ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Spray resigns!

Very appreciative of everything he's given to Middle, both as a player and coach. Good luck to him in his private ventures.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I can not say this enough - this is a BIG hire. S&C coaches spend more time with the players than the coaches do so this hire will have a direct impact on FB success going forward.

There's been some speculation / reports (elsewhere) that Spray was fired. This is absolutely not the case (if Spray was fired, why would he get to stay on the job until Jan 15th?)

I can not say this enough - this is a BIG hire. S&C coaches spend more time with the players than the coaches do so this hire will have a direct impact on FB success going forward.

This is an opportunity to really impact the football program in a positive manner. A hire along the magnitude and impact, a Scott Shafer kind of hire.

i have fired people and let them finish, sometimes its just a pr move so it doesn't hurt them down the road seeking employment.

This does not surprise me at all. I have been unimpressed by what I have seen. I agree with the above post that this is an extremely critical hire.

isn't this the same thing that happened to Russell Patterson, guys always hurt and after that season he was let go also?

i have fired people and let them finish, sometimes its just a pr move so it doesn't hurt them down the road seeking employment.
Let me put it another way - he (Spray) was not fired. S&C coaches go on the road with the team, in the office by 6:00am (or earlier), and stay until the end of practice (and often much later). He wants to spend more time with his family.

Let me put it another way - he (Spray) was not fired. S&C coaches go on the road with the team, in the office by 6:00am (or earlier), and stay until the end of practice (and often much later). He wants to spend more time with his family.

I'm not saying he did get fired, i answered the question that you can get fired and continue to qork until a certain date.

I'm not saying he did get fired, i answered the question that you can get fired and continue to qork until a certain date.

Right, but that wasn't the case here. Spray left on his own terms. This guy was a National S&C coach of the year. However, he put in 85-90 hours a week. You can do that for a while and he did but as time goes by, it wears you down.

Reactions: AustinLewis
"Spray said his next move will be working for Mathews Team Sports, a sports apparel and equipment distributor based out of Franklin."

From the Tennessean article.

Good Luck, Jason

Reactions: AustinLewis
Wouldn't surprise me if Spray is making more at Ensworth than he made at MT. These so-called "elite" private schools are willing to pay big bucks to someone who is in either a high-profile position or who can help them promote their superior image. Regular teachers, not so much.

Love that Spray has bought into the "private is better" bull crap when he is quoted as looking forward to the "The opportunity for my kids to (be) there one day is priceless" as if Oakland where he went and all Rutherford Co. schools don't produce many exceptional graduates.

Love that Spray has bought into the "private is better" bull crap when he is quoted as looking forward to the "The opportunity for my kids to (be) there one day is priceless" as if Oakland where he went and all Rutherford Co. schools don't produce many exceptional graduates.
I have lived my entire life in Rutherford County. I went to both private and public schools (I graduated from Oakland) and I can tell you that my private education was far superior to my public education.

Hmm...wonder if his departure from here was not his choice
It was his choice. He had worked as a S&C coach for 15+ years, often working 70-80+ hours a week. At Ensworth, he’ll have shorter days AND the ability to work with NFL guys.

It’s Spray’s job to sell his program. Talking about the opportunity for his kids to attend one of the better private schools in the area is selling the program...

Unlike some coaches who spend their days selling a university to HS prospects while their kid goes elsewhere

Reactions: MTTim and T2Tool
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT