ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL New Coach Wish List

Reactions: RaiderDeez
Walden was definitely on MT’s list. This would indicate to me MT has their hire and Walden was informed it wasn’t him.
Or it's the fact that UTEP is only 200ish miles from where he finished his playing career and started his coaching career...

But either one could be true, and we'll never know the truth.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Why are other schools either naming their coach or in reported talks with their final selection, but no word from MT? I suspect McPhee making things as difficult as possible towards who he wants. Like he did with McDevitt

Or it's the fact that UTEP is only 200ish miles from where he finished his playing career and started his coaching career...

But either one could be true, and we'll never know the truth.
Familiarity makes sense, but everything MT has going for it (growing, proximity to talent, etc.), El Paso has zero.

MT is a much better job. He would have preferred this opening.

Why are other schools either naming their coach or in reported talks with their final selection, but no word from MT? I suspect McPhee making things as difficult as possible towards who he wants. Like he did with McDevitt

McPhee is the head of the slithering snake. He's a checkmark for the box. Nothing more.

I personally think we screwed the pooch by not getting him but I do like Mack too. I don't trust McPhee and Massaro and I think they will probably jack up this hire. UTEP got them a great coach and I knew he would get snapped up. He's too well known in the coaching community to be ignored. His energy and enthusiasm is off the charts.

Reactions: MTFAN61
McPhee is the head of the slithering snake. He's a checkmark for the box. Nothing more.

Optimist: Our guy was coaching this weekend and will be announced now.

Pragmatist: Massaro is conducting a thorough and methodical coach search, talking to numerous people before settling on our best option.

Pessimist: Someone is dragging us along to see if better options come up, we keep being told no or McPhee is screwing it up.

Optimist: Our guy was coaching this weekend and will be announced now.

Pragmatist: Massaro is conducting a thorough and methodical coach search, talking to numerous people before settling on our best option.

Pessimist: Someone is dragging us along to see if better options come up, we keep being told no or McPhee is screwing it up.
McPhee is running this. No doubt of that. We are missing out on chances to hire good coaches. I'm pretty sure Massaro wanted Walden right off and McPhee said no, we want to widen the net and interview lots of others. At this point, I'm not sure what the hell they are doing but I hope we lock it down soon. They had to have guys in their sites before firing Stock. I'll say this though, whoever works in that dept. should qualify to work for the CIA because them boys can keep a secret. No leaks at all.

Seems obvious it's going to be a Tennessee assistant at this point. Just which one.....Tim Banks or Jerry Mack ? or both?

Those are the only hires/options left available that will perceptually move the needle and be deemed as satisfactory. With the false reporting a few days ago that it was Tim Banks, one has to wonder if it could be anyone else at this point and they accidently let the cat out of the bag early? I think so.

These last few days have probably just been contractual and money discussions, assistant pool salary $$, etc. The fine details if you will. I am expecting Tim Banks to be announced tomorrow. Jerry Mack could come as OC if we want to match the 500k he's getting at UTK.

Very, very outside chance of an Elarbee or Anthony Jones Jr. if everything falls through on the $$$ side of things at the last minute. Those hires would perceptually be very underwhelming though which is why I view them as very unlikely. Optics are driving this coaching search, and taking the flagship school's DC or OC will be viewed as a win, perceptually speaking.

I'm still not convinced it's the right hire or we are even looking in the right areas. But too late for that now.

Last edited:
McPhee is running this. No doubt of that. We are missing out on chances to hire good coaches. I'm pretty sure Massaro wanted Walden right off and McPhee said no, we want to widen the net and interview lots of others. At this point, I'm not sure what the hell they are doing but I hope we lock it down soon. They had to have guys in their sites before firing Stock. I'll say this though, whoever works in that dept. should qualify to work for the CIA because them boys can keep a secret. No leaks at all.

We see this game of musical chairs every year. The final outcomes are usually in place before the resignations/firings are even announced. So either the establishment guys at MT are good at keeping secrets or the music's about to stop and MT will still be standing.

Well. Bottom line is this hire is probably a make or break for this program. This program has been adrift with a captain who thought it was still running on full power. If they screw this hire up then this program sinks and is done (in terms of ever being relevant). Finally removing Stock in spite of the contract was step one. Step two is harder.

There is a lot riding on this - and I would argue more so than any of the previous three dating back to Boots.

Yikes - if we pay $1.5M+ for a RB coach than that's a little scary. But the DC is less exciting on paper. Either one I would be surprised if that is the best we can do paying that amount of money.

We could all come up with a long list of better candidates if that is your pay range.

If those are our guys, so be it. I'll get behind them, but the excitement would not be there.

Seems obvious it's going to be a Tennessee assistant at this point. Just which one.....Tim Banks or Jerry Mack ? or both?

Those are the only hires/options left available that will perceptually move the needle and be deemed as satisfactory. With the false reporting a few days ago that it was Tim Banks, one has to wonder if it could be anyone else at this point and they accidently let the cat out of the bag early? I think so.

These last few days have probably just been contractual and money discussions, assistant pool salary $$, etc. The fine details if you will. I am expecting Tim Banks to be announced tomorrow. Jerry Mack could come as OC if we want to match the 500k he's getting at UTK.

Very, very outside chance of an Elarbee or Anthony Jones Jr. if everything falls through on the $$$ side of things at the last minute. Those hires would perceptually be very underwhelming though which is why I view them as very unlikely. Optics are driving this coaching search, and taking the flagship school's DC or OC will be viewed as a win, perceptually speaking.

I'm still not convinced it's the right hire or we are even looking in the right areas. But too late for that now.
Just a thought.. but in the event that we hire banks as head coach, what if he took the DC coordinator responsibilities as well and left more room to spend on other assistants

Just a thought.. but in the event that we hire banks as head coach, what if he took the DC coordinator responsibilities as well and left more room to spend on other assistants

Possible and I think in a few instances other schools have done that but I don't think that will happen. Banks will probably want a DC. Head Coaching + DC responsibilities is a lot to ask, especially for a first time head coach.

Reactions: ewglenn
Yikes - if we pay $1.5M+ for a RB coach than that's a little scary. But the DC is less exciting on paper. Either one I would be surprised if that is the best we can do paying that amount of money.

We could all come up with a long list of better candidates if that is your pay range.

If those are our guys, so be it. I'll get behind them, but the excitement would not be there.
Mack would be cheaper than Banks and Mack has been a HC. If you got both to come here.... Banks HC and Mack as an associate HC and recruiter, then it's a home run hire IMO. I don't think we are gonna be that savvy and Mack may not wanna play second fiddle. Banks is 51. Kinda older to not have been a HC before.

I couldn't agree more. If it's Jerry Mack we better not be paying more than $1 million. Even at 1 mil we are already doubling his pay which is more than enough. I would pay him 800k w/ incentives and call it a day. And I actually would prefer Mack over Banks, regardless of the money. With Mack I think we get the better coach and we can have a bigger assistant salary pool. That's really where things will be made or broken...the assistants we can hire.

Tim Banks does not move the needle or excite me. Scale of 0-10 Banks is like a 3. Mack is closer to a 6 or 7.

Also, if we are going to spend up to $1.5 million, I just feel like we could so much better than a Tennessee DC. But they may already be so far along that it's too late. I suspect the search has become very focused and myopic at this point. Might be too late to be bringing new names into the picture.

I personally would rather hire an offensive minded head coach, and at $1.5 million I'm putting feelers out there for people like Liam Coen, Charlie Weis Jr, Ryan Grubb, Kendall Briles, Warren Rugierro, and Alex Atkins. Even ask someone like Garrett Riley even though he just signed a big contract with Clemson, never know he might want to be a head coach. And I'm still talking to Bobby Petrino maybe he hasn't signed the Arkansas deal yet and wants to be a head coach instead.

Last edited:
After losing Walden to UTEP my hope is losing out for a quality full staff. Afraid we'll pay an arm & leg for an expensive coordinator & have little left for a good staff.

After losing Walden to UTEP my hope is losing out for a quality full staff. Afraid we'll pay an arm & leg for an expensive coordinator & have little left for a good staff.
That's gonna be the problem. If you hire Banks for a milly and then spend another 2 on staff, you could have something special. Banks at 1.5-1.7 is gonna bleed the tank.

I like the idea that MT is going to pay $1.5M for a coach - a 50% increase over the last guy, something fans have been begging for forever! and before it even happens it’s a problem because now they won’t have any money for a good staff.

Stop looking for reasons to be miserable, fellas.

After 18 years of Stockstill, over 20 years of McPhee, and Massaro somewhere in between those two, it's a hard habit for MT fans to break. Desperate for a coach to give us hope and provide a bridge of optimism about athletics until Massaro and McPhee are gone from this campus.

I like the idea that MT is going to pay $1.5M for a coach - a 50% increase over the last guy, something fans have been begging for forever! and before it even happens it’s a problem because now they won’t have any money for a good staff.

This. Regardless of the hire, if we are willing to pay $1.2 or $1.5, it shows major improvement in commitment. Something that has been needed for YEARS.

This. Regardless of the hire, if we are willing to pay $1.2 or $1.5, it shows major improvement in commitment. Something that has been needed for YEARS.
1.5 or higher Commitment money wise for an unproven HC with no prior HC experience is kinda crazy.

Then find someone who will. One willing to take the job with having the M/M duo as your boss.
They had that guy in Walden and let him wak over to UTEP for a 1 milly a year. Jerry Mack wanted this gig and M&M are stepping over him for Banks? You can't make this crap up. Other options are getting snatched up.

A Banks hire ain't doing that.
Being from UT helps, as the causals may check us out then, but I agree on Banks. Mack, absolutely. He's been my #1 choice since almost the beginning. Maybe a miracle will happen and we get both. It's like freaking Fort Knox in Murphy right now so who knows.
1.5 or higher Commitment money wise for an unproven HC with no prior HC experience is kinda crazy.
I agree. Being a former winning head coach should be requirement #1. But still, maybe Stock took lower $ for a longer contract. But we didn't spend that extra $ on assistants, that's for sure. If the admin has set a budget of $1-1.5m, that is an improvement in commitment to me.

Is Banks worth that amount? Atkins would be but I think Tulane or Duke is gunning for him. It's not about being miserable. This sh!t ain't difficult but somehow, these 2 knuckleheads make it that way whenever they do anything.

Reactions: Hop45

There's the issue. It's been needed for years. Just like the facilities.

Everything is always 10 years too late with this administration.

Yet another reason why this hire is so important. We cannot afford a bum hire. We're already a decade behind.

They had that guy in Walden and let him wak over to UTEP for a 1 milly a year. Jerry Mack wanted this gig and M&M are stepping over him for Banks? You can't make this crap up. Other options are getting snatched up.
I learned a long time ago, regardless of whether it was pro or college teams I follow, to let the process play itself out. Reading all these comments has provided me some comic relief each day.
People with no verifiable knowledge acting like they have a clue as to what’s going to happen. I don’t compliment this administration much, but they have kept a tight lid on this. With many coaches having agents now, that’s tough to do.
Not sure what options are getting snapped up? So we lost the AP coach? Supposedly.
Looks like Duke, Tulane & James Madison still open. All those are likely more desirable than us today. It’s possible the agents for the coaches on those schools short list are playing one school against the other. Happens all the time.
Given the current state of MBB, & the women’s team having plateaued, underscores how vitally critical this football hire is.
I don’t want a quick hire, I want the right hire. 2-3 more days is inconsequential in the whole scheme of things.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT