ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL More conference re- alignment?

This is the next step toward a subset of current P5 schools splitting from the NCAA.

I think we would be better off dropping back to FCS now than ending up in an odd post-apocalyptic G5 conference.

I agree. Attention spans are unbelievably short. I remember my first college football game as a kid. I was mesmerized by all the things going on on the sidelines between plays. Now people have to be bombarded with an overly caffeinated MC yelling on the mic in downtime. We're devolving. Outside of television quality, is anything improving? Geez, I'm not old enough to be thinking this stuff. Ha! As Jerry Seinfeld said, "To me, America used to be a place that made steel, and cars, and had giant department stores. Now, basically, we produce amateur talent and people who judge amateur talent."

Excellent assessment of life in 2021 vs 1971. Or for that matter, just about ten years ago when traditions and fragments of halcyon days where alumni deeply cared. Nowadays, everything is fast fashion, fast food, and vapid affinity. It been about 29 years since I got my MT degree and am saddened what happened to the Murfreesboro that I knew every time I drive anywhere---the MT I knew. The MT my dad worked for 23 years until his retirement. The MTSC my dad graduated from in 1954 and 1956 (he's 88 now)--all just fading memories. On the day I was born, Murfreesboro was listed as 26,370 and city did not reach I-24 at any point. Most everything was located on Broad Street or immediately around Public Square--maybe a little traffic on Memorial and Clark (e.g. Uhaul was Kroger). Oh yes, there was Mercury Plaza (now almost completely a ghost center) and College Heights as convenient neighborhood shopping districts. In 50 years, we've lost far more than we gained in my view. Even the steel water tower west of Campus on Bell Street, old Rutherford Hospital, and Murfreesboro Little Theatre--all gone. Even Pinnacle Bank's five story building (old Murfreesboro Federal/Calvary) has become a memory in the name of redevelopment.

The athletics part of this is the Texas/OU move to the $EC cascades into everything else. Loyalties out the window for future prospects of gigantic $$$. It WILL affect us. Whether TV revenue, conference mates, travel, or perhaps even a demotion to something like FCS and the Ohio Valley Conference or all the above...the fan engagement and quality will not be what it should. We will lose our visibility and cachet. I'm there to watch the game, being true to my alma mater as a fan, or socialize with people I know. As each passing year goes by, vision of pleasant memories gets fuzzier and dimmer (and I'm not talking about my physical condition...just yet). The idea of student athlete has passed into paid mercenaries subsidized by NIL monies. Eventually this will morph into some sort of recognized stipend or salary plan. The love of the game or sport will be a sideline when we look back in 2034 or 2050 as a quaint feeling one use to have. Maybe, and just maybe even the idea of going to college will look very different? Will we need campuses on 600 acre footprints by our 150th anniversary in 2061? I don't know, but what I do know new alignment will mean less exposure for us and most other G-5 schools simply because of the haves/have nots in recruiting and budgets. And, that effect trickles to alumni giving and bequeaths for endowments...money that we badly need and our leadership fails to produce. Schools like Alabama, Michigan, UTK, Vandy, Stanford, even Rice -- all okay because of their large fan base or large endowments acquired during the 20th century.

Visibility. It's the same principle why one sees Dollar Generals at nearly every major crossroad in Middle Tennessee vs. Mom and Pop General Store or Grocery that used to dot the countryside along US 41, Tennessee 96, or other state highways. Uniqueness and pageantry has melted away except for the very largest schools like Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, Southern California, etc. who has visibility. MT is analogous to the mom and pop grocer: we either have to adapt to a quik-mart or change merchandising to have a modicum of success to what we can afford. Or, we may find ourselves where we are looking like the old OVC in C-USA or even going back to the OVC and facing schools like Tenn. Tech and UT-Southern in a few years because the student fees no longer support FBS level sports or what's known as C-USA.

I'm afraid we had our chance at the big leagues, but we royally blew it during the 2010's. Oh, well it was very fun while it lasted. Unfortunate for the generation ahead and that's what I lament.

Reactions: Blue_H
This sucks. If MTSU had the right leadership in place the past 5-7 years or so it could have been in place for a move up. Now the Blue Raiders will be stuck in an even more depleted than now CUSA or other conference of leftovers.

Reactions: coachchia
Listen, there's been enough of the gloom and doom, even though I dont think it is completely off base.

Its time to figure out how to play this. We all know sh*t stinks in the Boro. Play your cards.

As bad as we think we have it, there are programs exponentially way worse off.

IMO, the best play for us, CUSA, is to poach the Belt for their best teams. Right? We're not dead, (yet) dont act like it. We do have some big things working for us. Location, size, former success, potential market..etc. Grow a pair gents. This needs to be used as a spring board, not a head stone.

Sick of the "no way out" mentality around here.

Listen, there's been enough of the gloom and doom, even though I dont think it is completely off base.

Its time to figure out how to play this. We all know sh*t stinks in the Boro. Play your cards.

As bad as we think we have it, there are programs exponentially way worse off.

IMO, the best play for us, CUSA, is to poach the Belt for their best teams. Right? We're not dead, (yet) dont act like it. We do have some big things working for us. Location, size, former success, potential market..etc. Grow a pair gents. This needs to be used as a spring board, not a head stone.

Sick of the "no way out" mentality around here.
Well, I guess you’re right judging from the Athlon pre-season 130 rankings. At 117, there are 13 other FBS schools who are projected to be worse than mTSU.

Glass is half full.

Damn UNT is really taking off on athletic facilities. So being a commuter school can still raise funds?!

M&M have done NOTHING to position or enhance MT's appeal over the last few years for this round of realignment that was inevitable. A disgrace.
I believe that Massaro's hands are tied because the only thing mcphee cares about is the APR...

Reactions: coachchia
The sunbelt is a strong conference now. If the AAC and MWC got raided, the SBC becomes number1 in the G5 world. No doubt.

Losing the law school is the main reason I’m pulling back. It wasn’t just the law school. It was how we just took it and cowered away. I knew then that we wouldn’t ever be anything more than middle of the road. Another topic … another day.

and it's done. Texas and OU will officially be SEC members starting 2025.

We will see. The March madness tournament is the biggest money maker of them all. If they send all the have nots to a lower division then how does the 64 team bracket work ?

they better tread lightly because relegating the G5 to a lower division will have unwanted ripple effects. I personally will have no interest in a Power5 only division where they only play each other. And I’m sure several others will feel the same.

We will see. The March madness tournament is the biggest money maker of them all. If they send all the have nots to a lower division then how does the 64 team bracket work ?

they better tread lightly because relegating the G5 to a lower division will have unwanted ripple effects. I personally will have no interest in a Power5 only division where they only play each other. And I’m sure several others will feel the same.
True, about March madness, but that’s only because the NCAA gets nothing from college football playoff/bowls. That money goes to the conferences directly. NCAA baseball is #2 in revenue for the ncaa.

If the NCAA can tap into college football post season cash with a 12-16 team sanctioned playoff with P5 schools, they won’t need the have nots anymore.

A few moves on this topic since we last discussed. Alliance, OU and T to SEC next year.

Obviously speculation but lots of talk of the Big12 adding 4 teams from AAC and/or BYU. I keep seeing Memphis in that conversation.

I view everything in the sports-verse on how it will affect MT. SO, if Memphis does go to the Big12, I wonder if AAC wants to backfill the TN recruiting ground (as incredibly strong as it is in Middle TN) with MT. Unlikely, but plausible.

The question is though, with the top 4 AAC teams gone (Cincy, UCF, Memphis(?), Houston, is that so much better than CUSA?

AAC would probably backfill with UAB, App State, Marshall and one other. If that is the case, then yes AAC is a much better conference then the leftover dregs of CUSA

To me, the only way we could get in the AAC is if Memphis is one of the Big12 takes.

I don't see MT making a move with the current three ring (ring? ring? that word is unfamiliar) circus in town. First of all the top two sports are a complete utter sh*t show and facilities only marginally better, if at all, since the move from 1AA 20+ years ago.

If MT lands anywhere it will be in an amalgamation or retrenchment of SBC and CUSA schools geographically, and then we may just scrape in ahead of UL-Monroe...

Almost every realignment decision to this date has been driven by TV deals with a side order of recruiting.

BYU to Big 12 or Pac 12 makes sense.
Houston to Big 12 makes sense
UCF (and maybe USF) to ACC (if they go 16) or Big 12 is possible as well.

AAC will backfill with UNT & FAU / FIU

Liberty has poured $$$ into athletics to play with the "big boys." ACC and AAC are unlikely to want Liberty after the Falwell fallout so :

Who invites Liberty first? CUSA or SBC?

I've said it before and I'll say again : CUSA and SBC would be better served through a geographic-based realignment. Follow the geographic model of MOST FCS conferences to save $$$.

Reactions: Brew_Raider
I don't see MT making a move with the current three ring (ring? ring? that word is unfamiliar) circus in town. First of all the top two sports are a complete utter sh*t show and facilities only marginally better, if at all, since the move from 1AA 20+ years ago.

If MT lands anywhere it will be in an amalgamation or retrenchment of SBC and CUSA schools geographically, and then we may just scrape in ahead of UL-Monroe...
I'm expecting the administration to put forth maximum effort to ensure that the school secures a spot in the lowest-rated conference.

But, no worries, TSU-Murfreesboro has the Meharry fast track program, beer, AND chocolate milk to soften the blow.

A few moves on this topic since we last discussed. Alliance, OU and T to SEC next year.

Obviously speculation but lots of talk of the Big12 adding 4 teams from AAC and/or BYU. I keep seeing Memphis in that conversation.

I view everything in the sports-verse on how it will affect MT. SO, if Memphis does go to the Big12, I wonder if AAC wants to backfill the TN recruiting ground (as incredibly strong as it is in Middle TN) with MT. Unlikely, but plausible.

The question is though, with the top 4 AAC teams gone (Cincy, UCF, Memphis(?), Houston, is that so much better than CUSA?

Probably, but its not exponential.
The big 12 is no longer relevant as a football conference no matter who they add.

The SEC dominates and the new alliance excludes the B12. A few schools may catch on to another P5 conference, but the B12 is now a G5 conference.

PAC 12 confirmed they are NOT expanding, which solidifies that Big12 has to add schools to survive. BYU is one, Houston stays in AAC.

My scenario of UC, BYU, Memphis and UCF going to Big12 just got a lot more likely. AAC has to backfill.

Who do they take? ESPN owns the AAC media rights. Markets do matter there. UAB is probably in the best spot. 1) Recent success 2) Good Academics 3) Large Market.

From there its probably North Texas, FAU/FIU, then probably us.

PAC 12 confirmed they are NOT expanding, which solidifies that Big12 has to add schools to survive. BYU is one, Houston stays in AAC.

My scenario of UC, BYU, Memphis and UCF going to Big12 just got a lot more likely. AAC has to backfill.

Who do they take? ESPN owns the AAC media rights. Markets do matter there. UAB is probably in the best spot. 1) Recent success 2) Good Academics 3) Large Market.

From there its probably North Texas, FAU/FIU, then probably us.
Even if the B12 survives, it’s no longer a power conference. It’s the P4 and G6 now.

Even if the fill with UM, UC, UCF and UH or BYU, they are still ahead of the PAC12
Maybe true, but they are not in the alliance just announced & the SEC has no need to partner. I don’t see the 57 teams in power positions wanting to share the $$$ after 2025. None of the schools mention bring huge TV ratings for football. The B12 will be a solid conference, but lose its status at the top with the other big boys.

Even if they add teams, the Big 12 is now just competition for the Mountain West. If C-USA loses teams due to this, hopefully it will cause a geographical realignment with the Sun Belt. That's probably the best possible outcome for us.

Maybe true, but they are not in the alliance just announced & the SEC has no need to partner. I don’t see the 57 teams in power positions wanting to share the $$$ after 2025. None of the schools mention bring huge TV ratings for football. The B12 will be a solid conference, but lose its status at the top with the other big boys.
without expansion, and Gee said he voting against it and the SEC didn't want to expand. The alliance is nothing more than to keep ESPN from controlling the TV for the playoffs. They have no real agenda, the PAC12 is the one pushing. Do you thing the ACC is going to give up scheduling the SEC to bring in a PAC12 team....not happening

without expansion, and Gee said he voting against it and the SEC didn't want to expand. The alliance is nothing more than to keep ESPN from controlling the TV for the playoffs. They have no real agenda, the PAC12 is the one pushing. Do you thing the ACC is going to give up scheduling the SEC to bring in a PAC12 team....not happening
That ESPN TV money will push the Big 12 to irrelevance and essentially relegate them to G5 status.

The 4 conferences controlling money and access in football will be the SEC, ACC, B10 and PAC12.

Like Glen said, the B12 will be equal to the Mt West or AAC.

Reactions: MT Glenn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT