ADVERTISEMENT

Another NCAA Lawsuit

MidTennMtneer

All American
Nov 13, 2013
Depending on how this goes, they won't be the last to try this. And if it does work, the NCAA is done for. Bankrupt.

I think the most pissed person has to be Jeremy Bloom. I’m not sure how he lost his case. Had he won all this probably would have happened much sooner. Frankly that’s the moment the NCAA failed. It was very obvious he was not benefitting financially from his football endeavors and they had the audacity to prevent him from earning income in a completely different non-NCAA sport.

Instead of recognizing that as a watershed moment that maybe they should rethink the future they dug in using that case as a bedrock to keep up their amateur con. Literally all they had to do was establish a trust for players to be compensated after their playing time was over. But alas here we are.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Settlement looking like a bad idea right now. I wouldn’t want to hitch my wagon in any way right now with the ncaa. Let the NCAA take all the blame and sever all ties. Create new org and keep all future money. Let the ncaa rot and take all blame.

What’s really disappointing is that many guys like me who played say… in the 70’s (and prior) are walking, hobbling, around after multiple surgeries, concussions, broken bones, bad backs etc. but we didn’t and don’t expect a dime for our four years representing our schools and going on to play the sport we loved past high school. The hours current players since the early 2000’s put into practices, and offseason workouts are a fraction of what we put in. I know of a former Memphis player, who turned in Tommy West to the NCAA for making them practice past the allowed number of hours. And now they expect six figures to suit up. NIL and the Transfer Portal have really put a bad taste in my mouth about college football and basketball. No loyalty whatsoever from the majority of them.

So in other words it sounds to me like they are fully expecting schools to sue if the settlement is approved.

Regardless if they don't have to spend the $ for NIL, they still are going to lose part of their NCAA income.

Another one.

This wont end unless there is a CBA or the NCAA gets its anti-trust exemption from Congress.

Another one.

This wont end unless there is a CBA or the NCAA gets its anti-trust exemption from Congress.

as long as they keep trying to settle every thing, there will be groups that keep coming out the wood works, i'm waiting for the 70's, 80's, 90's football athletes to start looking for a quick payday, since they played with the worst equipment and practiced 3 times a day with no water.

So in other words it sounds to me like they are fully expecting schools to sue if the settlement is approved.

Regardless if they don't have to spend the $ for NIL, they still are going to lose part of their NCAA income.

In other words, the little guys....like us...are along for the ride. We have zero recourse without going after the NCAA directly, and no one is going to do that.

how are they a non class? They are D1 in all other sports a and FCS in football.
Non-class as in not part of the lawsuit. Only the Power conferences and the NCAA were named in the suit. So HCU nor any FCS/G5 were part of the suit class and have no merit to fight the settlement.

Which is ridiculous when it absolutely affects those schools.

Reactions: mtfblue
Non-class as in not part of the lawsuit. Only the Power conferences and the NCAA were named in the suit. So HCU nor any FCS/G5 were part of the suit class and have no merit to fight the settlement.

If I remember my Dicken's, there a part from Oliver Twist that says the "the law is an ass"

Can the G5/FCS sue for damages since it impacts them ?

here is another, I knew the FCS schools would sit back and just take it....https://www.sportico.com/leagues/college-sports/2024/montana-south-dakota-attorneys-general-house-ncaa-settlement-1234791561/
It's gonna wind up a huge class suit against the NCAA with multiple multiple schools challenging it all. I mean there are 64 G5s and over 100 FCS schools getting shafted. Not to mention the non-FB schools. And that is going to be a giant giant mess.

Reactions: MTLynn and mtfblue
Amazon Prime Smile GIF by The Boys

Reactions: ewglenn
I see this going bad for the players as well. A kid thinks he's getting a four-year deal, but is not producing on the field, YOU'RE FIRED!

That will be the next major complaint from kids. Be careful what you wish for. Along the lines of kids thinking they are hot stuff and hit the portal after having one descent game and no one picks them up.

I see this going bad for the players as well. A kid thinks he's getting a four-year deal, but is not producing on the field, YOU'RE FIRED!

That will be the next major complaint from kids. Be careful what you wish for. Along the lines of kids thinking they are hot stuff and hit the portal after having one descent game and no one picks them up.
Kids have been encouraged to transfer and kids have entered thinking they’re something and not get picked up already. Both have been happening from the minute the portal was introduced

Yup. Won't end well at all.

There should be limits. It needs fixed.
If I were running the show, freshmen wouldn't be allowed to earn NIL. That's the key word. Earn. You earn your starting spot, you earn that payday in the NFL, you should earn that in college as well. This sign a high school kid to $2m with a leased Bentley just to keep him from your rival is ridiculous.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
Yup. Won't end well at all.

There should be limits. It needs fixed.
If I were running the show, freshmen wouldn't be allowed to earn NIL. That's the key word. Earn. You earn your starting spot, you earn that payday in the NFL, you should earn that in college as well. This sign a high school kid to $2m with a leased Bentley just to keep him from your rival is ridiculous.

Money corrupts all

The judge did not give preliminary approval of the settlement and sent the lawyers back. She isn't happy with the proposed regulatory committee over NIL deals. Some legal experts are saying this could actually go to trial.

and another one....https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/41206661/ex-michigan-stars-file-50m-lawsuit-vs-ncaa-big-ten-network

It'll be that way until the NCAA gets an antitrust exemption. I dare say they are spending a few million more now lobbying after what the judge said last week.

Or if they go bankrupt first.

Why don't the universities just cut all ties with the NCAA? Let them rot and form a new and better entity to regulate college athletics.

Why don't the universities just cut all ties with the NCAA? Let them rot and form a new and better entity to regulate college athletics.

They could and may still do that but, it

a) doesn't abdicate them from the responsibility of being signatories to a body that completely failed it's mandate/mission. The NCAA single-handedly destroyed the premise of amateur athletics. In other words, the lawsuits would still persist; and

b) they're trying to avoid further anti-trust legal jeopardy by reaching this settlement (while simultaneously and audaciously sticking more of the burden of the costs as a percentage of revenue onto institutions with less resources). It's a have cake and eat too pile of crap the P4 is trying to force onto everyone. As usual.

They could and may still do that but, it

a) doesn't abdicate them from the responsibility of being signatories to a body that completely failed it's mandate/mission. The NCAA single-handedly destroyed the premise of amateur athletics. In other words, the lawsuits would still persist; and

b) they're trying to avoid further anti-trust legal jeopardy by reaching this settlement (while simultaneously and audaciously sticking more of the burden of the costs as a percentage of revenue onto institutions with less resources). It's a have cake and eat too pile of crap the P4 is trying to force onto everyone. As usual.

No way, the rich and powerful trying to stick it to the little guy ? Never seen that before

No way, the rich and powerful trying to stick it to the little guy ? Never seen that before
They are all in cahoots against us anyway.

The NCAA spent almost $3m on lobbying in 2023. The Power conferences and NCAA combined have spent over $15m the last 5 years. SEC Sankey and B12 Yormark have both been to DC this year.

All that isn't being done for the benefit of the little guys for sure. It 100% is a what can you do for me meeting with the DC elites.

The funniest thing of all about this is everybody looking for a 'Fix' or thinking one will come from DC. There's reason there was a book written a few decades ago called Parliament of Whores. Theres been nothing to improve their reputations since then. All it is now is a protection racket where the problem or enforcers never goes away, but they sure take the money to promise they will go away.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT