleman-Jones, Loofe

Imo, guard is by far the position most needed to be addressed, despite having the most depth there. It’s a guards game, and the 3-guard rotation of Jefferson, Sims, and Weston was the biggest factor behind CNMs best season in Murfreesboro so far. I think Weston and Porter are good enough, but tough to imagine Jordan immediately bounces back to good form after two ACL tears, and Green is still mystery box after only playing 31 mins all season.

I think there’s an option out there that Eli Lawrence could come back. Obviously he started at the 2 all season last year, but I prefer him much more as a 3. Love him, but just don’t think there are enough ball skills there to really facilitate the offense.

I’m comfortable with the wing situation, even without Lawrence. Depth is needed, probably more so at PF, but don’t think they need anything special.

Center is a little concerning. JCJ is a great kid with a great attitude, i was pleased with his growth last year coming off injury, but I’m still a little nervous he is ready for a starting role. Loofe has cool tools but his level of capable contribution is a complete unknown. Think one more dude of their pedigree is needed in that room, but they don’t need a star there imo.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Here are a couple guys I’d try to get:

Makhel Mitchell from Arkansas
Raequan Battle from Montana St
Alexis Yetna from Seton Hall
Zion Styles from Maryland- Eastern Shore

No disrespect to Jordan, but it's hard to imagine he would put his body & leg thru the possible strain of another enduring off-season injury. Certainly respect his dedication to the team though.
Question I have is are there other scholarship alternatives for someone who has had a severe sports injury that wants to finish his or her degree, but could free up an athletic scholarship for someone capable of playing?
It's not beyond reason to presume there's a good chance he could injure that same knee for the 3rd consecutive year. My understanding was each of his last 2 injuries were basically the same, & to the same knee. If I'm wrong about that would appreciate the clarification. Would be nice if he could complete his education without having to exploit his body in return.

Haha should’ve added a caption. Mainly just wanted to point out the type of player Belmont was capable of acquiring, and think our standards should be similar.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
There should be a transfer portal time frame for player accommodations addendum, if it's not already I'm place.
If a player elects to join the portal that means they have already found new off campus accommodations & will agree to move from their present location & at their own cost within 30 days, period.
If player rescinds within 30 days no harm no foul. After that it's on the player to find new lodgings if still in portal, & still waiting to be selected by another school.

There should be a transfer portal time frame for player accommodations addendum, if it's not already I'm place.
If a player elects to join the portal that means they have already found new off campus accommodations & will agree to move from their present location & at their own cost within 30 days, period.
If player rescinds within 30 days no harm no foul. After that it's on the player to find new lodgings if still in portal, & still waiting to be selected by another school.
No way they would enact or enforce a punitive clause like this.. this sounds salty as hell

Recently reviewed the transfer portal time frame. Saw that the university can pull player scholarship after 1 semester of athlete entering the portal. Being a 15-17 week window for a now 1 time transfer seems fair enough. Originally I thought the portal time frame cumulatively covered both fall & spring semesters.

Stewart around 6' 3" 250. Good defensive end size, & comes from excellent high school program

What do you mean?
Lots of Jr./Sr. depth at corner and safety for Memphis. He decommitted once before and “re-committed” to Memphis when his P5 “offers” didn’t come through during his HS recruitment.
Maybe he’ll get more playing time at MT and in CUSA. He was redshirted last season.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard if other than Lenard Jr any of MT's former basketball players have found a new home yet? Personally I thought Lawrence was our most talented play maker & would have found a portal destination by now.

Eli Lawrence to TX A&M. My bro in law is an Aggie and he just texted me.

Has anyone heard if other than Lenard Jr any of MT's former basketball players have found a new home yet? Personally I thought Lawrence was our most talented play maker & would have found a portal destination by now.
I have a feeling the others are going to be in for a rude awakening. The grass isn’t always greener. I expect none will be removing their names from the portal because, that last scholarship, I’m sure Nick has someone in mind

Reactions: MTFAN61
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT