ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL More conference re- alignment?

All the WVU boards have talk of major B12 expansion. Like to the point of one whole conference disappearing when it is all said and done. Jumping to 16 teams and creating a huge gap between them and the next conference below. Essentially creating the first nationwide conference. Part of that is WVU homerism with Luck essentially running that part of it.

When it is all said and done, those at the bottom of the current G5 might as well just go back to FCS. Irrelevant will be using a nice word.

All the WVU boards have talk of major B12 expansion. Like to the point of one whole conference disappearing when it is all said and done. Jumping to 16 teams and creating a huge gap between them and the next conference below. Essentially creating the first nationwide conference. Part of that is WVU homerism with Luck essentially running that part of it.

When it is all said and done, those at the bottom of the current G5 might as well just go back to FCS. Irrelevant will be using a nice word.

I think that a few current B12 teams will push to catch on with the other 4 power conferences and those 60 total “power” teams will essentially split to form their own division. The remnants of the B12 plus all the G5 schools will be relegated.

The one thing the B12 doesn’t have now, even with expansion, is a national football program. That’s the driving force. There are quality programs in the B12, but none that demand inclusion into the deals the SEC, B10, ACC & PAC will be making for TV rights in 2025 and beyond. It’s a screw job to WVU and Oklahoma St, because they are on the outside and some P5 schools (looking at the west end) are just lucky to be in the right P5 conference.

I miss the days of smaller regional conferences. For you, I hope that WVU can catch on with the ACC. I have the feeling the B12 will become a better version of the AAC, but will be a G6 conference based solely on the deals the other P4 schools make.

No one wants the B12 leftovers.

The best thing they can do it what you've said - gobble up all the G5 schools with any promise and get to 16, and then dare the other conferences to relegate them. Lets face it, you take the B12 and add the best of g5, you've got a better conference top to bottom than the P12 and the ACC. TV content is driving this, and while they won't be making money like the B10 or SEC, networks have to fill slots with someone, and if the reconstituted B12 can be that filler, that's better than what they have now.

Sadly for MT, I see no way we're in consideration for any of those B12 expanded slots. And sadder, I think we could have had we progressed from where we were a few years ago. Instead we got hijacked by Stock and Massaro and a general lack of ambition.

On the bright side, I look at all the other CUSA schools, and I don't see anyone getting plucked either, so as long as we're all together there's a chance.

After some more thought, this could work out in our favor.
To be honest, the lower ranks of G5 need to be blown up and re-organized anyway. There's no difference between the CUSA, Sunbelt, bottom end of the AAC,etc.

It's incredibly stupid to have Charlotte in a conference with UTEP, but not Appy State.
We shouldn't be playing anyone over 1000 miles away when we could be playing Georgia State, Troy, etc
You can't tell me that the Texas schools wouldn't be better off financially and from a program growth standpoint playing other Texas schools more than playing Marshall, us, or ODU.

Pins all the leftovers on a map, and just start drawing separate circles around enough of them to make a conference. I bet you get a lot healthier programs from a financial standpoint, a fan interest standpoint, etc.

Sadly for MT, I see no way we're in consideration for any of those B12 expanded slots. And sadder, I think we could have had we progressed from where we were a few years ago. Instead we got hijacked by Stock and Massaro and a general lack of ambition.
No surprise given the complete disaster that football and basketball have been, and the complete neglect of facilities. Attendance and support is a reflection of the decline of athletics here under Massaro and McPhee. Can't forget McPhee's huge portion of responsibility in this mess. Everybody coasted once the move to CUSA was made. There's been plenty of discussion about branding or lack there of, and the fact that McPhee and Massaro never have shown any interest in improving the brand, image as well as success on the field.

A shame that so much time and opportunities wasted while Stockstill, Massaro, and McPhee were content to sit back motionless as they got vested in the state pension system.

There have been recent statements that a major announcement about facilities is just around the corner, but given the history of this kind of crap, it will be more artist renderings and perhaps a video and then nothing will happen for four or five more years when it will be no longer required. Too little and much too late.

No one wants the B12 leftovers.

The best thing they can do it what you've said - gobble up all the G5 schools with any promise and get to 16, and then dare the other conferences to relegate them. Lets face it, you take the B12 and add the best of g5, you've got a better conference top to bottom than the P12 and the ACC. TV content is driving this, and while they won't be making money like the B10 or SEC, networks have to fill slots with someone, and if the reconstituted B12 can be that filler, that's better than what they have now.

On the bright side, I look at all the other CUSA schools, and I don't see anyone getting plucked either, so as long as we're all together there's a chance.
With the new pay plan for players, Memphis has reaped a new NCAA legal gold mine. Watch what happens with the “intern” program creativity at FedEx and other major donors.

I was told last week that they are positioning for another conference move and things are looking pretty positive it will happen. They continue to upgrade and add to athletic facilities at the South Campus complex.

Meanwhile in Murfreesboro……..the Tennis Coach making $95,000 a year is the chief athletic fundraiser and winning matches.

Lord knows what the ROI is on the Head FB Coach and Men’s Basketball Coach.

Yay.

Reactions: crclarke55
With the new pay plan for players, Memphis has reaped a new NCAA legal gold mine. Watch what happens with the “intern” program creativity at FedEx and other major donors.

I was told last week that they are positioning for another conference move and things are looking pretty positive it will happen. They continue to upgrade and add to athletic facilities at the South Campus complex.

Meanwhile in Murfreesboro……..the Tennis Coach making $95,000 a year is the chief athletic fundraiser and winning matches.

Lord knows what the ROI is on the Head FB Coach and Men’s Basketball Coach.

Yay.
Where is Memphis going? I think the SEC is staying put at 16 teams. LOL. The not so big 12 will probably disband if the ACC, PAC12 and the really big 10 expands to 16 teams a piece. WVU, Okie St., TCU, KSU and Iowa st. will be gone. Then what? The AAC will have more value as a conference. I don't think this realingment will effect G5 teams. This is a P5 matter.

Reactions: Brew_Raider
Where is Memphis going? I think the SEC is staying put at 16 teams. LOL. The not so big 12 will probably disband if the ACC, PAC12 and the really big 10 expands to 16 teams a piece. WVU, Okie St., TCU, KSU and Iowa st. will be gone. Then what? The AAC will have more value as a conference. I don't think this realingment will effect G5 teams. This is a P5 matter. Even if they went, the grass may be greener if they stay. We bolted to CUSA and it's been a death nail for us.

Where is Memphis going? I think the SEC is staying put at 16 teams. LOL. The not so big 12 will probably disband if the ACC, PAC12 and the really big 10 expands to 16 teams a piece. WVU, Okie St., TCU, KSU and Iowa st. will be gone. Then what? The AAC will have more value as a conference. I don't think this realingment will effect G5 teams. This is a P5 matter.
This.
After 2025, the B12 becomes G6, assuming it still exists. Memphis may join, but it will just be in a new G6 conference by then, still on the outside of the SEC and the alliance.

I expect the P4 to set up their own playoff with the top 2 teams from each guaranteed a spot in the playoffs and then a committee picks 4 at large 3 seeds. The B12, MWC, MAC, AAC, CUSA and SB will lose access.

I don’t blame UM for wanting to move to the B12. I even see articles saying UAB is a viable option. I wish MT was desirable. But the truth is Memphis will be in no better access / situation in 2026 & beyond than now. On the outside looking in.

This realignment is all about the elite programs being even more greedier than ever before. If anything, the number of "Power 5" teams is going to shrink, not get bigger.

Fewer Power 5 teams ensures more $$$ for the elite of the elite, like Texas/Oklahoma/Alabama/Ohio St, etc. Memphis, and schools like it, are not getting anywhere near a conference of Blue Bloods. They want to lock everybody out, only play each other, and keep all of the money.

It is so sad and offputting to see this level of greed in college sports. I don't imagine I will be watching or enjoying college sports much longer. The second they mobilize and start only competing against each other is the second I stop watching.

As said, all about the Benjamins.

The ACC is stuck TV wise till 2035 or so and cannot renegotiate unless they expand. But they are at E$PN's mercy. They won't come to the table unless the ACC brings in someone worthy. IE Notre Dame. Which we all know won't happen. So unless that happens, and the ACC brings in someone else to make it even, it is all about the P4.

And it pains me to say that as a WVU fan, but it is the truth. So unless something crazy happens, the rest of the B12 will be on the outside as a G6 (which probably will wind up being G5 if the B12 expands killing one of the existing G5) and Memphis and UCF will be making regular trips to Morgantown.

The P4 will only schedule each other which means more trips for Marshall too to fill out the schedule, much to the shagrin of many Mountaineers.

Good thing will be MT in my eyes. Will probably force a regional group. Cause we all know MT brings nothing but reduced travel to a conference.

This realignment is all about the elite programs being even more greedier than ever before. If anything, the number of "Power 5" teams is going to shrink, not get bigger.

Fewer Power 5 teams ensures more $$$ for the elite of the elite, like Texas/Oklahoma/Alabama/Ohio St, etc. Memphis, and schools like it, are not getting anywhere near a conference of Blue Bloods. They want to lock everybody out, only play each other, and keep all of the money.

I agree. I wonder if schools like vandy and northwestern will get pushed out?

I'm expecting the big 12 remnants to try adding the best of the MWC and AAC, and it will trickle down from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: MidTennMtneer
I agree. I wonder if schools like vandy and northwestern will get pushed out?
IIRC, schools like those mentioned get additional protections by virtue of being original members of their conferences. And they bring value in non-football sports and/or APR.

For these moves, I think there are just a lot of schools that are lucky to be where they are or screwed simply by association with the “winning” 10-20 schools that are driving this.

News reports suggesting the B12 may offer BYU, UCF, Houston and Cincinnati.

That would gut the AAC and leave Memphis as the odd team out.

That will lead to the AAC raiding CUSA and the SB (UAB, App St and maybe 2-6 more).

Then those of us left in CUSA and the SB can decide if we merge regionally or drop to FCS.

News reports suggesting the B12 may offer BYU, UCF, Houston and Cincinnati.

That would gut the AAC and leave Memphis as the odd team out.

That will lead to the AAC raiding CUSA and the SB (UAB, App St and maybe 2-6 more).

Then those of us left in CUSA and the SB can decide if we merge regionally or drop to FCS.
i don't see App getting the AAC, I can see ODU close to ECU and Navy, FAU, gives USF a travel partner and UAB with the new stadium and recent success helps bridge the east and west. If Memphis does get the call up, the USM or ULL gets to move up. Also with the ASUN and WAC trying to go FBS in a few years you may see some changes in the belt and CUSA anyway

i don't see App getting the AAC, I can see ODU close to ECU and Navy, FAU, gives USF a travel partner and UAB with the new stadium and recent success helps bridge the east and west. If Memphis does get the call up, the USM or ULL gets to move up. Also with the ASUN and WAC trying to go FBS in a few years you may see some changes in the belt and CUSA anyway
Sounds like Memphis is 6th on the B12 list. Behind the 4 mentioned and Boise State.

You guys forget what happened when we moved to CUSA? After one year the conference had no TV value and our payout was equal to then less of the Sunbelt. Same would happen if we moved to AAC.
There is zero chance alignment results in better pay for MT. We are what we are.

The AAC isn’t going to give even a slight whiff to a school that draws 2500 actual butts in the seats for Senior Day.
This.

If we drew 25,000 yearly pre-Cov and could routinely hit 30,000 when hosting a P5 team, plus had a few championships under our belt, we would be attractive to AAC. We would only had what would be the 12th highest avg attendance for FCS schools pre-Cov in 2019.

just not happening.

That is depressing. We picked a bad time to suck.

However, with recency bias, we have a verrrryy short window to impress. IF we can somehow pull off a VaTech win and somehow ball out this year, we may get some eyeballs. Lot of ifs.

Reactions: Raiders_55
This administration has lost their way. I have no expectations whatsoever. We are either staying put or reorged with the likes of ULM down the line.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
That is depressing. We picked a bad time to suck.

However, with recency bias, we have a verrrryy short window to impress. IF we can somehow pull off a VaTech win and somehow ball out this year, we may get some eyeballs. Lot of ifs.

It's too late. Maybe if our basketball program continued it's run/momentum, but it didn't. We now have one of the worst basketball programs in D1 hoops and a bottom 1/3rd G5 football program. Our attendance for those sports is bad as well. McDevitt was a complete dumpster fire of a hire and set our program back 10+ years if not more. It feels like our football program has been frozen in time for the last 10 years. At least they can win about half their games though????

It's just not going to happen. They are not even thinking about thinking about MTSU. And they shouldn't, we barely deserve to be in CUSA much less a more prestigious conference.

My hope is either we really go on a huge run in football starting with an upset Saturday (extremely unlikely) or we don't win a single game this season (not likely but more probable than the first scenario). At some point in either scenario Stockstill retires.

And the mythological/fairy tale facilties improvement time line is announced and ground broken immediately.

This attracts the next Nick Saban and Massaro simply lucks into the hire of the century and we go on a Championship run based on coaching/recruiting/facilities and continues with the next coaching hire a few years later.

Yeah, not likely and if it were, too little too late. We're screwed thanks to the Four Horsemen of the Blue Raider Apocalypse.: McPhee, Massaro, Stockstill, and McDevitt.

The most frustrating thing is the huge potential this program has/had and it was completely squandered.

Nearby large city with an NFL team
Large enrollment and alumni
Centrally located and easy access in and out of Nashville
No real competition in the college football market in the area. You could argue Vandy, but it's still Vandy.
Lots of talented players in the area. Not so much TN, but surrounding states

I could keep going, but we are in a much better position than a Troy, Appy State, etc. BUT - we lost the opportunity to advance the profile of sports here over the past 10-15 years. It was on a silver platter for us and the Administration and coaches couldn't execute. Unfortunately the ship has sailed I'm afraid. We are stuck at this level.

Scum Belt was sort of embarassing. At least if you tell people MT is in CUSA, people at least remember that conference as respectable 20 years ago. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT