ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL New conference realignment rumblings

A lot of G5 teams have a brand now - thanks to savvy exploitation of TV and social media. Schools themselves to include athletics and in some cases outside of athletics have brand position.

MT is not one of those schools for numerous reasons. Also, I will point you back to poor decision #1. Refusing to change the school's name.

The only thing we have failed at worse than Nick McDevitt is building brand identity and awareness.
Name some G5 brands that SEC, Big Ten and casual fans really recognize. Go ahead, I got time.

Name some G5 brands that SEC, Big Ten and casual fans really recognize. Go ahead, I got time.

The problem is that if you want to separate yourselves from a morass of anonymous FCS programs that no one can recognize…..you have to stop calling up into your conference anonymous FCS programs that no one can recognize.

Delware is a good add. People know where that is. It has a defined geographical area, and a presumed fan base. There is going to be a flicker of some kind of recognition when you see Delaware on the TV - “oh, Delaware. That’s a state. Might be a big school. Didn’t juniors ex-girlfriend go there? Maybe I’ll see how they look”.

You can say the same for Missouri State.

Tarleton - just no.

It’s totally subjective and unquantifiable, but it is 100% real.

Tarleton, and Kennesaw, and Jacksonville and Sam Houston that’s 3 too many already.

The problem is that if you want to separate yourselves from a morass of anonymous FCS programs that no one can recognize…..you have to stop calling up into your conference anonymous FCS programs that no one can recognize.

Delware is a good add. People know where that is. It has a defined geographical area, and a presumed fan base. There is going to be a flicker of some kind of recognition when you see Delaware on the TV - “oh, Delaware. That’s a state. Might be a big school. Didn’t juniors ex-girlfriend go there? Maybe I’ll see how they look”.

You can say the same for Missouri State.

Tarleton - just no.

It’s totally subjective and unquantifiable, but it is 100% real.

Tarleton, and Kennesaw, and Jacksonville and Sam Houston that’s 3 too many already.
I don’t necessarily disagree with you but I do think Jax St and SHSU were great adds in the situation. JSU has a great fan base and travels well. SHSU has been competitive for a long time. Kennesaw and the hypothetical Tarleton are two I wouldn’t/wasn't excited about. At least KSU is close and should bring some fans. I think if CUSA were to add any one else it should be Missouri St. If WKU leaves I would say add EKU to replace them. I do agree it makes it easier to sound like a “big game” if we are telling people Missouri St is coming to town vs saying Tarleton is coming.

Looking more and more like the P2 will get their way. 14 teams for '26. Being sent to ADs to gain thoughts so it's past the CFP talking point stage.

3-3-2-2-1-(3)

3 B1G
3 SEC
2 B12
2 ACC
1 G5
3 at-large

I say the G5s come together to get a bit more $ for their portion. Then all the conferences join for one giant TV deal creating a path to the playoff. Would be awesome to somehow work together to be more regional and make a playoff so to speak for that CFP spot.

I don’t necessarily disagree with you but I do think Jax St and SHSU were great adds in the situation. JSU has a great fan base and travels well. SHSU has been competitive for a long time. Kennesaw and the hypothetical Tarleton are two I wouldn’t/wasn't excited about. At least KSU is close and should bring some fans. I think if CUSA were to add any one else it should be Missouri St. If WKU leaves I would say add EKU to replace them. I do agree it makes it easier to sound like a “big game” if we are telling people Missouri St is coming to town vs saying Tarleton is coming.

That's the whole gist of it for me. Missouri State vs Middle Tennessee sounds like a regional matchup of schools that at least have some name brand recognition, even if it's just from geography.

Tarleton might as well be the cosmetology school in a strip mall down by the dollar tree.

And we didn't already have 4 similarly monikered "who the F are they" schools already.

• Haha
Reactions: crclarke55
That's the whole gist of it for me. Missouri State vs Middle Tennessee sounds like a regional matchup of schools that at least have some name brand recognition, even if it's just from geography.

Tarleton might as well be the cosmetology school in a strip mall down by the dollar tree.

And we didn't already have 4 similarly monikered "who the F are they" schools already.
tartleton will end up in yhe wac once utrgv starts playing

In addition to those already offered all of whom are valid to varying degrees and for good reason below are a few more. Some of them aren’t G5 anymore because they got shit done.

TCU. The Horned Frogs are an epic brand in the midst of of a state with 20 other D1 schools (or what seems like it).

Louisville- used to be in this flippin league

Utah - once upon a time an irrelevant after thought in the WAC.

Cincinnati - another so called Lower tier team with a playoff/final four appearance.

UCF - Really impressed with the vision that was displayed in Orlando. They’ve built a huge following.

You’re trying to fight a losing battle here. I try to avoid telling anyone they’re wrong when most of the shit we talk about is nothing but opinions. But you’re dead wrong on this one. While there are a lot of P5 gumbo fans that only care about their own team and nothing else CFB didn’t grow to one of the biggest spectator sports in the nation because there isn’t casual interest in the broader events and dynamics of the sport. Moreover, the premise I referenced and raised here is about brand and that’s largely driven by media awareness not just whether Billy Bob in podunk Alabama who has never been to Tuscaloosa says Roll Tide 27 times a day and still can’t figure out where Middle Tennessee is. Sure that exists. But there are just as many on the other end of that spectrum who do. Bottom line is do good things and good things will happen. And then there is us.

A lot of G5 teams have a brand now - thanks to savvy exploitation of TV and social media. Schools themselves to include athletics and in some cases outside of athletics have brand position.

MT is not one of those schools for numerous reasons. Also, I will point you back to poor decision #1. Refusing to change the school's name.

The only thing we have failed at worse than Nick McDevitt is building brand identity and awareness.
I’m biased but the sports media department at MTSU is WAY too good to not tap into that. At least they’re starting to and I think just more people care now in general in regards to football with the excitement of a new coach

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
In addition to those already offered all of whom are valid to varying degrees and for good reason below are a few more. Some of them aren’t G5 anymore because they got shit done.

TCU. The Horned Frogs are an epic brand in the midst of of a state with 20 other D1 schools (or what seems like it).

Cincinnati - another so called Lower tier team with a playoff/final four appearance.

UCF - Really impressed with the vision that was displayed in Orlando. They’ve built a huge following.

You’re trying to fight a losing battle here. I try to avoid telling anyone they’re wrong when most of the shit we talk about is nothing but opinions. But you’re dead wrong on this one. While there are a lot of P5 gumbo fans that only care about their own team and nothing else CFB didn’t grow to one of the biggest spectator sports in the nation because there isn’t casual interest in the broader events and dynamics of the sport. Moreover, the premise I referenced and raised here is about brand and that’s largely driven by media awareness not just whether Billy Bob in podunk Alabama who has never been to Tuscaloosa says Roll Tide 27 times a day and still can’t figure out where Middle Tennessee is. Sure that exists. But there are just as many on the other end of that spectrum who do. Bottom line is do good things and good things will happen. And then there is us.
Boom!!!!

Great post indeed. And I think the best example there is UCF.

They did play in one BCS game but weren't consistently near the top 5 like TCU and Utah have been, who both played in multiple along with TCU in the CFP. UCF also made a few NY6 bowls (as has Memphis). They weren't even founded until 1960 something for Pete's sake.

They made a commitment to athletics and growing their school. Huge enrollment. Changed their name (as did Memphis). Marketing and branding. Deep in SEC/ACC territory against 3 state schools that have all won National Championships. Etc etc.

No it isn't apples to apples for us but there are A LOT of things we can learn from what they did.

Stability and money is what it is all about for everyone. It's why the schools left the PAC, why FSU will leave the ACC.

WKU knows they are only stable for another 5yrs, the length of the GOR. There is zero doubt the MAC is one of the most stable conferences ever. If the $ is right from a new media contract that the MAC is after as theirs ends after the '26 season, they'll bolt.

Sure we have the same timeline, but we got significantly more $ by staying than even WKU did. With BuildBlue in full gear, using that extra $ to restart FB with CDM, we can use that window to place ourselves in a better position and when that window is up, something that fits us better than the MAC. That SHOULD be the plan anyway.

I’m with you mountaineer. Betting in CDM looks good so far. WKU is a great pairing but the arms race is with liberty. High tide raises all ships.

Bad decisions have gotten us here but the right moves can be good for the future.

Bring “Ziggy” Siegfried back home to MTSU from Evansville. Time for change. Past time. Waaay past time.
Changing just the AD won't help. The farther we get with things, the more I believe that CM has been hamstrung for YEARS. McP has shown glimpses of realizing the front porch of athletics, but is he all in? I'm honestly not sure. Moving on from Stock was a huge huge gutsy move from everyone.

I also think if CM leaves that Lee deserves a shot.

Reactions: Hop45 and ewglenn
I saw UTK is starting a fund to prep for super conferences leaving the NCAA. Article mentioned 11 of 14 SECs schools have NIL set up to pay as employees and not scholarships student athletes.

The split and resulting reorganization for those left behind may be closer than we realize.

Reactions: BRaiderDave

That's 3 AAC open spots.

Got to get our stuff together ASAP in all sports (but particularly the big ones (Men's BBall and Football).

The smart thing would be a complete reorg of all G5 regionally, but if it goes like it's been going where conferences just backfill - that's our opportunity knocking.

Reactions: mtfblue
That's 3 AAC open spots.

Got to get our stuff together ASAP in all sports (but particularly the big ones (Men's BBall and Football).

The smart thing would be a complete reorg of all G5 regionally, but if it goes like it's been going where conferences just backfill - that's our opportunity knocking.
I’m with you. We have to get things in order now to get a possible last chance to move to a better conference like AAC. This article shows the dominos that will likely fall, and then that’s our chance to show we can fill the void. I am seeing some positive things with Mason taking over (what are we doing with basketball?) and the new facilities coming together. This would set us up when the time comes to show we have much better potential than our CUSA mates and could get a shot.

Jim is somewhat spitballing but he also is doing so based on what he hears. He's pretty in the know and is a good follow on X. He was spot on during the PAC collapse.

Here's my thing. I'd love for us to wind up somewhere else and it makes full sense for AAC schools to move. But like FSU. Sure the $ is an issue, but if the 14 team thing comes to be and the ACC gets two guarantee spots, would FSU rather go through GA, TN, TX, Bama and the like to get 1 of 3 spots, or go through Wake Forest, Clemson, and Cal to get 1 of 2?

I guess they feel it will wind up P2 and they want to get in while they can.

I just want us in a stable conference with a TV contract that nets $1m plus. Even if it's $1.2m. Make travel worth it because unless we are in the SBC, there will be travel.

Jim is somewhat spitballing but he also is doing so based on what he hears. He's pretty in the know and is a good follow on X. He was spot on during the PAC collapse.

Here's my thing. I'd love for us to wind up somewhere else and it makes full sense for AAC schools to move. But like FSU. Sure the $ is an issue, but if the 14 team thing comes to be and the ACC gets two guarantee spots, would FSU rather go through GA, TN, TX, Bama and the like to get 1 of 3 spots, or go through Wake Forest, Clemson, and Cal to get 1 of 2?

I guess they feel it will wind up P2 and they want to get in while they can.

I just want us in a stable conference with a TV contract that nets $1m plus. Even if it's $1.2m. Make travel worth it because unless we are in the SBC, there will be travel.
is it about access to playoffs or the 40 million gap in conference payouts for FSU?

is it about access to playoffs or the 40 million gap in conference payouts for FSU?
I'm sure it's both after being left out last year and their lawsuit, but is taking the $ more important than easier path to CFP?

I'm just glad I'm not the one making the billion dollar decisions.

Reactions: mtfblue
but is taking the $ more important than easier path to CFP?

Yes.

If it wasn't, we'd have programs dropping out of the P2 for an easier road.

The presidents and the money men couldn't give a flying rat's arse about competitive-ness when that many millions are on the line.

And the fact is, if that $$$'s gap is true, the little 2 are going to be so far behind the Big 2 that they're going to be glorified G5s anyway when it comes to all the stuff that money buys.

Jim is somewhat spitballing but he also is doing so based on what he hears.

I'll also say this - I'm not sure Louisville has a seat at a big table if things start moving.

I don't think the SEC has interest in a small-ish city school in a state they already have. They don't fit the B10 profile academically. They don't have a monster brand like FSU.

I really think if the ACC breaks up - it's going to be FSU, Clemson, UNC, and Virginia doing it.

I streamed the 2nd half of UAB at Memphis St. yesterday on my phone while at Curb watching Belmont curb stomp Evansville.
Andy Kennedy got tossed early in the 2nd half for being “Teed up” twice when the Tigers came back from a 15-pt. Halftime deficit. At one point they were down 24 points in the first half. UAB completely fell apart in the 2nd half.

I'll also say this - I'm not sure Louisville has a seat at a big table if things start moving.

I don't think the SEC has interest in a small-ish city school in a state they already have. They don't fit the B10 profile academically. They don't have a monster brand like FSU.

I really think if the ACC breaks up - it's going to be FSU, Clemson, UNC, and Virginia doing it.
There’s a lot of rumbles that Louisville is positioning for the Big 12 which makes some sense if they can get a few to go with them. Cincinnati and WVU would be interesting games for their fans.

There’s a lot of rumbles that Louisville is positioning for the Big 12 which makes some sense if they can get a few to go with them. Cincinnati and WVU would be interesting games for their fans.

That makes a lot of sense for them and I think would be a good home for them as well.

If the ACC Big 4 bolts, there's not much left in the ACC (Virginia Tech and Miami?). The B12 would surpass them easily. And you're right, with WVU, Cincy, that's a ready made rivalry and good geographic fit.

Big surprise the G5 will get little if any increase in the new CFP deal. And what can we do to stop it? Zilch. We don't do zilch then we get zilch.

Big surprise the G5 will get little if any increase in the new CFP deal. And what can we do to stop it? Zilch. We don't do zilch then we get zilch.

the G5 are the majority now, they should vote against it. it would be 4 to 5

San Diego State, New Mexico, BYU, Nevada, Boise State, Marshall, Cincinnati, Marquette (basketball), Gonzaga (basketball). Memphis (basketball).
BYU, Cinci are now P4's. The Big12 is a P4 conference. They are legit teams with legit fan bases which is why they moved up.

No one outside of us gives 3 sh!ts about Marshall, San Diego St. or Marquette. LOL. Memphis is whatever. Seems to dance on the outside edge.

Boise St. Football and Ganzaga BB are relevant but I can't think of many others that would move the needle in terms of the casual fan base. Especially in the backyard of the SEC.

G5's are deck chairs on the Titanic and I for one won't get bent too out of shape trying to rearrange them.

the G5 are the majority now, they should vote against it. it would be 4 to 5
Then they'd just push the G5 out of the CFP all together. May not be as simple as a vote, but they'd figure out a way to do it, especially if it means another spot for a SEC/B1G team.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT