ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL More conference re- alignment?

So, I’m here to make a second cameo since April.

It has been known since the day we moved to CUSA that another round of realignment would come probably around 2022-2023 as TV deals expired and the first iteration of the playoff contract neared end. Looks like it could be coming a year or so earlier.

That said what has this “leadership” done to position us? We have an AD that has been promoting a merger between the Sun Belt and CUSA instead of making us the best of the rest. We have a Prez that - frankly - I’m not quite sure WTF he’s doing aside from looking for his next boondoggle trip (basketball in Bahamas anyone?!). 🤬

I’m pretty sure a bunch of Chimpanzees could have made as effective moves and decisions as have been made at middle TSU since then.

Good luck to y’all still hanging onto the rails of this sunken ship.

It has been known since the day we moved to CUSA that another round of realignment would come probably around 2022-2023 as TV deals expired and the first iteration of the playoff contract neared end. Looks like it could be coming a year or so earlier.

That said what has this “leadership” done to position us? We have an AD that has been promoting a merger between the Sun Belt and CUSA instead of making us the best of the rest. We have a Prez that - frankly - I’m not quite sure WTF he’s doing aside from looking for his next boondoggle trip (basketball in Bahamas anyone?!). 🤬

I’m pretty sure a bunch of Chimpanzees could have made as effective moves and decisions as have been made at middle TSU since then.

Good to have you back if only for a moment. Spot on.

Reactions: coachchia

Don’t laugh and dismiss this and you’re not gonna like it but two names I was tossed this week for possible Big 12 replacements for Texas and OU…….Southern Miss and Memphis. I thought he was joking.

And welcome back. You’ve been missed. 😂

it will be UCF, Memphis, Houston and Cincy to give them numbers just in case Kansas to to the Big10 happens along with Iowa St.

Eventually it'll just be the SEC and all the other schools. I hate what I think college football is becoming.

Eventually it'll just be the SEC and all the other schools. I hate what I think college football is becoming.

This right here. That's what it is going to become. SEC breaking from NCAA and literally being a league of its own.

If Memphis gets the call to the Big12, does the AAC backfill the TN footprint with us?

No. There are far better programs with better resources and better recent successes than MT and the Nashville/Murfreesboro market.

Honestly, the AAC would not even think about thinking about adding us to the league.

Reactions: MTTim
The AAC will go with App st. over us in a heartbeat. Liberty will get a call. Marshall very well could and should if the Big12 even is a thing after all of this.

If I were the Big 12 I would go for Texas A&M. I know they probably won’t leave the SEC, but they are not happy right now. Also try to get an Arkansas telling them their path with OU and Texas just got even more difficult. Maybe go for Nebraska and Colorado since their moves have not worked out. B1G money is better for Nebraska by a little, but not by much. If that doesn’t work then go Boise State and someone like SMU. I would not go AAC like Memphis or Cincy.

The AAC will go with App st. over us in a heartbeat. Liberty will get a call. Marshall very well could and should if the Big12 even is a thing after all of this.
non of those schools are getting a call to the AAC. ODU, UNCC will get the support of ECU. One of the Florida if not both schools to replace if UCF and USF leaves. So those are the schools you need to worry about.

non of those schools are getting a call to the AAC. ODU, UNCC will get the support of ECU. One of the Florida if not both schools to replace if UCF and USF leaves. So those are the schools you need to worry about.
The AAC will be depleted. They can cherry pick and they are gonna pick ODU and UNCC over App State, Marshall and Liberty? LOL. That would be awesome. We could drop down or up to the belt and have the best G5 conference.

If I were the Big 12 I would go for Texas A&M. I know they probably won’t leave the SEC, but they are not happy right now. Also try to get an Arkansas telling them their path with OU and Texas just got even more difficult. Maybe go for Nebraska and Colorado since their moves have not worked out. B1G money is better for Nebraska by a little, but not by much. If that doesn’t work then go Boise State and someone like SMU. I would not go AAC like Memphis or Cincy.
The Big12 is not gonna have the money to entise other p5 schools to join. They will have no choice but to go after Boise St, BYU, Houston, Memphis, Cinci and UCF. They have 10 schools now. After OK and TX leave, they will have 8. They will need to balloon up to 14 teams just to stay relevent at all.

The other scenario goes like this. If the SEC goes to 16 teams, then the ACC, PAC 12 and Big10 goes to 16 as well and will pluck the remaining Big12 teams thus killing the Big12. I think that will happen. Then, no G5 advancement for anyone which is what those P5 a holes want anyway.

It's happening. Looks like OU and Texas are gone.

Likely going to the SEC, but sounds like Pac12 is gonna fight to land them too.

Big 12 is done. If Pac12 and Big12 were smart, they would take the top teams and create a new conference if OU/UT go to SEC.

I think there's gonna be teams that are currently Power 5 that end up left out and swooped up by G5 leagues before all is said and done. Schools like TCU, Utah, West Virginia, etc. could be the odd man out and might be returning to a G5 league.

I don't think we will see the Big12 bring in a bunch of programs to try and stay afloat. More likely it just dies.

Last edited:
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ec-eight-takeaways-potentially-seismic-change
Sources told ESPN there are myriad reasons for the unexpected decision, including dwindling home attendance for Big 12 games, recruiting, recent federal court rulings regarding amateurism and name, image and likeness, and, of course, money.

According to federal tax records, the 10-team Big 12 distributed about $409 million to its members in fiscal year 2020, or about $37 million to $40.5 million per school. That was a slight decrease from the $38.8 million the league distributed from fiscal 2018; the drop was caused by the pandemic.

It's happening. Looks like OU and Texas are gone.

Likely going to the SEC, but sounds like Pac12 is gonna fight to land them too.

Big 12 is done. If Pac12 and Big12 were smart, they would take the top teams and create a new conference if OU/UT go to SEC.

I think there's gonna be teams that are currently Power 5 that end up left out and swooped up by G5 leagues before all is said and done. Schools like TCU, Utah, West Virginia, etc. could be the odd man out and might be returning to a G5 league.

I don't think we will see the Big12 bring in a bunch of programs to try and stay afloat. More likely it just dies.
I think this is what will happen. OU and Texas notified the conference today they were leaving when the gor expires in 2025.
I think the AAC will be the most hurt over this because there will not be a P5 conference for any of their current members to jump to.
As Coach Jackie Sherril said years ago we are moving to 4 super conferences. If you are not part of the P5 now you will not be going forward.

As Coach Jackie Sherril said years ago we are moving to 4 super conferences. If you are not part of the P5 now you will not be going forward.
Yeah, I'm wondering how many of the current p5 schools will be kicked to the curb.

Reactions: mtfblue
My spidey sense tells me Massarro would rather put all of our money in basketball and baseball. I sense a Big South conference coming to compete with the Big East.

For most people, sports are nothing more than entertainment. It's much better if you can find something productive to do with your time.
Cost and time has a lot to do with it too. Going to a sporting event these days is extremely expensive for a family.

Also, everything can be seen. The days of exclusivity are gone. Teams had better have a product to sell or they aren't going to have anyone interested these days.

My spidey sense tells me Massarro would rather put all of our money in basketball and baseball. I sense a Big South conference coming to compete with the Big East.

Four years too late...we had brand recognition, back to back tournament wins, and a ton of momentum. Now, we bring nothing to the table in basketball. Another missed opportunity. Too many to count.

Wouldn't surprise me with the ASUN staking schools that want to move to FBS. You will get reunited with EKU, Jacksonville St, Liberty and others.

I think interest in sports with new generations is dwindling.
I agree. Attention spans are unbelievably short. I remember my first college football game as a kid. I was mesmerized by all the things going on on the sidelines between plays. Now people have to be bombarded with an overly caffeinated MC yelling on the mic in downtime. We're devolving. Outside of television quality, is anything improving? Geez, I'm not old enough to be thinking this stuff. Ha! As Jerry Seinfeld said, "To me, America used to be a place that made steel, and cars, and had giant department stores. Now, basically, we produce amateur talent and people who judge amateur talent."

Reactions: MT Glenn
Agree. Sad part is with all the focus/money towards the BB program they still have the same number of NCAA championships as MT. Zero.
Yep. And Calipari had to convince an AD and President to admit Derrick Rose for one season in order to get the 2nd title game appearance and eventual NCAA probation.

They finally got a billionaire former Tiger Basketball player and his Memphis St. alumna wife involved again, 20 years after they fired his teammate, Larry Finch. The former player was coaching basketball at CBHS before he married Bud Walton’s daughter and played with Finch on the Finals team that lost to UCLA in ‘72-‘73.

Last edited:
Ok....so the question is, how does all this effect us? Thats really all Im concerned about.

My guess, Big12 takes UCF, UC, Houston, Boise St, SMU and BYU.

AAC backfills with Liberty, App State, UAB and Marshall.

So, CUSA picks up ULL , Coastal, Texas State, and goes ahead and adds two more in GA State, GA Southern.

Ok....so the question is, how does all this effect us? Thats really all Im concerned about.

So, CUSA picks up ULL , Coastal, Texas State, and goes ahead and adds two more in GA State, GA Southern.
To answer your initial question….. we’re screwed. No local media interest/exposure to speak of, a program on life support (checks from student fees) and a fanbase that wouldn’t/couldn’t gather 100 people to show up for the Blitzes.
Throw in coaches who don’t recruit, show up publicly looking like they just crawled out of bed, are overpaid to “compete”, and to them winning is an afterthought.

I wouldn’t assume sun belt teams will leave the SBC for CUSA, especially if Marshall and UAB leave. I don’t think it goes like this. I think the big12 and pac12 merge and take the best remaining programs. The rest are left out

we end up with more G5 programs after this, not more P5. They are gonna trim the fat.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT