ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL New conference realignment rumblings

Sommy

All Conference
Aug 2, 2001

Preparing for the eventual departure of FSU and Clemson? they aren’t going to sit around like the PAC did.

Then does the AAC raid the Sunbelt or vice versa? Maybe they should try to merge.

We go next to Murfreesboro, Tenn...

disperse-lesley-nielsen.gif

Not surprised at this at all. With Army being football only (other sports staying in Patriot League), still need someone to take up SMU's non-football spots. Be same situation that Wichita State has with the AAC. (Tweet has follow up comment that it is all sports/non football member) Also gets them in another state they aren't right now.

Not surprised at this at all. With Army being football only (other sports staying in Patriot League), still need someone to take up SMU's non-football spots. Be same situation that Wichita State has with the AAC. (Tweet has follow up comment that it is all sports/non football member) Also gets them in another state they aren't right now.

let me ask, does this push UMASS, UCONN to CUSA for football only? Delaware is making a lot of noise about attendance in the CAA. Could CUSA grab them?

Most of these "news" stories are rumor mill nonsense. The ACC might need to backfill but nothing has happened in a while.

He's been saying that for months. He constantly re-tweets "breaking" news. I mean he may be right, but no one else has said anything about the GOR since the P12 imploded. I do know there is major animosity among the ACC schools as the biggies didn't want to expand.

He's playing the long game.

Keep tweeting it, and eventually, at some point between now and 2036, someone will leave the ACC, and he'll be right.

Won't trickle down to us right off but this is the start. There have been rumors of the ACC/B12/P2 creating an alliance (in writing) financed by private equity. It would provide a scheduling model, regionalism (teams would move around ie Arizona to PAC), one major TV deal, ensuring 3 CFP bids each year, but operating under one huge umbrella. Who knows how this will affect that. It could mean my Mountaineers finally get in a conference with Pitt and VT again. Cause if FSU can get out, they won't be the only ones.

I don’t see Florida State having a case. That GOR with the ACC seems pretty robust.

They can look at that and stomp up and down all day but they are getting what the signed up for. Screw them and every other p 5 school.

FSU is all but gone from the ACC. All they’re doing now is working to reduce the amount it’s going to cost them to exit.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
To leave will come with a heafty price. And they are gonna pay it.

Leaving the league before the grant of rights expires would require any school to pay a hefty exit fee of three times the league's operating budget, which is approximately $120 million.

Additionally, the ACC would retain the broadcast rights for all the home games of its teams. The expense to reacquire these rights could far exceed the exit fee. This combined financial burden has generally been viewed as a deterrent to any school considering leaving the conference.

Back in summer/fall they began talking to some private equity groups. Word is the exit fee and rights would run over $300 million total. Maybe they found something, a loophole somewhere. But even if they did, it still will cost them big $ between exit fees, attorney fees, etc.

I get why they are pissed this year. And if they CFP was staying at 4 I could see spending hundreds of millions to get out. But this won't happen next year. At the worst they'd get an at large. I'd wait a few more years while still looking for an out, and get off cheaper. But that's just me.

Reactions: ewglenn
To leave will come with a heafty price. And they are gonna pay it.

Leaving the league before the grant of rights expires would require any school to pay a hefty exit fee of three times the league's operating budget, which is approximately $120 million.

Additionally, the ACC would retain the broadcast rights for all the home games of its teams. The expense to reacquire these rights could far exceed the exit fee. This combined financial burden has generally been viewed as a deterrent to any school considering leaving the conference.

They will get out of it for less that that. Yeah, they're going to pay a lot but it won't be the full GOR. One strategy they will likely employ is that ACC produced false or misleading claims about market conditions. Which will be somewhat easily proven considering the SEC and Big 10 basically doubled what the ACC got soon thereafter.

Be interesting to watch this play out for sure. Once they kick that door open and establish the way out, others will follow.

The ACC is on it's last legs right now and fighting for it's life.

Be interesting to watch this play out for sure. Once they kick that door open and establish the way out, others will follow.

The ACC is on it's last legs right now and fighting for it's life.
I agree, If FSU comes out of this paying much less than they're on the hook for, they won't be the last big name team to follow suit

Reactions: ewglenn
But where do all these teams go? There isn’t really a place. the BIG and SEC are already do big do they want to keep adding?

But where do all these teams go? There isn’t really a place. the BIG and SEC are already do big do they want to keep adding?
Purely guessing, but I'd bet there are some BIG programs that aren't crazy about the additions of the Pac-12 teams, same goes for ACC and SEC, enough to create another conference? Probably if you had teams like FSU and Michigan at the top

Purely guessing, but I'd bet there are some BIG programs that aren't crazy about the additions of the Pac-12 teams, same goes for ACC and SEC, enough to create another conference? Probably if you had teams like FSU and Michigan at the top
Clemson, UNC, and FSU voted against the ACC additions. The ACC wanted it because the ESPN deal requires 15 teams (counting ND) or it can be redone.

If this does happen, the B1G will go after FSU to get in to SEC territory. Then grab UVA. SEC grabs Clemson and UNC. Rest are up for grabs but B12 supposedly only wants NC St, Pitt, VA Tech, Louisville, and maybe Duke.

When this all happens (it'll be a couple years most likely) there will be teams left out just like the PAC2.

What I found crazy is that technically the contract ends in '27 with ESPN controlling the option but the GOR in '36. So the TV $ is only guaranteed for another 4yrs. And FSU doesn't even have an actual copy of the GOR. The ACC won't let them have it!

If FSU had Texas A&M money, they would be in the SEC or B10 by 2024.

It is interesting that Universities in the ACC allow the conference to negotiate multimillion dollar TV deals that include that school, but they don’t get copies of the contract.

Clemson, UNC, and FSU voted against the ACC additions. The ACC wanted it because the ESPN deal requires 15 teams (counting ND) or it can be redone.

If this does happen, the B1G will go after FSU to get in to SEC territory. Then grab UVA. SEC grabs Clemson and UNC. Rest are up for grabs but B12 supposedly only wants NC St, Pitt, VA Tech, Louisville, and maybe Duke.

When this all happens (it'll be a couple years most likely) there will be teams left out just like the PAC2.

What I found crazy is that technically the contract ends in '27 with ESPN controlling the option but the GOR in '36. So the TV $ is only guaranteed for another 4yrs. And FSU doesn't even have an actual copy of the GOR. The ACC won't let them have it!
I appreciate the comments. What is do not understand is why SEC does not want FSU. The FL V FSU continues and SEC tradition of great rivals. Then the SEC should take Clemson. This was another great rivalry continuing with SC.

I appreciate the comments. What is do not understand is why SEC does not want FSU. The FL V FSU continues and SEC tradition of great rivals. Then the SEC should take Clemson. This was another great rivalry continuing with SC.
SEC needs new TV markets, they have north FL and the panhandle area, the have SC no need for Clemson. They need NC, VA keeps them contiguous So UNC, NCSt, UVA and VT. If they take a FL school it would be Miami. gives them the Miami media market I believe that's the 9th largest.

Who knows. All rumors at this point anyway. UNC makes total sense as it gives them a state they don't have at all. But I'd take FSU over Clemson myself, but I don't get paid the big bucks to make these decisions. You'd think they'd want UVA for that same reason but culturally UVA is a much better fit for the B1G. Not sure VA T fits the SEC mold either. Miami is another outlier. Doesn't fit the SEC mold nor the B12. B1G maybe? Idk.

I've got my popcorn ready though.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
I have read this numerous times, from a variety of sources. For what that’s worth!
The SEC is already in Florida, so adding FSU does not expand their geographic footprint. If Florida/FSU want to continue playing, they can certainly do so.
Same with Clemson, SEC already has South Carolina, so some redundancy again with the footprint.
In the same articles they indicated the SEC “might” have interest in North Carolina and/or Virginia/Va Tech.
You can probably find a few of those articles out there on the internet.
Who really knows!

There’s no such thing as tv markets anymore. No one is buying cable packages.

This is about national brands and selling big matchups nationwide. The tv market is national.

FSU was #7 this year in TV ratings, with a bunch of dud ACC matchups.

They’ll be in any conference they want 5 minutes after they get out of the ACC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT