ADVERTISEMENT

Portal

I have a feeling the others are going to be in for a rude awakening. The grass isn’t always greener. I expect none will be removing their names from the portal because, that last scholarship, I’m sure Nick has someone in mind
Agreed. With one last scholarship available coach will be likely looking for the icing on the cake for what is appearing to be a nice recruiting class. Hope that what the fans are wanting with this final pick coincides with what CNM & staff are going after.
I admit when 6 players departed for the portal led by Lawrence & Lenard I was very apprehensive about this fall, but with the new commitments & still 1 more available pick up to go actually looking very forward to see how this team develops next year. Our size has me very intrigued for the future. And you have to appreciate the high energy the staff has been hitting the recruiting trail with. From what I've read some schools with similar losses have signed only 1 so far.

Was reading up on NLI (National letter of Intent) basketball signing period for 2023-2024. It states the current signing period for athletes is 04/12/2023 - 5/17/2023. Is this just for high school seniors? Or does it also include junior college & transfer portal players as well?
If it is inclusive for all 3 I imagine we should see something pop up concerning our last available scholarship in the next couple of days at goblueraiders.com. Appreciate any feedback for those better schooled on the NLI ending signing period.

I would assume that is the NLI for all, but if somebody decided to sign or transfer after that they could but are not required to make the decision final until they have enrolled/attended their first class. At least that's what I believe it use to be until the college athletics world went crazy.

Reactions: MTFAN61
That window is for all athletes. A lot of athletes are waiting for NIL deals and will wait it out. I fully expect our last scholarship to be filled after that deadline since they aren’t likely getting NIL money from MT.

That window is for all athletes. A lot of athletes are waiting for NIL deals and will wait it out. I fully expect our last scholarship to be filled after that deadline since they aren’t likely getting NIL money from MT.
Ok, thanks for clarification

Excellent size at 6' 4". Georgia St struggled last year with only 10 wins with Moore being their leading scorer. Since he didn't get an NIL deal it looks like he wants to go out with a contender in his 4th year. While Duquesne only recorded 6 wins 2 years ago, last year they finished 20-13. A nice improvement.
I think it will come down between MT & GCU. GCU averaged 24 wins over the last 2 years in the WAC. One possible benefit for MT is his home town is Little Rock. Better chance for his family to watch him play. We'll probably know in the next couple weeks.

Reactions: ewglenn
Thought he claimed he was visiting GCU & MT. Did he drop his decision to visit here after visiting GCU?

After reviewing GA State's roster & career stat reports I'm not too terribly disappointed in his team selection. That 14 ppg stat is somewhat misleading. His freshman year he averaged 4 ppg, fair enough. However his sophomore production was only 1.8 ppg. Moore's junior year he was out the 1st 18 games with a thumb injury. He did come back to avg 14 ppg his final 13 games that year. However in those final 13 games he played Georgia State went only 1-12 on a very weak squad with a weak supporting cast. This is speculative, but the coaching staff may have received a bit of a gift from GCU. Still could be a diamond in the rough high schooler, or a possible guard or two still available in the portal with a better resume than what was listed above.

After reviewing GA State's roster & career stat reports I'm not too terribly disappointed in his team selection. That 14 ppg stat is somewhat misleading. His freshman year he averaged 4 ppg, fair enough. However his sophomore production was only 1.8 ppg. Moore's junior year he was out the 1st 18 games with a thumb injury. He did come back to avg 14 ppg his final 13 games that year. However in those final 13 games he played Georgia State went only 1-12 on a very weak squad with a weak supporting cast. This is speculative, but the coaching staff may have received a bit of a gift from GCU. Still could be a diamond in the rough high schooler, or a possible guard or two still available in the portal with a better resume than what was listed above.
Yeah I started to think that too after diving into his stats

Reactions: MTFAN61
I thought the same when I read Josh Jefferson’s Green Bay stats a few years ago: they were 8-17 the prior year and he shot <40% from the field (granted over 67% of his shots were from 3 so that can mislead the overall %). I think we’re just not a program that is going to get productive players from successful prior year teams. Yea Georgia State wasn’t good but the Sun Belt is a lot better than say Horizon (where Jefferson played) or the SWAC (where Ty Mosley played last year).

I’m def bummed personally. I think there’s a clear void for a pure scorer at the guard spot (unless Nick wants to decide to start playing Porter with Weston). Glad the staff has recognized the void but my gut feeling (zero sourcing) is they get a JuCo kid. Which is fine, but a Sun Belt player who has (albeit brief) experience in putting the ball in the basket is more ideal lol.

I do hope they don’t settle and keep looking. You can pencil Weston and King to be two of the top three scorers next year, but still feels like that third guy is missing.

I thought the same when I read Josh Jefferson’s Green Bay stats a few years ago: they were 8-17 the prior year and he shot <40% from the field (granted over 67% of his shots were from 3 so that can mislead the overall %). I think we’re just not a program that is going to get productive players from successful prior year teams. Yea Georgia State wasn’t good but the Sun Belt is a lot better than say Horizon (where Jefferson played) or the SWAC (where Ty Mosley played last year).

I’m def bummed personally. I think there’s a clear void for a pure scorer at the guard spot (unless Nick wants to decide to start playing Porter with Weston). Glad the staff has recognized the void but my gut feeling (zero sourcing) is they get a JuCo kid. Which is fine, but a Sun Belt player who has (albeit brief) experience in putting the ball in the basket is more ideal lol.

I do hope they don’t settle and keep looking. You can pencil Weston and King to be two of the top three scorers next year, but still feels like that third guy is missing.
I think we definitely need someone else, but Jalen Jordan could still fill that void. May take him a little bit, but he could get it going. Just a lot of uncertainty with him. I am sure there are others in the portal

Points/rebounds/assist
All point guards or shooting guards

Jaylen Murray from Saint Peters 12.5/2.9/2.3
Kyron Gibson from UTA 11.2/2.2/3.9
Deuce Dean from Hampton 12.8/3.4/4.5
Kaden Metheny from BG 10.7/2.9/2.6
Keyshawn Hall from UNLV 5.4/1.6/0.4

There are some good players out there still. I feel like we would have a shot with all the players above. Hall from UNLV would be a project since those numbers are from 10 mins but he will be a sophomore while the others are older. A 6’7 250lbs pg will cause some serious problems for teams we play and that fits how we like to play.

At least for 2-3 minutes a game how crazy a lineup this would be.
At 5 spot- 6' 11" Chris Loofe
At 4 spot- 6' 10" Jared Coleman-Jones
At 3 spot- 6' 8" Torey Alston
At 2 spot- 6' 8" Elias King
And at point- 6' 7" 250 lb Keyshawn Hall
Now that would be some size & bulk on the court!

Of course this was all in fun. But the thing about Hall is he was 48% from 2 & 50% from 3. Averaging a little less than 6 points a game at 10 minutes per game? Actually not half bad for a freshman.

Reactions: ewglenn
Charlotte is bringing in 41 transfers

The competing stuckstills are bringing in 9 transfers

Charlotte is bringing in 41 transfers

Charlotte also has a new head coach so that accounts for the majority of the transfers. Biff is using the same thought process as Deion.

Middle Tennessee
RB Jaiden Credle (from Northern Illinois)
WR Justin Olson (from North Carolina)
WR Kalani Norris (from Georgia Tech)
WR Holden Willis (from USF)
WR Kellen Stewart (from Austin Peay)
OL Julius Pierce (from FIU)
DL James Stewart (from Memphis)
DL Brandon Buckner (from Oregon)
DB Tyrell Raby (from Memphis)

Forego his final year of eligibility?? Wasn't Lenard Jr. a sophomore last year with 2 years of eligibility remaining?
Sounds like the young man realized he made a mistake with the Memphis decision, & is like I don't like it here so I'll see how things work out in the pro's. Wonder if his original decision about his time here was from a self inflated ego, or if someone got in his ear & led him the wrong way.
Nonetheless I think he's made multiple bad decisions now, & may have squandered away his career. A concern for Lenard is If he can't handle a few months in Memphis it will likely be super tough on him trying to make it on his own playing somewhere in Europe. Takes a pretty mature person to handle such a lifestyle change at that age, & unfortunately for him these sudden decisions aren't showing a strong degree of maturity. Best wishes to the young man & hope he gets that contract he's hoping for somewhere.

Forego his final year of eligibility?? Wasn't Lenard Jr. a sophomore last year with 2 years of eligibility remaining?
Sounds like the young man realized he made a mistake with the Memphis decision, & is like I don't like it here so I'll see how things work out in the pro's. Wonder if his original decision about his time here was from a self inflated ego, or if someone got in his ear & led him the wrong way.
Nonetheless I think he's made multiple bad decisions now, & may have squandered away his career. A concern for Lenard is If he can't handle a few months in Memphis it will likely be super tough on him trying to make it on his own playing somewhere in Europe. Takes a pretty mature person to handle such a lifestyle change at that age, & unfortunately for him these sudden decisions aren't showing a strong degree of maturity. Best wishes to the young man & hope he gets that contract he's hoping for somewhere.
He is struggling to get eligible, has never made it to Memphis campus. Easier to play in one of the leagues.

Either that, or Lenard was too Memphis for Memphis and the asked him to leave.

Carnegie R-1 Research Institution of Higher Learning. Now Penny is recruiting high level academic achievers!!! 😂😂

In my day at Memphis State, if you made a 16 on the ACT you were in!!!
I would have barely made the cut (just kidding)

Sad to see how quickly T has gone down hill.

He went from a legit sleeper NBA prospect after his freshman season to a transfer portal casualty likely to never be heard from again. Goodnight my friend.

His situation, and so many like it, should be a good educational example to all these young kids chasing the biggest offer/$$ they can find. The grass is not always greener.

Who are we kidding though? They'll all hop in the portal the second they think they can get a little bit more or better opportunity somewhere else.

Sad to see how quickly T has gone down hill.

He went from a legit sleeper NBA prospect after his freshman season to a transfer portal casualty likely to never be heard from again. Goodnight my friend.

His situation, and so many like it, should be a good educational example to all these young kids chasing the biggest offer/$$ they can find. The grass is not always greener.

Who are we kidding though? They'll all hop in the portal the second they think they can get a little bit more or better opportunity somewhere else.
Agreed. That’s why I would like to see some boundaries around the portal. We have to give some protection for kids making dumb decisions and protect amateur athletics as well. Maybe the easiest way is to bring back the rule making you sit out a year if you transfer. That would make athletes think it through and if they do transfer, allow them to get their education back on track at a new school.

Reactions: TrueBlue147
Agreed. That’s why I would like to see some boundaries around the portal. We have to give some protection for kids making dumb decisions and protect amateur athletics as well. Maybe the easiest way is to bring back the rule making you sit out a year if you transfer. That would make athletes think it through and if they do transfer, allow them to get their education back on track at a new school.
I’m okay with a one time transfer then sitting out a season every transfer afterwards.

Understand he never went to class his last year here so he could not academically get in to Memphis. Also hear he was locker room cancer, especially after his first year.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTLynn
Understand he never went to class his last year here so he could not academically get in to Memphis. Also here he was locker room cancer, especially after his first year.
Same could be said about Derek Rose class “attendance” in the ‘08 Calipari N/C choke season. I don’t think he ever smelled the inside of a real college classroom. 😂

Same could be said about Derek Rose class “attendance” in the ‘08 Calipari N/C choke season. I don’t think he ever smelled the inside of a real college classroom. 😂

I graduated HS with one of UTK’s starters on their 98 national championship team. He left Knoxville with a 1.9 GPA, but was somehow eligible for all 4 years to play football.

To his credit, he did end up going back to school in his late 30s and getting a degree.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT