ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Portal Tracker

One of the ideas I've seen floated around is that football for example is no longer supported by schools...on paper.

So let's say a new for profit entity is started. By ESPN and FOX together.

All the B1G/SEC schools stop sponsoring football. Why? Well one, it allows them to reduce a women's sport that isn't profitable and still be Title IX compliant.

Two, that new entity then pays the school for the rights to their name, mascot, etc. The school leases its facilities to the new entity. Football players then are students of the school and employees of that new entity. They get paid, the school gets paid, the entity gets paid.

You have two divisions (conferences) that play for a title each year.

The rest of us either do the same thing on a smaller scale, or maintain the status quo a bit but with a CBA of sorts and standard negotiated payments. Most likely staying under the NCAA umbrella for football.
Then FCS keeps it just with scholarships, probably with a change in number.

Look at it this way. Several UFL teams are already leasing college facilities. Bowl games too. Is it really that much of a stretch to lease the name/image too?

Can’t wait for University of Alabama football team to relocate to LA for a new stadium. This is all insane.

I still have yet to hear how we’re going to get to what you guys have described if teams retain their association to the university. Either you have a separate business where the players are paid as employees or you have federally funded non-profit academic institutions. I don’t think you can have this both ways. Otherwise public universities will lose their status.
This.

I think you're taking this too personally.

Possibly. I do still want what is best for the kids and their futures. I don't believe in any way shape or form that the direction we are headed is what's best for them. Only the elites will see the big benefits (Hey, just like society in general, what could go wrong?). College athletes are still kids (I don't care what anybody says), and there's a reason college sports have been amateur in nature for over a century.

If these coaches were not making tens of millions of dollars and jumping from job to job leaving kids behind in bad situations we would have never gotten here. Instead of trying to give players the same ability as coaches ($$$$, freedom to dump and jump whenever they please), I would have rather seen a rule that punished and restrained coaches for frequently changing jobs.

For example, a head coach must stay at least 4 years at one University or he's gotta sit out a year (unless fired of course.) And assistant coaches must stay at a job for a minimum of 2 or 3 years (again, unless fired of course) or else they gotta sit out a year. I think something like this would have toned down the ridiculous pay increases also because it would force coaches to stay places longer and possibly lose their hot commodity status. Jobs would turn over less frequently, and pay would likely be more restrained over the long-term because of it.

But no, instead let's just open the flood gates, sue the NCAA every time there's a decision made we don't like, and throw a big middle finger to the people who fund the entire operation (fans and students.) Who cares if Middle Tennessee State and the G5 become glorified junior colleges ? It's only the blue blood university's that matter anyway, right ?

Bravo.

Last edited:
Possibly. I do still want what is best for the kids and their futures. I don't believe in any way shape or form that the direction we are headed is what's best for them. Only the elites will see the big benefits (Hey, just like society in general, what could go wrong?). College athletes are still kids (I don't care what anybody says), and there's a reason college sports have been amateur in nature for over a century.

If these coaches were not making tens of millions of dollars and jumping from job to job leaving kids behind in bad situations we would have never gotten here. Instead of trying to give players the same ability as coaches ($$$$, freedom to dump and jump whenever they please), I would have rather seen a rule that punished and restrained coaches for frequently changing jobs.

For example, a head coach must stay at least 4 years at one University or he's gotta sit out a year (unless fired of course.) And assistant coaches must stay at a job for a minimum of 2 or 3 years (again, unless fired of course) or else they gotta sit out a year. I think something like this would have toned down the ridiculous pay increases also because it would force coaches to stay places longer and possibly lose their hot commodity status. Jobs would turn over less frequently, and pay would likely be more restrained over the long-term because of it.

But no, instead let's just open the flood gates, sue the NCAA every time there's a decision made we don't like, and throw a big middle finger to the people who fund the entire operation (fans and students.) Who cares if Middle Tennessee State and the G5 become glorified junior colleges ? It's only the blue blood university's that matter anyway, right ?

Bravo.
the coaches have a buyout penalty, and now the kids don't have that. if they put buyouts in the nil or gor, this would slow everything down for kids.

Reactions: ewglenn and MTLynn
I'd like to see a structure for college football and basketball that is similar to college baseball. Professional leagues need minor leagues.

This goes along with where this thread is heading. Debated creating a new one. Mods, feel free to move this post.

This article gives some good detail in what the man behind the suits is pushing for and what most likely will be a settlement. How G5s fit in to it, who knows. He isn't after schools like us with a $35m athletic budget though.

Jeffrey Kessler is the lead attorney in what is shaping up to be the most revolutionary case in NCAA history.

Can’t wait for University of Alabama football team to relocate to LA for a new stadium. This is all insane.

I really wish we had a huge benefactor. I need to win the lottery cause my salary won't support it for sure.

This is big news for Memphis. Not sure if it will move the needle on conference realignment but they will definitely be able to sign some 4/5 stars.

Since they are looking for a QB, I wouldn't be shocked to Michael Wright in the mix.

Emannuel Mann.

If I recall correctly he came from a JUCO but didn't contribute much for us.

Probably didn't make the starting line up coming out of spring so not interested in sticking around. I have no idea how teams can build depth these days.

Damn, the portal moves are more interesting to me than anything. If only there were a way that there was some type of stock exchange to "put money on" player x that somehow ties into NIL and get a return on that.

Not sure what either side will do but Tra Fluellen's younger brother entered the portal. WR/CB that redshirted at TCU his freshman year this season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT