ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee at James Madison (ESPN+) 5 pm, Saturday, September 3, 2022

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Bridgeforth_Stadium.jpg

Bridgeforth Stadium/Zane Showker Field, Harrisonburg, VA

5:00 PM CT September 3, 2022

Coverage: ESPN+
RADIO: WGNS 1450 AM/100.5 FM/101.9 FM – THE GAME 102.5 FM/106.3 FM/97.5 FM - THE VARSITY NETWORK APP

Last edited:
Reactions: tyler90wm
Really surprised at the ESPN prediction. I see this as a fairly difficult game to win. JMU was one of the best FCS programs and maintained that level of play consistently. Now I can imagine their fanbase is electric over getting the call up to FBS and the fact this is their FBS home opener. MT cannot come out flat or this could be a blowout.

I think our defense willl be good enough to win this game. Offense will produce a couple of scores while we get another score from special teams and/or defense.
Good guys 24
Bad guys 14

JMU is, indeed, favored by 6.5 - so I'm not sure why the ESPN predictor is so high on us, other than JMU being FCS last year...

JMU is, indeed, favored by 6.5 - so I'm not sure why the ESPN predictor is so high on us, other than JMU being FCS last year...
JMU lost their best 2 players to P5 programs and that J.MU team was senior heavy last year. That's why espn is predicting MT ro win. JMU should've moved up in 2013, they waited to late. They're shell of what they use to be. MT should win by 2 Tugs

This game replaces the game Missouri backed out of, paying us 800k. Do we get anything for going to JMU or is pride just the only thing on the line.
I remember Massaro being grateful for JMU being accommodating and I was like. Of course they are…

This game replaces the game Missouri backed out of, paying us 800k. Do we get anything for going to JMU or is pride just the only thing on the line.
I remember Massaro being grateful for JMU being accommodating and I was like. Of course they are…
They are paying. I remember reading somewhere that between the 800k from Missouri and what JMU is paying us, we are basically getting paid Power 5 money for a road game but playing an FBS start up instead.

The optics are not the greatest but if we can win the game, we will have been paid over a million dollars + cashed the W.

I think we win by 2 touchdowns. Our D will be the factor and they are still essentially 1AA team. I don't think they will be able to handle the pressure our defense will create and our offense will be serviceable enough to out score them.

Reactions: Raiders_55
Mizzou paid us 800k to buyout their game and JMU is giving us 700k. I think 1.5m is a pretty good deal for a winnable road game. I like this better than the 1.6m we are getting at Bama next year!

They are paying. I remember reading somewhere that between the 800k from Missouri and what JMU is paying us, we are basically getting paid Power 5 money for a road game but playing an FBS start up instead.

The optics are not the greatest but if we can win the game, we will have been paid over a million dollars + cashed the W.
They are paying 700k so 1.5 million total to go there.

Here's another note that stood out to me....

- JMU held walk-on tryouts following Friday’s practice and Cignetti said the team could use cornerbacks, safeties and wide receivers to add depth for practice.

Wow! They must be pretty thin to hold try outs one week before game day. I've never heard of that with the exception of TSU in 96'. That didn't work out well for them either.

Monmouth was in better shape last year than JMU is right now. Gonna be interesting.

Reactions: Raiders_55
Sad part is after 16 years with this head coach we are discussing IF we can beat a FBS first year program. I believe we can despite our head coach.
Every other team in CUSA would have this same problem with a team like JMU. Expecially the ones that left already. FAU looks to be the best in the east right now. Other than that, I can't any team wouldn't be concerned with anyone they play right now. WKU had their hands full with APSU and they haven't done anything to the likes of a JMU.

Here's another note that stood out to me....

- JMU held walk-on tryouts following Friday’s practice and Cignetti said the team could use cornerbacks, safeties and wide receivers to add depth for practice.

Wow! They must be pretty thin to hold try outs one week before game day. I've never heard of that with the exception of TSU in 96'. That didn't work out well for them either.

Monmouth was in better shape last year than JMU is right now. Gonna be interesting.
I'm not an expert on JMU's roster, but there are a couple of simple explanations for JMU's roster situation :

1) These are bottom of the roster, practice players. Highly unlikely these guys play on Saturday (unless there's a legit player that's a JMU for other reasons).
2) The NCAA allows FB programs to go from 105 players during camp to 125 once school starts.
3) JMU also is making the jump to FBS in one year. Since the FCS allows for 63 scholarship players & FBS allows for 85 scholarship players, it usually takes 2-3 years to get your scholarship numbers up to FBS level.

All of these combined make me believe that JMU doesn't have the depth they would like at this point. If I were Stock, I'd go a bit slower tempo on the first 3-4 plays of each possession (give the D a breather) and then go NASCAR / up-tempo to attack JMU's depth (or lack thereof). I'd attack.

Use crossers to move far side WRs to the near side to speed up time between snaps.

i think line will be around 4 by kick off. liking the confidence of our players from that interview. I hope they don't think we will waltz in there and easily win though.

Reactions: ewglenn
i think line will be around 4 by kick off. liking the confidence of our players from that interview. I hope they don't think we will waltz in there and easily win though.
Yeah I was a bit surprised to see how confident they are

The fact that after 16 seasons under this current regime, the Blue Raiders are not at least a 2 TD favorite to a first year G-5 school is disappointing. Even worse, MT is the underdog, and some of our fanbase has become conditioned rationalize it. Hopefully, they can come away with a resounding victory.

If the home team gets 3 this may end up being a toss up.

The fact that after 16 seasons under this current regime, the Blue Raiders are not at least a 2 TD favorite to a first year G-5 school is disappointing. Even worse, MT is the underdog, and some of our fanbase has become conditioned rationalize it. Hopefully, they can come away with a resounding victory.
Name me another school in CUSA that would be a 2 TD favorite over a 14-2 team from last year. I wanna hear this.

Name me another school in CUSA that would be a 2 TD favorite over a 14-2 team from last year. I wanna hear this.
CUSA is not a good football conference. It’s a main reason we went to a bowl last year with a small win streak. It’s the same reason it is always on the low end of rankings.
FR’s point seems to be that MT (throw in CUSA if you like) should be better after 16 years.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
CUSA is not a good football conference. It’s a main reason we went to a bowl last year with a small win streak. It’s the same reason it is always on the low end of rankings.
FR’s point seems to be that MT (throw in CUSA if you like) should be better after 16 years.
But we can't help what conference we're in right now other than taking the MAC option. We tied with the Sun Belt and the MAC in bowl wins. UTSA was ranked this year until the end of the season. We did just as well as 2 other conferences. We will be stronger this year just by having ODU and USM gone.

just a reminder per the game notes MT has not won a season opener on the road since 2004, when andy mccollum was still roaming the sidelines. There is a history with this particular coaching staff and why many of us are so down on them.

Stock openers
* Home 6-4
FIU- W
Troy - L
Minnesota - L
McNeese - L
W Carolina - W
Savannah - W
Jackson - W
Alabama A&M - W
Vanderbilt - L
Monmouth - W

* Away 0-6
FAU
Clemson
Purdue
Vanderbilt
Michigan
Army

Reactions: tyler90wm
Other than FAU, the other away openers are pretty dang tough to win at. The Purdue game was more than winnable and we just did not have the D to win it. FAU won a share of the title in 2007 I think.

We definitely don't have a good track record of away openers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT