ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee vs Vanderbilt (CBSSN), 6PM Saturday, October 3, Homecoming

Confirmed Vandy sold less than 2k. Pretty sad but if you expected better from candy you aren't paying attention. We are on pace for a GA tech level crowd if rain threats don't kill momentum. Not bad when you consider Vandy will bring half of what they brought.

Now to play better than we did against GA Tech... Crowd will be there, team has to be too.

Need a big walk-up crowd to sell it out. A few Vandy fans are cocky as usual, thinking they'll have half the crowd at Floyd Stadium. We all know that won't be the case, but we need MT alums and community here big time... Big opportunity if we win!

Need a big walk-up crowd to sell it out. A few Vandy fans are cocky as usual, thinking they'll have half the crowd at Floyd Stadium. We all know that won't be the case, but we need MT alums and community here big time... Big opportunity if we win!

Who thinks VU will have half the crowd there?

Some of y'all are grasping at straws.

Confirmed Vandy sold less than 2k. Pretty sad but if you expected better from candy you aren't paying attention. We are on pace for a GA tech level crowd if rain threats don't kill momentum. Not bad when you consider Vandy will bring half of what they brought.

I wonder if Vandy fans bought through other avenues or if they ONLY bought through VU?

Hmmm?

Who thinks VU will have half the crowd there?

Some of y'all are grasping at straws.

It was a generalization of the comments... Like Vandy fans sometimes like to do... Some of those comments on the Vandy Scout site... "MT has a usual crowd of 5,000" (x3 or so) "We'll bring 10,000" (lol just like there were 1,000 Vandy fans at Bridgestone in '12) and assuming 20k show up, that's half the crowd.

It was a generalization of the comments... Like Vandy fans sometimes like to do... Some of those comments on the Vandy Scout site... "MT has a usual crowd of 5,000" (x3 or so) "We'll bring 10,000" (lol just like there were 1,000 Vandy fans at Bridgestone in '12) and assuming 20k show up, that's half the crowd.

This is a weird post altogether.

I have never seen any of what you are saying.

This is a weird post altogether.

I have never seen any of what you are saying.

Here's a few threads with a lot of the comments...

http://www.scout.com/college/vander...earing-a-loss-not-buying-tickets/ms/175140274

http://www.scout.com/college/vander...-fans-are-going-to-the-mtsu-game/ms/175097369

And by the way, the comments made by one or two Vandy fans about MT fans being "classless garbage"? That's hilarious considering 80% of people at our games are either super old (retired) or super young (children) and the other 20% are students (and our students often don't care that much unless it's WKU).

Makes you wonder why MT carried 15 - 18 thousand to each of the games on West End a decade ago and VU will bring < 5k to The Boro.
Something to do with urban vs. rural, private vs. public, $EC vs. perceived "lessor", culture vs. agriculture, or ???

Gotta think some of their fans are scared to venture out of their "protected" urban setting and venture to where the common folks reside.

(as an aside, I do understand going to an away game to a "power" school rather than to a so-called $#&-major if all things are equal - distance, time, expenditures, etc. MT will take more to Alabama than UAB, for instance. I wish our fans would support our conference rivals rather than a "power" school but "it is what it is". I get it. But MT is a 45 minute drive from most VU fans - and the tickets are cheap - no excuse)

Makes you wonder why MT carried 15 - 18 thousand to each of the games on West End a decade ago and VU will bring < 5k to The Boro.
Something to do with urban vs. rural, private vs. public, $EC vs. perceived "lessor", culture vs. agriculture, or ???

Gotta think some of their fans are scared to venture out of their "protected" urban setting and venture to where the common folks reside.

(as an aside, I do understand going to an away game to a "power" school rather than to a so-called $#&-major if all things are equal - distance, time, expenditures, etc. MT will take more to Alabama than UAB, for instance. I wish our fans would support our conference rivals rather than a "power" school but "it is what it is". I get it. But MT is a 45 minute drive from most VU fans - and the tickets are cheap - no excuse)

That's true. There's really no good excuse other than just not having enough fans. As a Miami student I was happy to be part of the FAU game in Boca about 1 hr away. We had half the crowd of 30,000 and that is no exaggeration. Vandy may have a couple thousand and they're half the distance. Sure Miami is a bigger name but let's be honest we do not have a giant involved fan base in S Florida. Many Vandy fans live here in Rutherford County and can easily go to the game but for whatever reason I guess they are not.

Is there a size difference in the two Universities? That could be part of it, if so. Also, we have had so little success and the football program is made to be a joke by the local media that it's just hard to build a fanbase. Excuse, no. Reality, it is what it is. Franklin was on his way to building the fanbase (we had over 30,000 VU fans at three straight bowl games), but Mason stopped that very quickly.

It doesn't take much thinking to figure out why we have such a small fanbase, but people are usually either stupid, lazy, or both.

That's true. There's really no good excuse other than just not having enough fans. As a Miami student I was happy to be part of the FAU game in Boca about 1 hr away. We had half the crowd of 30,000 and that is no exaggeration. Vandy may have a couple thousand and they're half the distance. Sure Miami is a bigger name but let's be honest we do not have a giant involved fan base in S Florida. Many Vandy fans live here in Rutherford County and can easily go to the game but for whatever reason I guess they are not.

How do you know they are not?

All we know is that VU fans didn't buy many of the more expensive seats through VU.

We have no idea how many VU fans will be there.

How do you know they are not?

All we know is that VU fans didn't buy many of the more expensive seats through VU.

We have no idea how many VU fans will be there.

Exactly, we won't know until Saturday. So we base our estimates on prior experience. And our prior experience is that VU has a small and demotivated fan base. 2012, not even 1,000 Vandy fans drove one mile to Bridgestone for the basketball game. Georgia game at VU had 30,000 UGA fans to Vandy's 10,000. Needless to say it is easy to understand why we are skeptical of any meaningful away crowd from VU - history of very small travelling contingents, failures under Mason, and demotivated fan base who may stay home from a "lose-lose" away game.

...Georgia game at VU had 30,000 UGA fans to Vandy's 10,000. Needless to say it is easy to understand why we are skeptical of any meaningful away crowd from VU.....

just a photo to accompany this...

vanyd%20uga%202015%20aerial_zpszl7zteqg.jpg

Reactions: RowdyAlumni
just a photo to accompany this...

vanyd%20uga%202015%20aerial_zpszl7zteqg.jpg

Thanks. That's the game I was referencing. That is quite clearly a massive UGA crowd surrounding a small sliver of black and gold... And just as a reminder, Vanderbilt Stadium holds 40,000.

One school has 5,000+ graduates per year from the middle TN area for the most part. The other school has 1500+ graduates per year from all over the country. Now, if you are asking why more of these Vandy alumni from NYC and California aren't making it to Murfreesboro, well shame on them.

One school has 5,000+ graduates per year from the middle TN area for the most part. The other school has 1500+ graduates per year from all over the country. Now, if you are asking why more of these Vandy alumni from NYC and California aren't making it to Murfreesboro, well shame on them.

No, we're asking why more of the Vandy alums that live in the Nashville metro aren't going. Not that we want them to, cause they can all stay at home and change the channel when we start annihilating VU ;)

No, we're asking why more of the Vandy alums that live in the Nashville metro aren't going. Not that we want them to, cause they can all stay at home and change the channel when we start annihilating VU ;)

Why don't more Middle alum that pretty much all live in the area go to games? You guys average about 15K per game? Why don't people show up? You guys have the biggest alumni base in the area but can't attract fans.

It seems like your fans only care if you are playing Vanderbilt - which leads me to believe that most of them are UT fans who just want to see Vanderbilt fail so they show up for that game.

These Vandy sidewalk alums kill me. They harp on Vandy's academics, but they themselves are too stupid to figure out that the average Vandy grad wouldn't piss on their face if their eyebrows were on fire.

Vandy Fans = clown shoes.

Reactions: MTLynn
Why don't more Middle alum that pretty much all live in the area go to games? You guys average about 15K per game? Why don't people show up? You guys have the biggest alumni base in the area but can't attract fans.

It seems like your fans only care if you are playing Vanderbilt - which leads me to believe that most of them are UT fans who just want to see Vanderbilt fail so they show up for that game.

Good question. I've been harping on the failure of local alums to do anything for years. Our fans will come out when we play Tech, WKU, Marshall, or UAB... but that's about it.

These Vandy sidewalk alums kill me. They harp on Vandy's academics, but they themselves are too stupid to figure out that the average Vandy grad wouldn't piss on their face if their eyebrows were on fire.

Vandy Fans = clown shoes.

Well said, J dog

Let MT have an SEC home schedule and we would draw better than Vanderbilt. You guys have NO room to talk about fan support whatsoever.

Let MT have an SEC home schedule and we would draw better than Vanderbilt. You guys have NO room to talk about fan support whatsoever.

Got it. First person to actually give a reason as to why you have a monstrous alumni base but no fans. You play in a crappy conference where whipping up on Charlotte isn't fun.

VU has been playing FB at the highest college level for what, over 100 years. MT has been playing at the highest level for a dozen or so.

Been going to MT FB games since the "Small" college classification and will be going if we drop to D-3. Speaking of D-3, sometime go to a game on the mountain at previous $EC member U of South. Great atmosphere and guess what, even at that level a good game can be entertaining.

Can't worry about conference or level of play, MT is my school. I've quit worrying about those who are disloyal and support a "big" time program. Your slap at MT's conference may be true for them. I go to see my team play and hopefully see a good game.

By the way, I grew up a VU fan (several family members were/are either fans or grads) and have gone to many games on West End even after becoming a Blue Raider. Regardless, some VU fans make it hard for me to remain neutral when they play someone other than MT.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT