ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL New conference realignment rumblings

There’s no such thing as tv markets anymore. No one is buying cable packages.

This is about national brands and selling big matchups nationwide. The tv market is national.

FSU was #7 this year in TV ratings, with a bunch of dud ACC matchups.

They’ll be in any conference they want 5 minutes after they get out of the ACC.
Cable is of course going down, but almost everyone still has live TV. Be it Hulu like me or Sling or YouTube. So carriage fees still matter. They pay the SEC more per subscriber for those in SEC markets. It's one reason the B1G wanted California. Making the LA area in-market instead of out will give the conference an extra almost $20m per year due to the carriage fee increases.

So for everyone who lives in North Carolina and has the SEC Network now, the SEC gets around $0.25. It'll be $1.40 if they grab UNC.

Yes the brand matters but location still does.

Does any of this help MT move to a better conference? Maybe if the ACC looks to build up by taking some AAC schools? Like Memphis?

Cable is of course going down, but almost everyone still has live TV. Be it Hulu like me or Sling or YouTube. So carriage fees still matter. They pay the SEC more per subscriber for those in SEC markets. It's one reason the B1G wanted California. Making the LA area in-market instead of out will give the conference an extra almost $20m per year due to the carriage fee increases.

So for everyone who lives in North Carolina and has the SEC Network now, the SEC gets around $0.25. It'll be $1.40 if they grab UNC.

Yes the brand matters but location still does.

So glad I cut the cord 2 years ago and only watch illegal streams now. I have zero interest in helping to bankroll sports these days and don't really watch much anymore anyway.

Reactions: ewglenn
Does any of this help MT move to a better conference? Maybe if the ACC looks to build up by taking some AAC schools? Like Memphis?
If Memphis and, say, Tulane and/or USF leave the AAC, it's nothing more than CUSA v5.0

I think Middle pissed their chance away at moving up last go around. Irony is that the Sun Belt is probably the best non P4 conference now

If Memphis and, say, Tulane and/or USF leave the AAC, it's nothing more than CUSA v5.0

I think Middle pissed their chance away at moving up last go around. Irony is that the Sun Belt is probably the best non P4 conference now

Yup. I have zero desire for us to go to the AAC. Sure their TV deal is more now, but 100000% it won't be anywhere near the $7m for next round.

I'd 100% take the SBC. More regional and id fuss zero to play Marshall and Troy every year along with App now and then. Bring WKU with us and that's a great schedule. Otherwise, let's stay where we are and win here. Be the best CUSA has to offer. Liberty proved it can be done.

Tarleton State’s president posted this and I am hoping it doesn’t mean a move to CUSA.

I remember hearing Chip Walter's a few months ago on a local podcast. He practically said as much that strong rumors were Tarleton State's on its way to being named CUSA's next future member.

That would mean adding another as everything I've seen says UMass is their top target to bring us to 12. I don't see them staying at 13. Maybe the UMass A10 thing really is blocking it and they are wanting Tarleton instead.

I'd personally go after Missouri State myself.

Wow. I really thought Delaware was the prelude to UMass for CUSA. I mean the MAC makes sense but that gives them an odd number.

Rumors are CUSA is still set to add another. Missouri State maybe?

I was all about the MAC back when the news first broke about the invitation.

But since I think we're actually trying again, I don't necessarily think it's much better than where we are now.

Although I reserve the right to change my mind again if we add Northwest Southeast Nebraska School of Corn and Katy Perry State or whatever school wanders past CUSA HQ.

I was all about the MAC back when the news first broke about the invitation.

But since I think we're actually trying again, I don't necessarily think it's much better than where we are now.

Although I reserve the right to change my mind again if we add Northwest Southeast Nebraska School of Corn and Katy Perry State or whatever school wanders past CUSA HQ.
I think Katy Perry State could be a Dark Horse. That addition would certainly be a Firework.

So if WKU heads to the MAC, that would open MSu and EKU to CUSA..https://www.news-leader.com/story/sports/college/msu/2024/02/26/missouri-state-conference-usa-mvc-valley-realignment-the-athletic-cusa/72749100007/

AAC > MAC > CUSA

If we will never have a shot at AAC and reuniting with some of our old schools, then just go to the MAC. CUSA is terrible, but if it’s temporary then I’m fine staying for a little while.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
I have no desire to go to the MAC. If CUSA is so awful, why aren't we dominating it athletically in all sports? Track, tennis, WBB. That's it over the last couple years. The newbies we are so much better than came right in and kicked our butts in almost every other sport. Only positive the MAC has for me is the stability factor, but I am willing to take my chances on either CUSA getting better or something else coming along down the road.

I too have zero desire to go to the MAC. I said on X it would suck to not be in the same conference as WKU, but that doesn't mean I'd want to follow them there. I did want it a few years ago, and I fully admit I was wrong. If we had gone, we would not have the renewed hope we do for FB with CDM.

Do I want to stay in CUSA long term, no. But our GOR is only till '29 so let's stay till then. By then, the new CFP will be settled, the whole P2 split will be settled, etc. Speaking of which those rumors are big time heating up that the proposal made of 4 SEC/B1G teams guaranteed a CFP spot wasn't made in jest. So let's let all that settle down.

I do wonder who the 12 CUSA school will be.

If western bolts then we need to get La Tech and Liberty and all go to the MAC. Im sure they would take that package deal. That would elevate the MAC pretty highly and effectively kill CUSA.

I too have zero desire to go to the MAC. I said on X it would suck to not be in the same conference as WKU, but that doesn't mean I'd want to follow them there. I did want it a few years ago, and I fully admit I was wrong. If we had gone, we would not have the renewed hope we do for FB with CDM.

Do I want to stay in CUSA long term, no. But our GOR is only till '29 so let's stay till then. By then, the new CFP will be settled, the whole P2 split will be settled, etc. Speaking of which those rumors are big time heating up that the proposal made of 4 SEC/B1G teams guaranteed a CFP spot wasn't made in jest. So let's let all that settle down.

I do wonder who the 12 CUSA school will be.
I’ve gotten a few tidbits of information that I shared with the GoMiddle staff that foreshadowed this a bit. I caught wind a few days ago that Missouri St to CUSA was heating up. This is what I said below:

First question I had:

“Big change of subject but I’ve heard a few rumbles that Missouri St to CUSA is picking up steam. Anyone else heard that?”

Second comment I had:

“I’ve heard from a few people that UMASS was the first choice but they are dragging their feet. The thought was Delaware would entice them to jump. From the sound of it Missouri St may have applied for CUSA membership and I’ve heard Tarleton is a “when, not if, add”. I think long term CUSA will go to 14. I disagree with that move but those are the 3 additions I think are coming at some point. I don’t have a good read on who would be the UMASS replacement if they decided not to come. My guess would be EKU is the next in line after those 3.”

I’ve gotten a few tidbits of information that I shared with the GoMiddle staff that foreshadowed this a bit. I caught wind a few days ago that Missouri St to CUSA was heating up. This is what I said below:

First question I had:

“Big change of subject but I’ve heard a few rumbles that Missouri St to CUSA is picking up steam. Anyone else heard that?”

Second comment I had:

“I’ve heard from a few people that UMASS was the first choice but they are dragging their feet. The thought was Delaware would entice them to jump. From the sound of it Missouri St may have applied for CUSA membership and I’ve heard Tarleton is a “when, not if, add”. I think long term CUSA will go to 14. I disagree with that move but those are the 3 additions I think are coming at some point. I don’t have a good read on who would be the UMASS replacement if they decided not to come. My guess would be EKU is the next in line after those 3.”
I'm for sure getting run over on X for saying no Tarleton. Maybe I'm wrong for thinking they aren't ready. They only went D1 in 2020. I will admit they have put major $ in and the stadium looks great, and they just broke ground on a new 8k seat arena for basketball. I'll admit if I'm wrong and eat crow, but I just think it is too soon.
I will say it is farther west than I thought it was.

I've said before I'd shoot for 16 and pods but not yet. I'd add one more for now and hold at 12 till we see what the CFP looks like for '26+ and let the dust settle. It would suck to add a bunch of current FCS schools and in 3-4yrs there are current FBS for the taking. Add Missouri State for now as it gives us a new state and wait.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
I'm for sure getting run over on X for saying no Tarleton. Maybe I'm wrong for thinking they aren't ready. They only went D1 in 2020. I will admit they have put major $ in and the stadium looks great, and they just broke ground on a new 8k seat arena for basketball. I'll admit if I'm wrong and eat crow, but I just think it is too soon.

I've said before I'd shoot for 16 and pods but not yet. I'd add one more for now and hold at 12 till we see what the CFP looks like for '26+ and let the dust settle. It would suck to add a bunch of current FCS schools and in 3-4yrs there are current FBS for the taking. Add Missouri State for now as it gives us a new state and wait.
I'll let you know what the 3 texas schools( SFA, TSU and ACU) look like this fall as I will be at the games when my son plays them. Tartleton has ole Nix as the DC. saw him this past season.

I'll let you know what the 3 texas schools( SFA, TSU and ACU) look like this fall as I will be at the games when my son plays them. Tartleton has ole Nix as the DC. saw him this past season.
Hit me up when you go to SFA. I live relatively close to SFA.

Reactions: mtfblue

Personally I don’t think Tarleton is ready. We agree on that. I will say they have made a lot of progress in a short amount of time so it might not be a bad idea to make a move. Clearly they are different than Liberty but it reminds me a bit of Liberty doing all the right things with investment and no one wanting them (obviously political stuff involved too). It reminds me a little of that situation though because I can see why they would be enticing because their fans seem fully invested.

Fun stuff reading everyone’s positions. In the past year, I’ve conceded that we are a middle of the pack school so any conference association can’t come with much scrutiny.

I’m just hoping we get our house in order. Would be sad to see western move on but a Missouri state add would be a fun road trip.

Already thinking about Jax st next year.

Reactions: ewglenn

I’m against any school that you have to google to figure out what, where, or who the hell they are.

We already have someone called Kennesaw (sounds like a hipster craft beer) and a Jacksonville that isn’t even in Florida.

What the hell is tarleton? We need to get out of CUSA anyway we can. This conference sucks and full of no names. I’m mad we didn’t join the MAC last time.At least people have heard of Miami (oh) Kent and Toledo etc.

What the hell is tarleton? We need to get out of CUSA anyway we can. This conference sucks and full of no names. I’m mad we didn’t join the MAC last time.At least people have heard of Miami (oh) Kent and Toledo etc.
I agree. If that’s the best we can do, then go MAC. It was way more respectable than what CUSA is becoming.

Kennesaw, Jacksonville State and Tarleton. That’s a death sentence that I don’t see us ever having a chance to move on from. Embarassing. I literally had to google those schools to even know where they are at.

Named after John Tarleton. They are an R2 Research University same as us and so is Kennesaw State. Western Kentucky was not on the list I saw, so both apparently better than WKU in that aspect.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Tarleton_(American_settler)

I had to Google Tarleton as well and they actually have really nice facilities. Much better than SHSU. They are part of A&M system.

My worry with them isn't name recognition but competitiveness wise. Having been D1 only since 2020, that's a huge jump to FBS that quick. I don't mind adding someone competitive like Jax St has been. But I don't want a bottom dweller. And I say that with us only being mid-pack in many sports lately. Maybe they would surprise. Who knows.

Reactions: crposton
This matters to me none. Conference affiliation is all about name brand in sports. I’m not gonna pretend that class matters to me Or in athletics at all.
What G5 has REAL name brand recognition other then Boise? When we were in the SunBelt, our attendance dropped because no one in the region knew or cared about Louisiana Monroe. The MAC has no teams in that category. AT ALL. The Belt might have 1 in App st. AAC has Navy, Army, and maybe Memphis and lately Tulane. That's like it off the top for me and I mainly follow G5.

What G5 has REAL name brand recognition other then Boise? When we were in the SunBelt, our attendance dropped because no one in the region knew or cared about Louisiana Monroe. The MAC has no teams in that category. AT ALL. The Belt might have 1 in App st. AAC has Navy, Army, and maybe Memphis and lately Tulane. That's like it off the top for me and I mainly follow G5.
That's exactly why (along with a 100% geographic and cultural fit) I'd prefer the SBC eventually. Yeah ULM is still there. But so is known App St and Marshall along with known to our fans Troy and So Miss. Plus CCU and JMU which most fans know as they have had Top25 rankings in the last few years.

Either way though I think we were smart to stay (we'd still have Stock if we had gone to the MAC) and we would be smart to wait things out a few years.

I do wonder if we should work a football only deal out with UConn till their Big East deal is up then grab all sports.

That's exactly why (along with a 100% geographic and cultural fit) I'd prefer the SBC eventually. Yeah ULM is still there. But so is known App St and Marshall along with known to our fans Troy and So Miss. Plus CCU and JMU which most fans know as they have had Top25 rankings in the last few years.

Either way though I think we were smart to stay (we'd still have Stock if we had gone to the MAC) and we would be smart to wait things out a few years.

I do wonder if we should work a football only deal out with UConn till their Big East deal is up then grab all sports.
SEC fans, who we get slighted by in the region care about none of those teams at all. It really doesn't matter what conference we are in. ULM is no different than Jax st. Troy is no different than LaTech. It's a battle of who could care less. Having a team in it that went to the NY6 bowl makes us better than the MAC by a mile. None of their teams would sniff. We also had a team beat the sh!t out of Auburn on their field 31-10. No MAC or even Belt team did anything close to that. I love have people say CUSA is a bad conference but none of those other G5 conferences did that much on the field. Tulane beat USC in 2022 and that was huge. Their coach leaves so now we'll see how it goes. It's not a traditional thing like the SEC has. We are just a G5 team. It matters to the people on this board and not too many other places.

A lot of G5 teams have a brand now - thanks to savvy exploitation of TV and social media. Schools themselves to include athletics and in some cases outside of athletics have brand position.

MT is not one of those schools for numerous reasons. Also, I will point you back to poor decision #1. Refusing to change the school's name.

The only thing we have failed at worse than Nick McDevitt is building brand identity and awareness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT