ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee (0-1) vs Tennessee State (1-0), ESPN3, 6PM, Saturday, September 7, 2019

Ok. Offense continues to carry the torch.

This defense better F'ing step up and stop somebody. This is ridiculous. Our defense was supposed to be a strong suit for our team this year....

Well, last year the defense was terrible against UT Martin, and then was great for pretty much the rest of the year. Given that, I'm not getting too worked up at this point.

With all due respect, TSU is terrible.

Totally disagree. They about beat Vandy last year when VU pulled our pants down and spanked our a$$ on national TV. That QB and Rowland are better players than most of CUSA. Name a player in CUSA as dynamic as Rowland is. I ain't seen him if he exists.

They came in highly motivated and punched us in the mouth. Most of you guys said we might lose this game. I remember the thread where a lot of you guys said we would be lucky to win this game. Now folks are suprised that it was competitive.

I also remember last year when everybody b!tched about the UT martin game and we ended up playing in the title game. We're just fine.

Totally disagree. They about beat Vandy last year when VU pulled our pants down and spanked our a$$ on national TV. That QB and Rowland are better players than most of CUSA. Name a player in CUSA as dynamic as Rowland is. I ain't seen him if he exists.

They came in highly motivated and punched us in the mouth. Most of you guys said we might lose this game. I remember the thread where a lot of you guys said we would be lucky to win this game. Now folks are suprised that it was competitive.

I also remember last year when everybody b!tched about the UT martin game and we ended up playing in the title game. We're just fine.
Uh oh. JT’s back on the bandwagon. LOL!

Just happy to get a win. It's amazing that we had over 600 yards of offense with a pretty bad first half. I like our offense, our defense looked pretty bad tonight.

We got a good one in O'Hara.

TSU was better than I thought they would be. Haven't looked but with the eye test both their OL and DL were bigger than ours.

I also remember folks here saying we’d be lucky to win this game. I’m not saying I’m pleased with the performance, but at least be consistent with your observations/expectations

Reactions: MTsumner92
Uh oh. JT’s back on the bandwagon. LOL!

Just making football observations. What player in CUSA is as dynamic as that Rowland kid? I honestly think he will be one of the toughest players we've had to defend all year. He's like Ty Lee and Zach Dobson combined. Why we didn't recruit him is a mystery.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Asher - in his second start - was one yard shy of the school record for total offense.

And the first MT QB to throw for over 300 and rush for over 100.

Some of you (not you MT01) are ridiculous with your comments and need to consider the entire body of work...try focusing on the positives, or try staying for the entire game. We have a gamer QB...Asher is a joy to watch. I want to get mad at the D, they gave up three long TDs with bad tackling - this can get fixed. We had way too many penalties - this is fixable. In the past this was a game we'd lose. But we didn't. I think a game like this keeps everyone humble, gives the coaches stuff to work on.

Geez, we won. It was a good crowd. I and my crew had fun.

I think the beer garden was a hit and I actually liked the news 2 girl during downtime. It's better than boring announcements every break in gameplay. Ill give credit where credit is due. I think the athletic department has really stepped it up this year with the blue zoo, beer garden, overall game experience, and improved online presence/marketing leading up to the game. I hope they keep it up.

I thought the score would be closer than it was but Blankenship's two INT's helped to slow down TSU

I think the beer garden was a hit and I actually liked the news 2 girl during downtime. It's better than boring announcements every break in gameplay. Ill give credit where credit is due. I think the athletic department has really stepped it up this year with the blue zoo, beer garden, overall game experience, and improved online presence/marketing leading up to the game. I hope they keep it up.

Anything that keeps the PA Announcer off the air during breaks is all right with me. Even blondie.

It was annoying and apparently she wasn't paying attention to the game early when she asked if we were having a good time, just after tsu broke off a big play for a TD.

Also, props to TSU fans. They bring the heat every year. They travel great and brought much needed energy to the game. We should play them every year. There's no other game that would boost our attendance more right now. Maybe Memphis.

A few observations,

RE clear bag/stadium seat bullshit, the guys at the gates are not paying attention about the stadium seats with no arms/pockets. Twelve or 13 rows down in front of us, just on one row, there were people using those stadium seats prohibited by the the new policy. Either you are pissing people who bought their stadium seats with arms/pockets or you are pissing people who bought the not so cheap ass compliant seats and when in the stadium seeing other people using the prohibited seats.

BWW food truck inside the stadium concourse was nice. Hope to take advantage of that next week.

the lower level of the stadium was as full as I can remember in a long long time.

I thought tsu brought a decent crowd, nothing like I thought they might though.

TSU played well and we didn't. It was tsu's superbowl and our guys did okay for the trap game that it was, offense did okay but that first quarter and most of the first half was awful. Defense needs work, but man they could not get off the field in the first half. TOP in first half must have been 7 to 23 minutes.

Love that vandy lost again and utk as well. F'm both.

Just glad to see MT win these games given the history of MT home openers.

Sure, the 1st qtr was ugly. Glad to see the team start to play better in the 2nd half. Roster depth also started to pay off in 2nd half with MT getting stronger as the game went on.

There were some plays and areas where MT definitely needs to improve. Overall, it's a good thing MT won.

Reactions: MTsumner92
Final score isn't indicative of how competitive this game was.

Offense looks fantastic. Who would have thought they would be carrying the torch?

Our defense must get better. Some of the play calling from Shafer has been quite head scratching especially in key moments.

Reactions: blueraiderJT
Final score isn't indicative of how competitive this game was.

Offense looks fantastic. Who would have thought they would be carrying the torch?

Our defense must get better. Some of the play calling from Shafer has been quite head scratching especially in key moments.

Totally agree but I think we will be fine.

It was one of the best if not the best overall experiences I have had at a football game. Beer garden is great, my 3 year old enjoyed the family fun zone and the post game fireworks, and there was a good crowd. The news girl was better than a PA announcer. Wish we played better, but the atmosphere was great.

Should’ve been 3..

There are a few things that irritate the hell out of me about how Stockstill has done things over the years but I don't think there is one more infuriating than his unwillingness to call a timeout or to challenge a call on the field. I watch a lot of football and most of the time these things happen automatically but for whatever reason the replay official seems to be napping whenever a play goes against MT and Stockstill just tucks his tail and accepts it. Blows my mind.

There may not be a team in the country who loses out on more blown calls that don't get reviewed than MT.

Reactions: C-Bow
Ricks philosophy seems to be play just good enough to win - and it usually backfires early in the year.

This year I haven't noticed the offense running Ricks favorite play (sideline bubble screen) so maybe he has FINALLY realized that he has ran it too many times over the years.

I wonder if Rick wanted the defense to play conservatively and it allowed TSU to have success?

Just making football observations. What player in CUSA is as dynamic as that Rowland kid? I honestly think he will be one of the toughest players we've had to defend all year. He's like Ty Lee and Zach Dobson combined. Why we didn't recruit him is a mystery.

Both Rowland brothers could have played here, they're pretty good. Don't know if Stockstill and crew looked and passed on them or what. But if they didn't, it doesn't speak well of projecting talent and evaluation on our coaches. They played at Ravenwood for goodness sakes.

FBS teams do not travel to FCS teams, F*** that.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sp...ll-rivalry-nashville-murfreesboro/2194371001/

excerpts:

...With the campuses located about 40 miles apart, it just made too much sense to get together again.

"I would love to play it a lot more often," said Chris Massaro, MTSU's director of athletics. "It's a great game, and any time you can play local games it helps everybody. Those are the best kind of games." .....

...This shouldn't be a one-and-done renewal. Maybe not every year, but the athletic administrations at both schools should get together and schedule future get-togethers.

The biggest obstacle is finding the right spot on TSU's schedule. In addition to its OVC slate, TSU traditionally hosts the John Merritt Classic and plays in the Southern Heritage Classic in Memphis.

MTSU wants to make it work. And the Blue Raiders would be happy to return the favor and come to Nashville.

"We'd be happy to do that," Massaro said. "I think it would be fun to play a game at Nissan Stadium." .....

Seemed to be more than 20k in stadium. And how about those officials...they were bad and seemed incapable to review some plays that should have been reversed in our favor. Reminded me of some of the road basketball games against SWAC teams.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Seemed to be more than 20k in stadium. And how about those officials...they were bad and seemed incapable to review some plays that should have been reversed in our favor. Reminded me of some of the road basketball games against SWAC teams.

Yeah, I remember back in the 70s, when we played tn state at vandy as a 'neutral site game' John Merritt, the tsu coach at that time seemed to have the officials in his back pocket. Last night's officiating had me recalling some of that BS officiating from back then.

Ricks philosophy seems to be play just good enough to win - and it usually backfires early in the year.

This year I haven't noticed the offense running Ricks favorite play (sideline bubble screen) so maybe he has FINALLY realized that he has ran it too many times over the years.

I wonder if Rick wanted the defense to play conservatively and it allowed TSU to have success?

In my opinion,t I thought we were a little too aggressive, and TSU was expecting it and caught us with our pants down quite a bit.

I live downtown Nashville and I think it would be bad azz to play down the street from me. I would think they could even pitch a overnight package for Mboro groups/couples wanting to spend a night in Nashville

ADVERTISEMENT