ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL MT has player enter portal

MT was his only Div 1 offer, so seems he made best of it and is moving on. Coastal was only other Div 1 school that looked at him. However, they did not offer.

So is stucks philosophy not to replace departing portal players with another portal player?

Seems like the portal would be perfect to say to jaylen “don’t let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya” and replace him instantly.
A few WR have been offered. Now whether they jump or not, idk.

Well I see they’re burning the pavement up to sign some lower division people again and Tyrese has already committed to Maryland.

So there’s about a 120 WRs in the portal from P5 programs. Did we offer any of them??

I don't blame a player for wanting to better their situation and show their ability to compete against stronger competition.

That said, we see players withdraw from the portal if they don't receive an offer they like.

Last edited:
Well I see they’re burning the pavement up to sign some lower division people again and Tyrese has already committed to Maryland.

So there’s about a 120 WRs in the portal from P5 programs. Did we offer any of them??
WKU going to lower divisions to get a QB when there were plenty of P5 transfers has worked out for them just fine. Proven FCS/DII starter or a P5 backup who hasn’t seen the field since HS?

WKU going to lower divisions to get a QB when there were plenty of P5 transfers has worked out for them just fine. Proven FCS/DII starter or a P5 backup who hasn’t seen the field since HS?
You never let a point fly over your head. They find a match for their system which is important for the QB position but here's they key point. They also recruit P5 players. They just landed a WR from Illinois.

What's our record against them and you can tell me who's recruiting what better.

Get out a map and have MT as the center point and draw a circle around it for any place 4-5 hour around. Look at the portal and the best players available from inside that circle (hometown or current college) and draw up the offers. That's how I would start to look at the transfer portal every single year. Lots of kids just want to get closer to home and be around friends and family. You might get a bigger fish that way. Leverage your selling point - location the best you can.

For what it's worth I would still try to get kids outside the area too, but inside that 4-5 hour circle, just take a chance. You don't think Mom and Dad might help with that decision if they can see their kid play more often?

This is the way it's going and we are going to lose our best players, so we have to play ball with the portal. Lose some, gain some. If MT is their first transfer spot, and the following year if they want to transfer out again they have to sit out a year, meaning they are more likely to want to ride it out here.

We need to be all over this portal to upgrade our talent, but Stock is too old school.

Keep in mind...MTSU has signed 10 HS/JC guys for 2023. Obviously more can join the fold on the February Signing Day. I expect the staff to keep options open for the portal

You never let a point fly over your head. They find a match for their system which is important for the QB position but here's they key point. They also recruit P5 players. They just landed a WR from Illinois.

What's our record against them and you can tell me who's recruiting what better.
I never once said who is better. It is you who let the point fly over your head. My point was that players should not just be judged by what level they played at previously. That is what you were criticizing and that is what I was responding to. We had a former 4* P5 QB transfer and that didn't work out. We have had how many P5 transfer RB's come in here the past few years and how many of them have done much of anything? I also was not defending this staff as they have clearly not done a very good job. I am fully aware what WKU is doing, but don't you think there is a P5 QB out there that would fit their system? Obviously this won't always be the case, but a 2-3 year starter at a top-tier FCS school is likely just as good (probably better in most cases) of an option as a 3rd stringer from a mid-level P5 school.

I don't think there's one "right" way to build a roster - you can find FCS move ups, you can get P5 guys moving down, you can go HS, you can go JUCO. It isn't really where you get it, but just make sure you land the talent.

The new portal rules could be a boon to us - we might lose a good player every so often, but the new rules open up to door on hundreds of talented players that we previously missed out on. It's just another talent pool we can go fishing in.

At the end of the day, are we bringing in enough talented players from any source in order to compete at the highest level we can? The answer is obvious to me.

Last year's roster WKU had 9 P5 transfers that I saw as a previous school listed and maybe a few other transfers from other FBS schools. We had 6 P5 transfers and in my opinion 7 if you include one from Cincy since they did make the playoff, but we also had more FBS transfers overall. There may be some where the school wasn't listed, but that is based on a quick look. I am not arguing WKU is not doing a better job, but to say they recruit P5 and we don't when it is 6 vs 9 is just wrong.

MT has five and I’m not wasting my time to go count wkcc’s. I just know it’s a bunch and if it’s nine that’s almost double our number not almost the same. That represents 11% of their roster on scholarship vs 6% for us. Again nearly double. I’m also not counting Cincy - at least not til next year. They are in the AAC.

Bottom line is this comment about the QB I’m dismissing because that position lights us up regardless of where they come from. They obviously know how to evaluate players better than we do, and the fact that they have proven to evaluate talent better than us and are arguably twice as successful at pulling P5 players out of the portal just makes the point for me without having to say anything else about it. Using what western does as a way to diminish the point I made failed. End of story.

I’m actually surprised at how low the salaries of some of our coaches are.

That explains a lot too. We’ve got Rick at the top…Scott’s not doing too bad.

But man … the rest? We’re nearing just above low class for some of these folks if they have families.

Reactions: Sommy
I’m actually surprised at how low the salaries of some of our coaches are.

That explains a lot too. We’ve got Rick at the top…Scott’s not doing too bad.

But man … the rest? We’re nearing just above low class for some of these folks if they have families.
I read where Brent Stockstill makes $65K.

MT was his only Div 1 offer, so seems he made best of it and is moving on. Coastal was only other Div 1 school that looked at him. However, they did not offer.
Transfers are going to happen, but this one surprises me a bit. I would have thought there would be a little more loyalty considering the opportunity MT gave him.

My son said he saw that he is going to Virginia Tech.

WKU picked up former Tennessee WR Jimmy Holiday. Would have been a good replacement for Lane.

This one just bothers me because we were the only ones to show interest in him. The only team to give him a shot. I expected a little more loyalty, but I get it. If it had been a different situation where he had lots of teams wanting him I would have understood better.

He's no longer a Blue Raider so I hope VT loses every game next year. Again to all these guys thinking it's better at the next stop, you better be sure you can actually see the field where you are going and they aren't just building their bench up. I think it might be hard for Lane to crack the starting lineup at VT.

This one just bothers me because we were the only ones to show interest in him. The only team to give him a shot. I expected a little more loyalty, but I get it. If it had been a different situation where he had lots of teams wanting him I would have understood better.

He's no longer a Blue Raider so I hope VT loses every game next year. Again to all these guys thinking it's better at the next stop, you better be sure you can actually see the field where you are going and they aren't just building their bench up. I think it might be hard for Lane to crack the starting lineup at VT.

This is a bit of a puzzler.

Lane caught 69 passes last year for almost 1000 yards. VT's leading 2 WRs caught 37 and 22 - combined less than Lane caught here.

Virginia Tech brought in 7 new WR including Lane, including 3 transfers - Even if he starts and is WR1, he's not going to get the touches he would have gotten here.

I could see if you want to go to an offense that slings it around like a Tennessee or Freeze's offense at Auburn, but VT?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT