ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL MT has player enter portal

He must've gotten paid a hefty sum because he sure as hell isn't going there to win any sort of championship.

This is a bit of a puzzler.

Lane caught 69 passes last year for almost 1000 yards. VT's leading 2 WRs caught 37 and 22 - combined less than Lane caught here.

Virginia Tech brought in 7 new WR including Lane, including 3 transfers - Even if he starts and is WR1, he's not going to get the touches he would have gotten here.

I could see if you want to go to an offense that slings it around like a Tennessee or Freeze's offense at Auburn, but VT?
Money… if a P5 comes calling they’re gone. I completely believe tampering was there with Lane. No way he left that fast with not a ton of P5 interest and commit that fast without VT reaching out prior to him being in the portal. I whole heartedly believe they made him a promise if he transferred prior to him going in the portal.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
Money… if a P5 comes calling they’re gone. I completely believe tampering was there with Lane. No way he left that fast with not a ton of P5 interest and commit that fast without VT reaching out prior to him being in the portal. I whole heartedly believe they made him a promise if he transferred prior to him going in the portal.
They've got a 2nd yr head coach who is doing roster changes after seeing what he needs this past season. As he said "doing exit interviews " with players that don't fit or want out. New QB from Baylor, 3 transfer WRs so far.

The Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (I much prefer vPISu over VT acronym) is loaded $$$ so it wouldn't surprise me. I don't get how anyone can like those stupid castrated turkeys. I cringe everytime I see that orange which sadly is often living 45min away.

• Haha
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
I wonder if the NCAA will look into tampering more now with the portal? I agree it has to be completely out of control now. That QB at UNC supposedly had everyone after him, but of course he denies it.

Does anyone with half a brain think Deion isn't tampering? He and Freeze are probably the worst violators. But does the NCAA even care anymore?

I wonder if the NCAA will look into tampering more now with the portal? I agree it has to be completely out of control now. That QB at UNC supposedly had everyone after him, but of course he denies it.

Does anyone with half a brain think Deion isn't tampering? He and Freeze are probably the worst violators. But does the NCAA even care anymore?
Drake Maye denied some of it with UNC but did say a lot of schools reached out to his high school coach and others he knew. They may not have directly asked him but they were definitely seeing what they could find out.

Doubtful. You can't really police it short of a direct message from a coach to a player. I'm not sure they want to.

But there's also opportunities for staffs with drive and ambition - look at WKU, they lost a WR to South Carolina, and replaced him with a guy who was a 4-star guy from Tennessee. From a sheer talent perspective, they might have upgraded.

Where's our Lane replacement going to come from?

That speech works for Dabo but he’s got a Natty to go with it.😂

Clearly you didn't get the memo.

FBHawaiiBowlChampions.jpg

I mean we may have finished .500 and ranked tied for fourth in the weakest conference in America but hey you know rings for everybody.

• Haha
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
I mean we may have finished .500 and ranked tied for fourth in the weakest conference in America but hey you know rings for everybody.
I'm probably opening a can of worms asking this...but don't the players deserve those "rings" and the celebration that comes with it?

Should Stock receive an extension for this year? Absolutely not. Not for year 17 with 8 wins. At this point autos should be for conf champs only.

But those players worked hard and in my mind should always be celebrated.

TCU got throttled. USC lost to a G5 in their bowl. But those are both first year coaches who won double digit games. Should those players not be celebrated just because they didn't achieve their goals? Of course not.

Did we achieve all our goals...ie conf champ...no. But still.....
* only 41 teams out of 131 won a bowl
* only 70 finished with 7-6 or better records
* only 55 finished with 8 or more wins
* only 19 out of 60 G5 won 8 or more
* G5 vs P5 record was 14-73. CUSA 1-11
* only 16 out of 31 G5 teams won their bowl

Am I satisfied..nope. We should be 1 of 10 with a conference championship. Am I happy we are in the top 1/2 of FBS and top 1/3 of G5 records wise, yup.

No. Not in my opinion. Consider the following. If a team wins a conference title and also a bowl they don't get two rings. There's maybe a small reference on the "real championship ring" to the bowl for the conference title winners depending on how big the bowl game is. This is one place football is stupid vs all the other sports. What other sport can you basically crawl to .500, play some meaningless exhibition that isn't actually tied to anything more than finishing .500 and then get a ring for doing so. Maybe at the end of this year we can have the baseball team play Winthrop after they fail to make the NCAA Tournament and call it a baseball bowl. If they win that game they can call themselves champions and get a ring. This is what football does. It's absurd. Winning a bowl game is not worthy of a ring in my opinion. Rings should be reserved for true championship wins. A conference championship. Or National title.

No. Not in my opinion. Consider the following. If a team wins a conference title and also a bowl they don't get two rings. There's maybe a small reference on the "real championship ring" to the bowl for the conference title winners depending on how big the bowl game is. This is one place football is stupid vs all the other sports. What other sport can you basically crawl to .500, play some meaningless exhibition that isn't actually tied to anything more than finishing .500 and then get a ring for doing so. Maybe at the end of this year we can have the baseball team play Winthrop after they fail to make the NCAA Tournament and call it a baseball bowl. If they win that game they can call themselves champions and get a ring. This is what football does. It's absurd. Winning a bowl game is not worthy of a ring in my opinion. Rings should be reserved for true championship wins. A conference championship. Or National title.
I can respect that. I am one that is absolutely against participation tropies. I applauded my 7year old's FB coach last fall for giving medals each week to those who worked hard. Best offense, defense, and biggest heart. Not everyone got one at the end of the season. Some got more than one. And that is ok. (Suprisingly not one parent complained)

I see your point on winning a champ and losing the bowl and absolutely on the baseball reference. I too would say no to a ring for losing a bowl (one reason I fussed over the banners and decals on the equipment truck). If you didn't win it, don't celebrate it.

So I totally respect your viewpoint.

I don't have a problem with the players getting a bowl ring. They have accomplished some good this year, they worked hard for it, and deserve to have a good season be commemorated in some way. They bare no responsibility for the last 17+ years of failure.

The season by itself (which was good, not great) is separate from the overall long term direction of the program (which is shite).

I don't see this fixing anything.

Just claim "mental health" and who's going to be the bad guy to dispute that?
I highly doubt the NCAA will care…

he could transferred to App, Wake to stay FBS or a slew of FCS teams if it wasn't about PT. It was about being able to play P5 at VT
I highly doubt the NCAA will care…

he could transferred to App, Wake to stay FBS or a slew of FCS teams if it wasn't about PT. It was about being able to play P5 at VT
I understand that. The NCAA has cracked down on players trying to get to “better” schools (for playing time at a P5). So I feel like they’ll crack down on mental health situations.

Reactions: mtfblue
wkcc
WR- Blue Smith (Cincinnati)
WR- Jimmy Holiday (Tennessee)
WR- Ze’Vian Capers (Auburn)
DT- Marquis Black (Nebraska)
ATH- Snook Edwards (Illinois)
K- Antonio Chadha (Rutgers)
TE- Trevor Borland (Buffalo)

Liberty
QB Trey Lowe - So. Miss
RB James Jointer - Arkansas
RB Quinton Cooley - Wake Forest
WR Reese Smith - West Virginia
WR Errol Rogers - Louisiana
OL Jordan White - West Virginia
S RJ Roderick - South Carolina
S Brandon Bishop- Louisiana

MT? Punter from Mercer and QB from Presbyterian

wkcc
WR- Blue Smith (Cincinnati)
WR- Jimmy Holiday (Tennessee)
WR- Ze’Vian Capers (Auburn)
DT- Marquis Black (Nebraska)
ATH- Snook Edwards (Illinois)
K- Antonio Chadha (Rutgers)
TE- Trevor Borland (Buffalo)

Liberty
QB Trey Lowe - So. Miss
RB James Jointer - Arkansas
RB Quinton Cooley - Wake Forest
WR Reese Smith - West Virginia
WR Errol Rogers - Louisiana
OL Jordan White - West Virginia
S RJ Roderick - South Carolina
S Brandon Bishop- Louisiana

MT? Punter from Mercer and QB from Presbyterian
LB Oregon and RB NIU according to 247.

Last edited:
This is progress, but still falls short. I think they just need to move it back to undergraduates have to sit out a year if they transfer. Graduate students are eligible immediately.

That will still allow transfers, but give reason for athletes to pause and evaluate it a little more. Most of these kids seem like they are rushed into the decision, rather than thinking it through. In a few years we will hopefully be able to see how many of these transfer athletes actually get a degree. I imagine the numbers could be quite shocking.

This is progress, but still falls short. I think they just need to move it back to undergraduates have to sit out a year if they transfer. Graduate students are eligible immediately.

That will still allow transfers, but give reason for athletes to pause and evaluate it a little more. Most of these kids seem like they are rushed into the decision, rather than thinking it through. In a few years we will hopefully be able to see how many of these transfer athletes actually get a degree. I imagine the numbers could be quite shocking.
I'm good with 1 free transfer. Things happen. Playing time, coaches, family, or even majors. But I think except for graduate transfers, any after that free one should force a wait year.

Just saw on Twitter, Decorian Patterson entered the portal.

ADVERTISEMENT