ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana Gov. Mike Pence Endorses Cruz

nashvillegoldenflash

Hall of Famer
Dec 10, 2006
Indiana Gov. Mike Pence endorsed Ted Cruz on Friday ahead of the Hoosier State's critical primary. But he also commended Donald Trump for tapping into "the frustration of millions of working Americans."

"I'm not against anybody, but I will be voting for Ted Cruz," Pence said in a radio interview on WIBC in Indianapolis.

The measured show of support comes four days before the state's primary contest that is essential for Cruz to win in order to prevent Donald Trump from securing the 1,237 delegates needed to clinch the GOP presidential nomination.

"I see Ted Cruz as a principled conservative who has dedicated his career to advocating the Reagan agenda," Pence said. "And I'm pleased to support him."

However, before announcing the endorsement, Pence went out of his way to praise Cruz's chief rival.

"I particularly want to commend Donald Trump, who I think has given voice to the frustration of millions of working Americans with the lack of progress in Washington, D.C.," the governor said. Pence added that he was not trying to tell Indiana voters who to support and that he will enthusiastically back whichever candidate wins the nomination.

Cruz teased the endorsement while campaigning in Indiana earlier in the day.

"I have tremendous respect for Gov. Mike Pence. He has been an incredible leader for the state of Indiana," the Texas senator told reporters.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/source-indiana-gov-mike-pence-endorse-ted-cruz-n564811

Pence’s endorsement was rather half-hearted. He is voting for Cruz, but thinks everyone should make up their own mind. It was as milquetoast as Pence has become of late. Kinda pathetic really and will please no one on any side.

Some will react with a finally!”, but I think we should be gracious here and thank Governor Pence for doing the right thing.

On a Friday before the weekend news cycle and Sunday shows, Governor Pence is going to endorse Ted Cruz. He’s going to do it on Greg Garrison’s talk radio show on WIBC, which is well regarded and listened to by conservatives across Indiana.

This is good news. As I noted this morning, the winds seem to have shifted in Ted Cruz’s favor. For a guy who supposedly cannot win the nomination, the Establishment GOP has collectively freaked out about him in the past 24 hours. That’s a big indication they know the polling has shifting.

In fact, more and more sources are telling me the race is very, very close in Indiana. Pence coming on board will, like the Fiorina pick, help shift the conversation more in Ted’s direction and highlight what is at stake.

http://theresurgent.com/mike-pence-will-endorse-ted-cruz-at-noon-today/

Indiana Gov. Mike Pence endorsed Ted Cruz on Friday ahead of the Hoosier State's critical primary. But he also commended Donald Trump for tapping into "the frustration of millions of working Americans."

"I'm not against anybody, but I will be voting for Ted Cruz," Pence said in a radio interview on WIBC in Indianapolis.

The measured show of support comes four days before the state's primary contest that is essential for Cruz to win in order to prevent Donald Trump from securing the 1,237 delegates needed to clinch the GOP presidential nomination.

"I see Ted Cruz as a principled conservative who has dedicated his career to advocating the Reagan agenda," Pence said. "And I'm pleased to support him."

However, before announcing the endorsement, Pence went out of his way to praise Cruz's chief rival.

"I particularly want to commend Donald Trump, who I think has given voice to the frustration of millions of working Americans with the lack of progress in Washington, D.C.," the governor said. Pence added that he was not trying to tell Indiana voters who to support and that he will enthusiastically back whichever candidate wins the nomination.

Cruz teased the endorsement while campaigning in Indiana earlier in the day.

"I have tremendous respect for Gov. Mike Pence. He has been an incredible leader for the state of Indiana," the Texas senator told reporters.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/source-indiana-gov-mike-pence-endorse-ted-cruz-n564811

Kind of a tepid endorsement, but I guess we'll take what we can get! Sure sounds like he's trying to straddle the fence, though, doesn't it? I guess his running for reelection might have something to do with that? ;)

BBJ, I believe Pence must have read Erikson's article he wrote yesterday and decided he had to finally make an endorsement.

Why the Hell Would I Ever Support Mike Pence Again?

“I will certainly remember that in the face of devastation we all know Donald Trump will cause as the Republican nominee in 2016, Mike Pence did nothing.”

I keep on my desk a copy of the seventh edition of The Conservative Mind: From Burke to Eliot. The book, originally written by Russell Kirk in 1953, is a seminal work on conservatism. The blurbs on the back praising the book range from William F. Buckley to Richard Nixon to David Frum.

Inside the cover is a note to me. “To Erick and Christy, Thanks for all your wonderful help in my race for minority leader. You made a difference in the cause, His best, Mike Pence.”

Pence had given me the book as a gift after his run for minority leader in Congress, which I actively supported. I have always been a Mike Pence fan. In 2008, I was one of a handful of people to privately meet with him and encourage him to enter the Presidential race that year. He declined, instead running for Governor of Indiana and I supported him there.

In Congress, Mike Pence was the standard bearer for conservatism. It was his cause. He was the elected Buckley. And I am now so thoroughly disappointed in him.

The 2016 Republican Presidential primary is a choice between a conservative and a shallow demagogue. The race now hinges on Indiana. Either Cruz will win and we can continue the fight to stop Trump or Cruz will lose and more likely than not guarantee a Trump nomination. A Trump nomination would destroy all that Mike Pence so tirelessly for so many years worked to achieve.

But Pence, in the face of this, remains on the sidelines. He has not yet wielded his influence in Indiana, the state he governs. Every day he sits on the sidelines is another day in which he could have made a difference. He has not used his influence in the conservative movement to rally against Trump.

In 2020, conservatives will need to remember who stood up against Trump and who sat silently by. We will need to remember those who collaborated with Trump and those who turned a blind eye to Trump. We will have to remember that the man who kept the fires of constitutional liberty lit for so long stayed so quiet.

Others may forget. But I will certainly remember than in the face of devastation we all know Donald Trump will cause as the Republican nominee in 2016, Mike Pence did nothing. And should he have any future ambition, he will need to a pay a price for his silence.

“I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth.” Rev. 3:15-16

_________________________________________________________________________________

I was getting ready to throw Pence under the bus but then saw where he finally made an endorsement of Cruz. I understand politicians have to be careful not to alienate their constituents but there are times when you have to put country ahead of self. As you know, I admire Sen. Chris McDaniel of Mississippi and often read his Facebook page. As an ardent Cruz supporter, he always defends him but at the same time is very careful not to criticize Trump because he knows that could hurt him politically in the future. I wish McDaniel would criticize Trump but am willing to give him a pass on it. While I'm on the subject of throwing people under the bus, I'm going to throw all of the Southern states under the bus for supporting Trump and will do the same for Indiana if the Hoosier State goes for Trump. As I stated before, I no longer want to live in a place that chooses nationalism over conservatism and will be moving back to Ohio as soon as my wife retires. As far as I'm concerned, the South that I once knew no longer exists.

Last edited:
Mike Pence: Why I will vote for Ted Cruz

On Tuesday, the eyes of the nation will focus on Indiana as Hoosiers head to the polls to play a critical role in the selection of candidates vying to serve as the next president of the United States. It has been a true joy to watch the people of our state play host to candidates from both parties and for Hoosiers of all backgrounds and beliefs to share their thoughts about the future of this great nation. To lead is to choose and this is our state’s time for choosing.

I had the pleasure to meet with all three candidates running for the Republican nomination and to hear their plans for America. We discussed the great progress taking place in Indiana’s economy and how our state needs a partner in the White House.

While I like and respect each of our candidates, I am voting for Ted Cruz on Tuesday.

In making my decision to support Ted, I am guided by the principles best espoused by former President Ronald Reagan. I am a Reagan Republican; drawn to his vision of less taxes, less government, traditional values and a strong military. Ted articulates that same agenda with an unwavering devotion to our Constitution, the sanctity of life, and the freedoms enshrined in the Bill of Rights.

Here in Indiana, our economy is among the best in the nation. We have cut taxes every year since I was elected governor and have seen businesses create more than 130,000 private sector jobs, decreasing unemployment from over 8% to 5% today. Manufacturing makes up 30% of our gross state product – the highest share in the nation – in part because we have worked together to create a friendly pro-business environment so that more companies choose to open up shop in Indiana and provide our citizens’ with good-paying jobs.

Ted’s plan to lower and simplify taxes also favors manufacturers: they pay no tax on exports, encouraging more companies to come to Indiana and the rest of America’s heartland, rather than transport jobs overseas.

Indiana needs a partner as president who will reform the burgeoning regulatory state that has cost good-paying jobs while increasing the cost of living for hardworking Americans. President Obama’s Clean Power Plan and Hillary Clinton’s promised war on coal, with the support of Democrat gubernatorial candidate John Gregg, is projected to eliminate thousands of mining jobs in southwest Indiana, 20,000 manufacturing jobs across the entire state, and increase Hoosier’s electric bills by 16%.

Ted has a plan to eliminate excessive government programs and has taken on big-government overreach. He led the fight to repeal Obamacare, one of the greatest burdens on families and small businesses and I have no doubt he will follow through in checking government power to restore prosperity to the people.

This is an exciting time for Hoosiers. The eyes of the nation are looking to Indiana to make a choice. I encourage every Hoosier to evaluate each of the candidates and exercise your right to vote in the May 3 Primary. My vote goes to Ted Cruz because he is a principled conservative who will work to protect our constitutional liberties, bring back better-paying jobs, and serve all Americans with the character and judgment needed to revive our national strength.

Pence is governor of Indiana.

http://www.indystar.com/story/opinion/2016/05/01/mike-pence-will-vote-ted-cruz/83792658/

You know that I love both of you! I just am looking at all this differently.

Flash and BBJ.

How much of the country do you think will never vote Cruz?

Meanwhile, all of these pieces are not converting one new Cruz supporter.

Rush, really - he is on the hit list? I just can't take you guys seriously if your going to throw everyone under the bus who the ideologues say are giving Trump cover all the time. Your backing yourself into a corner.
"How much of the country do you think will never vote Cruz"?

Mike, you lent criticism to a previous post by asking how those who predict Trump's demise couldn't predict his ascendancy. So, I doubt my answer would satisfy you.

"Meanwhile, all of these pieces are not converting one new Cruz supporter."

Mike, I thought this a forum for a handful of "otherwise" Blue Raider fans to share their thoughts, opinions, interesting articles, etc.? I wasn't aware that I, nor anyone else, were here to "convert." I honestly doubt any of us could, or would, "convert" anyone--even if we tried.

"Rush, really - he is on the hit list"?

Do you, or have you, listened to Rush very much in the past 6-8 months? As someone who used to listen to him daily (and have been since the late '80's), I began to notice his tone and demeanor change last summer (when the GOP primary campaign began in earnest). I began to notice how Rush--who used to be the very "Voice of Conservatism"-- slowly but surely began to morph into a Trump apologist. No matter what Trump said or did, Rush had an "explanation" for it--rather than any condemnation of it. So, rather than defend conservatism, Rush chose the low road to become a Trump apologist.

And, if you think it's just Flash and I who have noticed this--you're wrong. I've read where many formerly staunch Rush listeners have now turned him off. They're simply fed up with the daily Trump apologies and Trump propaganda that he espouses.

"I just can't take you guys seriously if your going to throw everyone under the bus who the ideologues say are giving Trump cover all the time."

Real sorry to hear you say that, Mike. I've never been anything but kind and respectful of your posts. In fact, I've even been very complimentary of them. However, to make the comment toward Flash and I that you can't take us "seriously," is uncalled for and pretty pathetic.

Just to set the record straight, I don't need an "ideologue" to tell me what or how to think, and I don't believe Flash does either. If we no longer decide to listen to someone such as Rush, or Hannity, or Laura Ingraham...it's because we're fed-up with their non-stop Trump love-fest. It has absolutely nothing to do with whatever some "ideologue" had to say about it.

"You're backing yourself into a corner."

If I've "backed myself into a corner," as you say, then my corner is one that stands for God, religious freedom, the Constitution, capitalism, a strong military, state's rights, and private property rights. Go ahead and paint me in that corner. I'll very gladly stay right there.

31 bigbadjohn45, Friday at 9:43 AM
Last edited: Friday at 1:07 PM

BBJ - Not sure if you are asking me a question. I assume you want me to respond to your response. Not sure what to say. Even a hint of a question about Cruz and you guys take it personally. And anyone that attempts to try to explain the lack of Cruz traction, or Trumps rise gets labeled the enemy or a RINO. And all I hear now are terms like "love-vest" and media bias - the more I here this from the Cruz camp the more Cruz isn't fit to become POTUS.

I just don't hook myself to a candidate, ever. Why does a subset group of believers think they know Gods plan on the politics of the USA? You cannot solve spiritual problems by changing physical circumstances (ex - electing Cruz) and yet my sense is that is where a lot of the angst is coming.

Reactions: RaiderDawg78
BBJ - Not sure if you are asking me a question. I assume you want me to respond to your response. Not sure what to say. Even a hint of a question about Cruz and you guys take it personally. And anyone that attempts to try to explain the lack of Cruz traction, or Trumps rise gets labeled the enemy or a RINO. And all I hear now are terms like "love-vest" and media bias - the more I here this from the Cruz camp the more Cruz isn't fit to become POTUS.

I just don't hook myself to a candidate, ever. Why does a subset group of believers think they know Gods plan on the politics of the USA? You cannot solve spiritual problems by changing physical circumstances (ex - electing Cruz) and yet my sense is that is where a lot of the angst is coming.

Mike, I was responding to your previous post as I addressed it point-by-point. And, since you didn't respond to it before, I thought I'd re-post my response to what you said. That's it in a nutshell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT