ADVERTISEMENT

McDevitt

...One has to wonder how many trips Massaro took to Franklin, Smyrna, Decherd, and even Yokohama...

Entirely unrelated, but the mention of Yokohama (different country, I know) made this thought pop up in my mind:

How bummed must McPhee be that the coronavirus is putting a crimp in his international travel plans...

I wouldn’t take mediocrity over this. Never. When you are this bad, you have to improve. When you are doing just good enough, there is no end in sight.

Kermit has won more games in his worst years here than CMD will ever see. Kermit could at least coach. CMD looks like a deer in the headlights. I would take mediocre right over absolute embarrassment anyday.

I wouldn’t take mediocrity over this. Never. When you are this bad, you have to improve. When you are doing just good enough, there is no end in sight.
If Nick doesn't improve he will be replaced

If Nick gets to .500 he will have a lifetime contract

If Nick gets to the NCAA tourney the power schools will come calling

Reactions: MT Glenn
If Nick doesn't improve he will be replaced

If Nick gets to .500 he will have a lifetime contract

If Nick gets to the NCAA tourney the power schools will come calling

Nick has already failed. At P5 schools and even some of our own rivals would be shown the door at the end of this season. Not at MT.

I don’t prescribe to this but his contract limits action this year. His buyout is substantially reduced after next year so the rationale will be it can’t get much worse so might as well give him another year when we can reduce our financial burden.

My problem with that is anything short of 20+ wins next year and top two in the league would be immediate removal, but based on what I’ve seen so far there isn’t a snowballs chance in hell of that. And with our genius brain trust if he just gets to .500 that will get him an addition two years added on just for “recruiting optics.”

I favor financial hit now and see if we can find someone to salvage this program before we go another two decades of irrelevance.

Nick has already failed. At P5 schools and even some of our own rivals would be shown the door at the end of this season. Not at MT.
I think of nebraska churning coaches after Osborne retired.... bammer did the same after Bryant retired.

Obviously Nick didn't take the correct approach with this team (anytime an NCAA tourney program turns into a bottom dweller the wrong approach was taken) but the freshmen have flashed dominance. I expect more in the future.

Honestly, I'm far more concerned with the football program than men's basketball.

I think of nebraska churning coaches after Osborne retired.... bammer did the same after Bryant retired.

Obviously Nick didn't take the correct approach with this team (anytime an NCAA tourney program turns into a bottom dweller the wrong approach was taken) but the freshmen have flashed dominance. I expect more in the future.

Honestly, I'm far more concerned with the football program than men's basketball.

I'm not. I'm concerned about both. Frankly the entire state of the AD is a complete dumpster fire.

Do they even have Coaches’ Postgame Pressers or Call-in Shows anymore? Doesn’t McDevitt’s contract have some version of a salary supplement for one?
I’d like to hear his comments on the state of his program.

Which freshman have flashed dominance? Are we talking about Eli’s one 20+ game?

Yeah, Lawrence. And Jackson has played really well at times. I think he is the best young PF/C since Warren Kidd.

I like Jackson but Shawn Jones and Reggie Upshaw were better freshman.
Upshaw, Jones and Jackson have comparable stats as freshmen - all really good

Upshaw averaged the most points and Jackson the most rebounds

Edit: Jones averaged the most points

Last edited:
Upshaw, Jones and Jackson have comparable stats as freshmen - all really good

Upshaw averaged the most points and Jackson the most rebounds

Shawn Jones and Reggie Upshaw were not getting the playing time Jackson was/is getting. They were on much better teams with way better players ahead of them. If either one was on this team they would be out performing Jackson by a lot.

Shawn Jones and Reggie Upshaw were not getting the playing time Jackson was/is getting. They were on much better teams with way better players ahead of them. If either one was on this team they would be out performing Jackson by a lot.
Jones: 10.9 minutes, 4.1 points, 2.3 rebounds.
Upshaw: 20.5 minutes, 6.4 points, 3.5 rebounds.
Jackson: 20.7 minutes, 5.5 points, 4.8 rebounds.
According to ESPN.

I've seem players take huge leaps from their freshman years to their sophomore season. Forward Randy Henry (6-9) who played in the eighties did very little his freshman year but was huge contributor his sophmore year and one of the best players we had had in his junior and senior years which were on some of Bruce Stewart's best teams

Upshaw and Jackson averaged 20 minutes per game. Jones averaged 16 minutes.

Jones had more fouls which is probably why he didn't get more minutes.

SHAWN JONES

TYSON JACKSON

REGGIE UPSHAW

The difference is what was said earlier. Upshaw had better talent around him, which meant fewer opportunities, because points and rebounds were spread around by other equally good players.

If there is anyone on this board that believes there is someone on this current team better than Reggie Upshaw then I'm going to straight up call you a f'n moron. These stats being posted above are paramount to a political post to try to influence an argument. I don't need stats to know that Upshaw - though he may not have been a stat hog - was a key early contributor who blossomed into a stud due to the elite coaching and instruction that he was getting. I don't need stats to tell me that Upshaw would dominate anybody on this current team 10 out of 10 times.

What coaching are these current kids getting? Maybe some of them could become as good as Upshaw if they were receiving instruction, but where is that instruction? Everyone on this team plays matador defense. Everyone on this team jacks up wild shots. Everyone on this team plays with reckless abandon and commits unearthly amounts of turnovers. Where is the coaching? The lack of coaching and instruction is so much further worse than even I was expecting. I looked at Sims turnover numbers. He has turned the ball over per minute played more each year over his freshman season. No one is really improving. In fact, players seem to be regressing.

I'm so sick of people on this board trying to find a way to find an excuse of the next day's cop-out for this absurd joke of a program now. I tried to warn everyone on this board about this hire from day one. All I got was ridiculed. Some hurled insults toward me. Others have just been pure assholes, because I offered my objective and unbiased opinion base on what I have observed and what I have studied over the years in athletics. And some of you are still trying to make excuses for where we are in spite of what is obviously slapping you right in the face.

It's an utter disgrace what we have going on in our athletics department right now. Frankly, there aren't enough of you - enough of us demanding excellence from this university, and because there aren't enough this is what we get. I hope you all love what we have become now. We are now a university stuck in a quagmire where the results range from mediocrity to shit show. And there are no championships in sight anywhere in just about any sport.

The difference is what was said earlier. Upshaw had better talent around him, which meant fewer opportunities, because points and rebounds were spread around by other equally good players.

If there is anyone on this board that believes there is someone on this current team better than Reggie Upshaw then I'm going to straight up call you a f'n moron. These stats being posted above are paramount to a political post to try to influence an argument. I don't need stats to know that Upshaw - though he may not have been a stat hog - was a key early contributor who blossomed into a stud due to the elite coaching and instruction that he was getting. I don't need stats to tell me that Upshaw would dominate anybody on this current team 10 out of 10 times.

What coaching are these current kids getting? Maybe some of them could become as good as Upshaw if they were receiving instruction, but where is that instruction? Everyone on this team plays matador defense. Everyone on this team jacks up wild shots. Everyone on this team plays with reckless abandon and commits unearthly amounts of turnovers. Where is the coaching? The lack of coaching and instruction is so much further worse than even I was expecting. I looked at Sims turnover numbers. He has turned the ball over per minute played more each year over his freshman season. No one is really improving. In fact, players seem to be regressing.

I'm so sick of people on this board trying to find a way to find an excuse of the next day's cop-out for this absurd joke of a program now. I tried to warn everyone on this board about this hire from day one. All I got was ridiculed. Some hurled insults toward me. Others have just been pure assholes, because I offered my objective and unbiased opinion base on what I have observed and what I have studied over the years in athletics. And some of you are still trying to make excuses for where we are in spite of what is obviously slapping you right in the face.

It's an utter disgrace what we have going on in our athletics department right now. Frankly, there aren't enough of you - enough of us demanding excellence from this university, and because there aren't enough this is what we get. I hope you all love what we have become now. We are now a university stuck in a quagmire where the results range from mediocrity to shit show. And there are no championships in sight anywhere in just about any sport.
I don't consider posting stats saying one is better than the other. To me Jackson has more of an upside than Upshaw or Jones. He may not reach is potential, but I hope he does. What I am sick of is you thinking just because we are not 100% negative about everything like you we are making excuses or not demanding excellence. Coming on here and whining and talking about how you told everyone is not demanding excellence or really helping in any way. You are free to do that, but do you really need all of us to tell you how right you were? Aren't you supposed to be done with this program and university anyway?

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Upshaw isn't the same type of player as Jones and Jackson. Upshaw is a 3/4.

Jones and Jackson are a 4/5 and I was really thinking of Jackson as a 5 in the mold of Chris Ingram, Randy Henry, Warren Kidd, Theron Hudson, Torin Walker, etc.

No matter, Jackson has a bright future. I think Lawrence does too and Johnson looks like he is developing an all-around game.

LOL! We did improve with Kermit. Kermit was heads and shoulders above this dude. This dude we have can't coach on this level. I said I'd take 15 -16 wins a season over what we have right now. I'd take Greg or Kermit back in a heartbeat.

I don't consider posting stats saying one is better than the other. To me Jackson has more of an upside than Upshaw or Jones. He may not reach is potential, but I hope he does. What I am sick of is you thinking just because we are not 100% negative about everything like you we are making excuses or not demanding excellence. Coming on here and whining and talking about how you told everyone is not demanding excellence or really helping in any way. You are free to do that, but do you really need all of us to tell you how right you were? Aren't you supposed to be done with this program and university anyway?

That's crazy talk! Jones was a CUSA player of the year. Upshaw was a stud and is one of the reason we had so much success in the NCAA tournament. I can see Jackson being a good player for us, along the line of a JT Sulton if he can get a mid range jump shot but I don't see him ever being a Upshaw or Jones.

First of all. It's not about being negative. I was very honest, cordial, and realistic especially early on. All I stated from the outside is that I was apprehensive about this hire and laid out the reasons, but that I would give him a chance. From that moment you started attacking not just what I was saying but calling me out personally. Every single post I made from the first one you had something to say about it. So, take a hard look in the mirror.

You can be sick all you want. I'm sick of people like you acting like everything is fine. You embody the same thing happening in Murphy and Cope right now. It's "supporters" like you why we are in this position we are in. Not one time have you come out and said this is unacceptable that our coach is only winning 20% of his games. It's alumni and donors that fund what we do here (though the univ has ostensibly said to hell with fans so I guess they are planning for a 100% subsidized athletic program...that's going to go over well with state bean counters). When I stated that using our financial support is one of the few leverage points we have to express our lack of support for the current state of things you attacked that too. You've tried everything you can - especially when I say something - to make it appear as though I'm off my rocker and don't know what I'm talking about. Well, you don't look so savvy now. And instead of owning up to the fact that you've doubled and triple down on a bad position your recourse is to try to further paint me as the misguided bad guy once again. Shame on you. Sorry you don't like it. Feel free to not read what I say, ignore button, or whatever you want to do. But I have nothing further to say to you on this board. Cheers.

First of all. It's not about being negative. I was very honest, cordial, and realistic especially early on. All I stated from the outside is that I was apprehensive about this hire and laid out the reasons, but that I would give him a chance. From that moment you started attacking not just what I was saying but calling me out personally. Every single post I made from the first one you had something to say about it. So, take a hard look in the mirror.

You can be sick all you want. I'm sick of people like you acting like everything is fine. You embody the same thing happening in Murphy and Cope right now. It's "supporters" like you why we are in this position we are in. Not one time have you come out and said this is unacceptable that our coach is only winning 20% of his games. It's alumni and donors that fund what we do here (though the univ has ostensibly said to hell with fans so I guess they are planning for a 100% subsidized athletic program...that's going to go over well with state bean counters). When I stated that using our financial support is one of the few leverage points we have to express our lack of support for the current state of things you attacked that too. You've tried everything you can - especially when I say something - to make it appear as though I'm off my rocker and don't know what I'm talking about. Well, you don't look so savvy now. And instead of owning up to the fact that you've doubled and triple down on a bad position your recourse is to try to further paint me as the misguided bad guy once again. Shame on you. Sorry you don't like it. Feel free to not read what I say, ignore button, or whatever you want to do. But I have nothing further to say to you on this board. Cheers.
I never said everything was fine. I say all of the time I am not happy with where we are. I never said you were wrong. The biggest problem you have is you put words in people's mouths. I have voiced my displeasure with everything going on with the basketball program right now. I am not happy with it. Find me somewhere that I said everything was fine or that you were wrong. Maybe early in the season when I had hope we would improve like last year. You paint me as the bad person for supporting the players no matter what happens in the administration or the coaches we have. I do think the idea of not supporting the team you say you are a fan of because of the bad decisions of the administration is misguided. I do think saying you are done with the program but will come back when they are good is misguided. Not saying you are a bad guy for doing that. I have no idea if you are a bad guy or not. You started to accuse us of saying Jackson was better than Upshaw and Jones or whoever. All I did was post actual stats since others were posting conflicting information. Again trying to see at least a little bit of positive in all the negative is not a bad thing. It does not mean I do not try my best to put pressure on people to make changes or I don't think major changes need to be made.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
All I know is we are a tad less than 5 years removed from sending Tom Izzo home from St. Louis in the 1st round. Fun times.

Now we are 10 pt. Dogs......at HOME.......to WKU and UAB. Sad times.

Reactions: cipman2000
ADVERTISEMENT