ADVERTISEMENT

Our way out?

This is ridiculous to be honest. I'm not the biggest Stockstill fan but this sure is reaching. I'm sure this was thoroughly examined by Massaro and administrators before hiring Brent because of the very potential for the nepotism optic. I highly doubt there was a better candidate that could offer more for us at the WR position. He's already shown his worth with the commitment and signing from Javonte Sherman. Hate Rick all you want but I highly highly doubt we had better options than Brent for the WR position.

I don't think we are seeing this news article if there wasn't the whole butt hurt COVID investigation thing with the news. Hilarious to see Tony Franklin commenting in this article, which has nothing to do with COVID and nothing to do with him since he doesn't work for MT anymore. Clearly a hit piece/butt hurt publication from this news "company" and Tony Franklin - Losers.

I sure wish they would allow comments on their news articles. Cowards.

Last edited:
but didn't the article say that the university agreed he broke the rules and what did the university do. go create a policy to justify them. yeah... this is reaching but at the same time the truth. just keeps embarrassing Stock and Massaro.... Massaro had no clue and keeps getting spanked. Maybe if they fire Massaro you can get a real AD

What a joke. Happens all over the country at all levels. His qualifications speak enough for a shot at a position coach job.

Reactions: GMClemson33
What a joke. Happens all over the country at all levels. His qualifications speak enough for a shot at a position coach job.

what qualifications did he have besides being the coaches soon and playing at MT? I would like to know who all applied? So he deserves what Dustin Royston makes and more than the previous position coach made?

Last edited:
I figure Brent and his Mrs. are off to greener pastures in a year anyway according to her. This is just a resume bullet point to get him a year of on-field staff position coach experience.
Stock didn’t help himself by getting in a sword fight with Phil Williams giving him the non-responsive, Football Coach stare down in the Covid interview. The guy loves a good fight and Stock fell for it.

Just another typical day of crap at good ole Middle. Hoooo-rah.

I figure Brent and his Mrs. are off to greener pastures in a year anyway according to her. This is just a resume bullet point to get him a year of on-field staff position coach experience.
Stock didn’t help himself by getting in a sword fight with Phil Williams giving him the non-responsive, Football Coach stare down in the Covid interview. The guy loves a good fight and Stock fell for it.

Just another typical day of crap at good ole Middle. Hoooo-rah.
yep....I know you didn't like it when West son was here and I believe Shafer's son is on staff as well

Reactions: C-Bow
but didn't the article say that the university agreed he broke the rules and what did the university do. go create a policy to justify them. yeah... this is reaching but at the same time the truth. just keeps embarrassing Stock and Massaro.... Massaro had no clue and keeps getting spanked. Maybe if they fire Massaro you can get a real AD
Massaro knew the policy and was already armed with prepared finger pointing to defend the hire. The bigger question is why we are going to pay an AD to supervise a direct report Football position Coach? I’d be more concerned with the fact that fundraising is at an all-time low, both Men’s revenue sports are in the crapper, and attendance and ticket sales are roughly half that of Oakland High School.
You know, AD sh*t.

Massaro knew the policy and was already armed with prepared finger pointing to defend the hire. The bigger question is why we are goin to pay an AD to supervise a direct report Football position Coach? I’d be more concerned with the fact that fundraising is at an all-time low, both revenue sports are in the crapper, and attendance and ticket sales are roughly half that of Oakland High School.
You know, AD sh*t.
Preach

what qualifications did he have besides being the coaches soon and playing at MT? I would like to know who all applied? So he deserves what Dustin Royston makes and more than the previous position coach made?

It is extremely common for a FB analyst / GA for a few years to move into their first position coach job as a WR or TE coach.

Nick Saban went from 2 years as a GA to a LB coach (he played DB in college).

Brent was a smart player and this is a natural progression. The only reason I dont want him here now is because I want the entire CRS staff fired. I would have preferred Brent get the WR coaching job somewhere else and after a few years see him move to the OC/QB somewhere else or here.

Hiring Brent and Dearmon appear to be the best moves Stock has made in a decade.

It is extremely common for a FB analyst / GA for a few years to move into their first position coach job as a WR or TE coach.

Nick Saban went from 2 years as a GA to a LB coach (he played DB in college).

Brent was a smart player and this is a natural progression. The only reason I dont want him here now is because I want the entire CRS staff fired. I would have preferred Brent get the WR coaching job somewhere else and after a few years see him move to the OC/QB somewhere else or here.

Hiring Brent and Dearmon appear to be the best moves Stock has made in a decade.

oh I understand how it works most of the time. Just saw 2 High School HC get jobs after years one went Charlotte the other to UCF. I'm just saying who else applied and what was there background? I see he makes the same as Gilstrap who coached D2 and FCS before getting his chance at FBS. If he was that good why didn't USF hire him or FAU or the lane train at Ole Miss.

If Blue Raider Football had gone 9-3 or 10-2 the last couple of years, maybe even won an outright conf title, no one would question the hire. Then basketball tanks. But if these guys drop another turd in the Floyd punch bowl next season they will all want to leave town to avoid the backlash. Folks have had enough of the funny accounting, fire proof contracts and terrible losses in Football and Basketball. We deserve better. From the AD all the way down the food chain.

Coached at FAU and USF. if I remember correctly about the same qualifications as Kodi Burns who was here in 2015 and has since had 2 SEC jobs but whatever you think. This was his resume before we hired him as a WR Coach.

2012Arkansas State(GA)
2013Auburn (GA)
2014Samford (RB)
2015Middle Tennessee(WR)

Reactions: Tyler Pellom
oh I understand how it works most of the time. Just saw 2 High School HC get jobs after years one went Charlotte the other to UCF. I'm just saying who else applied and what was there background? I see he makes the same as Gilstrap who coached D2 and FCS before getting his chance at FBS. If he was that good why didn't USF hire him or FAU or the lane train at Ole Miss.

I would expect the DB coach and WR coach to make the same. I doubt we have a list of juggernaut WR coach candidates for MT at this point.

When Brent moved to MT, USF still had a full offensive staff. There changes were at RB coach and TE after Brent left. Ole Miss takes other P5 and G5 coaches for their staff, not G5 analysts.

I can’t think of a G5 team in the country that would not take their former 2nd team All-conference QB, that was known for his intelligence on the field and who spent time working with Lane Kiffin and Brad Scott back as a WR or TE coach of the opportunity presented itself.

Coached at FAU and USF. if I remember correctly about the same qualifications as Kodi Burns who was here in 2015 and has since had 2 SEC jobs but whatever you think. This was his resume before we hired him as a WR Coach.

2012Arkansas State(GA)
2013Auburn (GA)
2014Samford (RB)
2015Middle Tennessee(WR)

but Burns didn't have an inside track either.... I'm just saying who else applied, since they are on the record saying he had the best interview and candidate.

Happens all the time. UTK’s women’s basketball coach hired her husband......

We all know it happens, but is it right? and when the university admits that the policy was broken and stock shouldn't have been the one doing the interview speaks volumes of the lack of control that Massaro has and how raggedy the department is running. I guess it's ok, to let everyone get a taste of the state of TN money. Massaro needs to be fired and bring in someone who will.move the department forward

We all know it happens, but is it right? and when the university admits that the policy was broken and stock shouldn't have been the one doing the interview speaks volumes of the lack of control that Massaro has and how raggedy the department is running. I guess it's ok, to let everyone get a taste of the state of TN money. Massaro needs to be fired and bring in someone who will.move the department forward

Absolutely agree with this.

They should have hired the Dearmon first, then let him, Beckles & someone in the AD outside of football score the interview.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Great Point Tyler! Who is pulling the strings of Phil to trash his school. I would start with Tony Franklin! In my opinion TF a was fired ( retired) for causing turmoil in the program. TF has an agenda and Phil is his mouth piece.

I’d be very interested to know Phil Williams’ motivations over the last two months.

Two pieces from him that are low hanging fruit to attack Stock on.

This is a very good point.

Phil is an investigative reporter, not sports anchor. Both pieces are more opinion than news. If he was presenting an actual news story, he would mentioned that the rule was broken, but also mention that it’s common practice in coaching circles. The piece would be left open to the viewer to decide, based on all the information, if breaking a policy that is commonly broken in coaching circles should continue or if changes should be made.

Same for the Covid hit piece. CRS broke Covid polices. Ok, is this a common theme in football practices a one-off with Stock? He didn’t cover this.

So essentially he gives slanted pieces with an obvious agenda and w/o all the facts. He then doubles down on social media talking about the lack of diversity in coaching and saying nepotism keeps black men from jobs. He presented no evidence to support his case that Brent got favoritism (Brent very well may have been our best candidate) over anyone that applied or a black man. It’s perfectly fair to ask if favoritism occurred, but another to insinuate it did w/o facts.

i will say this & I have wanted Stock gone for years-I don’t know Phil Williams, but this is poor journalism & poor representative of MT. Objective journalism, if it excited, is dead.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I’d be very interested to know Phil Williams’ motivations over the last two months.

Two pieces from him that are low hanging fruit to attack Stock on.

I don't think any of us have a problem with hiring Brent. Great football mind, and he is one of our own.

But Tyler hit the nail on the head. This is low hanging fruit. If you are CRS, you hire Dearmon first, then let him interview and hire Brent.

IMO, the 2 Phil Williams articles are the result of sloppiness on CRS. Don't provide the media with low hanging fruit. If I was an outside observer, and I read PW's Covid-19 protocol article, and then I see that ridiculous picture of CRS at the Army game, it is going to be difficult for me to immediately discredit TF's accusations. Same with Brent. The program is a 20 year low point. Fan interest is on life support. You are coming off another losing season. Then you watch that cupcake zoom call interview. Makes it too easy of a target.

Further proof we need better from CRS, but this is who he is. This program will not change until he is gone.

It's the old question...Do you want to see how the hot dog is made or do you just want the hot dog? Nobody cares how it's made only that its delicious and you get to eat it. I think that's my opinion here. Technicality or not, if it gets the school out of paying this monstrosity of a contract so be it. If you can't deal with the Nashville media for goodness sakes how can you run a competent football or athletic program.

That's the whole thing nobody in the media in Nashville cares about MTSU so they don't care to drop these hit piece low hanging fruit articles. If the school-Athletic Department had a relationship with these stations this wouldn't happen. Instead, the ho-hum attitude across all facets of the department gets you this mess. Blame the media if you want but this one's on the school. Optics are big part of college athletics, apparently most of us know that, but we know a few people who don't. Unfortunately, they get six and seven figures.

This is just another example of how CRS is tone deaf when it comes to the optics of the program. We can talk all day about his W/L record, coaching philosophy, etc. But, the thing that always leaves me shaking my head is his apparent lack of concern on how the fan base and media view the program. The video of CRS going into a recruit's home without wearing a mask, why would you even release that? At a minimum, just do a fake meet and greet with masks on, cut the camera, then do your thing. Similar to that cringe worthy video of him trying to hand out t-shirts. That video should have NEVER been released. Look at a screen capture from one of his coach's shows. He acts like he is waiting to get a root canal. We have to have a HC that isn't just coach speak. When the WKU game rolls around, or if Vandy is ever on the schedule again, I don't want to hear how it is just another game, or how every game is big. For us, those aren't just another game. I want to beat their @ss.

He does nothing to light a fire in the program. He has no social media presence. He doesn't engage the fan base. You aren't a rah-rah guy? Too bad. You are getting paid $1M a year. Start faking it. High five students, shake hands with the few donors we have, kiss babies, take selfies with people tailgating. I'm sick of this .500 free ride.

This is just another example of how CRS is tone deaf when it comes to the optics of the program. We can talk all day about his W/L record, coaching philosophy, etc. But, the thing that always leaves me shaking my head is his apparent lack of concern on how the fan base and media view the program. The video of CRS going into a recruit's home without wearing a mask, why would you even release that? At a minimum, just do a fake meet and greet with masks on, cut the camera, then do your thing. Similar to that cringe worthy video of him trying to hand out t-shirts. That video should have NEVER been released. Look at a screen capture from one of his coach's shows. He acts like he is waiting to get a root canal. We have to have a HC that isn't just coach speak. When the WKU game rolls around, or if Vandy is ever on the schedule again, I don't want to hear how it is just another game, or how every game is big. For us, those aren't just another game. I want to beat their @ss.

He does nothing to light a fire in the program. He has no social media presence. He doesn't engage the fan base. You aren't a rah-rah guy? Too bad. You are getting paid $1M a year. Start faking it. High five students, shake hands with the few donors we have, kiss babies, take selfies with people tailgating. I'm sick of this .500 free ride.

Nailed it. 👏👏👍

It’s bad that the most press we’ve gotten in a decade are from these past two hit piece articles. All these people jumping to defend him probably could fill up Floyd Stadium but of course that would take actual effort. Sending a tweet takes a minute.

Didn't post in the other Williams thread (covid protocol) IIRC. I didn't see any of the reports on the newscasts about either issue nor do I read social media. I only read the report on the first issue on the WTVF website. Glad to see that someone has finally posted that the Award Winning investigative reporter on Channel 5 is a MT grad.

Over time Williams has exposed many instances of corruption and shady dealings and has even started investigations which resulted in incarceration. IMHO today we need more investigative journalist with the decreasing amount of print and electronic coverage; much of which has become opinion masquerading as factual news. There are many things which possibly need to be exposed but in today's "sound bite" media as we see little in-depth reporting of important issues. There was one instance in the distance past when I felt Williams was being somewhat unfair in reporting on something I cared about but I can't remember what it was.

It must be noted that Williams sometimes appears caustic and his speech pattern comes across, to me at least, as not made for electronic media (he did start out in print). In Williams' defense I would mention what I'm sure most of you realize. Williams' primary job is to expose issues while drawing viewers to Channel 5 newscast and doing so within time constraints. It doesn't surprise me that neither the covid or the nepotism investigation expanded to report on other schools' possible issues. I don't see this as slanted reporting or an intentional effort to hurt the MT athletic program.

Franklin brought up the covid issue; Williams picked up on it [at the same time The Tennessean did - two weeks after the Washington Post (?) article came out - often electronic media seems to get stories from print and vice versa - neither has the staff today not to play off of each other].
I haven't seen where Williams got wind of the Little Stock hiring but regardless; it appears state, university, and athletic dept. rules and procedures were violated. Shouldn't that be looked into?

can somebody get a list of all the candidates who applied for the job and see if he was truly the best candidate, since that is the argument they are using....if he was so be it. Stock hasn't made a friend in Phil. And Tony Franklin is setting the university for a lawsuit with all of this. he is getting free fact finding information to sue.....smh

This is a total hit piece and while there’s merit to question the hiring practices, I certainly question the motives from Phil Williams.

On the flip side, how negligent and arrogant has Stock become? He’s bulletproof, he knows it and he’s not hiding it anymore.

In the end, I’m just tired of our program being a laughing stock. These are the dark days and I fear it’s only going to get darker. What a joke.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT