ADVERTISEMENT

MWC getting blown up

Memphis, USF, and Tulane have been invited to the PAC. Do they stay or go?

If they do I would expect AAC to add Air Force and then maybe do nothing else. Possibly UNLV (but then they would need one more).

Update: Looks like they are going to decline. Big ramifications across the board.

Say goodbye to NMSU and UTEP. Judy probably itching to call Tarleton.

Also a nugget I found elsewhere. The AAC deal for $7m/yr per school ($3.5 for the former CUSA newbies), is through 2031. But apparently there is a look in clause in 2026 which could change things. So who knows.

AF rejecting AAC and staying in MW.

This is not at all how I saw this playing out. WSU and OSU have got to be so pissed.

This also kills any chance we would have gotten into the AAC, but probably is the most stabilizing result for the G5

Last edited:
This is pretty much the worst case scenario for MT. Not only will we be confined to C-USA, it's going to be even weaker.

What a day. Several MWC schools have spurned the PAC and recommitted to MWC including UNLV.

Utah State has apparently accepted an invitation.

Supposedly the MWC is using the money from the exit fees/penalties of the first four to sweeten the pot for the others to stay (and others to join). Also the PAC would barely pay 10% of the AAC teams exit fees with no media deal yet.

I still get the feeling some of this is like the PAC mess a few years ago. "We are committed to stay." Until the money is bigger that is. If the PAC gets a what if offer with teams X and Y, things could change.

I've seen the MWC is now shopping for a new deal themselves now. This isn't over yet.

Good grief.

We are right where we belong.

At least Tarleton is committing massive investments towards D1/FBS. They will have passed us by in 10 years if not sooner. You should see what they are building.

The lack of commitment, both from the University and the community, will continue to be the downfall of MTSU athletics. There's just not enough support there, across the board.

I wish I had the answers. But when the support isn't there it's just not there. Murfreesboro/Rutherford County and the middle Tennessee area as a whole takes the University for granted. And McPhee/Steve Smith have no idea what they are doing.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
What a day. Several MWC schools have spurned the PAC and recommitted to MWC including UNLV.

Utah State has apparently accepted an invitation.
Remember in the early days of the Sunbelt we hung like 76 pts on them in a game in Mboro? Both their tackles were ejected for giving our fans a double bird during the game! Now we are just 2 ships passing in the night….

Reactions: BigBlueBrad
Dumb move by Memphis from an on-field perspective. That P-whatever champ is probably going to get that G5 playoff spot more often than not and it would have been a better BBall league (especially if they manage to add Gonzaga).

But if the exit fee + additional operating costs >>> projected revenue increase, you simply can't make that move. They couldn't have taken a loss.

Meanwhile our “leadership” is probably sitting on their butts doing nothing to get us out of this mess except barking like a seal at the prospect that Hawaii could join C-USA. They would really love that huh?

Meanwhile our “leadership” is probably sitting on their butts doing nothing to get us out of this mess except barking like a seal at the prospect that Hawaii could join C-USA. They would really love that huh?
I've seen that too. I surely hope they (as in Judy and the presidents) aren't dumb enough to approve that by itself.

I mean fine, if they add more western teams to create a division/pod to help with scheduling and travel money. But Hawaii, NMSU, and UTEP alone aren't the answer to that. Now throwing WY, NM, SJSU, etc and you may be on to something. But will still take some serious logistical planning to make it make sense money wise.

I sure hope CM and Stewart are keeping their ears to the phones making every possible contingency for anything that may happen. It may wind up just losing our two western teams and staying at 10. But the crap could hit the fan too.

What happens to all of the exit fees and NCAA credits that MWC is owed if the conference dissolves?

If the remaining 4/5 MWC schools can keep it then they should merger with CUSA and use that money to cover travel expenses.

Man, these shifts are happening at an incredible speed.

What happens to all of the exit fees and NCAA credits that MWC is owed if the conference dissolves?

If the remaining 4/5 MWC schools can keep it then they should merger with CUSA and use that money to cover travel expenses.

Man, these shifts are happening at an incredible speed.

If the league dissolves the departing don't owe anything which the PAC is trying to pull off. Well they are trying to have their cake and eat it too even though they don't have the clout. They want it to dissolve without taking the teams they don't want.

There's way too much money being left on the table though for that to happen it would seem to me though.

CUSA has the worst teams in it by far, so any opportunity to bolt and leave some of these schools behind, then I’m all for it.

I prefer a conference that has some recognizable names, so I think we can line up (in terms of market) with NT, Tulsa, UTSA. Sorry, but being lumped in with SHSU, Kennesaw State, Jax State, it’s truly embarrassing. If they add Tarleton State, OMG. Do you think anyone outside of those markets even know where those schools are?

Atlanta is significantly bigger than Nashville and KSU is closer to Atlanta than Murfreesboro is to Nashville.

So MWC needs at least one more. I dare say NMSU & UTEP will be gone. Honestly I can't blame them. Much better fit geographically amd the exit fees are honestly paltry. MWC should have their own war chest soon. We all know the P12 suit will be settled.

Part of me wants a merger of sorts with west/east divisions just to solidify the conference, but that has about a single digit chance of happening. If the two do leave, I say stay at 10, move to 9 conf games and do round robin. Perfect for bball as well with 18 conf games.

So MWC needs at least one more. I dare say NMSU & UTEP will be gone. Honestly I can't blame them. Much better fit geographically amd the exit fees are honestly paltry. MWC should have their own war chest soon. We all know the P12 suit will be settled.

Part of me wants a merger of sorts with west/east divisions just to solidify the conference, but that has about a single digit chance of happening. If the two do leave, I say stay at 10, move to 9 conf games and do round robin. Perfect for bball as well with 18 conf games.

If I were them I’d take NMSU and UTEP and stop there for now. If they wanted 10 I would add Montana.

I agree. If they get offered, they should go. It would make CUSA go from Delaware to Houston. Knock around 800 miles off the conference and should bring in more money to the remaining schools as the pie pieces are less.

And a 9 game round robin sounds fine to me. Out of conference of one FCS, one P4$, one G5 and call it a day.

Dream scenario....they leave and we go to SBC. Hey, one can dream.

Thanks to Smith, McPhee, etc. we're probably 10th on any other league's list at this point.

They didn't understand the importance of building facilities. They haven't and still don't understand the importance of branding.

Facilities, name change, etc. all should have been done in the last two decades. And one thing to keep in mind Sun Belt isn't going to be looking for markets. They would be looking for competitors. Which one would you take? Us or Western? Our "leadership" has screwed this up so bad none of them should have a job with this Univ right now.

Everyone has. Wait until you see Tarleton State grow over the next 10 years. We all joked about "what the hell is a Tarleton?" when it was rumored they would join CUSA....

Just wait
Shoot. Look at UCF. They didn't even start football until 1979 and had no on campus stadium until 2007. Their first 1-A (FBS) season was 1996. Ours, 1999. And now they are a P4.

I had not visited the Sun Belt board ever since we left over ten years ago. So I visited that message board today and there was a poll in one thread

Who do you want to see in the SBC if Texas State leaves?
FIU​
2​
1.85%​
Liberty​
7​
6.48%​
Louisiana Tech​
17​
15.74%​
Middle Tennessee​
3​
2.78%​
Sam Houston State​
2​
1.85%​
Western Kentucky​
56​
51.85%​
Missouri State​
9​
8.33%​
Delaware​
12​
11.11%​

• Wow
Reactions: MT Glenn
That's as much of an indictment on the failure of our administration as you can possibly find.

Why? 1) Because no one pays attention to that conference and the teams in that conference anywhere else in the world more than on that board. 2) We used to be viewed favorably and well respected in this community.

Last edited:
Actually pretty genius. UNLV/AF get $22m, then others $10.3m. This doesn't include what will be settled with the P12 poaching lawsuit so the MWC can use that to assist in buyouts for whoever they grab and then go to market for a media deal. They won't get the $7m they had before but they'll get more than us for sure. We are at $800k, MAC $750k, SBC $1m.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT