ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Link to introducing Derek Mason as FB HC

I watched the Walden presser and it was a no for me. I’ve learned to trust my gut and I don’t give a damn what he did at Peay. He seems like a walking ad for ADHD. That jolly go lucky shit only gets you so far. We call that positive toxicity and it’s not for me.

I watched the Walden presser and it was a no for me. I’ve learned to trust my gut and I don’t give a damn what he did at Peay. He seems like a walking ad for ADHD. That jolly go lucky shit only gets you so far. We call that positive toxicity and it’s not for me.
LOL. Mason will be a perfect fit then.

"There are good bones here and those bones are delicious." - Derek Mason said that sh!t Tuesday. That's our guy. LOL. Let me break out my checkbook.

Last edited:
Saying Walden is not genuine but Mason is.... is hilarious to me.

NMSU is 46 miles from UTEP and look what they did so it can totally be done. UTEP won 7 games 2 years ago and 5 in 22. It's not like they were 0-8 like our coach. LOL.
I never said anything about Mason. I was commenting that Walden seemed "off" or was trying a little too hard. I like the energy, but can he back that up? Time will tell. I have family in El Paso and it's not a nice place, trust me if you haven't been. UTEP is a step below North Texas from what I see in terms of interest from fans, prospective students, media coverage, etc.

Reactions: mtfblue
I never said anything about Mason. I was commenting that Walden seemed "off" or was trying a little too hard. I like the energy, but can he back that up? Time will tell. I have family in El Paso and it's not a nice place, trust me if you haven't been. UTEP is a step below North Texas from what I see in terms of interest from fans, prospective students, media coverage, etc.
I hear you. That's simply our direct comparison because we hired Mason over Walden. We will see how it shakes out. It's all good. We don't have to agree.

How was that press conference immature? I don't get that. What? You want the dude not to be excited? You want him to be a corpse with Stockstill energy or Mason saying the bones are delicous with no one hardly responding? Boom. You got your wish.

Walden has to build a program from nothing. He's literally going to be running up an Everest level mountain to get UTEP to even be a little blip on the RADAR and he knows it. He said it. He's young and not perfect but he will get results. Mason did a freaking dance for going 6-6 in 2018. He then followed that up by going 3 - 17 the next 2 seasons. Now, we have to be Mason apologists saying well, he was in a good league and ours is sh!tty so he should do ok here which is kinda saying he's a sh!tty coach but whatever. I'm here for it. I'm just not gonna sugarcoat it and say we won the lottery when we all know that this was a McPhee led hire. MT is UTEP. It's a dead program and we need an over the top energy guy to breathe life into it. I don't think Mason is that dude but what the hell? I can't change the hire anyway so let's ride.

I'm praying this will be a Jerry Kill situation and we flourish but it's a prayer and a long one at that.
You’ve got your opinion and I’ve got mine. I’m not going to change yours so there’s no point in trying. Scotty’s energy felt over the top and from my perspective. It didn’t seem genuine to me. You and I differ on Mason’s sincerity as well.

You’ve got your opinion and I’ve got mine. I’m not going to change yours so there’s no point in trying. Scotty’s energy felt over the top and from my perspective. It didn’t seem genuine to me. You and I differ on Mason’s sincerity as well.
It's all good brother. We'll see what happens. I hope I'm wrong and we win this thing at some point.

Sorry but I'm not that impressed. Well see. I threw up listening to Massaro. Not once did he talk about winning the conference. I felt like he was talking to a room filled with 3rd graders. The frustration continues.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
LOL. Mason will be a perfect fit then.

"There are good bones here and those bones are delicious." - Derek Mason said that sh!t Tuesday. That's our guy. LOL. Let me break out my checkbook.
I will admit that delicious piece was a little creepy. But he’s not saying anything that we have not already said. We have the pieces for sure and the fact that McPhee wanted this ensures that DM won’t get railroad on the back end.

Sorry but I'm not that impressed. Well see. I threw up listening to Massaro. Not once did he talk about winning the conference. I felt like he was talking to a room filled with 3rd graders. The frustration continues.
Yeah, I’m sorry but CM and SM would not win anyone over at the presser
CM was way out of his element and looked totally unprepared. Almost like he was out of the loop on the whole process
Does McPhee even know Chris’ name? He kept referring to him as “ the AD “
Both are a joke.

I agree on the presser. Left much to be desired. I'm not sure his bones comment came out right, but the sentiment is true. It's not like we've had 4 wins total the past three years or something. We had just peaked at Stock, and were regressing. The foundation is there, it just needs built higher.

The radio and video interviews after the presser were much better from CM and CDM both. McP I could care less about.

Reactions: Noogaraider1
He said he has coached 10 years in Tennessee. That's 25 in dog years. Lol. You can't make this stuff up.
I think he was referring to the growth. It has grown in 10 years how much most places change in 25. He also said he has been here 10 years.

Think most of us have been around the block to understand "talk is cheap". Deliverables on W&Ls, compliance, and academic integrity standards are the elements of which coach is judged. Obviously, initial press conferences yield the greatest program optimism that anyone receives (short of winning conference/national championships). As we saw with Deion Sanders' at Colorado, quality talent prevails by the end of the season. Colorado ultimately ran out of gas as hype only carries so far against bench strength and smart tactical decision-making.

First and foremost, I'm interested in Coach Mason's ability to develop a solid winning culture. Without it, no championships will ever be earned with this or any regime. Then we're back to the drawing board in 3-4 years. The next hires in AC and position coaches are vital and think Coach Mason has two years to demonstrate it's direction and improvement. Fans will know very quickly if executive decision makers were sold a bill of goods without doing enough due diligence. Or did we decide to cut corners to appease stakeholders to say we changed out front, but inside nothing else really changed regarding culture.

Reactions: Hop45 and BlueAlpha
Think most of us have been around the block to understand "talk is cheap". Deliverables on W&Ls, compliance, and academic integrity standards are the elements of which coach is judged. Obviously, initial press conferences yield the greatest program optimism that anyone receives (short of winning conference/national championships). As we saw with Deion Sanders' at Colorado, quality talent prevails by the end of the season. Colorado ultimately ran out of gas as hype only carries so far against bench strength and smart tactical decision-making.

First and foremost, I'm interested in Coach Mason's ability to develop a solid winning culture. Without it, no championships will ever be earned with this or any regime. Then we're back to the drawing board in 3-4 years. The next hires in AC and position coaches are vital and think Coach Mason has two years to demonstrate it's direction and improvement. Fans will know very quickly if executive decision makers were sold a bill of goods without doing enough due diligence. Or did we decide to cut corners to appease stakeholders to say we changed out front, but inside nothing else really changed regarding culture.
Absolutely one of the most articulate, well thought out post on this board in the past month. Well said!👏👏👏

Sh!t takes time right? But because we have been victims of a program that gave too much time, I think we do look past the hype side but the hype side is needed and these kids they are recruiting are all about that hype stuff. It does resonate. You also can't get everything you need in one year either.

Deion just flipped the no. 1 OL in the country yesterday and signed the no. 6 OL. He is building. It may be hype that he talks to us but the kids are going there. I hope Mason can develop that culture. He hasn't done that yet but that doesn't mean it's not possible. We are in a position of hope in all of this though. I don't think we cut corners. McPhee led this whole thing and this is his vision and McPhee knows nothing about the fanbase, the area or MT culture in general. It feels very forced but maybe it works out great.

Reactions: Hop45
So I honestly have no idea how this works. Does that mean he has a staff already? The old staff is still here and recruting? Even though they may be replaced?

I guess I assumed he'd sit down with everyone and make his staff then go recruting.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
So I honestly have no idea how this works. Does that mean he has a staff already? The old staff is still here and recruting? Even though they may be replaced?

I guess I assumed he'd sit down with everyone and make his staff then go recruting.
Yep, old (existing) staff. Saw Shane Tucker's twitter handle mentioned a couple times.

Personally not a fan of this hire, it seems to be the complete opposite of everything Massaro said he was looking for, but I'm willing to give Mason a chance since it seems he values the backyard of his program more than Stock did

Last edited:
Reactions: ewglenn

Based on the pictures on social media, most of the guys on the road are GA’s / analysts.

What that means for Stewart, Mallory, West, Shafer and others, I don’t know.

I think you’ll see one or two coaches stay around but I think most will be elsewhere next season

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Based on the pictures on social media, most of the guys on the road are GA’s / analysts.

What that means for Stewart, Mallory, West, Shafer and others, I don’t know.

I think you’ll see one or two coaches stay around but I think most will be elsewhere next season
Shane Tucker was out there, but he may be the only position coach I have seen in any of these posts.

So much depends on quality of talent. In the SEC, damn near everyone is good. In CUSA talent can help overcoming a lot. If Mason can get that rolling, along with his deep coaching experience then we got a chance to turn this around quickly.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
If that was the reason then great...just not to weigh in on actual coaching acumen.
Kevin Creasy has a record of 201-22 (122-10 at Oakland) with 7 titles. Any knowledge on or off the field he wished to impart should be welcomed warmly by anybody involved in this decision. Hiring multiple coaches that know this area well should be a priority and I wouldn't be against one of them having a HS background

Since this administration touts continuity, McPhee prolly hid a clause in the fine print that all current staff gets to stay on in their current position.
JUST KIDDING!
Kinda …….

Last edited:
Not uncommon for the remaining staff to be on the road recruiting until the new staff is in place. Hopefully Mason has guys in mind that he can hire quickly

Reactions: ewglenn
By this point most of the staff has indicated they were on the road ( West, Mallory and Shafer are the exceptions that I found at this point).

Reactions: crposton
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT