ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee vs Tennessee Tech (ESPN+), 6PM, Saturday, August 31, 2024

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Links are a work in progress:

PackedStandsCumberland.jpg

Tennessee Tech University
Founded: 1909
Enrollment: 10,117 Undergrad 8,838 Postgrad 1,279
Acceptance rate: 78%
Colors: Purple and gold Nickname: Golden Eagles Mascot: Awesome Eagle
Fight song: Fight Song
Series: MT leads 36-31-7
  • Home Record: 19-12-4
  • Away Record: 17-19-3
  • Streak: W2
  • Longest Win Streak: 9
  • Longest Losing Streak: 5
  • Last 10 Matchups: 8-2

Stadium: Tucker (16,500)
Head Coach: Bobby Wilder (Maine) Record at Tech: 0-0 (1st) Overall: 77-56
2023 Record: 3-7 (1-5 Big South-OVC) 2023 Bowl: n/a
Starters Ret./Lost:
11/15 Lettermen R/L: 50/52

Returning All-Conference Players: Daniel Rickert (1st Team; DL), Tim Coutras (1st Team; DB), Hudson Tucker (2nd Team; DL), Aaron Swafford (2nd Team; LB)

Notable Incoming Transfers: Sean Pozniak (Maine; OL), D.J. Linkins (New Hampshire; WR), Leon Franklin (Michigan; RB), Jordan Yates (Sam Houston State; WR), Jalin Shephard (Mississippi State; DB), Omari Philyaw (Appalachian State; DB), Kalvyn Crummie (Army; LB)

Weather Forecast: 84 Degrees F, mostly cloudy, 24% chance, Wind NW 6 mph, Humidity59%, Feels Like 88°

Where: Johnny Red Floyd Stadium,
1500 Greenland Drive, Murfreesboro, TN 37130

Stadium Policies (prohibited items):
Fans will be able to carry the following style and size of bag, package, or container into the stadium:
  • • Bags that are clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and do not exceed 12" x 6" x 12"
  • • One-gallon clear plastic freezer bags (Ziploc bags or similar).
  • • Small "clutch" purses, no larger than 4 1/2" by 6 1/2", with or without a handle or strap can be taken into the stadium in addition to the approved clear plastic bags.
  • • Spectators also will be able to carry other items allowed into the stadium such as binoculars, cameras, and smart phones, but their cases will not be allowed.
  • • Diapers may be carried in a permissible 12" x 6" x 12" clear bag. Each member of a family, including children, will be allowed to carry an approved clear bag and a clutch purse into the stadium.

Ticket Notes:

Television:
ESPN+, PBP: Jake Rose (9th Year), Analyst: Jeremy Kellem (5th Year), Sideline: Justin Beasley (2nd Year)

Radio:
PxP: Chip Walters, Analyst: Joe Dubin
  • Murfreesboro: WGNS 101.9 FM / 1450 AM
  • Smyrna – WGNS 100.5 FM
  • Nashville: 93.3 FM
  • App: Blue Raiders

Streaming: Audio, Video

Live Stats:

Newspapers: https://www.herald-citizen.com/, TheOracle, , ,

Message Boards: there is no evidence of a fan presence
, , , , , ,

Blogs:

Athletic site:
ttusports.com, goblueraiders.com

Media Guides: Tennessee Tech, Middle Tennessee

Preseason Previews: 2024 Tennessee Tech Football Preview, Wilder shares vision of 'bigger, better' Tennessee Tech, Wilder, Golden Eagles optimistic on '24 campaign during Big South-OVC Media Day, Tech's Wilder excited about coming season, 2024 TTU Football Season Preview, 2024 Middle Tennessee Football Prediction & Preview

Game Notes:
TN Tech Game Notes, MT game notes, CUSA Game Notes

Game Previews: Tennessee Tech vs Middle Tennessee Picks and Prediction – 8/31/2024, PREVIEW: Q&A with Voice of the Golden Eagles Roger Ealey, , ,

Roster:
Golden Eagles, Blue Raiders

Twitter: https://twitter.com/TTUGoldenEagles, @BigSouthOVCFB, ,

Hashtags:
#WingsUp, #AimHigh, , , ,

Facebook:
TTUGoldenEagles

Youtube: @TTUsports1, , ,

Instagram:
tntech_football

Previous Game Thread:

Last edited:
Our marketing department has really stepped it up this year. It makes me wonder if it was Rick and mostly him that was holding us back.
On media day CM sat with Chip & Joe and talked stuff like that. Chip mentioned there's a running joke that if more than four people get together in the 'Boro, Mason is there. Which is great.
CM stated that Stock preferred his staff to have a family balance so to speak and didn't like them traveling for recruting, being gone alot and wasn't crazy about them being out in the community.

While I respect family comes first (I changed jobs a few years ago because of that), I only feel that way to an extent. Coaching is the job they chose and for a G5 especially, that includes traveling and being out and about. It just does.

Things like that really do make you wonder. I've heard players say Stock had them do community service every year, but he didn't like letting people know. Again, I respect that to an extent, but again, as a G5 you have to broadcast when you are out and about like that. The signs all over the place showing CDM. Things like that just weren't part of Stock"s personality and it hurt us for a lot of years. I'm glad Mason and his staff understand all that and push our marketing team to cater to their strengths.

When a young man chooses to be a college coach, he accepts what comes with the job. Lots of recruiting travel, time away from family, and multiple moves to climb the ladder. Look no farther than 90 miles up I-65 or 200 miles south in Birmingham and their staff turnover to advance their programs. Either by their coaches moving up or being replaced.
Stock chose to provide an alternative to these normal expectations at the majority of Div. I schools at the expense of never winning an outright conference title at MTSU. He hired buddies who were previously put out to pasture and just padded their TN Consolidated Retirement accounts.
We got exactly what we deserved when CM announced that 3 year contract bump to 8 years making him fireproof for 9 long years.

Last edited:
Doing a GoMiddle tailgate? I've never tailgated at an MT game. I honestly don't remember that being done much when I was on campus.

Trying to decide if myself, wife, and our 9yr old son should come down Friday evening or show up mid-day Saturday instead.

Some 1988 totem pole drama

“I did not storm in there”. 😆

https://digital.mtsu.edu/digital/api/collection/sidelines/id/21238/download
While I was in college in the early 70s, a fraternity mananged to have some of their members impersonate Tech ROTC students who managed to 'retrieve' Harvey (called by TTU 'shinny ninny') from the Tech bookstore where it was on display for publicity photos at Overall Field that the students claimed the tech sports department wanted. It was taken back to the Middle Tennessee campus and was great publicity for the college all week. At the end of the week, a delegation of students from Tech traveled to the 'boro' to receive back the totem pole but had to wait while MT students put on pep rally of MT students gathered at the Cope Administration Bldg. The week was capped off by a road trip for MT football to Cookeville where it lost for the 5th straight loss for MT in the series.

While I was in college in the early 70s, a fraternity managed to have some of their members impersonate Tech ROTC students who managed to 'retrieve' Harvey (called by TTU 'shinny ninny') from the Tech bookstore where it was on display for publicity photos at Overall Field that the students claimed the tech sports department wanted. It was taken back to the Middle Tennessee campus and was great publicity for the college all week. At the end of the week, a delegation of students from Tech traveled to the 'boro' to receive back the totem pole but had to wait while MT students put on pep rally of MT students gathered at the Cope Administration Bldg. The week was capped off by a road trip for MT football to Cookeville where it lost for the 5th straight loss for MT in the series.

Love this story. Thanks Space. Glad Massaro is leaning into the rivalry. It's good for both schools and both fan bases.

I'm never a fan of running up the score, but if CDM wanted to pull a Woody Hayes and go for 2 because he can't go for 3, I'm all for it.

Feels good to be excited for football season again.

While I was in college in the early 70s, a fraternity mananged to have some of their members impersonate Tech ROTC students who managed to 'retrieve' Harvey (called by TTU 'shinny ninny') from the Tech bookstore where it was on display for publicity photos at Overall Field that the students claimed the tech sports department wanted. It was taken back to the Middle Tennessee campus and was great publicity for the college all week. At the end of the week, a delegation of students from Tech traveled to the 'boro' to receive back the totem pole but had to wait while MT students put on pep rally of MT students gathered at the Cope Administration Bldg. The week was capped off by a road trip for MT football to Cookeville where it lost for the 5th straight loss for MT in the series.
In 1980 or 1981, TTU students faked a seizure in the back of the Bookstore.... In the confusion, other's removed Harvey and took it to Cookville...
A couple of weeks later, a call was received stating the location of the totem pole in Cookeville. Several Sigma Chi's took off to get it.... After searching several fraternity houses (it was 10 in the morning and they were in class), they dejectedly started back to the Boro. On their way to the Interstate, they kidnapped the Eagle mascot from a fast food restaurant and took him to the Boro....

Long story short....
Harvey was returned and has never left...

Glad yall enlightened me on Harvey. I had never heard about it.

Reactions: coachchia
Considering Tech is an ESPN+ game, thought this was a good place to add this.
18 production truck games. We did I think 2 back in my day with the analog truck. My how technology has changed and we've grown with it.

Doing a GoMiddle tailgate? I've never tailgated at an MT game. I honestly don't remember that being done much when I was on campus.

Trying to decide if myself, wife, and our 9yr old son should come down Friday evening or show up mid-day Saturday instead.
Can’t believe you’ve never tailgated. The grove is a great time (haven’t been since 2015 but it used to be at least). I hear this year they are going to do a pregame show (think game day) from the grove each week. Got a nice group building for the home opener.

Can’t believe you’ve never tailgated. The grove is a great time (haven’t been since 2015 but it used to be at least). I hear this year they are going to do a pregame show (think game day) from the grove each week. Got a nice group building for the home opener.
I can’t speak for how it was before but I’ve throughly enjoyed the tailgating scene. My group won’t be doing our normal full tailgate for the opener because I’ve got to go to a work event for the boss in our house beforehand but we should have 15-20 people drinking a couple hours before the game. We will be going all out for Homecoming though.

I've only been to 4 home games since I graduated in '02. Been to a bunch of away games. Multiple at Marshall and Charlotte, as well as one at VT. Just not many home since it is so far away and isn't very conductive to bringing tailgate stuff. Now WVU games, one every year almost. Minimum. Shoot. Last year even for Backyard Brawl, 12 of us rented a lake house for the night with a 110" screen and made our own tailgate so to speak.

I remember my freshman year in '98 riding my bike to Texbook Brokers (I forget what it was called then) to buy a shirt before my first game (TSU..we won on a last shot missed FG). There wasn't anyone on campus anywhere then. Place was dead so I guess tailgating picked up later.

Maybe I just missed it all and it was happening in The Grove and away from me. I've always only seen tailgating in parking lots so it is still to this day crazy to me how it all works over there. I always expected Greenland to be packed like WVU's Blue Lot is. You can see it in this link, and see why we rented last year instead of dealing with that cluster.

I've only been to 4 home games since I graduated in '02. Been to a bunch of away games. Multiple at Marshall and Charlotte, as well as one at VT. Just not many home since it is so far away and isn't very conductive to bringing tailgate stuff. Now WVU games, one every year almost. Minimum. Shoot. Last year even for Backyard Brawl, 12 of us rented a lake house for the night with a 110" screen and made our own tailgate so to speak.

I remember my freshman year in '98 riding my bike to Texbook Brokers (I forget what it was called then) to buy a shirt before my first game (TSU..we won on a last shot missed FG). There wasn't anyone on campus anywhere then. Place was dead so I guess tailgating picked up later.

Maybe I just missed it all and it was happening in The Grove and away from me. I've always only seen tailgating in parking lots so it is still to this day crazy to me how it all works over there. I always expected Greenland to be packed like WVU's Blue Lot is. You can see it in this link, and see why we rented last year instead of dealing with that cluster.

I went to Greenland for my first game and was massively let down. I quickly realized if you’re not in the Grove you’re not experiencing tailgating at MT.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
I haven’t tailgated since my college days but Walnut Grove is definitely the best place in my opinion (assuming they do it still like it was back in the early 2000s). I wonder though once the new stadium construction is finished do any of you foresee this changing and tailgating being a bigger thing on the north side of the stadium? Also too, I have been wanting to come early enough to experience the tailgating again. It’s just been so hard since I have a bunch of young kids. Is there any family friendly activities in the Grove? Like I mentioned it’s been a while for me.

You heard correctly. Student organization (MTN Sports) is working the logistics out right now.

We tailgated by the old flag pole/tennis courts back in the day. Kids were little and was a great place for them to run around and play. Did the grove a couple seasons with a friend once the kids got older. Definitely a more enthusiastic tailgating environment over there. I've gotten lazy in my old age, so not tailgating much any more. Probably hit a restaurant before hand and bring a cooler for a few drinks before we head into the stadium.

I really do miss those BRAA game day buffets in the back of the press box and the Hendrix Stadium Club.
BRAA run by Alan, Roy, Clint, Linda. We had some good times from 2009-2014. And also my tailgate buddies in the Grove.
Maybe things will turn around again. I really hope so.
Yep. Things used to be really fun. Road trips and tailgates were all the rage. Here's hoping CDM can find success.

Other C-USA games this week:

UPCOMING GAMES (ALL TIMES CT)

THURSDAY, AUGUST 29

Coastal Carolina at Jax State (CBSSN) 7 p.m.

Bryant at Delaware, (FLOSPORTS) 6PM

SATURDAY, AUGUST 31

UTEP at [RV] Nebraska (FOX) 2:30 p.m.
FIU at Indiana (Big Ten Network) 2:30 p.m.
Kennesaw State at UTSA (ESPN+) 2:30 p.m.
Campbell at [RV] Liberty (ESPN+) 5 p.m.
WKU at No. 5 Alabama (ESPN) 6 p.m.
Sam Houston at Rice (ESPN+) 6 p.m.
Tennessee Tech at MTSU (ESPN+) 6 p.m.
Nicholls State at LA Tech (ESPN+) 7 p.m.
SE Missouri at NM State (ESPN+) 8 p.m.

Missouri State at Montana (ESPN+) 8PM

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT