ADVERTISEMENT

Our way out?

Hate to follow up but: Williams does not need to check on Little Stocks other offers, how much they paid, or what the hiring practices are at other schools. He's reporting on whether or not hiring rules and practices were violated in the MT athletic dept. - Other issues are irrelevant to his investigation.
As for Williams having an ulterior motive: Yep, get eyeballs on Channel 5 newscasts while being an investigative journalist. Period!!! (IMHO)

Reactions: T2Tool and mtfblue
It’s time for March madness and people are actual talking about blue raider football..sometimes bad publicity is better than no publicity At all? Most people would agree that Brent is a good hire. Maybe we should have named him OC after he graduated in 3 years? I guarantee that he would have at least brought in a couple of D1 QB’s to compete for the job. TF and PW are frustrated because nobody cares what they have to say!

Hate to follow up but: Williams does not need to check on Little Stocks other offers, how much they paid, or what the hiring practices are at other schools. He's reporting on whether or not hiring rules and practices were violated in the MT athletic dept. - Other issues are irrelevant to his investigation.
As for Williams having an ulterior motive: Yep, get eyeballs on Channel 5 newscasts while being an investigative journalist. Period!!! (IMHO)

I agree and disagree with you on this one. I think part of the nepotism claim mirrors the question of being a qualified candidate in the first place. Brent does have a couple of years in the coaching ranks under his belt at this point, so I do think it's important to know what other jobs were considering him and at what level were the positions? Maybe not completely relevant to his piece, but from a research standpoint alone that's Journalism 101. The REAL question here, though, revolves around WHO the other candidates for the MT gig were? I'd loved to see those names...

casey, well Brent might not be smartest if he turned down an OC/QB coach job. even if it is at the FCS level.... Scott shouldn't have said that

Oh I agree wholeheartedly with you. USF is in shambles as well but that's a hellavu better offer/opportunity than here. Scott going out on a limb there took me by surprise. I thought it was comical more than anything.

If he had not qualifications, no ties to the school, no coaching experience or had questions around him, then maybe I get this.

Look, he is one of the best hires in several years.

Has experience and is young is his career.
One of the best players in our program's history which means a lot to players and fans
Probably has ties to Florida for recruiting
No question marks about his background, attitude, etc.

He has exactly what this program needs. He just happens to have a last name that is familiar. So what?

If he had not qualifications, no ties to the school, no coaching experience or had questions around him, then maybe I get this.

Look, he is one of the best hires in several years.

Has experience and is young is his career.
One of the best players in our program's history which means a lot to players and fans
Probably has ties to Florida for recruiting
No question marks about his background, attitude, etc.

He has exactly what this program needs. He just happens to have a last name that is familiar. So what?

He was a player personnel assistant and Offensive analyst... what on field coaching does he have. Like Casey said who were the other candidates that applied and there resume.

Reactions: C-Bow
I'll dust off an old Andy Mac slogan and say that I'll really be glad when we can "turn the page" on the Tony Franklin era. Good riddance to him and hope he's enjoying the attention because he's about 14 minutes into his 15 minutes of fame.

No offense to Brent but I didn't want nepotism in any hire that was coming in. I understand that Brent may be the best candidate but I wasn't sure about it personally.

It is definitely a hit piece but maybe not too far out of left field to at least question it. Stock has so much immunity to scrutiny or results. As Space said, I would be interested in a story on the contract.

lol....nice try that doesn't count

You can’t be serious. Have you not watched how pathetic our receivers have been. Brent is uniquely qualified to coach just about any position on offense. This is beyond one of the most ridiculous things I’ve seen in the sports world lately. His status creates a conflict of interest but it’s not like he was a Manny Diaz type having never played or never coached before.

He may have been an “analyst” but I will bet you any amount of money he’s been on the field helping instruct on the field in the video room or wherever else he’s been able to support in his previous roles. A WR coach at a G5 program is an entry level position - one of which he is more than qualified to hold. This absurd. And I’m glad someone with the following and knowledge of sports like Dawn Davenport has is counter punching against her own kind in the media profession to highlight what stupidity this is. Buy a clue.

You can’t be serious. Have you not watched how pathetic our receivers have been. Brent is uniquely qualified to coach just about any position on offense. This is beyond one of the most ridiculous things I’ve seen in the sports world lately. His status creates a conflict of interest but it’s not like he was a Manny Diaz type having never played or never coached before.

He may have been an “analyst” but I will bet you any amount of money he’s been on the field helping instruct on the field in the video room or wherever else he’s been able to support in his previous roles. A WR coach at a G5 program is an entry level position - one of which he is more than qualified to hold. This absurd. And I’m glad someone with the following and knowledge of sports like Dawn Davenport has is counter punching against her own kind in the media profession to highlight what stupidity this is. Buy a clue.

Y'all are in your feelings..... the article is about rules being broken and no accountability from the U. I still want to see who he beat out since his dad and Massaro said he was the best person for the job. I have a clue and you can't playing experience as coaching experience. ....typical MT BS

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
He's reporting on whether or not hiring rules and practices were violated in the MT athletic dept. - Other issues are irrelevant to his investigation.

I would have agreed with you on this until PW tweeted out the story and followed it up with this question, "How many people like Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are denied coaching opportunities because nepotism is so common in college coaching?"

If you want to question the method for how Brent was hired, go for it. I thought Casey's description was spot on. But not sure how someone can think Brent isn't qualified for the job, or that he got the job over someone more qualified just because he is Rick's kid. He got it because he knows this program inside and out. Kiffin didn't bring Brent on as a charity case or favor to CRS. If Brent couldn't coach, USF wouldn't have hired him.

I agree there is a lack of diversity in the coaching ranks across all sports. But this hire just makes too much sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaiderDawg78
I have a clue and you can't playing experience as coaching experience. ....typical MT BS

Time will tell how good of a hire it was, but Brent has more coaching experience than Deion Sanders, and I wish we had an energized fan base like Jackson St has right now.

Time will tell how good of a hire it was, but Brent has more coaching experience than Deion Sanders, and I wish we had an energized fan base like Jackson St has right now.

Naw..Deion has about 10 years of coaching, but yeah Jackson St is energized and money is flowing in. Not saying Brent is not capable or deserving, but his daddy has gotten to were he thinks he is a teflon don

Sadly it’s because he basically is.
Yep. Fellas, I think it is safe to assume that many of us won’t return until the place is cleaned out. I’ve personally aired my concerns face to face with CM over two seasons ago. He isn’t going to change, Stock isn’t going to change, the basketball coach sure hasn’t changed his coaching strategy in three years. They have no one holding them accountable for the results they have given us for years and are riding it as long as they are allowed to.

It is what it is.

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
Y'all are in your feelings..... the article is about rules being broken and no accountability from the U. I still want to see who he beat out since his dad and Massaro said he was the best person for the job. I have a clue and you can't playing experience as coaching experience. ....typical MT BS

I don’t give a crap about that policy. I think Brent is an excellent hire for WR coach. His career path is very common. I like Brent at WR coach more Rick as dad.

If he was the best candidate, then I’m for breaking that policy 100% of the time.

Reactions: blueraiderJT
The comment of him having on field coaching experience as basically our OC while playing was obviously in jest. I think many things can be true all at once. Brent was most likely either the most qualified for the job or the best fit or both, a rule was broken even though I think it is a stupid rule when it can be shown the hire was the best choice, the people who broke the rule should face some level of accountability, and this is a hit piece because Williams is a tool.

Uh, Our DC hired his son who coaches with us. Ty Nix recruited his son and brought him in on scholarship. West and Rick Insell hired his kid. What's the issue?

Last edited:
what qualifications did he have besides being the coaches soon and playing at MT? I would like to know who all applied? So he deserves what Dustin Royston makes and more than the previous position coach made?
Uh, He coached at FAU and WON A CONFERENCE TITLE. Coached at USF and he was the best damn QB we ever had and knows WR's better than anyone on our current staff. Total upgrade over Silvoy. Also he saved 2 of our best wr's from jumping ship. I don't care for Rick at all but Brent is a good hire.

Last edited:
can somebody get a list of all the candidates who applied for the job and see if he was truly the best candidate, since that is the argument they are using....if he was so be it. Stock hasn't made a friend in Phil. And Tony Franklin is setting the university for a lawsuit with all of this. he is getting free fact finding information to sue.....smh
What can TF sue for? Absolutely nothing. He wasn't put in any danger with COVID. He could have quit and he didn't plus the NCAA put the season in motion not MT. If he was that scared, he should have walked. He signed up for it. That's on him.

Now TF commenting just makes him look like an idiot. The dude has sh!t in every bed he's slept in.

While we might be a laughing stock, the Brent hire was a smart hire. How is it that Pierce and Ali decided to stay when he got hired? He talked with them and got them to stay. That alone should prove that the hire was a good one. wTF ran em off but he's the dude talking about favortism. LOL. Hell, he should know.

Last edited:
Bullsh!t. The best dude should get the job and who else were they gonna get? Jeff Scott offered him an QB coach/OC job and he took the MT offer. Highly relevent. This Phil idiot is a moron. I never even heard of him until the COVID nonsense piece and now he wants revenge because no one gave a sh!t. That's all this is. wTF is his expert source? The dude who wrecked our offense? Then they play the race card because we didn't hire a black dude when just about everyone on Brent's zoom interview was a person of color? LOL. Weak sauce.

The comment of him having on field coaching experience as basically our OC while playing was obviously in jest. I think many things can be true all at once. Brent was most likely either the most qualified for the job or the best fit or both, a rule was broken even though I think it is a stupid rule when it can be shown the hire was the best choice, the people who broke the rule should face some level of accountability, and this is a hit piece because Williams is a tool.
Actually, the rule was never broken. Massaro made the hire and on the org chart is his boss, not Rick. This is how they hired Wolfgang and West's kid. This is how UT, Auburn and a hundred other schools did it. This is how they do it in high school and all over the place. The dude is just pissy because his "Covid emmy winning hit piece" only hit the toilet. He had wTF on his team. What did Williams expect? See Hawaii 2016 and the last 2 seasons. LOL.

I don’t give a crap about that policy. I think Brent is an excellent hire for WR coach. His career path is very common. I like Brent at WR coach more Rick as dad.

If he was the best candidate, then I’m for breaking that policy 100% of the time.
Yes sir and we ran a legal loop hole in the org chart so the rule ain't broken. They ain't gonna fire him and we are still gonna play so who's your daddy Phil?

Last edited:
lol....nice try that doesn't count

He had a year under Kiffin at FAU (WON A FRIGGIN TITLE) and a year under Jeff Scott at USF and was offered the QB/OC position for double the money and turned it down to be here. You do read right? And yeah, him being the best QB we ever had does come into play since he knows WR's and their tendencies better than most people that would interview for the job. He's young and players like him. He's a good hire. Rick has done a lot of stupid sh!t here but this hire is one of his better moves. Lane Kiffin and Scott raved about how good a hire this was. wTF is a moron and loon bag if he thinks Brent isn't capable.

Reactions: Raiders_55
Sadly it’s because he basically is.
I think he needed help getting all of the players wTF ran off back and knew he could trust Brent to do it. Guess what? We are deep in the WR chart because he did his job. Dearmon comes in and brings his recruits in and Brent helps him lock these dudes down and even helps snag some portal dudes. Silvoy was handling our recuiting so Brent had to take the wheel and we didn't have much time to look for every "deserving" person in the world that matched a beneton ad. Sometimes, you gotta roll with who you know can get it done and so far, Brent has proven. to be that guy.

I'll dust off an old Andy Mac slogan and say that I'll really be glad when we can "turn the page" on the Tony Franklin era. Good riddance to him and hope he's enjoying the attention because he's about 14 minutes into his 15 minutes of fame.
No one is listening to him anyway. Phil only went to him because he knows he has nothing. LOL. There was no resolve to the story because nothing has to even be done. What did McPhee say? What did the BOR say? Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Zero. This is sound and fury signifying nothing.

Reactions: MT Glenn
Actually, the rule was never broken. Massaro made the hire and on the org chart is his boss, not Rick. This is how they hired Wolfgang and West's kid. This is how UT, Auburn and a hundred other schools did it. This is how they do it in high school and all over the place. The dude is just pissy because his "Covid emmy winning hit piece" only hit the toilet. He had wTF on his team. What did Williams expect? See Hawaii 2016 and the last 2 seasons. LOL.
Well Rick participated in the interview process, which is not allowed as written. Why it would have been smarter to hire Dearmon first and Rick not participate in the interview.

The thing is process looks bad. Its again because nobody in the athletic department or football program cares because no one holds them accountable. I don't think anybody thinks it was a bad hire.

Uh, He coached at FAU and WON A CONFERENCE TITLE. Coached at USF and he was the best damn QB we ever had and knows WR's better than anyone on our current staff. Total upgrade over Silvoy. Also he saved 2 of our best wr's from jumping ship. I don't care for Rick at all but Brent is a good hire.

He was a ASSISTANT player personnel director, that's not coaching. stop reaching

He was a ASSISTANT player personnel director, that's not coaching. stop reaching

You don’t know what your talking about.

QC analysts break down film and help game plan prep. During the practice week, they help the QB drills and often run the scout team during team drills.

During the game, they are in the press box helping point out opponent formations and helping the OC make calls or help a position play identity technique issues.

A QC doesn’t coach on the field during games or isnt responsible for a position/ gameplay, but they absolutely help gameplan & practice during the week.

Last edited:
You don’t know what your talking about.

QC analysts break down film and help game plan prep. During the practice week, they help the QB drills and often run the scout team during team drills.

During the game, they are in the press box helping point out opponent formations and helping the OC make calls or help a position play identity technique issues.

A QC doesn’t coach on the field during games or isnt responsible for a position/ gameplay, but they absolutely help gameplan & practice during the week.

yes i do know what i'm talking about. been at many FBS practices and non of the QC guys are on the field coaching. believe what you want to believe. but is he had a an offer as an OC/QB coach why would he take WR job....???

yes i do know what i'm talking about. been at many FBS practices and non of the QC guys are on the field coaching. believe what you want to believe. but is he had a an offer as an OC/QB coach why would he take WR job....???
Technically, QC / analysts CAN'T be on the field coaching. But the reality is they often do on-field coaching.

And, there are a variety of reasons Brent MAY have taken the WR job. Maybe it wasn't a great situation. Maybe - just maybe - he wants to work with his dad.

Technically, QC / analysts CAN'T be on the field coaching. But the reality is they often do on-field coaching.

And, there are a variety of reasons Brent MAY have taken the WR job. Maybe it wasn't a great situation. Maybe - just maybe - he wants to work with his dad.

To be real, it's not about Brent for me...I like the kid. It's just the process of how things are being handled and no one is being held accountable. I'm glad I don't live in TN and paying taxes to fund this turd show at 1301 E Main St. This university needs a reality show....paging Andy Cohen

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT