ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL G5 Conferences and their Bowl Performances

blueraiderJT

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 15, 2006
After all of the bloodshed, here's how it all went down.

AAC - 3-3 with Tulane left to play USC so let's go with 3-4 (Memphis finally wins a bowl game.)

CUSA - 3-3 (MT, WKU and UAB get it done UTSA, UNT and Rice crapped the bed) Congrats to NMSU! Good for them. First bowl win I think.

MAC - 4-3 (OHIO, Toledo, Buffalo and EMU get it done)

MWC - 3-4 (Fresno, Boise and USAF get it done)

SBC - 3-4 (USM waits to leave CUSA before they finally have a pulse, Marshall gets the W and Troy gets one too.) Looks like the mighty SBC isn't all that mighty.

So the winner of the G5 bowl season is the MAC. Isn't that the conference a bunch of people on here didn't want us to join? Hmmmmm.

Now we get to play with powerhouses like Kennesaw St. and whoever U. CUSA wasn't the worst yet again. UTSA and UNT could have easily put us at the top. What this really shows the parity that truly exists within the G5. We think one conference is so much better than the other and they really aren't. If bowls are the pinnacle and true measurement, these results show how even it really is. Next year, it could be different with the better teams from CUSA going to the AAC but, I don't think it will.

Last edited:
After all of the bloodshed, here's how it all went down.

AAC - 3-3 with Tulane left to play USC so let's go with 3-4 (Memphis finally wins a bowl game.)

CUSA - 3-3 (MT, WKU and UAB get it done UTSA, UNT and Rice crapped the bed) Congrats to NMSU! Good for them. First bowl win I think.

MAC - 4-3 (OHIO, Toledo, Buffalo and EMU get it done)

MWC - 3-4 (Fresno, Boise and USAF get it done)

SBC - 3-4 (USM waits to leave CUSA before they finally have a pulse, Marshall gets the W and Troy gets one too.) Looks like the mighty SBC isn't all that mighty.

So the winner of the G5 bowl season is the MAC. Isn't that the conference a bunch of people on here didn't want us to join? Hmmmmm.

Now we get to play with powerhouses like Kennesaw St. and whoever U. CUSA wasn't the worst yet again. UTSA and UNT could have easily put us at the top. What this really shows the parity that truly exists within the G5. We think one conference is so much better than the other and they really aren't. If bowls are the pinnacle and true measurement, these results show how even it really is. Next year, it could be different with the better teams from CUSA going to the AAC but, I don't think it will.
The MAC’s wins are against San Jose St, GA Southern, Wyoming and Liberty (who finished on a 4 game losing streak). Their losses were to UAB and NMSU. Not exactly something to write home about. This also isn’t NMSU’s first bowl win, they are 4-0-1 all time. NMSU is the only university that can say they are undefeated in bowl games. CUSA 4.0 went 3-1 with the one loss being that Liberty team that lost by 2 points to the MAC Champs. We’re fine right where we are imo.

You play who's in front of you. SBC and AAC's wins aren't that great either. G5 is all the same. MAC still is more stable.

As for NMSU, I forgot about 2017. As far as 1935 - 1960 is concerned, I don't count take that into consideration. We aren't rocking leather helmets anymore. 2 bowl appearances in the last 62 years and we give Stock hell. LOL.

ADVERTISEMENT