ADVERTISEMENT

2024 MT FB Staff

AustinLewis

Hall of Famer
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
Here's a list of Derek Mason's initial 2023 staff as it is announced (with Twitter handle) :

HC : Derek Mason (@CoachDerekMason)
DC / S : Brian Stewart (@Stewdg1)
OC / QB : Bodie Reeder (@CoachBodie4)
ST : Luke Paschall (@coachpaschall)

Offensive Position Coaches
OL : Kendall Simmons (@bigk73)
TE : Joe Ganz (@CoachJoeGanz)
RB : Calvin Lowry (@CalvinLowry)
WR : Cornelius Williams (@CoachCWill)

Defensive Position Coaches
DL : Vernon Hargreaves (@vh3omega)
LB : AJ Reisig (@CoachAJReisig)
CB : Bryce Lewis (@Coach_B_Lewis30)

Last edited:
Here's a list of Derek Mason's initial 2023 staff as it is announced (with Twitter handle) :

HC : Derek Mason (@CoachDerekMason)
DC / S : Brian Stewart (@Stewdg1)
OC : ???

Offensive Position Coaches
OL : Kendall Simmons (@bigk73)
TE :
RB :
QB :
WR : Cornelius Williams (@CoachCWill)

Defensive Position Coaches
DL :
LB :
CB : Bryce Lewis (@Coach_B_Lewis30)
Thanks for the update, looks like I missed the news on a new WR coach. Has a pretty good resume, from what I can tell, it’s likely he & CDM were at Auburn the same year?

Reactions: AustinLewis
Thanks for the update, looks like I missed the news on a new WR coach. Has a pretty good resume, from what I can tell, it’s likely he & CDM were at Auburn the same year?
yes.

Got fired halfway through the year (probably unjustly). Auburn's offense was pretty bad that year so he was probably a scapegoat to an extent.

C-Will is known for being an excellent recruiter.

Reactions: BlueAlpha
yes.

Got fired halfway through the year (probably unjustly). Auburn's offense was pretty bad that year so he was probably a scapegoat to an extent.

C-Will is known for being an excellent recruiter.
Harsin was an idiot. All the proof you need is Bo Nix bailing out of there and heading to Oregon where he ended up a Heisman finalist.

Harsin was an idiot. All the proof you need is Bo Nix bailing out of there and heading to Oregon where he ended up a Heisman finalist.

Uhm....about that. Auburn has an opposite but similar problem to us. Which is they have too many boosters with big money helping to make them make bad decisions. From Presidents to ADs to coaches. Auburn is a perpetual s-show because of bad leadership and other people getting in the way making it worse.

Uhm....about that. Auburn has an opposite but similar problem to us. Which is they have too many boosters with big money helping to make them make bad decisions. From Presidents to ADs to coaches. Auburn is a perpetual s-show because of bad leadership and other people getting in the way making it worse.
No argument about that

I don’t get the really slow pace at filling our coaching staff. Don’t they want to have additional help recruiting the portal right now? And I doubt a lot of kids want to sign some place not knowing who the coaches are. Seems like a dumb strategy.

I don’t get the really slow pace at filling our coaching staff. Don’t they want to have additional help recruiting the portal right now? And I doubt a lot of kids want to sign some place not knowing who the coaches are. Seems like a dumb strategy.
Right now, some of the “old staff” is still helping and may still be in the running to stay with CDM.

Plus, it’s the holidays. It’s a dead period (for recruiting), I believe. And AFCA is in a week or two. Should see some movement at AFCA

Right now, some of the “old staff” is still helping and may still be in the running to stay with CDM.

Plus, it’s the holidays. It’s a dead period (for recruiting), I believe. And AFCA is in a week or two. Should see some movement at AFCA
Isn’t that AFCA meeting at Opryland?

Anyone who didn't sign on early signing day is going to sign in February, so there's still time.

I do wonder if Mason has some coaches ready to go, but they're involved in bowls and will be announced afterwards.

Anyone who didn't sign on early signing day is going to sign in February, so there's still time.

I do wonder if Mason has some coaches ready to go, but they're involved in bowls and will be announced afterwards.
That’s my belief.

Most of the coaches that have been announced were already available (in some form or fashion).

1/2 and still a lot of holes on our staff. I’m skeptical of the idea we have interest in coaches with teams still playing. If that is not true, does this mean Mason’s Rolodex isn’t very good or deep?

it has been a dead period, teams still playing this past weekend. Coaches on vacation, so you should see movement this week as admins and coaches are back in the office.

Reactions: AustinLewis
1/2 and still a lot of holes on our staff. I’m skeptical of the idea we have interest in coaches with teams still playing. If that is not true, does this mean Mason’s Rolodex isn’t very good or deep?
Mason's rolodex is plenty deep enough. It's just a matter of lining up the guys. As @mtfblue said, it's a dead period. Coaches are on vacation (if they aren't coaching in a bowl game).

My guess is you'll see a LOT of noise re: staff in the next week or so.

One thing to remember, we don’t pay that well for coaching relative to most FBS jobs.

So if you’re a coach on the staff of some bowl bound team, it’s very possible that a bowl bonus is nothing to walk away from.

Tennessee distributes something like 500k amongst its staff for a bowl win. So if you have a MTSU job lined up for 150k, but you might make 50k for a bowl win at your SEC school, then yes, you stay that extra week.

I think the staff will be filled out in the next 10 days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT