ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL New Coach Wish List

We ride at midnight if it's Eddie George

No F'ing way bro....

I can't believe we are even discussing this...

They cannot be this stupid?

It would be the most predictable, out of touch hire in possibly history. I can already see these morons thinking they can suck off some Deion hype by hiring someone who is perceived to be like him in Eddie George

Just one difference.....Deion won and won BIG at his FCS gig. He already proved that he knows what he is doing and can recruit enough to win....And even with all that being said....Deion still might flame out at Colorado despite his success at the FCS level....

Eddie George doesn't even have that. He's a loser at the FCS level. Why would he even be considered? You're replacing a loser with an even bigger loser.

I'll burn my diploma if its Eddie George
What he inherited at TSU he has done a great job. 2 games away from winning the conference this year, beat the conference champ. Has a player as finalist for FCS defensive player of the year the Buck Buchanan award. He actually did some coaching clinics to make himself a better coach.

He's 15-18 with 1 winning season and a losing conference record.

CM fires a guy for 3 losing seasons in 5 and a losing conference record in those 5, just to hire a guy who's record is the same? Just for name recognition?

Totally not worth the risk. At all.
I think an Eddie George hire would be taking a sizeable risk from an AD hire perspective unless we have enough funds committed in the assistant coaches pool to complement his strengths/weaknesses as a head coach. Not sold on his record based on his OVC performance at Tennessee State. He may give us some recruiting/fan engagement advantages early. But, such intangible will fade very fast if MT isn’t winning beyond 7-5 after his first year. Conversely, a losing record for two years would make MT a far worse job than what we have today. Even Deion’s cachet is diminished after a 4-8 season at Colorado. Deion is still good and has them presumably on the right track, but MT cannot really afford next year to look like 4-8. Our results need to be clearly evident in performance and culture from year one.

There is no doubt we need a strong character to coach the team AND raise some $$$ by reconnecting with the fans and rebuilding what has been lost.

Who in our "list" does that? Not the UT guys.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
What he inherited at TSU he has done a great job. 2 games away from winning the conference this year, beat the conference champ. Has a player as finalist for FCS defensive player of the year the Buck Buchanan award. He actually did some coaching clinics to make himself a better coach.

You can put all the lipstick on the pig you want.

He is largely unproven and has done nothing to warrant a serious consideration for our opening.

How could we possibly hire a coach with a losing record and mediocre history when we literally just fired Mr. Mediocre himself?

Be on the lookout for a press conference at 9am with a pep rally to follow. Narrowed down to three guys over the weekend. Two exciting and one maybe not considered by fans but exciting too.
It would be back-asswards to schedule a press conference and “pep rally” without having a coach in hand. If they had a coach in hand it would leak.

Also, isn’t it finals week? How many students do we think would show up for a pep rally in the middle of a Wednesday?

just caught up on the thread, seems like a whole lot of nothing so far but panicking.

Eddie George, Eddie Munster, I don’t care. We don’t have Stock’s bewildered frown on the sidelines anymore, and that’s good enough for me.

Personally, I totally think Eddie could do a good job here. He’s a big time name the casuals will respond to; he can open up recruits doors (TSU, at the end of the day, is an FCS program), and with the right staff, should have every chance to succeed here.

You can put all the lipstick on the pig you want.

He is largely unproven and has done nothing to warrant a serious consideration for our opening.

How could we possibly hire a coach with a losing record and mediocre history when we literally just fired Mr. Mediocre himself?
Not saying he should be hired, but knowing what I do. He has done a hell of a job there.

Not a name I even thought of because why would we hire someone that went 27-55 as a HC?

Valid argument, but it was Vanderbilt.

I wonder what his OOC record was there ? That might be a more fair record to look at.

Not a name I even thought of because why would we hire someone that went 27-55 as a HC?
He’s very well respected as a defensive coach. My initial inclination is he is not the “big personality” needed, but it’s hard to turn down the opportunity to hire a SEC level (whether HC or coordinator is up for debate) coach.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
I think an Eddie George hire would be taking a sizeable risk from an AD hire perspective unless we have enough funds committed in the assistant coaches pool to complement his strengths/weaknesses as a head coach. Not sold on his record based on his OVC performance at Tennessee State. He may give us some recruiting/fan engagement advantages early. But, such intangible will fade very fast if MT isn’t winning beyond 7-5 after his first year. Conversely, a losing record for two years would make MT a far worse job than what we have today. Even Deion’s cachet is diminished after a 4-8 season at Colorado. Deion is still good and has them presumably on the right track, but MT cannot really afford next year to look like 4-8. Our results need to be clearly evident in performance and culture from year one.
Better prepare yourself for a potential 4-8 season.

So what kind of crowds did Eddie's name bring to TSU games at Nissan Stadium last year? 30,000? 40,000? Oh that's right, about the same as what Rick drew here in the 'Boro. Yep, sounds about right for this administration. Why should we expect anything different.

The thing with Manny is he would be taking a guaranteed pay cut coming here unless we are paying at least $2 million. I can't find a current Penn St. contract for him but the previous DC was making 1.6 million, so Manny is definitely above that.

Manny has had offset language from his Miami contract that has paid him at least $6.5 million the last two seasons. That ends going into the 2024 season so all he will have is his Penn St contract. I'd guess it's $2 million/year but that's a big drop from the $6.5 million he was used to making.

We would have to at least match that $2 million or get within 5% thanks to no state taxes in TN for Manny to NOT take a pay cut. Would we do that ? Manny is also a top assistant in the country with a proven track record....he is destined for a P5 job if he is just patient. Why take the risk coming to MT and uprooting your family again ?

If he does come, he must really want out at Penn St. and we just happen to have an opening that makes a little sense for him. At that point, it would be pure luck that he fell into our lap.

I have no idea, but like I mentioned before Lane took a pay cut to go from Bama to FAU.

Some people would rather be a HC than more and be an assistant.

I have no idea, but like I mentioned before Lane took a pay cut to go from Bama to FAU.

Some people would rather be a HC than more and be an assistant.

That was a rare situation. Lane had palpable problems with his boss, Mr. Saban, and was going to be working somewhere else regardless. FAU got lucky.

104.5 just said it's Mason!

It's honestly a questionable hire. We could have done better, but also much worse.

I can live with it personally, but I do want to see the assistant pool. That will be the real decider.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT