ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL MBB: Belmont @ Middle Tennessee (ASN), 6:00PM Thursday, Dec. 17

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
the bruins are 6-4 going into their game with Ouachita Baptist tonight. They've lost on the road at Arizona State, BYU, Evansville, and Valpo. They have victories against Marquette, Western Kentucky, Lipscomb (twice), Kennesaw State and South Alabama.

RPI (Warren Nolan)

MT 76
Belmont 81

RealtimeRPI.com

MT 74
Belmont 82

Sagarin rating HOME ADVANTAGE=[ 3.49]

MT 107 76.56
Belmont 83 78.41

I hope we can beat these guys. It's all going to depend on how we defend the 3.

I hope we can beat these guys. It's all going to depend on how we defend the 3.

watched a little of their game against ouchita. Thought I was watching the movie Glory Road for awhile. A lot of poor shooting against a 2-7 DII team. for most of the second half single digit lead (down to three at one point) for the bruins. Belmont getting a lot of home cooking by ovc refs to help them out though. Just ridiculously bad officiating during the time I was watching. Stopped watching with about five minutes left.

Last edited:
watched a little of their game against ouchita. Thought I was watching the movie Glory Road for awhile. A lot of poor shooting against a 2-7 DII team. for most of the second half single digit lead (down to three at one point) for the bruins. Belmont getting a lot of home cooking by ovc refs to help them out though. Just ridiculously bad officiating during the time I was watching. Stopped watching with about five minutes left.
Belmont has plenty of talent this year but has definitely been inconsistent with their shooting. They live and die by the 3.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
goblueraiders.com:

BLUE RAIDERS MEET BRUINS ON THURSDAY NIGHT

GAME INFORMATION
(FULL GAME NOTES)

Hashtag: #TrueFamily, #BlueRaiders
Twitter: MT_MBB
Instagram: @MT_MBB
Facebook: Blue Raider Athletics

Date: Thursday, Dec. 17
Time: 6:05 p.m.
Teams: Belmont (7-4) at Middle Tennessee (6-2)
Stadium: The Murphy Center
TV: American Sports Network
Radio: WMOT-FM (89.5), WGNS (1450 AM/100.5 FM/101.9 FM), Game 2 (102.5/94.9/95.1)
Play-by-Play:Chip Walters
Analysis: Kyle Turnham

Live Audio/Live Streaming | Live Stats

Shocked to hear that. After a year long battle with concussion symptoms I thought his playing days were done.

Every football team in America deals with concussions almost weekly. Those players miss a week and are back to playing.

Our basketball player get a concussion and misses months and months.

Really strange. Something doesn't smell right.

excerpt:

...The Belmont Bruins will travel to play the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders in a non-conference game on Thursday.

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders are 6-2 and are coming off of a win against Auburn by a score of 88-81 in overtime. Middle Tennessee trailed by 9 points halftime but stormed back to force overtime and get the win. Reggie Upshaw led Middle Tennessee with 21 points and 13 rebounds. Darnell Harris added 13 points and 9 rebounds for Middle Tennessee. Middle Tennessee tied their opponent in rebounding with 47 rebounds and had 14 assists in their victory. Middle Tennessee is averaging 70.3 points per game while giving up 67.9 points per game. Middle Tennessee is also averaging 37.8 rebounds per game and 14 assists per game. Giddy Potts is averaging 14.8 points per game and 6.3 rebounds per game, while Reggie Upshaw is averaging 12.4 points per game and 8.3 rebounds per game for Middle Tennessee. Middle Tennessee is shooting 64.1% on free throws, 38.6% on three-pointers, and 44.4% on all field goal attempts.

The Belmont Bruins are 7-4 and are coming off of a win against Ouachita Baptist by a score of 80-54. Belmont led by 15 points at halftime and cruised to an easy victory in this game. Mack Mercer had 16 points and 4 rebounds for Belmont. Evan Bradds added 12 points and 14 rebounds for the Bruins. Belmont out rebounded their opponent by a total of 37-35 and had 12 assists in their victory. Belmont is averaging 84.5 points per game while giving up 78.5 points per game. Belmont is also averaging 34.8 rebounds per game and 17.3 assists per game. Evan Bradds is averaging 18.7 points per game and 8.6 rebounds per game, while Craig Bradshaw is averaging 16.5 points per game and 4 rebounds per game for Belmont. Belmont is shooting 72% on free throws, 35.6% on three-pointers, and 51.2% on all field goal attempts.

Belmont is 9-2 ATS in their last 11 road games. Belmont is 4-1 ATS in their last 5 non-conference games. The over is 8-2 in Belmont’s last 10 games overall. Middle Tennessee is 2-5 ATS in their last 7 Thursday games. The over is 6-2 in Middle Tennessee’s last 8 games against the Ohio Valley.....

Getting Ivory back who is a true PG could be huge.
I have seen this quite a few times over the last few years. Not just with our program but programs all over. For the life of me I dont understand how football players return from concussions faster than basketball players

I have seen this quite a few times over the last few years. Not just with our program but programs all over. For the life of me I dont understand how football players return from concussions faster than basketball players

I wonder if FB players having helmets for protection saves them from the worst effects. I told somebody that it would not surprise me at some point if you don't see basketball and soccer players wearing some sort of head gear in the future.

Concussions affect everyone differently and also can accumulate over time.
Go look at the concussion that ended Troy Aikman's career. It just looked like a normal play.
Once you've had one, it's exponentially easier to get the next one.
Also, there's very little middle ground in basketball on concussions. If you are having a concussion causing impact, it's going to be insanely violent and without head gear.
However, the biggest thing I think that makes concussions worse in basketball sometimes is the lack of a mouthguard.
You don't wear a mouthpiece in football to keep your teeth from getting knocked out, you wear it to brace your jaws for the impacts you're going to receive. Otherwise, every player would get a concussion on every play.

Concussions affect everyone differently and also can accumulate over time.
Go look at the concussion that ended Troy Aikman's career. It just looked like a normal play.
Once you've had one, it's exponentially easier to get the next one.
Also, there's very little middle ground in basketball on concussions. If you are having a concussion causing impact, it's going to be insanely violent and without head gear.
However, the biggest thing I think that makes concussions worse in basketball sometimes is the lack of a mouthguard.
You don't wear a mouthpiece in football to keep your teeth from getting knocked out, you wear it to brace your jaws for the impacts you're going to receive. Otherwise, every player would get a concussion on every play.

I agree; concussion affect everyone differently. From experience, I know that some people NEVER completely recover from them. I don't think there's anything fishy going on here.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I'm really glad to hear that Ivory has a shot to return. Although, I'm not sure this is the game that you want a PG who hasn't played in a year to try to get back on the court.

Kermit really needs to see to it that his team wins. I'm sick of watching MT lose to Belmont these last few years. Since the opening Murray St debacle, it does look like MT has vastly improved overall. Kermit has the players to win. Hopefully they can fight for the win. I'm hoping Kermit is flexible and adaptable in facing Belmont. It these past years, it seems like Byrd's teams throw some defenses and looks at MT that frustrates MT and Kermit struggles mightily to adjust.

Upshaw has proven himself to be a warrior and heck of a basketball player. It seems like almost every game, he is slow to start. Once he gets going after the first 5-10 mins of the game, Upshaw is just unreal.

As has been repeated already, perimeter defense will be critical in this game. Battles in the the backcourt on both ends of the court will be critical in this game.

I think this game just may end up being a huge game regarding the course of the season. C-USA looks wide open and winnable. Only LaTech looks to be off to a strong start. If MT were to have a pretty good record after a good conference season, these early season OOC games vs decent reputable teams will be of tremendous significance regarding any potential plans come March. Today's game vs Belmont is pretty much one of those games you have to win to give your resume a chance at a decent look. If you lose this game vs Belmont, it will likely haunt you come March even if you have a good conference run.

BTW, I suspect that if Ivory were to play tonight that it would be for only limited mins to gradually adjust to playing again. I'm guessing they'd be happy if he was increasing quality mins to be a reasonable contributor by conference play.

Wow, wow, wow. What a performance. I'm not sure Belmont is as good as they have been in years past but we just dominated them tonight.

Anyone know what was going on with Aldonis Foote? He's the only one that didn't see any playing time and I don't recall seeing him on the bench.

Wow! Didn't see that whoopin' coming. I had some reason for hope considering just how well the team has been improving since that awful performance at Murray St. Even with the improvement, I thought if MT were to win it would be a 3 or 4 point win in a grinder. I'm so glad Kermit finally whooped that sweater wearing nerd. It about looked like a reversal of the last few seasons. MT looked well prepared and ready to play. Belmont did not look prepared or ready to play.

To Kermit's credit, it looked like the team executed what Kermit was wanting to run in the game. For example, I think Kermit was concerned about Belmont's ability to get out in transition and score on the break. If I read the stat sheet right, MT held Belmont to 0 points off of the fast break. Really impressive. Credit the MT players, they played tenacious and tough ball. I like how this team is starting to show signs of the aggressive tough team we saw in the C-USA tourney at the end of last season.

Us MT folks see a little too often those games where it looked like the team didn't even want to get off the bus. You know, those games where the team doesn't look anything like the team you watch in most of the other games. Belmont sort of looked like that. Granted, MT's defense had a lot to with that. MT's D was crushing. I would normally expect Belmont to make a little run down the stretch when MT opened it up by about 20. I was expecting them to close it to about 10 or 12 in the last 7 or 8 mins. It just didn't happen. Again, credit MT's effort for crushing Belmont to the point where in the closing mins Belmont looked ready to get back on the bus. I imagine Byrd will use that whoopin to get them back on track for ovc play. Kind of like the Murray St loss was a wake up call for MT. Whatever the case, it was nice to see MT be the team up and ready to play in this game.

Don't look now, but there could be a little confidence building that MT just might have a shot at a good conference run. Of course Ga St and S Dak St on the road will be real tests. The Ga St game on the road right before Christmas makes me really nervous. It has the makings of a trap game to where a team goes on the road right before Christmas and doesn't play well because their mind is on getting home for a few days at Christmas. Hopefully the team and it's leaders will keep that focus, edge, and fight so that there isn't a let down vs a team that is otherwise plenty capable of beating you.

Reactions: MTsumner92
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT